PDA

View Full Version : Exit 315-off-the-Coquihalla-above Merritt

Jelvis
08-10-2008, 09:34 PM
deleted ----------------------

mooseless
08-10-2008, 10:18 PM
I did not see any animals there last weekend but just a few hours ago I saw 5 white tail, a bull moose and a bear just north of there. Lots of logging in the area.

Steeleco
08-10-2008, 11:08 PM
I'm no expert but I figure there's going to be a population explosion in most of these pine beetle cut areas. I know the spot we took our spring bears was only cut a year or so back. Now it's thick with long green grasses. The critters were everywhere. Hopefully the kid will connect on his first Bambi in just under 4 weeks!

behemoth
08-11-2008, 09:23 AM
I live near this area and stopped hunting it because it is too overcrowded. Every road hunting yahoo within 300 kilometres spends their weekends cruising those roads. I was following a ridge a couple years back and had 3 seperate trucks stop and scope me out through rifles out of truck doors. No thanks!!

Red Foreman
08-11-2008, 09:36 AM
I was talking with a logger freind of mine and he was telling me they've started on the Mab side behind Lac la Juene.They're logging all the way from there to the Merritt end,there won't be a tree in sight.The same goes with Chattaway 3-18,massive logging going on up there right now.I agree with Behemoth on the number of hunters as well.

Jelvis
08-11-2008, 10:00 AM
-----------------------------

johnk
08-11-2008, 10:12 AM
Exit 315 when you take the exit you can go for miles tons of area. Towards Nicola Lake on one side and over by mountain ridges that drop in elevation right into the flats on either side of the Coquihalla. Close to Merritt, Logan Lake and Kamloops. Country has to be seen to appreciate it's potential. Check it out once, easy access from the lower mainland all the way to the spot. Mule deer and moose. Jel-good huntin to ya!

Mild correction Jellyfish! 3-19A and 3-19B. On the east side is the B side and once you go past Surrey Lake Resort the moose pop out everywhere. We got twin immatures there Sept 21/07. PM me Jelvis for more details unless you know where the burnout area of 10 years ago is.

Jelvis
08-11-2008, 10:19 AM
-----------------------

Red Foreman
08-11-2008, 03:14 PM
[quote=Jelvis;313049]Exit 315 when you take the exit you can go for miles tons of area. Towards Nicola Lake on one side and over by mountain ridges that drop in elevation right into the flats on either side of the Coquihalla.

I live in Merritt Jel and this area on the mab side is ALL slated for logging.A lot of it is already gone,you just can't see the extent from the hwy.The helmer side is not as bad yet but there has been some heavy logging the last couple of years in that area as well.Cutblocks that run for 15km.

From what I've heard from my logger friend all the big local mills are moving into or already are there to cut from Lac La Juene back to Merritt.This is a pretty huge area as you know.

3kills
08-11-2008, 05:00 PM
i live in merritt and my family has hunted the mab lake are for close to 40 years...they use to pound two wheel drive trucks up the back roads that werent much more then goat trails then...there was no coke when they started hunting that area...now we have moved on hunting different areas as of the over population of people and all the loggin...my one uncle wont go in there at all cuz mab lake area use to be a spot that he loved so much cuz it was so beautiful and now its pretty much one big clear cut....

johnk can u still get into the burn from the frog main?? i know it use to be cut out at about the 9.5 k mark and then they opened it back up is it still open??? crazy for moose in that area for sure...
p.s johnk u from merrritt cuz i think i know who u are??\!!

Jelvis
08-11-2008, 08:16 PM
---------------------------

bsa30-06
08-11-2008, 09:50 PM
hunted 3-19 briefly a few years ago, definately some good moose sign in that area.Last time i was up there they were holding a off road car race in there, place was a zoo.

3kills
08-11-2008, 10:15 PM
ya me and my uncle were in there hunting one day and when we come out there was ribbon on all the roads they were gettin ready to start a rally we had both forgot about it then one guy told us we werent allowed to be in there and we told him we were there before the sun even came up and that we would be out before the race started...

Ltbullken
08-12-2008, 06:01 AM
I live near this area and stopped hunting it because it is too overcrowded. Every road hunting yahoo within 300 kilometres spends their weekends cruising those roads. I was following a ridge a couple years back and had 3 seperate trucks stop and scope me out through rifles out of truck doors. No thanks!!

Backpacking into alpine this fall.... me thinks no problem with road hunters there!!

Jelvis
08-15-2008, 12:02 PM
------------------------

cwocarsten
08-16-2008, 02:16 AM
I have a cabin at Hatheume Lake and it is now heavily logged. Have not hunted there much yet but hope to. And yes on weekends its a freeway on the logging roads.

Jelvis
08-18-2008, 06:24 PM
-----------------------

Jelvis
10-20-2008, 06:54 PM
--------------------

Jelvis
06-07-2009, 11:52 AM
---------------------

Rob
06-07-2009, 12:51 PM
Jelvis you sound keen on this area. Best be practicing some long range shooting and bring some good glass because there is alot of space between the trees up there. Like others in B.C who are being affected by the pine beetle, Im searching out new areas to hunt.

Jelvis
06-07-2009, 01:01 PM
------------------

Rob
06-07-2009, 01:08 PM
It is nice country Jelvis and Im not discouraging you from hunting their, Im just saying it does see a lot of pressure and its been logged to poop. I know where you are talking and if you stay on the gas line their are some nice bears to be had. And yes all the mulies are gone from that area:)