PDA

View Full Version : Nervous to say the least

Shootingblanks
08-12-2008, 05:13 AM
Hi folks,

Now before I ask my question, I first wanted to say that I'm new to this site and even newer to Bow Hunting. I haven't as of yet purchased a bow/x-bow and here lays the dilemma. I've rifled hunted for years and have been interested in archery hunting. I'm a complete novice other than the occasional trip to Royal City Archers. I'm not 100% confident in that killing power of arrows/bolts over bullets and I am extremely concerned and fearful of an animal "getting away" on me (regardless of the weapon).

My thoughts have been leading me towards getting a crossbow over a compound bow due to a couple of reasons: 1.) It's a style of weapon I am familiar with. 2.) Provides a greater level of accuracy with a lesser degree of (do I dare say it) skill. 3.) Increases my confidence in taking an animal with a bow type weapon and subsequently leads me into compound bows.

-Does that make logical sense, or am I completely out to lunch (won't be the first time) lol.
-And in regards to arrow/bolt placement; is placement restricted to "behind the shoulder" only or is it efficient to shoot for other vital areas of the animal. And in the case of a animal approaching "head-on" would you target the same as if you were using a rifle? Or wait for the broadside only?

Thank you in advance or your thoughts and opinions :)

calvin L
08-12-2008, 05:28 AM
Fist off welcome to the sight . Second there are no dumb questions. I can for tell you for sure that a bow / cross bow will kill every animal you would want to hunt in North America . It doesn't matter if it is a compound or a cross bow you have.You need to do your part . As for one beeing easier to use I don't think so you still have to judge the yardage . I have tried both and I always find my self using a compound .(alot less wieght to pack around ) Yes there is a bit more to shooting compound but it is not that much . You still have to shoot it on the off season .A broad side shot is always the best but a 1/4 away is great also . Head shots and head on shot are not good to take Just not enough vitals there to hit . Talk to lots of archers go to the shops pick ther brains Hit a 3d shoot I have never found anyone that would not help a newbe out . good luck on your hunt for more info

calvin L

Jetboater
08-12-2008, 06:24 AM
take your time, Archery is additive as it can get, praactice for a full year...your confidence will grow quickly... draw a set yardage limit and stick to it...dont expect to kill an animal in your first few years of bowhunting, but do expect to have a crap load of fun...
dont buy a POS bow to start... buy a decent bow so it takes the crappy equipment out of the equation

huntwriter
08-12-2008, 06:59 AM
Don’t worry about the killing power of compound and crossbow. The five big African game animals, including the elephant, have been taken with either one of these bows.

Go with the bow you feel most confident, be that a crossbow or compound, the performance is equal. Handle as many different models in the shop as you can so you get a feel for it.

The thing with bowhunting is that you need to develop a completely different set of skills, both for shooting and hunting tactics. Learn to shoot the bow well beginning at 10 yards, when you confident with that move to 20 and so on. The distance where you can’t get consistently 10 out of 10 arrows into the 4 inch circle is to far for hunting. My maximum confident distance is at 25 yards with the compound and 30 with the crossbow. Most hunting shots are under 20 yards. I like the critters close.:wink:

While you’re practicing shooting the bow take your time, it is better to shoot only a few arrows at a time and then rest a little.

The only place you should shoot an animal with a bow is in the chest (lung and heart).

Before you can think of hunting animals with a bow you have to learn how to get close to your quarry, close as to within 20 to 30 yards. This is for many often more difficult then learning to shoot the bow.

Learn the habits and behavior of the animal you pursue. Learn how they use the terrain, structure and cover to travel from A to B. This knowledge lets you choose stand locations that brings (bottleneck) animals close by you as they travel.
I have written a series of articles on scouting for bowhunting here (http://whitetaildeerpassion.blogspot.com/).

Be prepared to spend time at least two years to becomne a bowhunter, even with a crossbow.

Good luck and above all have fun.

P.S. When I refer to "bow" I include crossbows.

Elkhound
08-12-2008, 08:27 AM
good luck and welcome.

Check out all the posts you can on archery topics here. Wide view on the subject. Just like rifles. Know the limitations of your equipment and yourself.

And post pics.:cool:

Avalanche123
08-12-2008, 08:35 AM
Welcome to the site SB.

I can't offer much advise as I am not familiar with either the xbow or the compound bow. I shoot traditional, recurve.

One thing no one has mentioned yet is the ability to track your animal once they are shot. Unlike a gun, the animal doesn't usually drop in its tracks so unfortunately there is a chance you won't find it. Learn how to blood trail, be patient, and be very thorough.

Hunting took on a completely different meaning for me once I hung my rifle up. Its still about locating the animal but now its really all about the stalk and gettting as close as you can. If you can't get close enough, there is no shot period.

So stay patient, learn the sport, participate in 3-D shoots if you can, and when you feel you are ready, go hunting. Others above have offered good advice on when that is.

Welcome to bowhunting.

brotherjack
08-12-2008, 09:18 AM
If you stick a broadhead tipped arrow through both lungs of an animal, it is as good as dead. It may run 50 or 100 yards, but really, that's not so far. I've seen rifle-shot animals run that far too. Blood trailing a well-hit animal isn't that hard either (though it can be tedious and time consuming - just be patient and go slow) - once you stick the razor blades through them, they will be leaving blood everywhere after the first 20 yards or so. The only big concern is a poorly hit animal - that can be a nightmare. You avoid poorly hit animals by getting real close before you take the shot, being very careful about the shots you take, and lots of practice before you take your first animal.

You have a less margin for error in shot placement than you do with a rifle - an arrow needs to solidly hit both lungs or the heart. This isn't that hard mind you, but you do have to wait till the animal gets turned broadside to you so the arrow will pass through both lungs.

As to equipment type - that's really a personal choice. Don't let any of the nay-sayers on either side of the fence get to you - pick up what YOU feel good about. Neither a crossbow nor a compound bow setup with a peep sight and a string release are particularly difficult to get proficient with (despite what some will tell you). Just make SURE you practice shots you would be facing when hunting and not just on a target range. Not a lot of hunting shots get taken on flat ground with your feet set on an angle to the target with no adrenalin in your system while you're breathing normally etc. When you're taking a shot while hunting, you're usually fighting not to breathe like a freight train, shooting on a steep angle (treestand), or in an awkward position while you lean around that tree you're hiding behind, or from your knees as you peer over a stump you've been using for cover, etc, etc., all the while you are in a battle for control with the adrenalin which will by now have totally saturated every fiber of your body. Ahh.... good stuff, for sure!!! :)

Anyway - all of that is probably just a long winded way of saying; don't be scared, grab you a bow of whatever flavor floats your boat, put in some serious practice time, read all you can about shot placement and hunting techniques for bow-hunters, and then and get out and hunt with it.

Mr. Dean
08-12-2008, 10:07 AM
Once upon a time I wanted something for yote patrol around my place and my wife bought me a x-bow for a b-day present.

I kept it for a number of years then handed it over to my buds young son. In the time I owned it, I shot it LOTS and got to be pretty good at hitting various targets @ various ranges. Never did I get a yote out of it though. From the time one was spotted lurking around to the time of getting it "shoot ready", saved each and every.

I basically found it to be cumbersome and a tad on the heavy side. I couldn't see me using it for anything but stand hunting (not my tea), so when that young lad wanted, I handed.

This was nearly 10 years ago. I've thought of buying a compound on a few occasions but haven't - There always seems to be another rifle/gun purchase in the way.

You make your own mind up; I'm just passing on that *I* thought that that purchase was a waste of $$$ and that IF it happened to be a compound instead, I'd likely still have it.

Welcome to our show.... Wheres the Joke/humour in this post?
New members need to supply something that cracks a chuckle... :smile:

08-12-2008, 11:37 AM
I was in your position recently. I wanted to get into bowhunting, but was worried that I would not have the time to become proficient with a compound, so I bought a crossbow (Exomax...awesome). Anyway, a few months later I realized I really liked archery, and decided to get a compound as well. I love it. With all the technology available today, such as peeps, pins, releases, generous let-off, it really is a pleasure to shoot, and quite easy to shoot well. I have been practicing about 3 hours/week for the last 3 months, and can consitently group 4 inches at 40 yards. I actually shoot better with my compound than with the crossbow off-hand, and the compound is much more fun to practice with. Anyway, I now understand why so many are addicted to archery.

Go with what feels right to you, but don't be intimidated by compounds.

Bow Walker
08-12-2008, 06:03 PM
Hi folks,

Now before I ask my question, I first wanted to say that I'm new to this site and even newer to Bow Hunting. I haven't as of yet purchased a bow/x-bow and here lays the dilemma. I've rifled hunted for years and have been interested in archery hunting. I'm a complete novice other than the occasional trip to Royal City Archers. I'm not 100% confident in that killing power of arrows/bolts over bullets and I am extremely concerned and fearful of an animal "getting away" on me (regardless of the weapon).

My thoughts have been leading me towards getting a crossbow over a compound bow due to a couple of reasons: 1.) It's a style of weapon I am familiar with. 2.) Provides a greater level of accuracy with a lesser degree of (do I dare say it) skill. 3.) Increases my confidence in taking an animal with a bow type weapon and subsequently leads me into compound bows.

-Does that make logical sense, or am I completely out to lunch (won't be the first time) lol.
-And in regards to arrow/bolt placement; is placement restricted to "behind the shoulder" only or is it efficient to shoot for other vital areas of the animal. And in the case of a animal approaching "head-on" would you target the same as if you were using a rifle? Or wait for the broadside only?

Thank you in advance or your thoughts and opinions :)

Welcome to the site....Welcome to Archery too!

Crossbows are - or at least seem to be - the way that many archers are entering the sport. Should you go the route of "325" and look to move to compounds after a few months, or a year, at least you know that you'll be able to sell the crossbow for a good price.

I got into this thing called "archery" about 10 years ago now. I stopped gun-hunting 5 years ago and have not regretted it yet.

Handle lots of equipment - go with what feels comfortable - practise lots - and above all, have fun!