PDA

View Full Version : Early/long winter ahead???

Buckmeister
08-14-2008, 01:02 AM
At the beginning of August, some farmer friends of mine said that they were noticing all sorts of "signs" that suggest we are are going to have an early onset of winter and possibly a long winter this coming season. These "signs" were that certain plants and crops are turning and ripining VERY early and certain trees are already shedding leaves. They said it was very unusual to see this at this time of year and that other fellow farmers were agreeing with them and mentioning early onset of winter. Farmers spend most of their time outside and usually know how to read plants and animals in regards to the weather.
If we do have an early/long winter coming, how might that affect the hunting season for deer (or other critters)? Might we see an earlier rut? Animals seem to be able to sense and prepare for early or hard winters way ahead of time and sometimes they change their patterns to adjust for this, or at least that's what i've heard.
What do you more "seasoned" hunters have to say about this? Have you noticed any "signs"?

Mr. Dean
08-14-2008, 01:48 AM
Indian Summer all the way, man!!

happygilmore
08-14-2008, 01:53 AM
We haven't had a good summer makes me feel like we will have an indian summer... however it has been unusually cold in the mornings for Aug.

hunter1947
08-14-2008, 03:01 AM
It does not mater what the winter is to become ,late early no matter.

The animals are there and it won't matter what the outcome of the winter brings to us.

Be out there and be in the woods thats where the animals are.

The animals are still going to rut and the sorter day light hours they see in there eyes will trigger the rut no matter what the out come of the weather brings to us.

ohno
08-14-2008, 08:14 AM
The almanac was right about us having a cool short summer. I haven't heard what it said about this coming winter. Possibly another cold one.

I'll have to make sure the freezer is all stocked up with fish, foul and game.

brotherjack
08-14-2008, 08:18 AM
I have had the heater on to take the chill out of the air half a dozen times this month (just barely above freezing in the mornings out my way pretty regularly). I have NEVER even THOUGHT about turning on the heater in August before. So, if this trend continues, it's going to be a nasty winter, for sure. This could well be good, as cold weather definitely makes for more active critters!

mark
08-14-2008, 05:52 PM
Heater???? My A/C hasnt shut off for days now and its supposed to get even hotter, breaking records! I for one would like to see winter show up a lil earlier than usual so I can hunt mulies in the snow before they close!

kennyj
08-14-2008, 06:03 PM
Heater???? My A/C hasnt shut off for days now and its supposed to get even hotter, breaking records! I for one would like to see winter show up a lil earlier than usual so I can hunt mulies in the snow before they close!

What mark said.
Kenny

Avalanche123
08-14-2008, 09:45 PM
We have had about 7 days this summer where the temps went above 24C....today was one of them. Very cool which I like:)

People always ask me what is in store for the winter and I always say with 100% certainty that I will let them know in the Spring!

FlyingHigh
08-14-2008, 09:49 PM
cold!? it must have been 40 degrees today! it was and still is very hot. btw, what's an Indian Summer? a short summer, hard winter?

Islandeer
08-14-2008, 09:56 PM
Here is my forecast, light starting in the early morning, continueing during the day then darkening up and becoming black the rest of the time. Repeat this trend with some heat, rain,wind,hail,snow and cold during both of these periods. :eek:

todbartell
08-14-2008, 10:45 PM
what's an Indian Summer? a short summer, hard winter?

summer extending into September

FlyingHigh
08-14-2008, 11:26 PM
thanks bartell! :D

Monashee
08-14-2008, 11:27 PM
Officially summer is from June 21 to Sept 21 give or take a day or two. In much of southern Canada summer is or used to be pretty much over by the labour day weekend.

Indian summer was actually in early fall and described a warm dry spell

hunter1947
08-15-2008, 04:16 AM
Was 31c hear yesterday in BC :sad:.

hunter1947
08-15-2008, 04:16 AM
Was 30c hear yesterday in BC http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon9.gif.

sawmill
08-15-2008, 04:47 AM
32 yesterday,at least that for today,34 for Sat.,33 for Sunday:twisted:God I love working construction.Temps are taken in the shade but it is 12 to 14 degrees hotter in the sun,it`s like working in Death Valley.No shade on my job,poor me:-(

Stone Sheep Steve
08-15-2008, 04:54 AM
Crops ripening early??:? Not in this corner of the province.

Crops can't prepare ahead of time. The need daylight and sunshine to get the job done.

Our grape crops are a solid 2 weeks behind(thank Gawd!!):smile:.

Things may have picked up a day or two in the last couple of weeks but will never be ready earlier than the norm.

SSS

Wildman
08-15-2008, 05:30 AM
Indian Summer all the way, man!!

I agree...I have noticed over the last three years summer seems to start later and milder conditions last until October before. Fish are later too....

Buckmeister
08-15-2008, 06:23 PM
I for one would like to see winter show up a lil earlier than usual so I can hunt mulies in the snow before they close!

I'm with you on that one!!! Darn season closes too early here in reg 8.