PDA

View Full Version : Greenstone Mountain Road @ Cherry Creek

Jelvis
08-15-2008, 12:42 PM
------------Deleted----

CT.45
08-15-2008, 04:23 PM
I live in Kamloops and want to explore the area for sure.

Kechika
08-15-2008, 06:29 PM
Seen a few nice bucks in that area

ruttinbuck
08-15-2008, 09:02 PM
Watched it burn from the highway.Been in once since the logging,biggest wall tents I ahve ever saw.RB

Wildfoot
08-15-2008, 09:14 PM
sometimes it sounds like downtown baghdad along that road lol. Lotsa traffic thats for sure!

Jelvis
08-15-2008, 09:22 PM
-------------------------

3kills
08-16-2008, 07:18 AM
when i was going to school in the loops i had a friend that had hunted greenstone a few times and we went up there one day seen some deer but no bucks...he showed me an area on the side of the road where the weeek before him and another guy i knew found a dead immature that some one shot and left..

Jelvis
08-16-2008, 09:31 AM
----------------------------

happygilmore
08-16-2008, 11:03 AM
I've seen guys hunting in cars on that hill because the road is good. I've come across a couple dead game guys poached up there aswell.

Jelvis
08-16-2008, 02:37 PM
----------------------

Jelvis
08-16-2008, 04:37 PM

jackpine
08-16-2008, 08:00 PM
yeah,good spot 10 mins from kamloops!gee,i wonder if anyone else hunts there?

Jelvis
08-16-2008, 08:34 PM
------------------------

Buckmaster123
08-16-2008, 09:08 PM
Road warrior haven, dirt bikes, mountain bikes, private property and road closures throughout the burn and only 10 min from town, yeh-haw, sounds like fun!!!! Come one come all!!!!!!

Jelvis
08-16-2008, 10:27 PM

Jelvis
08-17-2008, 02:34 PM
-----------------------

BigBanger
08-17-2008, 06:04 PM
Your making this place sound to good to be true . Makes me want to take next weekend and check it out . Gonna walk down to the truck right now and have a look at the maps . Might take the dog for a drive next weekend . Might ..

Jelvis
08-17-2008, 06:40 PM

johnk
08-18-2008, 06:24 AM
There are lots more options in that area if you know where all the goat trails go. If you're heading towards Dominic take first right after you pass Dairy. You will pass Meadow Lake and then Durand Lk. and then Zippermouth Lk. access and next right goes down through a stand of poplars and across two slashes and comes out at Durand Creek Bridge. If you don't take the turnoff and go straight the next left will take you through some old blocks up to Dominic Lk. Resort or you can go straight through to the blocked off end of the road if you're in a truck. If you're on a quad this is where it gets interesting. You can go past the end of the road and catch the sled trail to the dam on the north end of Dominic and continue on the trail which eventually comes out near the east end of Chartrand Meadow, a very popular moose location for the Kamloops Boys and with good reason. Opening day six years ago counted 6 bulls and three cows in that very large meadow. From there you can access the Tunkwa area or go south to Chartrand Rd. and the south side of the mountain. If opening day happens to fall on a weekend forget the meadow as it looks like the parking lot of a Drive-In Movie. Two years ago I drew a map, accessing the west side of the meadow by walking a park-like trail up the drainage from two km. west,for a client who had a draw and the first morning he harvested a nice bull. Sure pissed off the guys glassing through their windshields. The most productive parts of that meadow are not visible from the road. With all the pine beetle logging they've done the access to the south side is quite easy now and the tracks coming off the new slashes into the meadow are phenomenal, both moose and muleys! So as you can see Cherry Creek is the tip of the iceberg! If fuel prices stay high the pre-October hunting is excellent as there aren't as many Lower Mainland hunters in the area and the game aren't so spooked. Then October 1st hits along with the commencement of The Gong Show! Any buck opens, LEH Moose opens as well as the continuation of spike fork season. At this time of year I usually hunt with a 30.06 in one hand and a jousting shield in the other:eek:

Jelvis
08-18-2008, 08:23 AM
------------------------------

happygilmore
08-18-2008, 08:41 AM
This is getting f#$%'in stupid, sorry jel I know your just trying to help but cmon' let's draw the line somewhere! I don't hunt the greenstone hill anymore but when I did I got out there and hunted for the marshes trails and animals. This is starting to sound like paint-by-numbers hunting!

Guys tend to not mind if you mention an area is good hunting but you might be stepping on toes giving detailed descriptions...
Am I wrong to think this way?:???:

Jelvis
08-18-2008, 01:19 PM
--------------------------

Shed Hunter
08-18-2008, 01:40 PM
Thanks for the info Jelly tell them all:smile::smile::smile:

Jelvis
08-18-2008, 02:03 PM
------------------------

trailhunter
08-18-2008, 02:35 PM
so i guess im going see another 27 guys in my favorite spot next year :-(
add it to the 30+ last year...........hopefully there wont even be a deer on that mountain in a few years:roll:

happygilmore
08-18-2008, 02:49 PM
Oooohhhh I see yeah! , ;) come one come all, if your hunting there your not where i'll be... smrt.;)

Jel do you own the gas staion at the turn off the highway there? I think I might build a coffee and sandwich place right @ kilometer zero!...but god help me if I show up one morning and find someone else sitting in my shop.:lol:

Dirty
08-18-2008, 03:36 PM
With people getting this bent out of shape Jelvis' rant on Greenstone must be true. This must be a sweet hunting spot. I am definitely going to check it out this year. Jelvis, you already have the bases loaded buddy, pitch down the pipe for the grandslam. Tell us every hidey hole in this sweet little spot that nobody knows about. DirtysittingbythePCwithearsandeyeswideopen.

CT.45
08-18-2008, 04:36 PM
4.4 km from the turn off which is 0 km, watch for the blade of grass I broke off facing south. Turn left there and follow the unmarked non-existant trail for 148 meters. Stop close your eyes and turn around 3 times like a dog before laying down. Open eyes and a monster 180 muley will be there 100 meters away, broadside, with no clue you are there. Thank me later.

mrdoog
08-18-2008, 05:40 PM
"4.4 km from the turn off which is 0 km, watch for the blade of grass I broke off facing south. Turn left there and follow the unmarked non-existant trail for 148 meters. Stop close your eyes and turn around 3 times like a dog before laying down. Open eyes and a monster 180 muley will be there 100 meters away, broadside, with no clue you are there. Thank me later."

Thank you later? Not likely; that's where I built my tree stand.
Now it's ruined, forever.

Jelvis
08-18-2008, 05:48 PM
------------------------

johnk
08-18-2008, 06:47 PM
When it comes to giving out info here is my personal opinion and its fine to disagree. Up until things changed this year I managed Tunkwa Lake Resort for 9 years and my business was helping hunters and fishermen get the most out of their trips. I hunted 70-80 days a year in 3-18 and 3-19 exclusively. I scouted 30-40 days every summer and I worked dilligently at discovering new areas and tracking the movements of muleys and moose throughout the season. The information I amassed was through my own blood, sweat and tears and hundreds of hours put into the field and whether it be on the Internet or face to face I will share as much of the info as I deem necessary or acceptable.

Jelvis
08-18-2008, 08:46 PM

Jelvis
08-19-2008, 07:57 PM
----------------------

johnk
08-19-2008, 08:19 PM
For the record Jelvis, last year I was playing cat and mouse with a large 5x6 at 4800' elevation from December 7-10th. I had seen him a dozen times in the summer and each of the last four mornings of hunting season I found his fresh tracks crossing 5 ft. in front of my groundblind and only saw him once at around 400 yds. but it could have been at 350 or 550 as anything over 225 yds. is just a rough guess for me.

Jelvis
08-19-2008, 08:35 PM

CT.45
08-20-2008, 10:58 AM
The backroad into Dominic Lake passed Ferguson Creek. Coming in from 15 km up Durand creek and up towards Dominic is a dang good buck area. In the Duffy/Dairy/Dominic/Durand area all together wow what a hunting spot. Jel-Duffy-Dairy-Ferguson 123 and Dominic = 4

Not after everyone on the internet knows. Are you looking for a new hunting spot as yours may now be over-run. The good thing is that much of that area is restricted to no hunting vehicle access, so the road and quad hunters are out. Gotta get out and walk it.

Shed Hunter
08-20-2008, 01:00 PM
Jelvis wants Vinny all to him self. Vinny look out for jellywantsyou. He is sending every one to Greenstone Mountain Road..............

Jelvis
08-20-2008, 02:31 PM
---------------------------

Jelvis
08-20-2008, 02:53 PM
-----------------------------

Jelvis
08-20-2008, 05:43 PM

johnk
08-20-2008, 05:57 PM
You can't get to Chartrand Meadow through Andrew Lake. You have to bushwhack along the edge of a thick willow draw to even get close to Andrew Lake and even if you swam across Andrew Lake you would have to walk the drainage 1.5 km down to an unnamed lake/pond, out on the spur road, 1 km to main logging road and then over to Chartrand Meadow.

I have bushwhacked that area more than I wish to remember when late spike fork season puts you in "desperation mode".

For the record Andrew Lake has no fish in it!

Jelvis
08-20-2008, 06:13 PM
======================

Jelvis
08-22-2008, 09:35 PM

tinhorse
08-22-2008, 09:59 PM
Ive hunted there while living in loops for a year. I only had a car and thought it would be good as the roads were closed except for the main which is excellent. I would see more than 50 deer a day in sept and oct, lots of does. Then 2 years later I went there and saw very few deer. With the number of doe tags being handed out and idiots shooting at whatever moves from their vehicles many of the deer seem to be dissapearing into the thick crap. The first year I hunted there isaw does bedded along the roads on the drive in. Oh well I guess you just have to hike a bit further to get to the numbers. There are some big bucks there though. But it seems they are not plentiful, i guess cause the area is so close to town

Jelvis
08-22-2008, 10:08 PM

Caveman
08-23-2008, 10:16 AM
I did a lot of my early moose hunting on Greenstone before the burn. I can remember one day with my dad and uncle and a couple cousins coming off there with five moose. Not that it matters but we were just below the turnoff to Chuwels along the power line and it always produced. We also spent a ton of time around the Face Paska area. Don't go up there much anymore but I'm sure it will still produce Good Luck to all who go up there, but I'd venture to say it can get a little crowded.

Jelvis
08-23-2008, 03:03 PM
----------------------------

Kapow
08-23-2008, 03:55 PM
I always run into moose when we are snowmobiling up there. I don't bother hunting there cuz it's way to busy . seems like that area attracts a lot of the coastal hunters and its very close to the 'loops. During the week, not so bad.

Jelvis
08-26-2008, 08:43 AM
================

johnk
08-26-2008, 09:44 PM
Ah Yes! Every New Year's Eve we used to sled up "The Very Hairy Chute" to the tower and go inside the Forestry Cabin and have a celebratory drink of Malibu Rum and then sled back down! Good Times!!

Jelvis
08-31-2008, 08:50 PM

johnk
09-09-2008, 06:36 PM
Jelvis,
I am not familiar with the 3 hills and to be totally honest my area of expertise is the western slope of Greenstone and down to Tunkwa Lake Road. I have three spots I hunt muleys that have produced good bucks over the years for me and four or five small pothole meadows for moose that no one hunts. I will venture into the drainage of Chartrand Meadow late season when the pressure eases and I know the game has been pressured out of the main meadow.

In regards to Wyse Meadow there is a snowmoblile trail that leaves the west end and hooks up to that spur road just below Andrew Lake.

Durand Creek Road which can be accessed exactly 7k north of Tunkwa off the Logan Lake-Savona Road would be well worth a hunt. That is where we saw the OMG (oh my gawd) Buck at dark one night crossing the road to descend to Durand Creek for a drink. There are a couple spur roads off that road that lead to areas that house some HAWGS! When you first access DCR the first right turn at the bottom before you climb has a sign that says Private Property that one of the locals erected and seemed to work for the most part. That road is about 6k long and gains 1000' in elevation and leads to some beautiful hillside slashes that supports decent populations of muleys, whiteys and moose. Back on DCR once you get to the bridge at the top of the road if you turn right that will eventually hook up with the main 4100 Rd. which will take you up to Dominic or down to Tunkwa. At 4133 if you stay right and turn left at 4130 you can access a brand new series of cutblocks that hold a ton of muleys. Just look for the ridges off the blocks. If you take the road going through the blocks and access the south fork you can cross the drainage and you'll be on Chartrand Creek Road and a whole new mess of slashes and that road deadends about a mile south and 200' higher than Chartrand Meadow.
If you turn around and follow that road down it comes out at the highway connecting Logan Lake to the Coquihalla. There are many daylong roundtrips you can do in that area, you just have to know your way around that "Road Hunter's Paradise". What about you Jelly-Tot, what else you got??

Jelvis
09-09-2008, 07:01 PM
-------------------

johnk
09-09-2008, 07:26 PM
Hey Jel-lo Pop(J-Lo for short),

The fourway(2way stop) I think you're referring to is at the 23k mark of the 4100 Rd. and if you go east you start a serious gain in elevation and access those areas I mentioned. On the way up the 4101 Rd. is mildly interesting which goes to the south and the next road is at the 30k which I mentioned and then at the 32k mark you can go to the south and access Chartrand Meadows if you stay left at the fork.

Jelvis
09-09-2008, 08:12 PM
pppppppppppppppppp

cxvalleyman
09-09-2008, 09:38 PM
http://i344.photobucket.com/albums/p347/cxvalleyman/HuntingTripinAshcroft015.jpg

this is what i got last year in 3-19

Jelvis
09-09-2008, 10:21 PM
--------------------

swampdonkey
09-14-2008, 12:33 PM
visited chartrand meadows sat morning 1st in there park quad and hid no moose 15 different vehicles +quads in 2.5 hrs watch 4 guys argue who was there 1st and who can hunt the area it was funny to watch because they had no idea i was there to many people no that area

Jelvis
09-14-2008, 01:30 PM
----------------------

swampdonkey
09-14-2008, 01:36 PM
just in there scouting hate to see the 20th

Jelvis
09-14-2008, 01:48 PM

Jelvis
09-16-2008, 07:50 PM

johnk
09-16-2008, 10:15 PM
Gotta love when moose opens on a Saturday! Swampdonkey if you want an alternative to the madness PM me and I'll direct to a nice little spot between there and Durand Creek Rd.

Jelvis
09-16-2008, 10:18 PM
-----------------------

300H&H
09-17-2008, 08:20 PM
Hey! swampdonkey take a real heavy duty rope up to Greenstone by Grace Lake and lassoo a spiker and tie him to a skookum tree til the 20th. lol. No law aginst that!
Lots of spike/forks goin down next Saturday. Lotsa luck to all moose and deer hunters up Cherry Creek and Greenstone Mt if ya see me guttin one out stop and help.
Jelly-Greenstone-Spike/Forker---+---> 4-point---+-grouse

Jel...How the hell do we know what you look like ?

I don't want to stop and help any random hunter. I want to help the GREAT JEL-MAN.

Please post a picture of YOUR face.

Jelvis
09-17-2008, 08:35 PM
-----------------------

300H&H
09-17-2008, 08:44 PM
Why Jel ?
Why can't ya go back ? :sad:

johnk
09-17-2008, 09:46 PM
I think it has something to do with the flashbacks from Nam. Every time he hears the Forestry choppers flying overhead he thinks it's "Charlie".......

or perhaps it's the way the pine beetle has decimated that whole mountain......

or perhaps J-Lo was hunting, slipped, banged his head, suffered amnesia and now can't remember how to get back!

As for behind Leighton Jelvis, tread lightly as I have boobytrapped the whole area!

Jelvis
09-18-2008, 09:09 AM

Ltbullken
09-18-2008, 05:14 PM
I found a sweet spot in that area for deer... I'll give you exact direction on how to get there....

You din't think I was serious did you?! Lol!! Great area for sure with that burn that is now 10 yrs old. I've seen some moose but the habitat is in discrete areas. I saw a big deer in there last year but could not confirm antler points in the fading light and brush backdrop! Can't wait to see how the other fires (2003) begin to produce habitat and the massive beetle kill logging will in time produce awesome habitat (a positive side to the beelte infestation...)

There is a good size black bear in the area. Seen the scat but not the bruin.

Jelvis
09-18-2008, 06:04 PM
=====================

300H&H
09-18-2008, 07:36 PM
With the above post, it sounds like Jel is getting all spiritual on us. :???:

Or maybe he's going ZEN. You know...like a Budist Munk.

Or maybe he just was out scouting and found some of that HIPPY LETTUCE ! :mrgreen:

Jelvis
09-18-2008, 08:01 PM
ppppppppppppppppp

johnk
09-18-2008, 08:30 PM
That's johnk's sweet spot behind Leighton cuz big deer and small moose. We got ya johnk, on our list as the Tunkwa/Greenstone expert, and we will follow thy ways into the maze. lol. Fans and followers of the johnk system
Jelly-johnk-system of hunting brings success. Vehicle?
Color and description of vehicle wanted 2day johnk

OK J-Lo I drive a 2008 Chartreuse SmartCar with a 9" lift and 35" Dick Cepeks, you can't miss it if you can find me. Oh ya I'm not there anymore.

In behind Tunkwa/Leighton there ARE some nice bucks but only a few moose though there was a 10x11 courting one of the ladies in the meadow 1/2k north of Leighton last week of October/07. If you go SW of Tunkwa behind Corral Lake there is a trail that takes you to the diversion channel (weir that diverts water between Tunkwa and Mamit Lks) which is probably the best area to find moose between there and Leighton. It is a 10 minute quad ride from Tunkwa or if you drive the road around behind Leighton it takes about 40 minutes and shakes the hell out of your arse!
July/04 I was quadding out to the channel just before dark and came out to the first meadow where I spotted a 28" muley in amongst 15 domestic cows so the next night I took the camera and figured I would walk the trail out in hopes of a photo op. When in the bush I walk real quiet and that evening was evident as I came within 20yds. of a 3 pt. bull bedded just off the trail. I don't know who was more wide-eyed but I know who smelled worse!

Jelvis
09-18-2008, 09:02 PM
kkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

johnk
09-18-2008, 10:13 PM
Excellent johnk you know more in that area than anyone other than who ever guides in that area if someone does?
A fella I know was telling me tonight that a nice bull moose spotted beside the old road up Lac La Jaune up Iron mask by where the Chuwells road goes under the road. Nice bull just off the road there so some being seen with the moose rut under way. Calling would be exciting right now in a meadow up Mile High near Wyse. Real beautiful spot between Greenstone and Chuwells. Deer and moose. D-Day-Saturday Counting down 10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-> Blast-off --> 20th <--spike-fork + 4 points <--
Jel+K= Duffy lake and the Duran Creek showdown.

Inquired about guiding the back forty a couple of years back. Got shot down pointblank. Apparently it is too close to civilization!

Jelvis
09-26-2008, 08:48 PM

johnk
09-26-2008, 09:31 PM
J-Lo,

You had better put your hardhat on...........INCOMMMMING!

Jelvis
09-26-2008, 09:44 PM
--------------------

Jelvis
10-08-2008, 01:55 PM
===============

browningboy
10-08-2008, 02:14 PM
I second behind Tunkwa area for moose, gets a little thick in most areas but do-able, I always see a good amount of sign in there...cool with the wild horses in that area as well.

johnk
10-08-2008, 06:27 PM
The Six-Mile Hill ring a bell? Ding-Dong. Late season but worth it bucks coming down from Mt Duran by those power lines and above the one ranch on the east side of Duran valley and just above the Hwy overlooking the Savano mill. After big snows in November. Jellness-

It's true J-Lo! One of my redneck friends from Savona was hunting above "The Hill" and caught a glimpse of a big white arse and tracked him all afternoon in 2 ft. of snow. It got to be 1/2 hr. before dark and figure he had better get back down the hill so knowing the area like he does he knew the fenceline he was on led right back to where his truck was. He got halfway back to the truck and that darn buck had circled around and was coming back up the fenceline. To make a long story short, 6x7, 28" with a 3point eyeguard on one side and a 2point on the other. Beauty buck that glares at you from his living room probably because he needs to be dusted badly.

With that said some years, like last year, we don't get enough late season snow to bring the bucks down before Dec.10th.

As for in behind Tunkwa there is a beauty quad/sled trail along a high ridge that parallels Guichon Creek almost from the diversion channel out to the 4200 Rd. This trail is definitely not for beginners as there are a couple really hairy hills with sharp left turns at the top but definitely worth it just for the moose country you ride through.

johnk
10-08-2008, 06:31 PM
I second behind Tunkwa area for moose, gets a little thick in most areas but do-able, I always see a good amount of sign in there...cool with the wild horses in that area as well.

"Cool with the wild horses?" Wait until one of those bachelor studs abruptly ends your stalk on a large 4x4 Whitey and then tell me it's cool!:biggrin:

Jelvis
10-08-2008, 06:36 PM

Jelvis
10-14-2008, 08:40 AM

roblikestohunt
10-14-2008, 03:33 PM
Just spent 3 days up lac du bois towards wendego lodge and rushiton creek FSR..Caught some nice fish at Inskip got a few grouse and did a little hunting,Saw a cow moose on the way in and a bear at about 75 yards from camp on Saturday night, Came out sunday morning, and saw a nice 4 point at around 260-300 yds in a cut block not far from where we camp... lifted up the trusty rem 270 and pulled, the little fellar ran like hell, walked up to see if it was a hit, however not a drop of blood within 50 yards.... saw lots of hunters up there heard a lot of shots, but didnt see any game being taken out....Anyone else have any luck in 3-18 3-19 this year....been up greenstone and cherry creek area as buddys got a ranch in Cherry creek, always seemd to be packed with hunters and i got scoped there last year...lol...safe hunting..

Jelvis
10-14-2008, 09:47 PM

swampdonkey
10-14-2008, 09:48 PM
lots of hunters up there this past weekend past up 4 small bucks waiting 4 the big one seen a few moose nice and cold sat morning -10 most guys road hunting i was walking heard a few shots don't know of any animals being taken i spent alot of time in the dominic lake and greenstone areas

Jelvis
10-14-2008, 10:22 PM
--------------------------------

Kye
10-14-2008, 10:30 PM
Saw some does and one nice fleeing buck up to the right. Cow moose too! And a few grouse.

Jelvis
10-14-2008, 10:59 PM
-------------------

Jelvis
11-03-2008, 02:42 PM
============

sneg
11-03-2008, 03:04 PM
It must really nice up there.all place is packed with mullies.very easy to hike,easy access from hwy. i like rabbit flats area and wyse lake. lot of road hunters,but not as crazy as some other places.just get of the truck and hike little bit.marvelous.

johnk
11-03-2008, 04:19 PM
We got the white stuff in the hill Jill. Yesiree we got the snow fallin the bucks crawlin and the tracks showing the way to San Jose ok.
What are we waiting for comrad, lets go in the snow.
Rut + snow migration = monster roman nosed bucks my friends.
Fresh as the driven snow and the deer are happening in the Cherry Creek-Duffy Lake basins Jason.
Oh yah this is what a trophy hunter is dreaming about and that dream turned into reality.
All week long friend-a-mine it's showtime cuz it's snowtime.
Are you ready Teddy. Let's get it on.
Greenstone/Cherry/Duran all got the bucks and does are you excited?
Jel-stien who yah going to call? Cold white truth.

Jelvis is worse than Elvis with the gyrating pelvis!
His mind has turned to mush long before the snow to slush!
Finding a trophy on Greenstone Mountain
Is like regaining youth from some long lost fountain!

Jelvis knows the big bucks are there,
Problem is he can't remember where,
Must have something to do with all the grey hair,
That incidentally came in before Health Care!

So when you go put Jelvis in the back
Shoot a buck and he'll help you track
Or maybe even count points on the rack
Don't take Jelvis, you won't get jack!

Piperdown
11-03-2008, 04:24 PM
Hey Jelvis, thanks for all the info. I will be doing some environmental testing at the Savona Mill be there from Nov.7-15. Staying at Tunkwa Lake Resort. How is the access from there over to the greenstone side? I am bringing the quad along too. Shot my biggest buck there 2 years ago and took it to hang at stewarts shop above the mill, great guy, an bringing him up some smoked and canned salmon for his help. If you are by the resort stop by for a beverage, cabin #9. Thanks again for the info.

bruin
11-03-2008, 04:25 PM
Is this turning into a rap off like in the movie 8 Mile?

johnk
11-03-2008, 04:40 PM
Hey Jelvis, thanks for all the info. I will be doing some environmental testing at the Savona Mill be there from Nov.7-15. Staying at Tunkwa Lake Resort. How is the access from there over to the greenstone side? I am bringing the quad along too. Shot my biggest buck there 2 years ago and took it to hang at stewarts shop above the mill, great guy, an bringing him up some smoked and canned salmon for his help. If you are by the resort stop by for a beverage, cabin #9. Thanks again for the info.

Hey P.Cat, when you leave the resort go north 3k to 4100 Rd. and turn right. Now you're on the main haul road for Greenstone. Climb for 10k to the fork at 4133 and then the options are numerous. Go right and that road which is quite rough (for city boys) will bring you out at the east end of Chartrand Meadow. From there if you stay left and then left again you'll be on the road that will either take you to Dominic to the left or Mile High Resort to the right. Again a plethora of options from there.

If you stay left at 4133 you'll eventually end up at Durand Creek Bridge and Ruttin' Buck Heaven if you know where to go!:-P

The last time I talked to the resort the gent who took over my position didn't know the area too well so if need be you can PM me from their computer while you're there for some options. Good luck! That is a great time to be there.

johnk
11-03-2008, 04:45 PM
Is this turning into a rap off like in the movie 8 Mile?

Sorry Bruin, didn't mean be so lame but just can't let J-Lo have all the fun!

Piperdown
11-03-2008, 05:28 PM
Hey thanks JohnK, appreciate the input.

Jelvis
11-03-2008, 07:06 PM
kkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

johnk
11-03-2008, 07:44 PM
Jelvis, you are definitely a classic! I am now under orders from the wife to recite all your poetry! D.H. Lawrence has nothing on you:rolleyes:

twoSevenO
11-03-2008, 08:04 PM
jelly man some guys on here will burn you at the stake one of these days :D
HAHA ... nice poetry BTW ;)

husky30-06
11-03-2008, 08:26 PM
Wow jelvis........ I would like to know if there is any spot in this area that you have not spilled to the masses. I am glad that you suggest areas for others to hunt that have so far not been in any areas I hunt.

Jelvis
11-03-2008, 08:45 PM
-------------------

johnk
11-03-2008, 09:03 PM
Wow jelvis........ I would like to know if there is any spot in this area that you have not spilled to the masses. I am glad that you suggest areas for others to hunt that have so far not been in any areas I hunt.

Looks like you answered your own question!;)

husky30-06
11-03-2008, 09:09 PM
the cone of silence!!!!! I spend agreat deal of time walking for a good reason..... less people.

Jelvis
11-03-2008, 09:13 PM
------------------------

Jagermeister
11-03-2008, 09:16 PM
I think that some of you lower mainland boys, or girls should, instead of thanking Jelvis on the forum, offer to take him out hunting because you sure know that the locals are not going to do it!

husky30-06
11-03-2008, 09:21 PM
If i was to give out the info of the areas we hunt, my hunting partners would string me up and leave me there for the bears. I respect the areas that they have shown me over the years, and therefore I am able to enjoy the game we take

Jelvis
11-03-2008, 09:41 PM

husky30-06
11-03-2008, 09:45 PM
you got me Jelvis.....LOL

Jelvis
11-03-2008, 09:57 PM

husky30-06
11-03-2008, 10:12 PM
HINT: redbird lake area

Jelvis
11-03-2008, 11:17 PM
ppppppppppppppp

johnk
11-04-2008, 07:27 AM
the cone of silence!!!!! I spend agreat deal of time walking for a good reason..... less people.

Husky 30-06,

Despite all the beans spilled about Greenstone there are areas there that I have taken bucks where, to this day, I have never seen another hunter and the key like you say is walking. If you get off the beaten path and know what lies ahead you can find solitude and bucks that aren't spooky.

I had a moose hotspot on Forge Creek(3-18) which is a tributary of the Guichon that consisted of four small meadows and the only other hunter I saw in there was the uncle of the local trapper. At the last public forum I attended put on by Forestry in Logan Lake they had designated the area moose habitat and would NOT be logged. Well it took all of a year for the surveyor's tape to go up and they logged it last winter.

There was a quad trail going into a useless meadow and no one realized if you went two hundred yards to the northwest corner of the meadow the trail started up again going another 1/2k into the hotspot. A couple of times my hunts were brought to an abrupt end by the four wild horses that lived in those meadows.

The point is there are still lots of places left for hunters willing to get off their butts and hoof it. With all the advice I've offered for 3-18/3-19 there are little pockets of indisturbed habitat that will never get publicized.....until the loggers open them up and unfortunately with the way the pine beetle is going that won't be very long.

husky30-06
11-04-2008, 08:39 AM
Husky 30-06,

Despite all the beans spilled about Greenstone there are areas there that I have taken bucks where, to this day, I have never seen another hunter and the key like you say is walking. If you get off the beaten path and know what lies ahead you can find solitude and bucks that aren't spooky.

I had a moose hotspot on Forge Creek(3-18) which is a tributary of the Guichon that consisted of four small meadows and the only other hunter I saw in there was the uncle of the local trapper. At the last public forum I attended put on by Forestry in Logan Lake they had designated the area moose habitat and would NOT be logged. Well it took all of a year for the surveyor's tape to go up and they logged it last winter.

There was a quad trail going into a useless meadow and no one realized if you went two hundred yards to the northwest corner of the meadow the trail started up again going another 1/2k into the hotspot. A couple of times my hunts were brought to an abrupt end by the four wild horses that lived in those meadows.

The point is there are still lots of places left for hunters willing to get off their butts and hoof it. With all the advice I've offered for 3-18/3-19 there are little pockets of indisturbed habitat that will never get publicized.....until the loggers open them up and unfortunately with the way the pine beetle is going that won't be very long.

I understand your reasoning for information, but I know of a few hunters that need just a little info as to where to go and walk. The information that is handed out on occation is very specific and I feel that when someone offers info on a good hunting spot, there should be a little respect as to where the original info came from. If some one asks for info on a particular area, I would offer a point to begin. i know that the areas we hunt, my father and his friends have spent many years developing a hunt strategy and some day i will run into someone on a trail that we have spent many years hiding. But untill then, i feel that a true hunter should develop his/her own area to hunt. why give up that "big one" by giving out your secret spot?

KevinB
11-04-2008, 08:51 AM
Good post johnk. I think you're right. There are deer most everywhere you look for them, more in some places, less in others, and there are is a lot of ground out there that few hunters will get to, not necessarily that far from roads. I don't think there are any "secret spots" though. Guaranteed, if you have one, someone has been there before, or at the least, someone has been looking at it on Google Earth and has been thinking about checking it out.

johnk
11-04-2008, 09:29 AM
I understand your reasoning for information, but I know of a few hunters that need just a little info as to where to go and walk. The information that is handed out on occation is very specific and I feel that when someone offers info on a good hunting spot, there should be a little respect as to where the original info came from. If some one asks for info on a particular area, I would offer a point to begin. i know that the areas we hunt, my father and his friends have spent many years developing a hunt strategy and some day i will run into someone on a trail that we have spent many years hiding. But untill then, i feel that a true hunter should develop his/her own area to hunt. why give up that "big one" by giving out your secret spot?

Fair enough, Husky. From my years at the resort and talking to people it became quite apparent that not everybody has the time to invest out in the field that I had the luxury of. For business reasons I gave specific directions to finding game. After all, successful trips breed successful memories which breeds return business. Now that I am no longer at the resort I still give specific info by way of PM's to members of this board and a couple were lucky enough to find success this fall.

Any of the info I submit has been amassed by my own time and effort spent in the bush scouting and hunting without being pointed in a specific direction by others. My life consists of three elements; working, fishing and hunting. I've learned in the past in regards to little known backcountry lakes that every time you let someone in on something you run the risk of having that info exploited and the bottom line is that is a risk I'm willing take even though it has come back to bite me in the arse from time to time.

Jagermeister
11-04-2008, 11:00 AM
Jelvis, sorry if I hurt you to the bone dude. :(
I still think that those lower mainland people that have requested info of you about Region 3 should be decent and ask you out hunting or the very least, :idea:buy you a bottle of tequila or whiskey.

Jagermeister
11-04-2008, 11:08 AM
Good post johnk. I think you're right. There are deer most everywhere you look for them, more in some places, less in others, and there are is a lot of ground out there that few hunters will get to, not necessarily that far from roads. I don't think there are any "secret spots" though. Guaranteed, if you have one, someone has been there before, or at the least, someone has been looking at it on Google Earth and has been thinking about checking it out.Then you agree, there is no need for posted detailed instructions on where to go, there are deer everywhere.

husky30-06
11-04-2008, 11:28 AM
Then you agree, there is no need for posted detailed instructions on where to go, there are deer everywhere.

my point exactly, point in the right direction. not every detail.

KevinB
11-04-2008, 01:28 PM
Then you agree, there is no need for posted detailed instructions on where to go, there are deer everywhere.

Not really - my point was that if some guy decides to give out detailed info about a productive hunting spot that he has figured out through his own time and effort, then that's up to him. It's all crown land and everyone has a right to use it and to tell anyone else what they have managed to learn about it if they so choose.

johnk
11-04-2008, 02:07 PM
Not really - my point was that if some guy decides to give out detailed info about a productive hunting spot that he has figured out through his own time and effort, then that's up to him. It's all crown land and everyone has a right to use it and to tell anyone else what they have managed to learn about it if they so choose.

Amen, KevinB!

A prime example would be a member of this board, whom I spoke to by phone and e-mail prior to his trip, went to Tunkwa at the end of September when conditions were less than ideal. He found success based on my suggestions(his own admission) though most other lodgers were having trouble even seeing does.

As most hunters know when all you have is a vague and general idea sometimes it takes more than a day or two to dial in an exact pocket of terrain bucks are using and when you only have a weekend or three days that can be too late. With all the country to hunt, to whittle it down to one cutblock and then further to one ridge off the back of that cutblock sometimes you need explicit direction. Yes, I know there are deer everywhere but when someone coming from 200 miles away needs advice I offer what I know and in that case I knew the bucks were living there summer after summer thanks largely in part to countless scouting trips.

Dually
11-04-2008, 03:14 PM
I know this is off subject but being fairly new to Kamloops I was wondering where a guy could get a map or map book that lays out the crown or private land. I'm finding that there are so many fences running through the bush around here that I'm not sure which side I'm on. I don't hunt near anyones ranch but when your hunting a new cut block or even through the bush and come across a fence you always have to wonder.

Jagermeister
11-04-2008, 03:26 PM
I know this is off subject but being fairly new to Kamloops I was wondering where a guy could get a map or map book that lays out the crown or private land. I'm finding that there are so many fences running through the bush around here that I'm not sure which side I'm on. I don't hunt near anyones ranch but when your hunting a new cut block or even through the bush and come across a fence you always have to wonder.
What you seek is somewhere within the link, but it may take a trip to the Provincial Building on Columbia Street.
http://www.frontcounterbc.gov.bc.ca/

Dually
11-04-2008, 04:22 PM
Thanks alot I'll look into it and let you know what I find

Jelvis
11-04-2008, 04:55 PM

bigmike
11-04-2008, 07:37 PM
i just got home from four days in this area......too warm for the rut when i was there,looks like i missed the weather change i was looking for.

I saw plenty of game,but no shooters....150+does and a half dozen bucks

KevinB
11-04-2008, 09:20 PM
come across a fence you always have to wonder.

I hear ya. A good thing to keep in mind, is that a lot of (or maybe most?) fences out there that you'll find seemingly just out in the bush away from anything else are just range fences on crown land. Usually private land will be posted with at least occasional signs, especially if they are serious about keeping pepple off the land in question. I haven't found anything online that shows where private and crown land are, but I haven't looked much. You could try sending an email to the front counter folks and see what they say, if there is anything available to the public that is up to date. Last but not least, try knocking on a few doors of some ranches in t he area, most of them will know who owns what, and what is crown.

Jelvis
11-04-2008, 10:36 PM
------------------

Jelvis
11-29-2008, 10:32 PM
-------------------

Piperdown
11-30-2008, 11:51 AM
Hi Jelvis, i connected on a 4 pt, but I was on the other side by Tunkwa. pic is in the gallery had trouble posting on here. Went over to the Greenstone area one day but my time was limited as I had to go back and forth to the mill twice a day. Nice area, all new to me saw some moose and does but it was snowing hard that day. Thanks for the info provided by you and Johnk.

roblikestohunt
12-06-2008, 06:31 PM
theres been some nice bucks taken this year,,,greenstone, tunkwa area....buddy snagged a 5*5 the other morning....

Jelvis
12-06-2008, 06:43 PM
ooooooooooooooo

Will
12-06-2008, 06:59 PM
I'll never hunt Greenstone Mt area ever again.........

At least not until there is Valet parking for that gongshow:shock:

Jelvis
12-06-2008, 07:24 PM
----------------------

Jelvis
04-27-2009, 12:55 PM
------------------------

Jelvis
05-07-2009, 11:19 AM
uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

arcadia
05-07-2009, 11:33 AM
Duffy Lake has got a big cow moose hanging around and lots of deer being seen up in the whole area by my buddy who rides a hot motor bike with his wife, she's got a dirt bike too.
Looks like Cherry and the Greenstone road are looking good this year as well.
Jel -- moose seen -- by Duffy Lake and deer in lots a places around there.

Hey Jelvis, I have done some forestry work out in Greenstone about 2001-2002 after the fire. If you ever want to go for a scouting trip I am in. I will pay the gas. I live in Kamloops, give me a call 372-2553 ask for Rob :):)

Jelvis
05-07-2009, 03:42 PM

Jelvis
06-27-2009, 04:00 PM

Jelvis
08-24-2009, 11:24 AM

Buck Skin
08-24-2009, 02:47 PM
is green stone around face lake,wise lake, lily lake, chuwels lake, paska lake? thanks

Jelvis
08-24-2009, 05:07 PM
--------------

Jelvis
09-05-2010, 06:51 PM

Jelvis
09-11-2012, 08:07 PM

swampdonkey
09-11-2012, 09:13 PM
Yup lots of logging

mijinkal
09-12-2012, 07:43 AM
I was up there last weekend and there are a lot of closed areas to ORV's up there and there's signs everywhere. Be careful where you go or you could end up with a big fine.

Details here: http://www.sitesandtrailsbc.ca/documents/S58-%20Tunkwa-Rationale.pdf skip to page 9 for the maps

Jelvis
09-12-2012, 11:56 AM

mijinkal
09-12-2012, 12:09 PM
I haven't read the full article, but it looks like just motor vehicles.
So, if you like to hike, this is a big bonus!

There's a lot of cows up there, but also a lot of deer to be seen.

Jelvis
09-12-2012, 03:24 PM
----------------------

Ltbullken
09-12-2012, 10:25 PM
It's a BAD area to hunt. Don't waste your time there! Go somewhere else but if you do, STAY on the roads as there is nothing to see or hunt anywhere else. Only stupid hunters who want to hunt deep into the bush over rocky terrain shall go there... Did I mention you really want to hunt somewhere else?

Jelvis
09-12-2012, 10:45 PM
----------------------

Litzodd6
09-13-2012, 04:42 PM
i agree its a terrible place to hunt stay away forsure

Davy Crockett
10-08-2012, 03:26 PM
Interesting thread.

Not too sure what to make of Jelvis. :mrgreen:

Spent some time on the Tunkwa side this weekend. Lots of does and a couple of bucks but nothing standing still long enough to get a bead on.

Took a bit of a rest in the truck after hiking up and down a clear cut off 4100 Rd. After about five minutes I happened to glance out my window only to see a pair of legs and a big rump in the trees not twenty feet away. Rolled down the window to try to get some video and it spooked, turned out to be a nice sized bull moose. Screwed up the video unfortunately. The bush was thick in there so I couldn't get a clear look at the rack but it was a whole lot bigger than a spike fork.

Amazing what you see when you aren't looking.

That was the third moose of the day. Saw a cow and calf in the area too. Maybe I will have to pick up a tag and try for a spike fork.

Burnabyred
10-08-2012, 04:59 PM
We most certainly did NOT pull two beautiful bucks out of there last week. Nothing to see in Greenstone.

Jelvis
10-30-2013, 07:05 PM
-----------------------