PDA

View Full Version : I feel like its Dec 23rd!!

bochunk2000
08-13-2008, 11:19 AM
I'm leaving tomorrow evening to hunt opening day for moose in Ft St John. I was sad to put an end to my pre trip Practice shooting when I put my bow on the bus Monday but the groups are tight. I praticed enough that I need to replace most of the fletching on my practice arrows. I have shot out to 60 yrds and at that distance most of my arrows are inside the 6" circle all of them inside an 8" circle. I should be ok on a Moose anywhere inside of that. Just packing the last of my stuff today as I couldn't wait till tomorrow to do it. My Buudy who lives there has been out scouting areas and checking with all of his contacts around there as to where to go. I hope the trip goes well.
Steve.

Avalanche123
08-13-2008, 01:11 PM
Why did you put your bow on the bus? If you are flying, I am sure you can fly with it? Other than my curious questions, good luck with your hunt!

Bow Walker
08-13-2008, 06:58 PM
Jeez, I envy you!! Have a great trip, come back with 'da meat and some memorable stories, and above all - post some pics - so that the rest of us can live/hunt vicariously.

bochunk2000
08-13-2008, 07:50 PM
Why did you put your bow on the bus? If you are flying, I am sure you can fly with it? Other than my curious questions, good luck with your hunt!

$125 each way on the plane $25 for extra bag and $100 for over 62 linear inches....$30 on the bus.
I will try and take a bunch of good picss to post.
Steve.

huntwriter
08-13-2008, 08:36 PM
Well it seems like that your shooting practice produced results now you will get to try it out for real on a moose no less. I would feel like Christmas too.:smile:

Good luck and come back here to tell us all about the trip.

bochunk2000
08-21-2008, 10:16 AM
Well lets start off with no Moose down. We saw a few cow calf pairs and some Elk. I saw some White tails and some big Mulie bucks. We had 27-30 deg heat every day and a bright full moon all night. We were told by some local trappers that they had seen many moose sucumb to ticks because of the heavy snow fall two years in a row. We ended up talking to a low bed driver that said he had been seeing a bull everynight in this one area. It was all the way down by Chetwynd. We packed up and headed that way. We seemed to have bad luck. We kept running into guys in trucks working gas lines that would tell us they had just passed a bull down "x" road at kilometre "x". We would head over that way and ofcourse no moose. I was amazed by all the Right of ways they have up there. 100 feet wide and kilometers long, everywhere. I think that things would have gotten better if I had more than 4 days to hunt. But you take what you can get. The temp dropped yesterday quite a bit so maybe that will ge them moving. Now I'm looking forward to the deer season here.
Steve

Avalanche123
08-21-2008, 10:27 AM
Sounds like an interesting trip. Don't be too frustrated as I am sure you learned lots from the experience.
The temps were pretty warm when you were up there.

moosinaround
08-21-2008, 10:43 AM
That is a tough bow hunt that time of year! Lots of activity in the area with gas and oil, warm weather, not rutting yet, not reponding to calls! It is a tough hunt for rifle hunters, let alone bow hunters! Good for you getting up there and giving it a try! Next year it will be different, more experience and more local knowledge! Good luck with the deer, hope you bag a beauty! Moosin

Bow Walker
08-21-2008, 07:46 PM
:wink: He generally does.....bag a good one, that is.8)