PDA

View Full Version : longest shot

mbhjls79
08-14-2008, 05:52 PM
checking to see what is the longest shot you have harvested a animal at. Mine is a bull moose at 300 yards. That was pushing my comfort range, but couldnt get any closer.

Timberjack
08-14-2008, 06:24 PM
368 at the mulie in my avatar. Outer extent of my comfort range too but I had a bipod, a backpack for a rear rest and was able to shoot prone. Plus I'd been practicing at similar distances at the range the week previous and knew exactly where my gun would hit...

TJ

mark
08-14-2008, 06:54 PM
For me it was 460 yards on a bull moose!!! range findered as well double checked with GPS! It was certainly out of my comfort zone but I couldnt get any closer either. I had lots of time to find the distance, set up a comfy rest and do my best, he dropped on the second shot!

happygilmore
08-14-2008, 07:46 PM
Not very long but it was sweet... Shot a whitetail @ 75yrds perfect lung shot but it took of like I kicked him in the n#tz, buddy told me to put another in him so just before he droped over the hill at about 180yrds running strait away I droped one into his spine, he piled up and plowed a 20yrd trench in the snow. :tongue:

Kechika
08-14-2008, 08:16 PM
As I've bragged in previous posts.900 yards uphill in a hail storm from the hip

kloosterboer
08-14-2008, 08:19 PM
250 yards on a Grizz with a xbow using field points!

happygilmore
08-14-2008, 08:26 PM
As I've bragged in previous posts.900 yards uphill in a hail storm from the hip

I usually compensate for the density of the hail using this simple equasion
1/dx d/dx(x2 dy/dx) + y3 = 0
d -density of hail
dx- transient heat conduction
y- elevation below sea level

Hope this helps:redface:

todbartell
08-14-2008, 08:36 PM
in the past 13 years, 250 yards on a moose, and same distance on a mule deer. Longest on a coyote 330 yards, but that's not big game. I like to get as close as I can get before I pull the trigger

brotherjack
08-14-2008, 08:39 PM
Somewhere around 40 or 50 yards at a 170 class mulie. My "typical" shot has been between 15 and 35 yards. Mostly I hunt back in the thick nasty stuff - can't usually see much farther than that. My record close shot was about 15 FEET.

:)

Gateholio
08-14-2008, 08:41 PM
383 yards, on blacktail buck..

I had left me LRF at home that day, and figured the shot was about 300, so I aimed right on, and saw the bullet splash beneath his legs. Doing a quick calculation, I figured him around 375, So I dialed up and aimed right on him, and nailed him. When I went back (with LRF) I found it was 383..8-)

LeverActionJunkie
08-14-2008, 08:48 PM
Longest shot for me is about 125 paces I believe, maybe closer. My average is probably somewhere between 35 and 55 yrds.

wsm
08-14-2008, 08:51 PM
536 yrds according to the gps. wouldn't do that ever again. bad hit took four hours and 4.5km later to find him and kill him. ran out of trail many times.

BCBRAD
08-14-2008, 09:04 PM
Spike moose at 425yds measured with witnesses. My hunting partner and I were travel back to camp with a spike moose in the back of the truck on a main logging road at about 40mph, he says there is a moose over there, I stop and say where, I can't see it so i stop get in the back of the truck and stand on the dry box, truck still running, finally I see it but can;t determine if there are horns or not, he passed up the bino's and we are both looking, see horn, but is there 2 on one side, he says yes and jumps out of the box and hands me my rifle, I am not sure if there is 2 or not, alogger stops and takes out his bino's and he says there are 2 on one side, after a bit the moose drops one ear and I see 2, we know its out there but the lighting is perfect, and no wind, I hold my 35whelen off hand with aid of the sling , loaded with 250grFXB @ 2684 mv, flat on the top of his back, fire one round, no reaction , quickly let another go and at the shot the moose flips over backward. The first shot clipped the bottom of the heart and the second nipped the front leg. long shot = long story what can I say.

Avalanche123
08-14-2008, 09:07 PM
This brings back memories of my "long bomb" thread.....

happygilmore
08-14-2008, 09:11 PM
Oh it's comming i'm sure...

wolverine
08-14-2008, 09:14 PM
250 yards on a Grizz with a xbow using field points!

Now that's funny!

I guess I have been exceptionally lucky because I'm not built for stealth necessarily. I don't think I have had to shoot at anything (big game that is) over 75 yards. Just let em walk up a little closer to the stand. Not so far to drag that way.

Kechika
08-14-2008, 09:27 PM
I love these threads...shows how many pathetic hunters there are out there.Any idiot can point and shoot,takes a real hunter to get up close.I await your responses.

Gateholio
08-14-2008, 09:34 PM
I love these threads...shows how many pathetic hunters there are out there.Any idiot can point and shoot,takes a real hunter to get up close.I await your responses.

Learn how to shoot...:razz:

Avalanche123
08-14-2008, 09:34 PM
Well Kechika I won't knock you.....
I am surprised at how much support there is for this style of shot.

71 yard shot with an exbow equated to poor ethics
500 yard shot with a rifle equates to God Status.....

I am confused......

Kechika
08-14-2008, 09:38 PM
Well Kechika I won't knock you.....
I am surprised at how much support there is for this style of shot.

71 yard shot with an exbow equated to poor ethics
500 yard shot with a rifle equates to God Status.....

I am confused......

LOL most of those 500yard shoots are lucky to be 250:wink:

anglo-saxon
08-14-2008, 09:56 PM
I think degree of difficulty in a shot in relation to the range is also important.

I would say that certainly my best shot, while not a particularly long one, was on a fox with my .243 in Jan '06. My shepheard/collie cross has barked on my back deck at around midnight. I was reluctant to head out as I was just finishing my second single malt. Still, out I went and as usual "Billy" was pointing the way. It took my usual coyote gun, my NEF single shot .243, with a Simmonds 3-9 X 40 scope. Ammo was re-load with Hornady 58gr moly ballistic tip. I walked the dozen-or-so yards to the gate that led into the field and shone my spotlight north towards the dugout. Not seeing anythign at first, I gave Billy heck for being a mong. He still seemed a little excited, though, so I gave him the benefit of the doubt and took another look. There, sure enough, beyond the dugout, was movement. Balancing the pistol grip of the spotlight on the somewhat rickety fence post with my left hand, then putting the rifle across the top of the light's rubber T-bar with my right, I switched on the light and sighted though the scope. Sure enough, there was a critter running right to left beyond the dugout and, as he glanced my way, I saw the distinct green shine of a coyote's eyes (or so I thought). Letting go of the trigger for a moment, I followed along with the rifle muzzle at what I thought would be about the same rate of advance, then quickely switched the light back on (which made him glance my way again) and aimed. I had guessed about 200+ meters and so aimed right on for elevation. I gave him a little lead, though. When I fired, he did a real Hollywood somersault. I walked down there and was jiggered if I could fined him, though. Even with Billy sniffing around I came up empty.

Next morning I took the GPS and walked down there from the gate at which I had clicked a way marker. There was nothing where I thought I'd see him, so I went further. Finally, I saw him in the stubble of the next field. My lead had been a little too much. I had misjudged his speed. The bullet had caught him on the neck just forward of the shoulder, but had removed the entire underside of his neck, his lower jaw, and of course completely opened up his throat. I was comfortable that it was an ethical kill, though, as he would have been rendered unconscious instantly with that blow, then would have bled out very quickly indeed. The actual distance was 274 yards (250.5m). As shots go, I was pretty pleased with that one! Just about every fox and coyote I've killed have been on the run. Mouse squeekers do nothing to slow them up, let alone stop them, even in the dead of winter in those parts, as they are just too savvy!

On the other end of the scale: The last two muleys I shot in Alberta were 42m and 24 m. I was far more pleased with my stalking than with my shots.

Canadian (and world!) record for predator hunting? ...

Corporal Rob Furlong, 3rd Battalion Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry, March 2002, Shah-i-kot valley, during Operation Anaconda in Afghanistan. Firing his MacMillan Tac-50 (.50 cal sniper rifle), Furlong killed an al-Quiada machinegunner who was walking to a machine gun position. The shot was Furlong's third and hit the target in the torso, killing him. The enemy soldier was 2,430 meters (2,657 yards/1.509 miles) for the firer. The distance was confirmed with a Coyote recconnaisance vehicle's LRF. The shot was made at an elevation of over 9,000 feet.

I thought it was amusing that a sniper would have a last name that was a unit of measure of distance (furlong = 220 yds). Too bad it wasn't "Miles".:wink:

Gateholio
08-14-2008, 10:11 PM
LOL most of those 500yard shoots are lucky to be 250:wink:

Good point..I hear about lots of 500-600-700 yard shots

Most times they say they held on the backline, and let 'er rip...

Which was probably a 320 yard shot...:tongue:

timberhunter
08-14-2008, 10:27 PM
So far away you have to put salt on the bullet to cure the meat. So it doesn't spoil while hiking to get to the animal.:lol:

bigwhiteys
08-14-2008, 11:32 PM
My furthest was 150-175 yards... Most of the game I've shot has all been within 100 yards. My comfort zone is real close.

Carl

SLIK
08-14-2008, 11:56 PM
20 feet
came around tha corner
crazy mofo looking at me like some fool

Wildcowgrl
08-14-2008, 11:59 PM
My longest shot was 250 yards on my cow elk last year

Monashee
08-15-2008, 12:38 AM
Longest on big game was about 80 yards on a mulie buck.

Longest shot ever was on a flock of pigeons using a .222 with a Weaver 8x , I saw the coulee ledge where they landed. I held about 5 feet above the ledge , shot and watched a pigeon flop around. Not sure about the range but roughly 500 yards . Two witnesses saw the shot . Some skill and some luck

hunter1947
08-15-2008, 04:05 AM
My longest shot was on a 7x7 bull elk it was a 500 yard shot ,he is now on my trophy wall http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon12.gif.

BCBRAD
08-15-2008, 06:40 AM
Long shots are not that difficult if you are aware of a few things. Know the range, know your bullet's trajectory, be aware of the wind, lighting can make the target appear smaller or larger than actual, practice with full power hunting loads often, 6' gongs at 200m or pop can sized targets at 100m are a good start, you equipment must 100% repeatable in performance shot to shot, you must visualize a perfect hit on the target before the round is fired, shoot as you have practiced, and what ever game animal it is its just a target that's all, you must have a coldness about the business of taking a games animal. As time passes and after many big game animals bagged it becomes easier, because you will haved learned when not to shoot. A 35whelen with a 250FXB @2684fps mv drops 24" at 400yds. All the rest is just self-rightous huffing and puffing.

mark4
08-15-2008, 07:58 AM
I have alway's noticed that there is a safe zone with this subject. If you shoot 250 yards max then you are a very ethical hunter and nobody will give you a hard time- just a pat on the back and a good job. As soon as you start mentioning 400 or 500 yard shots the heckling begins. You are no longer an ethical hunter- you are an idiot who can't get closer. I think what it really is- is that some have tried to figure out these trajectories with standard equipement and factory ammo and couldn't even hit the paper. They give up too quick- and come to the conclusion that all such shots must be like this- innaccurate- inconsistent- unethical. The truth is that these shots are made round the clock- so don't say they aren't- and if they used proper equipement and practiced they too would be making shots like that instead of bashing and getting bitter about those who can. Before anyone starts throwing the unethical word around ask yourself who is a more ethical hunter -one who knows his rifle and what it will do at all ranges - or a 200 yard man shooting 350 ??

riflebuilder
08-15-2008, 08:41 AM
1287m bull moose. Laser range finder and a 50 BMG off a front and rear rest. The moose was in a swamp that you could never get to him. But from a nearby ridge you could see the whole swamp. We tried for three years to get this guy and decided to try to get him long range. The funny thing was the moose was in one MU and we were in another MU. As we were setting up the warden pulled up and asked what we were up to. So we told him we were going to shoot a moose. He asked to see our licenses and said you have a draw in the mext unit over to which I replied thats right, he then said well you are in a differnt unit from your draw. Again I stated yes I know, at this time he looked a bit puzzeled as to what we were doing. So before he got ticked I explained that the moose we planned to shoot was in the next unit but we could never get to him as the willows were too thick and we could not ever get a shot. We then showed him the 50 and our set up. I had some custom bullets made by barnes that expanded ( big X-bullets). The warden then said hold on I need to check this out, so he got on his radio to check if we could shoot the bull even as we were not in the specified unit. After a bit of talking he said we were good to go as the bull was in the correct unit. Well after about 20 minutes we finally spotted the bull moving in the swamp. When he finally got to an opening in the swamp we ranged him at 1287 m. After that if was just a matter of adjusting the scope to the range noting the cross wind and settling down to the shot. A slow trigger squeeze and a big boom she was all over but the work. One guy stayed on the ridge and the rest of us got on the quads to get into the moose. Normally I like to get as close as possible and think a 10m shot is better than anything but there was no other way of gettin this guy. A great shirus moose 52" spread and lots of points.

jrjonesy
08-15-2008, 08:47 AM
Mark4, I see your point and I think you make a good one. I limit myself to under 200 yards but admittedly I spend WAY more time practicing with my bow than my rifle. I think like myself a lot of hunters aren't capable of those stretched shots (for a multitude of reasons (maybe they don't want to be)) and hear of other hunting friends that they also know aren't capable of them trying such shots and then pass judgement on "long shots" as a whole. I know I have felt that way. In the last few years though I have met several people who I know would be more consistent at 400 +yards than I am at 200. On an internet forum where a lot people don't actually know each other, it is easy to pass "uneducated" judgement. Now, IMHO, If you can consistently hit a 8 inch mark at 400 yards your a lot more ethical than that hunter taking 150 yard running shots (who never practices them) or the guy who shoots 10 shells before the season at 100 yards and then takes a 200+ yard shot. Bottom line after all this rambling is that your point is well taken.

I don't think its really fair to compare a long bow shot to a long rifle shot as the circumstances are generally different. The biggest (but not only) factor is that an animal doesn't hear a bullet before it hits it.

In regards to the original question, my longest shot with a rifle is about 150 yards. Oddly enough, since I started seriously bowhunting about 8 years ago, the animals that I've taken with my rifle have been pretty close to or within bow range.

Stone Sheep Steve
08-15-2008, 08:58 AM
One important thing that both BCRams and I noticed after our Dall hunt is that range estimation can be much, much tougher in different country. Where we hunted the country is much, much larger than it looks.
Several times we would guess rock yardages and then confirm with the LRF. Having a rangefinder I practice quite a bit and am usually pretty close, at least in country that I am familiar with.

We were both absolutely blown away with how much we consistantly under-estimated the yardages. Most would have resulted in complete misses:redface:.
Even after knowing how far under we were guessing we still continued to be low on our estimations.

The rangefinder was always close at hand.

SSS

2slow
08-15-2008, 09:08 AM
For me my longest shot was about 275 and that felt like it was way out of my comfort zone. I have a brother inlaw in sask. that does a ton of long range shooting on his farm. He built himself a shooting shed along one of his fence rows and marked out to 1000yds. From 500-1000yds he would hang a baloon with a squirt of talcom powder in them. Up to 800yds he could pop the baloon every shot over that it was every second or so shot. The difference between him and me is he put in the time handloading, had the proper gun and scope for doing those kind of shots. Every year he would wait in his little shed and pop his deer in the head at any range up to 700 yds. Now thats shooting

Gateholio
08-15-2008, 10:13 AM
1287m bull moose. Laser range finder and a 50 BMG off a front and rear rest. The moose was in a swamp that you could never get to him. But from a nearby ridge you could see the whole swamp. We tried for three years to get this guy and decided to try to get him long range. The funny thing was the moose was in one MU and we were in another MU. As we were setting up the warden pulled up and asked what we were up to. So we told him we were going to shoot a moose. He asked to see our licenses and said you have a draw in the mext unit over to which I replied thats right, he then said well you are in a differnt unit from your draw. Again I stated yes I know, at this time he looked a bit puzzeled as to what we were doing. So before he got ticked I explained that the moose we planned to shoot was in the next unit but we could never get to him as the willows were too thick and we could not ever get a shot. We then showed him the 50 and our set up. I had some custom bullets made by barnes that expanded ( big X-bullets). The warden then said hold on I need to check this out, so he got on his radio to check if we could shoot the bull even as we were not in the specified unit. After a bit of talking he said we were good to go as the bull was in the correct unit. Well after about 20 minutes we finally spotted the bull moving in the swamp. When he finally got to an opening in the swamp we ranged him at 1287 m. After that if was just a matter of adjusting the scope to the range noting the cross wind and settling down to the shot. A slow trigger squeeze and a big boom she was all over but the work. One guy stayed on the ridge and the rest of us got on the quads to get into the moose. Normally I like to get as close as possible and think a 10m shot is better than anything but there was no other way of gettin this guy. A great shirus moose 52" spread and lots of points.

Always wondered if it was legal to shoot form one MU to another, with LEH or different regs. Guess it is...

Bow Walker
08-15-2008, 10:31 AM
Managed to 'harvest' a nice 4x5 a few years back with my .303.......it had the rough, open, iron sights on it (scope was in for repairs). Did the deed at approx 225 yards. Didn't have a RF so I estimated. Took a couple of shots - had to compensate on the killer shot.

BCrams
08-15-2008, 11:35 AM
One important thing that both BCRams and I noticed after our Dall hunt is that range estimation can be much, much tougher in different country. Where we hunted the country is much, much larger than it looks.
Several times we would guess rock yardages and then confirm with the LRF. Having a rangefinder I practice quite a bit and am usually pretty close, at least in country that I am familiar with.

We were both absolutely blown away with how much we consistantly under-estimated the yardages. Most would have resulted in complete misses:redface:.
Even after knowing how far under we were guessing we still continued to be low on our estimations.

The rangefinder was always close at hand.

SSS

I'm just too used to smaller rocks from Stone's sheep country. I like to think I am pretty good at judging (as I do not own a range finder and have done well in the past with no misses) .... but I was shocked at some of the readings to say the least and without SSS's rangefinder - we would likely have missed the first shot had rams presented themselves at those moments :-?

NEEHAMA
08-15-2008, 11:52 AM
i once had no toliet paper in a logging slash and had to use my sock.

MIL720
08-15-2008, 12:15 PM
LOL....been there...

huntwriter
08-15-2008, 12:31 PM
Longest shoot I ever took was exactly 300 yards, but on average I would say most are within 100 to 160 yards. It’s good to know I can make long shots but I like them close, the closer the better for me. I guess that is the archery and muzzleloader mentality in me.:-D

Ron.C
08-15-2008, 12:50 PM
blacktail deer, 25 yards with a 30-06

elk, 43 yards with a bow

Brett
08-15-2008, 12:58 PM
I usually compensate for the density of the hail using this simple equasion
1/dx d/dx(x2 dy/dx) + y3 = 0
d -density of hail
dx- transient heat conduction
y- elevation below sea level

Hope this helps:redface:

ROFLMAO! BAHAHAHAA you guys are too funny!

twoSevenO
08-15-2008, 01:17 PM
1287m bull moose. Laser range finder and a 50 BMG off a front and rear rest. The moose was in a swamp that you could never get to him.

So if you had no chance of getting to him, i'm guessing you didn't recover the dead animal either?? :???:

jrjonesy
08-15-2008, 01:46 PM
It's usually much easier to sneak up on a dead animal than a live one...just a hunch:razz:

kloosterboer
08-15-2008, 01:47 PM
It's usually much easier to sneak up on a dead animal than a live one...just a hunch:razz:

Thats my thought aswell!:mrgreen:

08-15-2008, 02:45 PM
394 on a moose

todbartell
08-15-2008, 03:15 PM
So if you had no chance of getting to him, i'm guessing you didn't recover the dead animal either?? :???:

I'm pretty sure what he meant was the swamp willows were to thick to get a shot if you were on the same elevation as the moose

jrjonesy
08-15-2008, 03:21 PM
I was being a smart a$$ but that was the point I was trying to make too.

Mr. Dean
08-15-2008, 03:29 PM
428 yards.
Gopher standing on his hill.
.22 LR.

312 yards (IIRC - low 300`s anyway)
Up hill
Mule Deer
.300 WM

One shot. One kill (both).
Prone
Animals unaware

Mr. Friendly
08-15-2008, 03:39 PM
428 yards.
Gopher standing on his hill.
.22 LR.

One shot. One kill (both).
Prone
Animals unaware
daaamn! 428 yards? with a .22LR? :eek:

what kinda angle lift did you have on that shot? 89°? LOL!

Mr. Dean
08-15-2008, 04:10 PM
daaamn! 428 yards? with a .22LR? :eek:

what kinda angle lift did you have on that shot? 89°? LOL!
:oops: 128 yds.

My bad... Still a good poke though :smile:
Ran through a brick of ammo the day before, shootin' @ a popcan on the same hill. Dad wanted him GONE.

wsm
08-15-2008, 06:00 PM
i had two friends there for witness. one talking me into taking the shot ,and the other calling me an idiot for attempting the shot. on 9x you couldn't make out points. only see that his rack was as wide as himself. and twice as tall as his ears. gotta love the any buck season. still wouln't do it again.

Mr. Dean
08-16-2008, 01:27 AM
I'd do the gopher shot again, as long as I could dial in for it beforehand.

Mr. Friendly
08-16-2008, 01:56 AM
well, if a clothed turkey can be hammered at 300 yards, you should be able to take a 428 yard shot. might want to consider it and hunt up a long range gopher or something! :rolleyes:

ultralongranger
08-23-2008, 08:25 PM
believe it or not mine is 1788 yards, just over 1 mile. one at 1140 yrds. one at 967. one at 848 and countless below that all whitetails. using custome made 338-378. have 900 lb of energy at 2700 yards witch is max ability due to scope being sighted for 100 yrds but have enough energy and balistic coeficiency to kill at 3000 yards. by the way have all kills on dvd.

Avalanche123
08-23-2008, 08:46 PM
Your very first post and it defies the incredible.

Welcome to HBC

Marc
08-23-2008, 08:48 PM

or even worst, you shart yourself and have to cut your underwear off with your hunting knife in fear it will poor out or soak through before you can get your boots untied.:redface:

Mr. Friendly
08-23-2008, 09:15 PM
believe it or not mine is 1788 yards, just over 1 mile. one at 1140 yrds. one at 967. one at 848 and countless below that all whitetails. using custome made 338-378. have 900 lb of energy at 2700 yards witch is max ability due to scope being sighted for 100 yrds but have enough energy and balistic coeficiency to kill at 3000 yards. by the way have all kills on dvd.
what did you kill? tell us more!!! :D

Caveman
08-23-2008, 11:11 PM
I don't know for certain but I'd have to say it was close to 500yds on a 40" bull moose. I swore I get back there with one thing to do was measure that shot and try for another bull, but as yet haven't made it back to Atlin. He was on one side of a dry swamp or meadow and I was on the other. Would have taken too long to go around and there was no cover in the middle so I just got prone at the edge where I could see the two bulls, picked the one I wanted took a deep breath, slowly released and squeezed one off. Be damned if he didn't go down. He did get back up but was crippled enough that he stayed put. I snuck around the meadow and made my way to him only to have stand in front of me at 20yds to allow me to finish him off.

boonerbuck
08-23-2008, 11:17 PM
454 paces on a lynx with my 243 and 400 on a muley buck give or take 20. The buck I had to range the following year. It was easy because we always sat on the same rock glassing. That year there just happened to be a shot from our glassing spot. No way to stalk any closer.

boonerbuck
08-23-2008, 11:20 PM
or even worst, you shart yourself and have to cut your underwear off with your hunting knife in fear it will poor out or soak through before you can get your boots untied.:redface:

Hahaha,

Have I got a story for you....

Little Hawk
08-24-2008, 01:22 AM
Howdy,

168 yards on a 7X7 Bull Elk in a 67 mph/crosswind, uphill @ 35/degree angle during a 124-decibel thunderstorm... with a slingshot!

ultralongranger
08-24-2008, 07:17 PM
Re: longest shot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kechika http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?p=314712#post314712)

Avalanche123
08-24-2008, 07:37 PM
Re: longest shot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kechika http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?p=314712#post314712)

Learn how to hunt. :)