PDA

View Full Version : It's only a .22

stickbow
08-11-2008, 09:08 PM
Check this out http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=503007&nt=2&page=1

stickbow
08-11-2008, 09:13 PM
Had to show this to a buddy who,I thought didn't have enough respect for the "little .22".I think he's got some now.

The 'Hummer'
08-11-2008, 09:16 PM
Definately interesting. Thanks for the info.

MidnightRun
08-11-2008, 09:26 PM
Great link, Thanks. And here I thought I was doing alright shooting out to 150 yds with the 22LR.

kloosterboer
08-11-2008, 09:30 PM
WOW thats pretty amazing!!!

riflebuilder
08-11-2008, 09:31 PM
alot of calibers are underestimated, I actulay saw a whitetail deer killed with a BB gun the pump up kind. No matter what rifle you use treat it with respect.

hunter1947
08-12-2008, 04:18 AM
Goes to show us what a 22LR is really made from.

Very interesting link ,thanks for posting .

Wild one
08-12-2008, 08:09 AM
I ran into some guys in Alberta that shoot gofers at 200-300yrds all the time with 22lr. The mistake I made was telling the one guy he was full of it and bet him $50. At least the guy bought me a beer with the money he one from me.

Elkhound
08-12-2008, 08:24 AM
I ran into some guys in Alberta that shoot gofers at 200-300yrds all the time with 22lr. The mistake I made was telling the one guy he was full of it and bet him $50. At least the guy bought me a beer with the money he one from me.

LOL.....in the right hands eh? Some guys have the knowledge, skill, and practise to preform amazing stuff.

Great post.

Mr. Dean
08-12-2008, 09:15 AM
Hitting that buzzard @ 250/300 in those conditions IS impressive. I didn't see a total round count, I wonder how much went down the tube. It would take me more than a few to get dialed in on a perfect day. Mind you, I did 'skim' the article...

Too bad the turk wasn't set up on a mechanical gizmo, running broadside to the shooter, at a bunny rabbits pace - Thad be cool. :cool:

But the *test* wasn't on marksmanship, it was for lethality. Clearly a lethal round at them distances. I concluded that these results were enlightening and not necessarily the shooters/testers skills.

We should do that one day; a bunch of us take our grouse guns dialed in for 50m and see what it takes to hit a barn @ 300

We'll be the talk of the shooting and hunting community - Especially when the results get out. :smile:

brotherjack
08-12-2008, 09:30 AM
We should do that one day; a bunch of us take our grouse guns dialed in for 50m and see what it takes to hit a barn @ 300

It's not that hard, really. All you need is a ballistics chart for your 22 ammo of choice, and the patience to count a whole bunch of clicks on your scope while you're setting up. I use my 22 to bang the 255 yard steel plate at my range all the time. It is awesome off-hand target practice (though I did have to buy a set of amplified hearing prtectors so I could hear them hit at that range - the amplified hearing protectors cancel out loud noises, but amplify soft ones).

Standard velocity stuff does seem to work better for long range work though - I'm told it has something to do with the high/hyper velocity rounds being buffeted in-flight by trans-sonic shock while crossing through the sound barrier as they are slowing down to sub-sonic after their super-sonic launch.

Mr. Dean
08-12-2008, 09:39 AM
Standard velocity stuff does seem to work better for long range work though - I'm told it has something to do with the high/hyper velocity rounds being buffeted in-flight by trans-sonic shock while crossing through the sound barrier as they are slowing down to sub-sonic after their super-sonic launch.

Brotherjack; You could have been an auctioneer.....

One thing I've learned is that most ANY shot with a rifle is do-able. It's just a matter of will to make it.
I'd have to upgrade though. I don't think the cheap Tasco is up too the challenge.

2slow
08-12-2008, 10:48 AM
I have always had a respect for the .22 as I had an uncle killed with one when he was a teenager. But I did not believe it was any good out past 100yds.

That article will sure make me think a little more about where I am shooting it because, being completely honest with myself, I realize I don't worry as much about where the bullet is going after the shot as I do with my larger caliber guns.

stickbow
08-12-2008, 12:37 PM
That article will sure make me think a little more about where I am shooting it because being completely honest with myself I realize I don't worry as much about where the bullet is going after the shot as I do with my larger caliber guns.
That's probably what a few others are thinking too,