PDA

View Full Version : Chetwynd Moose Hunt

JoelF
08-12-2008, 12:42 PM
Heading out on Friday for my first Moose hunt. Shooting a Tikka T3 Stainless Hunter 30-06. and excited as heck.....Hope my old 4runner makes it all the way from Vancouver....Will post after the hunt!

aspo
08-12-2008, 12:46 PM
good luck, im heading up there for moose later in the season. Hope you bag a big one.

Wildman
08-12-2008, 01:53 PM
Good luck! I know six others heading up there this week too. I hear it's a real gong show with zillions of hunters.

2slow
08-12-2008, 01:57 PM
Good luck! I know six others heading up there this week too. I hear it's a real gong show with zillions of hunters.

I would rather join the gong show then be stuck in my office like I am

Good luck on your hunt

talver
08-12-2008, 04:36 PM
Its going to be a gong show starting to see the rigs from the Island drive by today at work . Have fun good luck

browningboy
08-12-2008, 05:05 PM
Best of luck man, I would rather be part of the gong show than be sitting in this office!;-)

BCRiverBoater
08-12-2008, 05:07 PM
I am thinking the moose may have a little less pressure than in recent years because some many people sound like they are coming up for the open elk season instead.

Archive
08-12-2008, 06:20 PM
Get a haircut Fr**ski, and the sideburns too.

Are you only going to keep the leg?

Wolfman
08-12-2008, 06:25 PM
When I lived in Dawson Creek I knew guys from there who used to hunt for cougars in Chetwynd......I don't think they were talking abou the feline kind of cougar though for some reason ;-)

Wolfman

browningboy
08-12-2008, 08:24 PM
When I lived in Dawson Creek I knew guys from there who used to hunt for cougars in Chetwynd......I don't think they were talking abou the feline kind of cougar though for some reason ;-)

Wolfman

Funny, we used to say about the same about Dawson, I have some fond memories about Smitties back in the day:cool: Man being single and going on road trips (hunting) used to be one of the best times, hunt all day, party and hunt all night.........memories,memories....:lol:

Jonny outdoors
08-12-2008, 08:42 PM
We just finished packing and off tomorrow,and knock on wood we have been lucky the last couple of years lots of moose and very few hunters but we are definitly of the beaten path by a a little ways.Good luck to all and hopfuly I will be posting a photo of some one in our camps moose or elk.
:lol:

quadrakid
08-12-2008, 08:43 PM
good luck on your first moose hunt.hope you connect.

lineofsight
08-12-2008, 09:57 PM
A moose, with a .30-06... will that work?

Aw come on, someone had to ask.

Am very very envious.

hunter1947
08-13-2008, 05:09 AM
Good luck on your moose hunt JF ,you should have no problems coming back with one.

Little Hawk
08-13-2008, 06:45 AM
Howdy,

First and only hunting trip to Chetwynd was in 97'; arguably the worst trip of my life.

Why?

- had a bad cold (really bad) that kicked into high gear the night we arrived in George to take a hotel for the night. Coughed all night and NON-STOP for the next seven-days! I vowed to make something of the trip regardless.

- after setting up camp at the bridge on the Moberly just north of Chetwynd I decided to take a hike up river the first morning to do some scouting. Buddie's took off in my truck. A mile or so up river I was glassing a cow moose from a bluff above the river when 'Bullwinkle' ambles out beside her and starts sniffing her nanny. Could've parked a small boat on his rack. I passed on him, certain that only the immature guys were open. Man... did I get an earful when I got back to camp. Felt like an idiot. Cough-cough!

- climbed on my old Honda 4-stroker bike and headed out that afternoon to do some scouting... cough-cough! Few clicks out of camp I wipes-out and the gearcase squashes my foot as I fall over. My foot swells up like a football - cough-cough! That gets me outa' makin' dinner that night as I sit by the fire with my foot up and a big bottle of whiskey screwed into my head. Cough-cough!

I spent the next four or five days with a - cough-cough - walkin' stick hobboing around the bush hacking my brains out... cough-cough!

Real Davey Crockett I was.

sneg
08-13-2008, 07:59 AM
Good luck Jonny on your moose trip

JoelF
08-13-2008, 08:49 AM
Thanks everybody. I am shooting 180G noszler partition bullets that I got from Double Tap in the states. Sure hope we get one. We are way off the beaten path and my friend I am going with has got a beauty out of there 3 years in a row. And yes. it is better than being in my office! I sure hope it isnt a gong show though. Oh, and thanks for the cougar tips.....

08-13-2008, 08:51 AM
cougars, the only things that can be hunted between dusk and dawn, and have no closed season or bag limit.

Tarp Man
08-13-2008, 09:05 AM
Watch out for the heat and hornets... Once they find your meat, SWARMS arrive. Also get it to the butcher quick cause they fill up fast in August. Have fun, and I am wishing I was heading up there. Crowds, flies, hornets, dust, heat... it is all worth it. I would take that "gong show" over the gong show any day.

BCRiverBoater
08-13-2008, 09:11 AM
Nothing like gutting an animal with a belly full of hornets. I do not miss the multiple stings while cleaning out an animal. We have had problems with them in the middle to end of September in elk season if it gets warmer during the day. I am starting to like the late season hunts more and more. Seeing lots of animals, seeing almost no hunters or bugs. Also the sleeping bag never feels better than on a cold crisp -5 night.

mark
08-13-2008, 07:13 PM
Nothing like gutting an animal with a belly full of hornets. I do not miss the multiple stings while cleaning out an animal. We have had problems with them in the middle to end of September in elk season if it gets warmer during the day. I am starting to like the late season hunts more and more. Seeing lots of animals, seeing almost no hunters or bugs. Also the sleeping bag never feels better than on a cold crisp -5 night.

X2 I love that country but not the early hunting for all the above reasons, The later the better IMO

hunter1947
08-14-2008, 03:32 AM
The one thing you have got going with you in the early hunt is that you can shoot any bull moose with antlers ,when I was there a few years back it was worth putting up with the bugs etc in order to just know you could drop and bull with antlers.

Just make sure you take a face net and bug spray http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif.

TIKA 300
08-14-2008, 10:03 PM
Good luck on your moose hunt

X2 I love that country but not the early hunting for all the above reasons, The later the better IMO

X3,I work outside and cant stand the heat any more(soft in my OLD age lol) Heat is for cooking things not working in TK

Swamp Donkey
08-16-2008, 07:18 AM
I wish you the very best of luck on your hunt. It's HOT and DRY up here, although we did get a bit of rain last night. There's some darn good country to hunt around Chetwyn, and if you know the area a bit, there is water and good feed up high where not too many people hunt. There use to be a fairly big elk herd that ran the Hassler Flats area but you need owners permission in there.