PDA

View Full Version : Moose trip,Coolers in Smithers,6-09

sneg
08-12-2008, 07:39 AM
Less than month countdown to my Smithers LEH bull moose trip.All gear checked up and ready. Just wondering what weather will be like in middle of September around Smithers/Houston area ? From statistics it typically rains a lot. Can anybody advise if there any coolers in area where I could drop off meat to hang ? It is large area ,but also 90 LEH are issued. Probably gonna be little crowded. I hear that moose numbers down in last couple of years.Even LEH down from over 200 to 90. Did anybody attempted LEH last year and could connect to his moose. Any tips / share experience appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Sneg

Machinist
08-12-2008, 07:50 AM
I hunt in area 6-06 wich is fairly close and will be up there on Sept 13 to the 24Th on Leh Moose the weather can be mixed at that time of year up there frost to rain etc, hard to predict, I have hunted 6-09 several times as well at the same time of year , never had to use a cooler just hung the quarters in camp and never had a problem ,
** Good Luck on your Leh hunt ** :redface:

sneg
08-12-2008, 07:53 AM
Thanks Machinist and good luck to you.

Orangethunder
08-12-2008, 08:59 AM
I have hunted the any bull gong show a couple of times in October but never September. There are a couple of coolers to hang meat at in Houston and I'm sure a couple in Smithers too. Both times I came through in September it was nice, sunny and about 15 degrees warmer than Dease.

Good luck.

twanger
08-12-2008, 09:10 AM
Gerry Hamming, Hammings Butcher Shop Lk. Kathlyn Rd. (250-847-3361)
cross from Airport, if he has room :-o.

sneg
08-12-2008, 10:21 AM
Twanger, thanks for contact.

Orangethunder,hear what you are saying. Anticipate it can be very busy, specially during GOS. Also weather seems sometimes unpredictable cold one day and hot on next day. i m thinking to get some dry ice just in case.idea is to put some tarp over meat pole and drop some dry ice inside on warm day. not sure if it is gonna really work.

Orangethunder
08-12-2008, 11:11 AM
Twanger, thanks for contact.

Orangethunder,hear what you are saying. Anticipate it can be very busy, specially during GOS. Also weather seems sometimes unpredictable cold one day and hot on next day. i m thinking to get some dry ice just in case.idea is to put some tarp over meat pole and drop some dry ice inside on warm day. not sure if it is gonna really work.

Might just be worth the trip to the cooler. I wouldn't want to make that drive to have one spoil or to feed a bear. Generator and a freezer works too if you can swing it.

sneg
08-12-2008, 11:33 AM
Yeah,probably you right.We have two mooses to harvest for our group. Plus after that plan to attempt 6-07 for LEH grizz (two ). Guess will be busy and ain't worth it to spend time around camp worrying about meat. only hope that either weather will be cool or some space available in cooler. 6-07 Grizz is another my worry , I do not know that area well,so will be lot of scouting involved.

Machinist
08-12-2008, 11:56 AM
This Photo is from 6-06 last year Sept16, So goes to show you never know about the weather.
We have 4 Leh moose tag's for this Sept , Can hardly wait

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk163/Machinist_2008/4042-400x400.jpg

sneg
08-12-2008, 01:07 PM
looks like good weather you had last year.hope we will have the same. you have good set up,no worries if it gets really cold.same here ,count every day.

Aaron Blom
08-12-2008, 08:13 PM
Try any spurs leading off the Morice Main. Up towards
Morice lake is good as well, we normally get a few each year during the gong show if we didn't get leh. Has been LOTS of logging up there so just keep looking, just a thought wildlife tree patches work well. Hunt wet ground that time of year and they should come pretty good to calling good luck.

Avalanche123
08-12-2008, 08:56 PM
Too bad Trigger doesn't pipe up. This is his stomping grounds!

trigger
08-12-2008, 10:56 PM
haha thanks steve,

last time i heard all the moose packed up and headed to dease country.

no,, it should be good. You could encounter some good weather. be prepared for anything. sun rain or snow. it will cool off enough in the evenings for hanging meat. it should get a good crust. keep it in the shade and have a tarp and you will be A ok.

as for where... well if you head up the morice river road and get way back into the sticks you should be away from the majority of the leh hunters. Some good roads would be out the morice west road. the shae, the crystal creek. these two roads run parralel with a chain of meadows called the goznel meadows. also the chisolm will take you into some excellent moose country. any good spurs you see drive thenm. find clear cuts that are about three years old.

walk these spurs and into cut block first light and call at first light and at last light. belive me the bulls will wait till last light. literally minutes before legal shooting time.

put in your dues and it will pay off.

good luck and have fun.

oh as to butchers or coolers. im not really sure

smithers has the sausage factory or hamming and houston well im not to sure as i have always just hung it in a well ventilated shed or garage.

sneg
08-13-2008, 07:50 AM
Thanks,gents. Really helpfull. Weatherwise should be fine,but you never know,could be some odd warm spell as well.Planning to hunt Morice main . I was there in summer time,never in September.Nice hunting grounds. Have seen some deer does,not sure about bucks this time of the year. probably they will be hiding somewhere on high grounds.

hunter1947
08-13-2008, 08:03 AM
Thanks,gents. Really helpfull. Weatherwise should be fine,but you never know,could be some odd warm spell as well.Planning to hunt Morice main . I was there in summer time,never in September.Nice hunting grounds. Have seen some deer does,not sure about bucks this time of the year. probably they will be hiding somewhere on high grounds.

Your going into a good area for moose ,we were there last year and got a good one near there.
Good luck ,lots of pic to follow latter ,right http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon12.gif.

sneg
08-13-2008, 09:41 AM
Thanks hunter1947. will keep camera ready.actually trying to come up wit some kind of bracket to attach camera to rifle.need to test it first.i m fascinated by clips of scouting and stalking.