PDA

View Full Version : grouse count

bckev
08-13-2008, 09:40 AM
I am seeing more grouse this year than I have in a long time and am curious what others are seeing. I am sure that I am seeing at least a second hatch and am wondereing about the possibility of a third.

sneg
08-13-2008, 09:42 AM
i think we have good numbers this year.looking forward to some action.

Wildman
08-13-2008, 09:48 AM
I've seen more Ruffed Grouse this year than I have in previous years. No Blue's though.

Mr. Dean
08-13-2008, 09:51 AM
Yep, lots af little peepers runnin' around out there. It's goin to be an excellent season.

Took this 2 weeks ago;

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/DSC_0072-2.jpg

Phreddy
08-13-2008, 09:56 AM
That's amazing. I've seen the smallest number of grouse I've ever seen in this area. Thought it was the cool, wet spring we had. Do lots of back road and logging road driving and have literally seen only about 3 grouse in total. Guess it's just our turn to have a slow one in western region 8.

Mr. Friendly
08-13-2008, 03:00 PM
bckev...where abouts are you seeing them? first season of hunting ever here and my brother and I are gunning for small game and upland birds. know where some rabbit is...but not so sure about how far up we should go for grouse. we're in Kamloops.

heard there's a nice bunch out Cache Creek range, but for the life of me, I can't find the thread that gave some nicer specifics. :(

308BAR
08-13-2008, 03:18 PM
Yeah seen a few ditch chickens on the fsr, nearly ran a few of the chicken nuggets over because their standing in the middle of the road around a blind corner.

Rusty
08-13-2008, 03:48 PM
Saw so many last year stopped countin, Couple days had the whole weeks breakfast supply, Love that lemon Grouse!

hunter1947
08-14-2008, 03:40 AM
I have seen lots of grouse as well ,its going to be a good year for them with what I have seen.

Shed Hunter
08-14-2008, 07:23 AM
There was lots last year, and more this year

bckev
08-14-2008, 08:27 AM
I am not sure about the Kamloops area for birds, along the thompson I would assumel,have seen them when I was fishing (years ago mind you). I am in the south okanagan. I have to get a shotgun this year to make sure I don't miss the birds, the eyesight isn't what it used to be.

wolverine
08-14-2008, 10:41 AM
Ah yes, but where do they go in September/October??? I have seen tons of grouse in the spring. Blues so thick and stupid that I actually shoved it off the road with my boot. Had to be careful where you stepped because they wouldn't move. But come open season...........nada! That combined with the first few times they are shot at and it can be tough in region 2 to find any. I used to have a secret alpine blueberry patch that I would take my grouse out of but that was long since discovered by the masses and there isn't much left. Guess I'll be looking to shoot a few up in region 3 this year.

Mr. Dean
08-14-2008, 11:42 AM
Ah yes, but where do they go in September/October??? I have seen tons of grouse in the spring. Blues so thick and stupid that I actually shoved it off the road with my boot. Had to be careful where you stepped because they wouldn't move. But come open season...........nada! That combined with the first few times they are shot at and it can be tough in region 2 to find any. I used to have a secret alpine blueberry patch that I would take my grouse out of but that was long since discovered by the masses and there isn't much left. Guess I'll be looking to shoot a few up in region 3 this year..

My experience is that the blues go high, come fall.
AND migrate to reg 3. :smile:

FlyingHigh
08-14-2008, 12:38 PM
anyone know how the grouse are doing in 3-30? i usually see about 6 or 8 in a weekend during the fall. maybe i'm doing something wrong. lol.

o2fish2day
08-14-2008, 06:14 PM
I saw two grouse in July on a paved road, but havent' seen any walking around or driving the logging roads in 3-30. It wasnt great for them last year either but did find some. I can't beleive you guys are all saying you are seeing lots. Where?!?!

I had already written off this year as a lousy grouse year.

Red Foreman
08-14-2008, 08:31 PM
I've been seeing lots all around Merritt.All the zones.

08-15-2008, 07:59 PM
saw some nice size ones up near Hut lake in Squamish about 2 weeks ago.

FlyingHigh
08-16-2008, 12:13 PM
I saw two grouse in July on a paved road, but havent' seen any walking around or driving the logging roads in 3-30. It wasnt great for them last year either but did find some. I can't beleive you guys are all saying you are seeing lots. Where?!?!

yeah, i saw 6 all season. and only got a shot at one, which i killed.

guess i'm heading for merrit for my grouse this year. never been there though. and suggestions or hints where i should try?

outdoorsman812
08-16-2008, 08:29 PM
a few weeks ago i had the chance while off work to go up in the hills for a drive and saw several large families of blue grouse, and a few large adult blue's, didn't see any ruffie's but i did see a spruce hen with a couple chicks, I thought there would be alot less becuase of the long cold, wet spring we had, but so far it looks alright

Gateholio
08-16-2008, 08:36 PM
There was a ruffed grouse sitting on the patio in Whistler Village this morning..:-P

Junorr500
08-17-2008, 08:15 AM
I havent seen a single one in the okanagan valley yet. Ive been out scouting a couple times and rabbit hunitng as well. Thats not going so well either.

bsa30-06
08-17-2008, 09:20 AM
I have always seen lots of grouse in the area that i hunt, so i'm kinda expecting that to change anytime now.Usually see a few rabbitts in the later evening hours aswell.Since i told my 4 year old son i would take him grouse hunting this year (and he wont let me forget it either, everyday its daddy we go grouse hunting tomorrow)it will probably be this year that all the grouse dissappear.

bckev
08-21-2008, 09:36 AM
Did a scouting trip yesterday. Great fun, jumped some whitetails, the fawn almost ran into me. Took a few more steps and jumped some mulies. Saw tons of grouse, including some big blues. Great day even if it was raining. Can't wait for the season.

moosinaround
08-21-2008, 09:44 AM
I suspect that in 10 days grouse populations around the province will take drastic declines in population numbers!! I know they will in MU 7A:smile: Moosin

Mr. Dean
08-21-2008, 10:01 AM
I can't wait for a fresh breast in hand... Then sizzling in a pan over an open fire. :evil:

moosinaround
08-21-2008, 10:48 AM
I can't wait for a fresh breast in hand... Then sizzling in a pan over an open fire. :evil:
I hear yah!!