PDA

View Full Version : Whose tree stand?

Huey
08-13-2008, 04:19 PM
Let's say there is a tree stand made of plywood that has been left up all year in an ideal location... Would it be unethical of me to use the stand to hunt this spot if no one is around? If I knew whose it was I'd be happy to ask permission... Not sure what to do.

sfire436
08-13-2008, 04:24 PM
I would unless it is a portable tree stand that is obviously worth money then leave it, otherwise go ahead, and if the builder shows up while you are up there, share a beer and be on your way.

elkdom
08-13-2008, 04:30 PM
Let's say there is a tree stand made of plywood that has been left up all year in an ideal location... Would it be unethical of me to use the stand to hunt this spot if no one is around? If I knew whose it was I'd be happy to ask permission... Not sure what to do.

On CROWN Land its free range,first come first served, but then there's the "IF"? if a nice guy built the tree stand and he shows up when your using it, he may go away a bit dissapointed, if a gun toting "A-hole" redneck shows up who built the tree stand you may have a serious problem! A couple of years ago in the Easten US, a guy shot 6 people over a tree stand issue, the "wacco' killed 2or 3 and wounded several more! so I guess its your call, use it or dont use it! 'are you feeling lucky today?' are yah?

Brett
08-13-2008, 04:34 PM
is it on public property? I would use it, or maybe you can put a note in it asking if it's ok and check back to see if you get a response :)

moosinaround
08-13-2008, 04:41 PM
Use it! It is crown land. If they don't want you to use it they should take it down! It could be called littering leaving it there!! Moosin

Huey
08-13-2008, 04:48 PM
Yes it's on crown land. No it's not portable, built into three surrounding trees. I guess this could be a good way to find a hunting partner... or an enemy (hopefully not)

Kitimat Killer
08-13-2008, 04:56 PM
here in kitimat there is lots of tree stands that are built in the bush and the rule is first one to the stand gets it

kk

huntergirl270
08-13-2008, 04:59 PM
Yes it's on crown land. No it's not portable, built into three surrounding trees. I guess this could be a good way to find a hunting partner... or an enemy (hopefully not)

Hubby has built a tree stand in a really good spot and I don't think he would kick someone out if he found them there. He left it, its fair game....He would just get up earlier the next day and make sure he was the first one there and not leave until he got his deer lol! ;)
I say go for it.. You never know if it was put up this yr for a specific hunt or if its a leave behind from yrs ago.

08-13-2008, 06:30 PM
Go for it .... Bing, Bang BOOM! out go the lights !

Use it !
Good luck too !
C/T

ARGR
08-13-2008, 06:40 PM
I've built four permanent stands in the bush. I'd be pissed if I got to one and found some wahoo in it. It's not likely anyone will ever beat me in though. Someone put hard work into finding that area and building a permanent stand there. Food for thought.

killman
08-13-2008, 07:12 PM
I've built four permanent stands in the bush. I'd be pissed if I got to one and found some wahoo in it. It's not likely anyone will ever beat me in though. Someone put hard work into finding that area and building a permanent stand there. Food for thought.

I'm with you. I would be a little upset if someone was it my stand. You want to hunt in a stand, build you own.:shock::shock:

Avalanche123
08-13-2008, 07:13 PM
here in kitimat there is lots of tree stands that are built in the bush and the rule is first one to the stand gets it
kk

Sorry I don't really agree. If I was in a stand I had not built, I would very willingly give it up. Someone went into a lot of effort to build it and the least I could do is give it up. I would ask the person if I could use it if isn't and go from there.

Now I admit there are some pretty old stand out there that somebody's great Uncle built and is common knowledge. But a new stand that you didn't build, I'd be courteous and give it up.

This is all IMHO.

Huey
08-13-2008, 07:49 PM
Of course i'd give it up to the owner, but it's not okay for me to keep it warm for him while he's not there?

Avalanche123
08-13-2008, 08:13 PM
Sure I think it would be ok to use it as it is on crown land after all. I think you are on the right track!

hotload
08-13-2008, 08:46 PM
If it was your scouting that found a good spot, and your hard effort to saw, nail, lift and erect it, that does not give anybody that happens by it accidently, to hunt from it. I don't care if it is on crown land, there is lots of land that he can lay claim to. If I built it, I would be hunting from there lots and if you happen to be in it, I'm Pissed. You better GIT GONE,

gbear
08-13-2008, 08:48 PM

I'm with you on this one too. I've built a few stands in the bush as well for specific hunts and I wouldn't be too happy if someone was in it and didn't move on if I came by. I had someone in 1 of my stands a couple of years ago. I didn't see them, but seen their tracks in the snow from the day before. Good thing they weren't there the day I wanted tp hunt it because I shot a 159" whitetail the next day. Since then, I have learned to put them well away from any access. No problems since.

2slow
08-13-2008, 08:49 PM
If it was your scouting that found a good spot, and your hard effort to saw, nail, lift and erect it, that does not give anybody that happens by it accidently, to hunt from it. I don't care if it is on crown land, there is lots of land that he can lay claim to. If I built it, I would be hunting from there lots and if you happen to be in it, I'm Pissed. You better GIT GONE,

Well you better be signing your name on it then because your gonna have to prove you built it. For all I know you found it the day before

sparky300winmag
08-13-2008, 08:51 PM
I would just go ahead and use it if its on Crown and if the guy showed up let him have it.No harm no foul.

rock
08-13-2008, 08:53 PM
permanent tree stands bring to many hunters in the area, portable is the way to go, they don't know you are there, and don't find the really good spots due to these hints.

killman
08-13-2008, 08:54 PM
That's why I pack a chainsaw. Just in case someone is in my stand.:p:p

Shooter
08-13-2008, 08:54 PM
I say if you wanna lay claim to your very own stand on crown land then you should buy a removable stand. A permanent structure is basically fair game. Either that or hide it well enough that the odds of someone else stumbling across it is remote and/or make sure you are up and mobile earlier than the next guy.

hotload
08-13-2008, 09:00 PM
2slow, If i didn't build it i wouldn't be ignorant enough to claim it. There is only so many hunts out of a stand and I know these people won't have prepared for the hunt like i do, like slipping in and out of a stand when all is clear and soaping and scenting, proper camo. Everything i prepared for while i built and thought about the stand,and as to how and when to hunt it. As far as i am concerned, writing my name or not, if your in my stand, your leaving, the only decision you have to make is WHAT WILL BE YOUR MODE OF TRANSPORTATION OUT OF THERE!!!!!!!

Shooter
08-13-2008, 09:05 PM
[quote=elkdom;314179]A couple of years ago in the Easten US, a guy shot 6 people over a tree stand issue[quote]

Wow was that you Hotload?

lineofsight
08-13-2008, 09:14 PM
Had not expected the stay out of my stand responses. Rather thought that as part of a hunting community would want the best use to be made of it and if using one would want to maintain it / preserve it for future use.

Am curious though, what happens if person who did not build stand is in area first and not using stand? Does the builder of the stand (proof of building issue aside) expect the other to clear out?

Would be interesting to watch - both parties armed, one higher up, one with cover/mobility...

Shooter
08-13-2008, 09:16 PM
Exactly. What if you went to your permanent stand and a guy already had a removable stand set up in a nearby tree? Is it still YOUR area? Crown land is crown land, stand or not, its first come first serve.

jrjonesy
08-13-2008, 09:19 PM
so maybe change the direction a little bit. I usually have 3 or 4 portable stands up and may move them throughout the season. They are rarely however sitting in my shed during hunting season. So you are walking through the bush on a friday and find my portable stand hung in a good location. Knowing there is a higher possibility the owner would probably use it on a Saturday, those of you who say its on Crown Land... would you use it?

My opinion is this.... I would never use someone else's portable stand BUT I would feel OK using a permanent stand. My stance would be however if the owner showed up to use the permanent stand, I'd immediately offer to vacate.

On the flip side, if someone beat me to one of my portable or permanent stands there'd be a polite conversation explaining the situation. I wouldn't ruin that individuals hunt for that morning or afternoon and I think being an ahole would just ruin everybodies hunt. I don't think you can just put a stand up and expect that no one else can hunt there. It comes back to the million other discussions in this forum... if you want to hunt there, get there first.

If this becomes too much of a problem, your hunting around too many people.:-P:-P

jrjonesy
08-13-2008, 09:27 PM
I encountered a permanent stand once... had a tupperware container and log book in it...."please use this stand, respect it and preserve it. I built to sit in with my young son... please record your experience in the book". There was about 4 years of different hunters experiences written in it from all over BC, who knows, maybe some from this forum. Now there's a great hunting community attitude! It was awesome to read all of the great comments and even included details from a couple successful hunts! I was sure to add my appreciation even though I never saw any animals.

Avalanche123
08-13-2008, 09:27 PM
I used to build stands and now I have portable ones. If I am going to leave it over the week or for an extended period of time, I take the tree climbing pegs out. Not so much others can't use but more so it won't get stolen. I only do this where I know people frequent.

hotload
08-13-2008, 09:37 PM
I suppose the jist of this whole thread is that, it seems to be cut down the middle about should I or shouldn't I. Some people would be pissed some wouldn't. I appreciate Huey even asking the question. He just wants to do what the popular poll is in our hunting community. The problem lies that the stand he is sitting in, just might be the wrong guys. Holidays and Annual Leave are worked hard for and worshipped , why wreck it by promoting a real, real bad day. So, just keep walking.

Huey
08-13-2008, 09:42 PM
I encountered a permanent stand once... had a tupperware container and log book in it...."please use this stand, respect it and preserve it. I built to sit in with my young son... please record your experience in the book". There was about 4 years of different hunters experiences written in it from all over BC, who knows, maybe some from this forum. Now there's a great hunting community attitude! It was awesome to read all of the great comments and even included details from a couple successful hunts! I was sure to add my appreciation even though I never saw any animals.

Wow what a great idea! Unfortunately this stand doesn't have so much... Hopefully someday I can build one with my son for others, as mentioned.

I am quite interested at the responses... For now because it has annoyed just one person, that I may be in another's stand, I think I will just leave it alone.
I just wish I ran into the owner so I could ask permission. I think that's what I would appreciate if I were in their position.

Thanks for everyone's input.

08-13-2008, 10:00 PM
Owner nothing, if it's a portable I think thats a whole other thing, I would leave a portable alone. I have found and sat in a couple of old wooden built stands over the years, so you better get there pretty damn early if you think your claiming it as yours or better then that take your sleeping bag and spend the night. A permanent stand on grown land is any ones for the taking. Now if it were brand new, and tracks or evidence that someone is using it daily, that's another story. But an aged, older and obviously well used stand cannot be claimed by anyone unless it's on private property.
I'll do it again.

Phreddy
08-13-2008, 10:28 PM
As mentioned earlier in this thread. If I build a permanent stand on public land and you find it, I would just hope that you would have the common courtesy of moving on.
On the other hand, if I scout out a place and put my portable self-climber there for the next day and find you in it, you won't have to climb down from it as I'll help you down with the chainsaw in my truck.
If you remove it and I happen along while you're carrying it, I only hope you can run real fast in a zig zag pattern. ;-)>

2slow
08-13-2008, 10:48 PM
2slow, If i didn't build it i wouldn't be ignorant enough to claim it. There is only so many hunts out of a stand and I know these people won't have prepared for the hunt like i do, like slipping in and out of a stand when all is clear and soaping and scenting, proper camo. Everything i prepared for while i built and thought about the stand,and as to how and when to hunt it. As far as i am concerned, writing my name or not, if your in my stand, your leaving, the only decision you have to make is WHAT WILL BE YOUR MODE OF TRANSPORTATION OUT OF THERE!!!!!!!

Dont make me laugh and dont act like a child. If its your stand I would get out but if you came at me full of piss and vinegar be prepared to have the butt end of a rifle stamped on your forehead. Your probably the same type of yahoo that parks their rig across the bottom of the forest service roads to claim that area also. Oh and if it was a brand new stand I wouldnt go into it, if it showed some weathering then its fair game. I like the idea stated before of a log left in the stand that would be some awesome reading. I also would not go near a portable stand as that is someones personal property.

08-13-2008, 10:51 PM
No Kidding !!
To funny !

fozzy
08-13-2008, 11:02 PM

Now that sounds more like the whole sport of hunting to me. One of my partners always seems to spot stands that are on crown land and that are permanent. He uses them lots. Last year he was sitting in the tree line watching a cut and looked up to see a nice platform. We'll he used the stand and shot a decent Mulie from it and later the same day another partner shot the other 4pt that had been under the stand.

Same feelings here. If it's home built and nobody is in it carry on and use it. If I hung a comercial stand and someone was in it I'd feel different. I'm not real big on sitting on my butt all day so chances are you won't find me in your homemade stand. As my partner would attest you might find me asleep in your stand if I chose to use it. Seems to happen when I sit too long in the bush. :)

happygilmore
08-13-2008, 11:08 PM
With all due respect and remember I say with all due respect! who do you hunters think you are! You can't lay claim to a structure build on crown land, it doesn't matter if you built it or not, and that's the law! If you built a natural ground blind does that mean no one can use YOUR pile of branches? :?:
My hunting crew puts out about 5-6 portable stands out a year and lock them to trees, I don't think I would even kick someone out if I found them in it. It probably won't be there next time he comes around though.
Out of respect if I was sitting in someone elses stand I would offer to move on.:razz:
If he was a self absorbed a-hole I would climb out of the stand move three trees over and start building a stand making as much noise as possible, then I would come back and flag the trail to MY stand and leave a note on it saying anyone can use it, oh don't forget to post an add in the local buysell Firearms section with the location of MY treestand along with an invitaion. :!:
Think before you treat people like trash, Karma's cruel.

moosinaround
08-13-2008, 11:17 PM
If I scouted out the spot? Everyone has a right to hunt on public land! You are not the only one that knows that SECRET spot! If you are not the first one into the stand, then you snooze you lose! Respect that right! I have secret spots, usually I will put in a portable stand, or a temp. blind. Usually camoflaged up pretty good. If I am going to hunt it, I will ensure I am the first in! When scouting make a backup plan! Then you may take your game while the guy in the stand watches! Moosin

Greenhead
08-13-2008, 11:18 PM
Interesting thread! I have been scouting all summer, and have decided on a location for my portable stand. It is hung and I am counting the days till I get to harvest a sweet buck with my bow from it!
Some people are saying that I should go home when I arrive to find some one else sitting in it because it is located on crown land????? I hope I don't run into this situation or you will be reading about it in the Vancouver Province, not HBC!
I already lost a couple trail cams, and hope to meet the guy in my stand this year!
GH

2slow
08-13-2008, 11:23 PM
Interesting thread! I have been scouting all summer, and have decided on a location for my portable stand. It is hung and I am counting the days till I get to harvest a sweet buck with my bow from it!
Some people are saying that I should go home when I arrive to find some one else sitting in it because it is located on crown land????? I hope I don't run into this situation or you will be reading about it in the Vancouver Province, not HBC!
I already lost a couple trail cams, and hope to meet the guy in my stand this year!
GH

I really cant see to many people climbing into your portable. Like i said above portables are peoples property. A permanent stand that is weathered I view as a donation to all hunters to use. If I was to make a stand on crown land I would probably leave the log book. That was an awesome idea.

hunter1947
08-14-2008, 03:20 AM
I would have no problem using this tree stand ,its out in the bush and if it is on crown land and not on someones property then use it.

If the person was to come there when you are up in it ,then let him use it if he is the builder of it.

If you do know this person you can always as him if you can use it when he is not going to use it ,just so the two of you won't be there at the same time wanting to use it..

Buy knowing who owens this tree stand helps big time ,this stop's anyone that will come there saying that it is there tree stand ,good luck with your outcome.

GoatGuy
08-14-2008, 07:33 AM

I would say sit in it and enjoy the hunt. There's nothing unethical about sitting in a treestand.

We have a bunch of treestands and blinds. I've always thought if someone's putting enough effort of heading into the bush and getting into our stands then by all means use 'em.

I've seen guys in our stands and I just head into another spot. If we bump into them after dark the biggest thing we want to know is what they saw.

We certainly don't use all the treestands and I'd be delighted to see another hunter put one of the whopper bucks we've been chasing on the ground.

If you find one of ours feel free.

Wild one
08-14-2008, 08:00 AM
I built stands in Alberta and always put up more than one to an area just incase some one was sitting in my stand. I say it is a risk you take making stands out in the bush. Now for the guys who would be pissed what if a guy set up with in a 100yards of the stand you built on the same trail before you got there are you going to tell him to leave?

Ron.C
08-14-2008, 08:04 AM
I also feel that by building something permanent, is not laying a claim to the spot. If I encounter a portable stand, I leave the area. I may not be happy about it but I know how I would feel if someone kept lingering in the area they knew I was hunting. But if I were to encounter a permanent stand that is newish, I would treat it like the portable stand and assume someone is coming back to hunt it, for that season only. After that, I still wouldn't hunt out of someone elses stand "without permission", but wouldn't have a problem hunting the general area it is in.

hotload
08-14-2008, 04:10 PM
2slow, see this is what I am talking about, everything has gone from ,What should I do?, to people getting permission, to people just keeping on walking, and now it gets physical, why would you want to get into writing a check you probably can't cash, in the middle of the bush no less, it ain't worth it. None of this is going to change anybody's mind about whether they want somebody in their stand, or they do. There is many different people out there. People have voiced their views. Now your going to stamp the butt end of your gun in my face. You are probably a good hunter and a real tough guy in your weight category, stay in it. Happy Hunting

2slow
08-14-2008, 04:56 PM
2slow, see this is what I am talking about, everything has gone from ,What should I do?, to people getting permission, to people just keeping on walking, and now it gets physical, why would you want to get into writing a check you probably can't cash, in the middle of the bush no less, it ain't worth it. None of this is going to change anybody's mind about whether they want somebody in their stand, or they do. There is many different people out there. People have voiced their views. Now your going to stamp the butt end of your gun in my face. You are probably a good hunter and a real tough guy in your weight category, stay in it. Happy Hunting

I would only stamp the rifle if someone came at me with threat and attitude which is what your post seemed to be conveying as far as weight class goes I have been a bouncer in a few different establishments in my younger days but I am getting too old for that crap now (insert country song 'I aint as good as I once was--but Im as good once as I ever was')
Either way case closed overreaction on both our parts I do believe and I do apologize, I am usually fairly easy to get along with :smile:

The Hermit
08-14-2008, 05:12 PM
I would be very careful about the quality of the construction... it doesn't take but a blink of the eye to be on your back on the ground if a shoddy home built lets go!

ARGR
08-14-2008, 05:27 PM
I built stands in Alberta and always put up more than one to an area just incase some one was sitting in my stand. I say it is a risk you take making stands out in the bush. Now for the guys who would be pissed what if a guy set up with in a 100yards of the stand you built on the same trail before you got there are you going to tell him to leave?

When the moose steps out he just has to get into action faster than me. Not likely either. Besides, who would do that, knowing that there was an occupied stand around? Some dick who shouldn't be in the woods anyway.
A little common sense goes a long way.

mark4
08-14-2008, 05:28 PM
I have quite a few different permanent stands in different locations. I don't want to sound like a pushover because I'm not- but I would never think to be rude or threatening to another hunter that happened to be using one when I got there. The chances are the guy is just giving it a try - and is most likely a nice guy just trying something new. I also know that he is most likely a lot like myself and might be worth talking to. How is he supposed to know that someone else is also showing up the same day ??? There is one stand I have however that I have shot four different whitetails out of - I wouldn't like it if someone was in that one at the peak of the rut- but I would still be civil about it and most likely move to another spot before spooking all the game. No use being bitter LOL . Someone said Karma is cruel- very true- that's why I wouldn't want to be ignorant to a fellow hunter giving it a try. There is enough game out there for everyone and lot's of awesome territory- no need to get nasty in all reality.

ARGR
08-14-2008, 05:30 PM
And yes, I would expect someone to have the common courtesy to leave my stand if I showed up.

BCrams
08-14-2008, 05:48 PM
A contentious issue of sorts.

I have personally found a few stands on crown land and have used them.

I believe if you build a treestand or blind on crown land, you are also building it for anyone else who happens along and wishes to use it.

Case in point, say there's a stand I find in an area I hunt frequently that someone else built and I decide its in a great spot and the said hunter(s) are not around and I start using it over the next few days and then the hunter who built the stand shows up on day 4 or 5 of my hunt expecting he is going to have exclusive use of the stand is wrong. I'd be like, "Whoa dude - I've been hunting the area for X years and this spot the last few days and I'm not going anywhere."

That said, if I put the effort to built a stand in a good hunting area and someone comes a long and finds it and wants to start using it, thats the risk I take. If I come along and some guy is using the stand and camped nearby, then I will pick up and go elsewhere or if the area is large enough - elsewhere nearby.....he got there before I did.

I, or someone else may not like it, but thats the risk you take when building a treestand / blind on crown land. Have at it and enjoy the hunt !!!

Wild one
08-14-2008, 10:03 PM
ARGR I had this happen and the guy did not see my stand.

TimberPig
08-16-2008, 10:44 AM
On CROWN Land its free range,first come first served, but then there's the "IF"? if a nice guy built the tree stand and he shows up when your using it, he may go away a bit dissapointed, if a gun toting "A-hole" redneck shows up who built the tree stand you may have a serious problem! A couple of years ago in the Easten US, a guy shot 6 people over a tree stand issue, the "wacco' killed 2or 3 and wounded several more! so I guess its your call, use it or dont use it! 'are you feeling lucky today?' are yah?

There's a little more to it than a dispute over a treestand. The treestand happened to be on private land, the nutjob knew this and had been asked to leave previously, and then went back on the private land into that stand. Once again they were going to tell him to leave when something snapped and he started shooting.

TIKA 300
08-17-2008, 04:10 PM
Sorry I don't really agree. If I was in a stand I had not built, I would very willingly give it up. Someone went into a lot of effort to build it and the least I could do is give it up. I would ask the person if I could use it if isn't and go from there.

Now I admit there are some pretty old stand out there that somebody's great Uncle built and is common knowledge. But a new stand that you didn't build, I'd be courteous and give it up.

This is all IMHO.
HOW are they gonna prove its theirs,receipts ??????

Built 1 yes,bought 1 no,its common sense.

Come to think of it,i'll start building tree stands in $h!ty areas for others to find and use,so that will keep them outta the good areas(joking)

KodiakHntr
08-17-2008, 08:59 PM
I'm suprised that no one has brought up the fact that building permanent stands in trees on crown land is illegal. And for that matter so is spiking trees....

wsm
08-17-2008, 10:07 PM
first of all, WE as hunters are NOT supposed to build permanent structures on crown land. having said that if i had and found someone in my stand it would bother me a bit, but i would try as hard as i could to sneak away so not to disrupt his/her hunt.I'd get there earlier the next morning. i have a ladder stand i could lend you if it becomes a problem.

gitnadoix
08-17-2008, 10:22 PM
Portable or not does not give any other tax payer any more right over a spot than any other tax payer. None of us alive today was ever the first person to that zipper-mouth meadow. Hell there has been people hunting this chunk of realestate for 1000's of years. And to all the folks that think spending a little energy carrying wood, or a portable in the woods some how gives them first dibs on a particular that they think they have just discoverd, take a chill pill. If you realy want to hunt a spot get there
first. There are no other rules than that on crown land.

Permanent I would climb, portable I would ignore as yes its private property equipment, just like finding a wallet ya turn it back. But in both cases I would not leave the area if I was set on hunting there and there first. If some else is there tip toe away and find some where else.

trencher
08-17-2008, 10:33 PM
if i find a stand it's usually late in the day or when i'm scouting. If i think i might want to hunt it i will leave a note and check for a response when i get there. That being said i don't use stands that are new or obviously used regularly. As for the someone wanting me to vacate it issue; i would likely leave if it became an issue for the guy. More just to avoid a problem in the bush. That also being said if he is a dick then he'd better hope i don't see him at the pub away from our firearms.:twisted: I have respect for others hunting as long as they show the same respect, but some don't. That's why i try to hunt away from well used areas. Too many self important and selfish people in the bush these days. My 2 cents :)

anglo-saxon
08-17-2008, 10:33 PM
It probably shouldn't be there in the first place. Hmmm, plywood, that's realyl aesthetically pleasing in ther forrest!

As for using it? Public land. Apparently abandoned property. Shouldn't be a problem (unless as stated above, you manage to PO the builder.

Avalanche123
08-18-2008, 08:44 AM
HOW are they gonna prove its theirs,receipts ??????

Built 1 yes,bought 1 no,its common sense.

Come to think of it,i'll start building tree stands in $h!ty areas for others to find and use,so that will keep them outta the good areas(joking)

I would take their word on it. And even if it wasn't theirs, it still isn't mine. Knowing that before hand I'd be prepared to give it up.

There are more important things in life to get worked over than a tree stand anyway IMHO.

MOWITCH SLAYER
08-18-2008, 09:04 AM
I have a permanent stand on a game trail alone a river. On several occasions i have found it taken. if i don,t know the hunter i ask them to leave my stand. And like allways you get @#* holes that refuse to leave.
it's a chance you take when do make a stand on crown land. I would say if you can't ask don't use it. portable stands are getting cheaper and are real easy to use.

catwelder
08-18-2008, 12:56 PM
Wow, what a diverse group of hunters on this site. I think this is the reason i log on every day. Heres my 2 cents

1) If your hunting on crown land then first come first hunt.

2) If you built a stand that someone else can find/use, to bad

3) Put your name and number on stands that you build. Some people
may be nice enough to call and see if you will be using it on a particular day. Communication can go a long ways and could save headaches in the field. We all leave in the morning for the same reasons.

4) Nobody has the right to claim crown land as their own by means of a cabin/stand/pickup across the road or anything else. This to me is ridiculous as most of us pay taxes and are free to use the crowns land as much as the next guy.

5) Always have a backup plan for your day so that if someone is in your stand area your day is not shot to hell. I think if someone beat you to an area walk away quietly and get up earlier the next day.

6) A good idea is to have a roll of surveyors tape and a sharpie marker on hand. I like to flag off a trail head with my name the date and the location of where i will be hunting to save someone a hike only to find out there is someone else in there. If someone ignores it that says alot about their ethics.

7) Finally if you build a stand on crown land, build it bigger and bring a kid!

Bowzone_Mikey
08-18-2008, 02:59 PM
hmmm

I read the first 2 pages and this page 7 ....
I am really surprised at some of the responses

first and foremost its on crown land ... if forestry service finds it .. they must tear it down (liability issue on their part) if there is no lease or anything on that particular part of land.

Secondly its on crown land ...it belongs to all of us.... he that puts in the work to build it is a good samaritan, nothing more ... heck it couldve been built by a land stewardship organization for all BCers to use for all you know ...

first come first served and if you find a stand

Avalanche123
08-18-2008, 03:01 PM
hmmm

first come first served and if you find a stand

Ok you build it and we will all come! :) Just kidding.....

bckev
08-19-2008, 09:51 AM
I will solve this issue once and for and all, I am the guy that built all of the tree stands that you find in the bush, they are all built ecologically, it only looks like spikes and plywood. If you want to use one of my tree stands send me a small donation and it is yours to use when ever you want. Hope this helps and that goes for you too mowitch slayer.

huntwriter
08-19-2008, 10:14 AM
That’s an issue that has been debated since the first treestands were built.

There is even an ethical code that says just because you found a treestand that is not in use does not make it yours.

Personally I never ever hunt from a permanent built treestand made of wood. These are death traps. Statics show that homebuilt trestands account for most stand related accidents.

Second, I respect the property of others regardless of the fact on what land it is set up.

Third, just because a treetsand is set up does not mean that it is on a hot game trail. Deer wise up quickly and will change travel patterns when they see a treestand. Or food sources change and the stand becomes cold. In short I scout my own location and hang my own stand. Should I ever walk up on one of my stands and find another hunter he has two choices. Either he gives the stand up or I will make him do it. It all boils down to one simple word. RESPECT!

The lack of Rrespect these days is one of the reasons why I use mostly climbing stands and remove the ladders on my hang on stands. I also pull all my stands after the hunting season or even during hunting season if a location gets cold or I killed a deer from it.

hunter1947
08-20-2008, 07:24 AM
I don't have to worry about if I wanted to sit in someone else's tree stand ,I have my own http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon12.gif.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/102_1645.JPG (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=9520&limit=recent)

Huey
08-20-2008, 08:40 AM
I don't have to worry about if I wanted to sit in someone else's tree stand ,I have my own http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon12.gif.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/102_1645.JPG (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=9520&limit=recent)

Hey Hunter,

Don't mind me, sometime in the next few weeks I'll be sitting in your tree stand. Looks like its in some nice country, lots of nice bucks around, a moose and some sweet sheep too!! Hey it even has a ladder for me to use as well! Hope you don't mind. Thanks for putting it up though!!

Huey

hunter1947
08-20-2008, 09:02 AM
Hey Hunter,

Don't mind me, sometime in the next few weeks I'll be sitting in your tree stand. Looks like its in some nice country, lots of nice bucks around, a moose and some sweet sheep too!! Hey it even has a ladder for me to use as well! Hope you don't mind. Thanks for putting it up though!!

Huey

Where I go you will never find it ,so I have no worries about anyone sitting in it ,LOL :lol::lol:.

Mr. Dean
08-20-2008, 09:40 AM
If it were mine, I would expect others to use it and wouldn't fuss if another was there when I showed up. Its crown land and nothing is private under these circumstances.

But I wouldn't bother building one to begin with.

MB_Boy
08-20-2008, 09:52 AM
With the way some have responded.......I hope you never set foot in an old trappers cabin (on crown land) and have him show up with you in there.......or me if I "claim" to have built it??:rolleyes: If I say "get out".....I guess it is okay even if you have absolutely NO proof that I built "said cabin"?

I have built tree stands on crown land AND have snuck through/into the area to find a hunter in the stand I have built. The way I look at it.....you build it out on crown land.....you take your chances in someone being there. Without providing DNA evidence who is to say if I show up and say "I built it....get out or else" there is any validity to my claims of "owning" the tree stand; thus the area around it?

This is just my opinion.....but those who are saying..."it's my stand, get lost".....shouldn't be the ones complaining about people parking their truck at the bottom of a spur blocking access. It is crown land....anyone has access to it. "Yes" there is consideration and respect which seems to be lost on some individuals but the "rightful ownership" of a stand on public land seems pretty "loosey goosey".

I guess techincally it is fine for me to build a cabin on crown land....wherever I choose and put a big sign on it that says "keep out or else"??:?:

Huey
08-20-2008, 09:55 AM
Where I go you will never find it ,so I have no worries about anyone sitting in it ,LOL :lol::lol:.

No no no just leave right it there... I like it where it is. :p

lucky07
08-20-2008, 09:59 AM
use it. it's illegal to build a permanent structure on crown land anyways. So it's not supposed to be there in the 1st place. This is obviously not enforced and would be dumb if it was. But thats how it goes. If the guy shows up leave it to him. Offer to leave, he might be a good guy and ask if you want to stick around. Never know. But don't take no shit from someone who starts off pissed as hell. Leave and then take the legal route ... its ok for you to be a prick too if he's one.

The 'Hummer'
08-20-2008, 10:27 AM
That’s an issue that has been debated since the first treestands were built.

There is even an ethical code that says just because you found a treestand that is not in use does not make it yours.

Personally I never ever hunt from a permanent built treestand made of wood. These are death traps. Statics show that homebuilt trestands account for most stand related accidents.

Second, I respect the property of others regardless of the fact on what land it is set up.

Third, just because a treetsand is set up does not mean that it is on a hot game trail. Deer wise up quickly and will change travel patterns when they see a treestand. Or food sources change and the stand becomes cold. In short I scout my own location and hang my own stand. Should I ever walk up on one of my stands and find another hunter he has two choices. Either he gives the stand up or I will make him do it. It all boils down to one simple word. RESPECT!

The lack of Rrespect these days is one of the reasons why I use mostly climbing stands and remove the ladders on my hang on stands. I also pull all my stands after the hunting season or even during hunting season if a location gets cold or I killed a deer from it.

Well put and I totally agree.