PDA

View Full Version : location, location, location

kastles
08-12-2008, 11:46 PM
hey my name is matt and this will be my second season hunting. me and a group of buddies all started last year and didn't do to hot. this year we have a few more buddies with their liscences and want to get out and get some deer. we just bought a wall tent and cannot wait to make use of it. but as all of us are new to it i was hoping some of yous would give us a bit of direction of where to go. from the lower mainland, i figure somewhere within a six hour drive for weekend trips. any help would be awesome. also any tips on de-scenting clothing and such would be great. thanks matt

gone hunting
08-13-2008, 12:01 AM
I started learning from my mistakes about 30 years ago. Sounds like you are about 29 years ago right now...... Where to start? Well for one thing, make sure you hang up and dry your wall tent, indoors for about a week after each use..... If you check the hunting reg's, you can see which areas have the most liberal seasons, thats where you are likely to find the most abundant critters.....Cotton is bad. Wool is good. Fleece works too. Sit and watch and listen,early morning and evening, move if you have to in between.....Aim small, miss small. So endeth the leason. Good luck, it will get better.

Steeleco
08-13-2008, 12:08 AM
There's lots to see 360* around Merritt, Just get out there and cover some ground. The one thing that took me the longest to learn was not to look for WHOLE animals. It takes some practice, but you'll see lots more if your only looking for bits of them, and movement of body parts. you'll see what I mean in time!! Good luck.

hunter1947
08-13-2008, 04:52 AM
Go up around cash creek for mule deer.

Head up around the kettle valley for elk ,whitetail and mule.

huntwriter
08-13-2008, 07:06 AM
Becoming a hunter is a learning process that takes many years just to understand the basics and never ends. Talk to experienced hunters, read books and learn as much about the habits and behavior of animals as you can. Also learn to read topographical maps and figure out how animals use the terrain, structure and cover to travel from one point to another.

It takes on average two to three years for a novice to make a kill if he is on his own without guidance of an experienced hunter. The best would be if you could hook up with a veteran hunter for a season or two and learn from him.

Use a quality pair of binoculars and use them often. A mistake many novice hunters make is to glance at the landscape and then move on. Get on an elevation that lets you observe, sit there for an hour or two and intently look over every inch with the binoculars. Don’t just look for whole animals. Look for parts of animals too, like the flick of an ear behind a tree stump or antlers behind a rock. If you see nothing quietly move on to the next spot using the available cover to stay undetected. Here is a tip for you: Never walk if you can drive but never drive if you can use your binoculars.

Keeping scent free. Keep your body clean, have a shower every day before you hunt. If that is not possible at least wash the hairy parts of your body (head, armpits and groin). Only wear the camouflage to hunt, not in camp, in town or while you travel. Buy a scent elimination spray available in any outdoor goods store. Before each hunt spray the outer layer liberally. Keep the wind in your face at all times.

Good luck.

Wild one
08-13-2008, 09:15 AM
A few tips

1)You maybe hunting with your buddies but you should not be walking around side by side One mans mistakes are bad enough( This is just my opinion others may not agree)
2)Get off the road you will be shocked how many more deer you will see
3)For WT deer find heavy trails and wait(just the way I like to hunt them not the only way)
4)Mule deer still hunt ridges and spot and stalk meadows(like natural meadows over clear cuts)
5)Get into the spots you want to hunt before first light
6)Early season look for feeding areas
7)late season find the does
8)you can hunt all day not just morning and afternoon
9)don't worry about trophy hunting just shoot a deer
10)Pre hunt scouting is well worth it

Add these 10 to above info and go hunting that is the only true way to learn

browningboy
08-13-2008, 09:23 AM
To start:
Deer- Lac La Hache area is very productive as is Rock Creek
Elk- Southern OK and or Koots
Moose - Boneparte area ( 3-30) and or Barrier to clearwater Region 3
Turkey- same as elk

Just do some cruising and you'll find them, if you go local like the Nahatlatch, I wouldn't bother until you get first frost otherwise they are way up still so mid oct is a good start for that area.

Orangethunder
08-13-2008, 09:52 AM
My advice would be Princeton for deer. Lots of chickens there too. Elk and moose are a possibility too if you know where to look. Study topo maps and google earth and whatever you can get your hands on. Get to know an area: look for water, mineral licks, game trails, bedding areas, etc etc etc. Also take the time to get to know others in the area. Chances are you can learn a thing or two from another camp or a passer by.

Spend twice as much on binoculars and half as much on the latest greatest realtree pattern super duper camo. Go with wool and or fleece in neutral colors or camo if you can swing it. I used to use a rubbermaid tub with the scent waifers to cover scent my clothes. Now I watch the wind (more) and tie tarsal glands to my gear for deer. I have had rutty bucks walk circles around me at 10 yards looking for a buck.

Its been said but I started learning 20 years ago and I haven't stopped. Invest the time and you'll reap the rewards.

Good luck!

Mr. Dean
08-13-2008, 10:37 AM
EXCELLENT material here. I just highlighted what I believe should be a focus.

[quote]the basics and never ends. Talk to experienced hunters, read books and learn as much about the habits and behavior of animals as you can. Also learn to read topographical maps and figure out how animals use the terraiBecoming a hunter is a learning process that takes many years just to understand n, structure and cover to travel from one point to another.

It pays to think like a fish when fishing....

It takes on average two to three years for a novice to make a kill if he is on his own without guidance of an experienced hunter. The best would be if you could hook up with a veteran hunter for a season or two and learn from him.

Use a quality pair of binoculars and use them often. A mistake many novice hunters make is to glance at the landscape and then move on. Get on an elevation that lets you observe, sit there for an hour or two and intently look over every inch with the binoculars. Don’t just look for whole animals. Look for parts of animals too, like the flick of an ear behind a tree stump or antlers behind a rock. If you see nothing quietly move on to the next spot using the available cover to stay undetected. Here is a tip for you: Never walk if you can drive but never drive if you can use your binoculars.

Yup!

Keeping scent free. Keep your body clean, have a shower every day before you hunt. If that is not possible at least wash the hairy parts of your body (head, armpits and groin). Only wear the camouflage to hunt, not in camp, in town or while you travel. Buy a scent elimination spray available in any outdoor goods store. Before each hunt spray the outer layer liberally. Keep the wind in your face at all times.

Good luck.

If ya can't, try another area and come back later. Wind reliably changes from morning to evening

[quote]
A few tips

1)You maybe hunting with your buddies but you should not be walking around side by side One mans mistakes are bad enough( This is just my opinion others may not agree)

One man makes the noise of a platoon
Two men make the noise of an entire army

2)Get off the road you will be shocked how many more deer you will see
Don't be afraid to get wet and dirty. Follow some game trails, they usualy lead to interesting stuff.

3)For WT deer find heavy trails and wait(just the way I like to hunt them not the only way)
4)Mule deer still hunt ridges and spot and stalk meadows(like natural meadows over clear cuts)
5)Get into the spots you want to hunt before first light
6)Early season look for feeding areas
7)late season find the does
8)you can hunt all day not just morning and afternoon
9)don't worry about trophy hunting just shoot a deer
10)Pre hunt scouting is well worth it
YES!

Add these 10 to above info and go hunting that is the only true way to learn
Just pay attention to what the forest is telling you. Animals are found in particular areas for reasons. Figure out what the reason is - Is it a bedding area or feed plot OR something else?

Most of all ENJOY what you're doing and NEVER stop learning. The rewards are plentiful even if hair doesn't hit the ground. Kills don't make the hunt successful - The hunt is what it's all about.

Also; Have something handy for Grouse. There's lots of areas that hold them and picking off a couple on the way back to camp is a bonus. :smile:

G'luck!

tikkat3
08-13-2008, 01:19 PM
watching this thread...good tips guys keep em coming!

wsm
08-13-2008, 05:22 PM
princeton , tulameen, goldbridge, logan lake,cache cr. thier all good, but more importantly is what you do when you get there. first, go for a drive note where your seing animals, check the road for track and other obvious sign. especially at the entrance and exit of cut blocks. when you find a heavy concentration of sign that would indicate a good place to start. then you need to get away from the road , plain and simple. the rest will come slowly.

quadrakid
08-13-2008, 05:24 PM
lots of great tips,mine would be to practice some shooting skills and make sure your rifles shooting straight. i love the sound of enthusiasm you new hunters have. enjoy your time in the woods,that,s what it is all about,the animals will come. and post pics of your first buck this year!

Squirrelnuts
08-13-2008, 06:21 PM
i love the sound of enthusiasm you new hunters have. enjoy your time in the woods,that,s what it is all about,

Damn right. Sure nice to see we're not the last generation of hunters. Biggest thing for me is the camaraderie; being out with like minded people and good friends and just getting away from work and all the crap that comes with it. Some of my best hunting trips have been "unsuccessful". If I don't get my deer I'm not going to starve.

As for tips? I'm probably not the guy to listen to :) Get out of the truck, walk slow, keep the wind in your face and pay attention. Put in your time and it'll pay off. Best of luck!

kastles
08-14-2008, 12:45 AM
[quote=Squirrelnuts;314232]Damn right. Sure nice to see we're not the last generation of hunters. Biggest thing for me is the camaraderie; being out with like minded people and good friends and just getting away from work and all the crap that comes with it. Some of my best hunting trips have been "unsuccessful". If I don't get my deer I'm not going to starve.

this i understand. bought all the gear last year and only saw a couple deer. one when walking to the truck(running as fast as it could the other way) and one on the way out with a flash light(guns were locked up we just wanted to see one) but had some sick time just getting out into the bush with friends. also thanks a bunch for all this info, gonna be up all night looking at maps now. :smile:

Mr. Dean
08-14-2008, 12:49 AM
[thanks a bunch for all this info, gonna be up all night looking at maps now. :smile:

This is good. A man is nothing without a good map and compass.

You're getting it!.:mrgreen:

hunter1947
08-14-2008, 03:08 AM
[quote=Squirrelnuts;314232]Damn right. Sure nice to see we're not the last generation of hunters. Biggest thing for me is the camaraderie; being out with like minded people and good friends and just getting away from work and all the crap that comes with it. Some of my best hunting trips have been "unsuccessful". If I don't get my deer I'm not going to starve.

this i understand. bought all the gear last year and only saw a couple deer. one when walking to the truck(running as fast as it could the other way) and one on the way out with a flash light(guns were locked up we just wanted to see one) but had some sick time just getting out into the bush with friends. also thanks a bunch for all this info, gonna be up all night looking at maps now. :smile:

Very true wording ,as you said ,its not about filling your tag every time you go out on a hunt ,its about the good time you have with friends etc that count.http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon6.gif http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif.

jessonml
08-17-2008, 08:53 PM
Im one of Kastles buddies and the wall tent is set up in my backyard right now Im so excited to use it.
It looks like we're headed to Princeton area for opening weekend. Another friend of ours is up there now and has seen a couple bucks.
Hunting is such an amazing time. We worked hard last year and between 6 of us their was one deer taken but we had fun every weekend. Especially -25 degree nights North of Clinton at the end of the season. The wall tent will be so much nicer than the tent we slept in that weekend hehe.
I'll be watching this thread.. I really appreciate all the help from the members of this site. Thanks.

pmj
08-17-2008, 09:24 PM
If you are looking at clear cuts make sure you do not go to the middle of it but start glassing it from the edge. Approach quietly and keep a low profile. If you see does check for spike bucks in the group. They will be the one rubbing the small bush. Sitting quietly in the bush at a clearing near a deer trail is a good way to spend time. Hard to sneak up on the smart bucks in the bush.

Blainer
08-17-2008, 09:25 PM
Not enough can be said about optics.
For the most part all these other gimmicks are just that,but good optics are you're best friend.
I believe it is not so much as where you hunt but when.Opening day is good,but take time to study the rut;this is when the big boys come out to play.
I noticed you are from Whiterock;I have a furniture store in the area,p.m. me and I will forward the name and adress so you can stop by for a chat.I know the Princeton area well and don't mind throwing some tips you're way.
Good luck
p.s. never hurts to invest in a backroads map book.

Blainer
08-17-2008, 09:27 PM
Im one of Kastles buddies and the wall tent is set up in my backyard right now Im so excited to use it.
It looks like we're headed to Princeton area for opening weekend. Another friend of ours is up there now and has seen a couple bucks.
Hunting is such an amazing time. We worked hard last year and between 6 of us their was one deer taken but we had fun every weekend. Especially -25 degree nights North of Clinton at the end of the season. The wall tent will be so much nicer than the tent we slept in that weekend hehe.
I'll be watching this thread.. I really appreciate all the help from the members of this site. Thanks.

note-It opens with 4 point season.
If you are under 19,then take advantage of the early season.

Phreddy
08-17-2008, 10:43 PM
The only advice I can suggest at this time is to know (not guess) where the other members of your party are and where they are going to be when you go into the bush, and be sure to keep your meeting time commitment to your friends. Nothing worse than planning to meet at noon, and someone doesn't show up until 2 or 3. Saves a lot of unnecessary worrying.
If walking go verrrrrrrry slowly, stopping about every 3 or 4 steps to take a real good look around if there's lots of sign.
Other than that, have a good safe hunt.

kastles
08-19-2008, 10:09 PM
as i mentioned before i did a bit of searching in backroads mapbooks and my topo for gps. but i dont really know the layout of the land that would be good. this is the only scouting i'm going to get for this season so have to play it by what the maps show. am i looking for areas with marsh? or should i look for more moutainous peaks and valleys? and a little off topic, how far away from your hunting area do you camp? thanks again kastles

Steeleco
08-20-2008, 12:41 AM
Different animals live in different locations. I can tell you for certain, the the deer in the hills of Harrison are much bigger than the deer everyone sees in the valley or along the side of the road. But they are tough to get too. Pick a spot that looks good to you on a map and work the legs. The only way you'll know for sure is to get out there and look.

As far as hunting from camp, this spring while bear hunting, I watched a nice 3x3 mulie walk 50yds behind my tent. We were in a meadow so shooting wasn't an issue, had it been Oct 1, he'd have seen his last sunrise!!!

hunter1947
08-20-2008, 07:12 AM
The only way to find new areas for any game animal is you got to go into the area and scout or hunt it ,then you know what is there ,if no good go try somewhere else till you find what your looking for.