PDA

View Full Version : Sat Phone

Kechika
08-13-2008, 06:48 PM
http://www.backcountryhunting.net/forum/index.php

Avalanche123
08-13-2008, 07:03 PM
Irridium would be my choice too and I own a Global Star. I do not know where you live so I can't offer any advise on where to purchase. You could also consider the SPOT technology too. Your wife can keep tabs on you while you are away and that will provide peace of mind too.

Kechika
08-13-2008, 07:05 PM
Im in the lowermainland.Thanks

MtnBoy
08-13-2008, 07:20 PM
Kechika, I just picked one up. I bought mine on Ebay. I did a lot of research and ended up with the Iridium. Got hooked up with a pay as you go plan and am very happy with the purchase. I paid 950 for mine with all the bells and whistles. Had it shipped to sumas and walked across and brought it back.
Good luck.

Kevin.

Stone Sheep Steve
08-13-2008, 07:22 PM
Used the SPOT this year and it worked well to keep my wife at ease.

Full communication would be nice but we got by.

We sent a "Help" message to be picked up one day early and the plane was at the lake 6 hrs later8).....we just didn't know it was coming:???:.

SSS

bsa30-06
08-13-2008, 07:32 PM
Kechika, I just picked one up. I bought mine on Ebay. I did a lot of research and ended up with the Iridium. Got hooked up with a pay as you go plan and am very happy with the purchase. I paid 950 for mine with all the bells and whistles. Had it shipped to sumas and walked across and brought it back.
Good luck.

Kevin.

MtnBoy, if you dont mind me asking what does the pay as you go cost.

mudbud
08-13-2008, 07:34 PM
Not sure if I am allowed to link, but I bought my Iridium @ roadpost.ca Very efficient and competent people. Fast shipping, great phone (a little heavier then the others but worth it in reliability)

Avalanche123
08-13-2008, 08:31 PM
I have heard that "pay as you go" is the best option too. That way when you are not using it, there is no cost. With a monthly plan, you have to monitor your usage and I believe if you don't use it, you lose it.....

Wild Images
08-13-2008, 08:42 PM
We rented one last fall from Dekin Sports in Vancouver, they were great to deal with. Might be worth a call, they also have them listed on thier web site.

BlacktailStalker
08-14-2008, 01:34 PM
I researched them last year and Iridium was the one to go with, so good choice.
There was good deals on ebay at the time.

Had this book marked
http://www.globalcomsatphone.com/satellite/phones/motorola_iridium_9505a.html

Mooseman
08-14-2008, 01:45 PM
If you have a Globalstar they have a new plan that is a reflection of the very spotty coverage.
I have it and am stuck with it as I won't throw it away.

The plan that I just got on to today is $19,95 / month unlimited N.American use. If you want to know more just send me a mail or go on their website.

Greetings,
Michael

30-06
08-14-2008, 04:37 PM
i dunno what all the hype about globalstar sucking. are's is fine. use it in the mountians ski-dooing,out on the lake fishing, hunting. we got 600 minutes per year. but we dont just use it for emergencys we use it when ever we go camping

Jager
08-14-2008, 05:53 PM
We have a Globalstar for work - mostly mid to south Vancouver Island and the coverage is very poor. Before I spent my money on a unit I would rent one or do some research. I was told that you can check a website to see when the satellites are overhead...not good if you're in a 'situation'. Apparently too many satellites have fallen from the sky to make the coverage consistent.

Good luck

Avalanche123
08-14-2008, 10:06 PM
We have a Globalstar for work - mostly mid to south Vancouver Island and the coverage is very poor. Before I spent my money on a unit I would rent one or do some research. I was told that you can check a website to see when the satellites are overhead...not good if you're in a 'situation'. Apparently too many satellites have fallen from the sky to make the coverage consistent.
Good luck

Global Star is used in our office from Burns Lake all the way up to the Yukon Border and it is basically terrible everywhere. The odd time we ae able to get a reception but never for much longer than a few minutes. The majority of the time there is no service.....