PDA

View Full Version : Weekend Highcountry Scoutin' Pics

dana
08-10-2008, 07:46 PM
Had a great time this weekend scoutin the highcountry with my 12 year old son. Here are some pics. I hope you enjoy.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/BCBOY/Aug9002a.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/BCBOY/Aug9067a.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/BCBOY/Aug9065a.jpg

dana
08-10-2008, 07:54 PM
Found this group of 12 goats. A mix of nannys, kids and a some billys. I took this pic with my camera from over a km and a half away. Cropped it but that is about it. Thought it turned out pretty good considering how far away they were.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/BCBOY/Aug9041a.jpg

Here are some pics taken through the spotter.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/BCBOY/Aug9042a.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/BCBOY/Aug9046a.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/BCBOY/Aug9038a.jpg

dana
08-10-2008, 08:01 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/BCBOY/Aug9089a.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/BCBOY/Aug9082a.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/BCBOY/Aug9104a.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/BCBOY/Aug9101a.jpg

frenchbar
08-10-2008, 08:05 PM
See much besides the goats for game Steve ? My wife and i camped out at 6100 ft and the weather was down right ugly ,hail ,snow rain you name it .not much of an opportunity to see game,when your hunkered in at camp.hope ya had a good time ,least ya seen some animals .

Brambles
08-10-2008, 08:08 PM
Good to see you guys found some Goats, I"m assuming it was scouting for your Son's Goat Draw?

Any deer, in this country if you see goats you can sometimes find bucks too, and good ones to boot.

dana
08-10-2008, 08:14 PM
We saw a beautiful grizz that looked like a younger sow, but she was too quick on the draw for us to get some pics of her. One of the prettiest grizz I've ever seen.

Here is a whitey we encountered on the drive home.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/BCBOY/Aug9128a.jpg

Saw this guy laying on the highway. Good to see this yearling won't be growing into a caribou eater. Too bad it didn't have a collar. ;) This is the 3rd wolf highway kill I've seen this summer. You would think that maybe that is a hint they are just a tad overpopulated. :roll:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/BCBOY/Aug9134a.jpg

ruttinbuck
08-10-2008, 08:18 PM
Some ugly storms huh!!
Could'nt make its mind up whether or not to piss down or sun shine here or in the Lumby country I was in yesterday.Can't hold a candle to the Blue Liver country though for spotty heavy showers.
Glad you had a good time.RB

dana
08-10-2008, 08:21 PM
Good to see you guys found some Goats, I"m assuming it was scouting for your Son's Goat Draw?

Any deer, in this country if you see goats you can sometimes find bucks too, and good ones to boot.

Yes we were scoutin' primarily for my son's goat draw.

dana
08-10-2008, 08:32 PM
Some ugly storms huh!!
Could'nt make its mind up whether or not to piss down or sun shine here or in the Lumby country I was in yesterday.Can't hold a candle to the Blue Liver country though for spotty heavy showers.
Glad you had a good time.RB

The weather was on and off all weekend. We didn't let it dampen our spirits. Biggest piss off of the weekend though was a group of quaders that pushed us out of our camp last night. I've never met such disrespectable pieces of $hit in my entire life. They came rippin up a very sensitive meadow complex, tearin' and gunning with mud sprayin. Pulled right up to our camp at 8:30 last night and decared they were going to camp there too. With generators and coolers strapped to the quads, I could tell that they were a bunch of partiers. They wouldn't back down when I told them I was camping with my son and lookin for some quiet time. Tons of room out there, why camp right beside me? They decided they owned the place and with 3 guys to 1, I didn't want to have a fight, so we grabbed our gear and bailed. As I left I told them that I hoped the grizz that was hangin around camp would eat their quad seats, as I know first hand how grizz love to eat that foam. Pieces of shit like that give me a really bad taste in my mouth with it comes to quaders. Those guys seriously needed a highcountry tuneup, 30 cal through the piston.:twisted:

5 spike
08-10-2008, 08:35 PM
once,s again great pic,s dana. thanks

MattB
08-10-2008, 08:37 PM
Nice pics Steve! Too bad about the guys with the quads!

killman
08-10-2008, 08:39 PM
Once again great pics Dana. It's a shame that asshats like that are going to ruin it for all quad riders.

Brambles
08-10-2008, 08:47 PM
Sorry to hear about your bad experiance with the quadders, they arn't all bad people however. Surprised that the internet version of Steve Dana didn't rear his ugly head, you know the 7 foot 300 lb guy that pipes up from time to time:razz:

ruttinbuck
08-10-2008, 08:47 PM
30 cal through the piston minimum.
That "why would I care if you hiked in,I drove in mindset"can land an idiot into a world of hurt,and you will never convince a band of idiots of anything.
You did the best option and walked.One of the toughest things done lately though I bet.RB

Brambles I disagree,idiots and assholes never change and should be treated accordingly.

Blainer
08-10-2008, 09:05 PM
Great pictures as always.
I imagine you must be in some great shape.I loaded my backpack with some weight and hiked 5km. today,in anticipation of my sheep hunt.No problems,but I feel it a bit tonight.
I wish I would have been with you when the quads rolled in,then it would have been 2 against 3 and we would be less likely to get charged.
I would have no problems introducing them to Dana's dental plan.
Shame when you had you're son with you.
Blaine

.308win
08-10-2008, 09:13 PM
Surprised that the internet version of Steve Dana didn't rear his ugly head, you know the 7 foot 300 lb guy that pipes up from time to time:razz:

LOL!!......Thats funny.....You've meet Dana too!!!:biggrin: Great pics Dana, At least you got some of the weekend with the young fella before the arse-holes rolled in and spoiled camp! Think those goats will hold up for a few weeks!!?;-)

Perry

Brambles
08-10-2008, 09:15 PM
Wait till they grow some hair, goats with short hair are homely.

Orangethunder
08-10-2008, 09:34 PM
Nice pics Steve. Too bad some people dont have enough IQ power to keep a quad out of the alpine/sub alpine. Make that any riparian area. A##Holes, usually too fat to get off and walk and really enjoy things. Glad to here you found some goats, hopefully they put on some hair for you guys real soon.

Cheers

dana
08-10-2008, 09:34 PM
Brambles,
I killed my goat last year the 3rd week of Sept and he had a full coat by then. Timewise, I don't want to push it much past that as the weather can get brutal. Last year I had snow right down in the townsite of Blue River on the last weekend of Sept. Was pushing with my bumper at mid elevation. Not the place to be hunting goats on the top of the world with a 12 year old when winter sets in. We're going to be deer hunting come the first 2 weeks of Sept, so I'm hoping those goats will still be in the same general area when we go in there after them.

Fresh snow in the peaks this morning btw.

Brambles
08-10-2008, 09:55 PM
Brambles,
I killed my goat last year the 3rd week of Sept and he had a full coat by then. Timewise, I don't want to push it much past that as the weather can get brutal. Last year I had snow right down in the townsite of Blue River on the last weekend of Sept. Was pushing with my bumper at mid elevation. Not the place to be hunting goats on the top of the world with a 12 year old when winter sets in. We're going to be deer hunting come the first 2 weeks of Sept, so I'm hoping those goats will still be in the same general area when we go in there after them.

Fresh snow in the peaks this morning btw.

All haired up by the 3rd week eh, they must grow sooner up there, my goat was Oct 1 and although he wasn't short haired he definitly wasn't like a November Goat.

Taxidermy half mount is just about done on him:biggrin:

EvanG
08-10-2008, 10:05 PM
No place for quads in the high country

hunter1947
08-11-2008, 05:34 AM
Great pic Dana ,thanks for posting them.

tufferthandug
08-11-2008, 05:50 AM
Cool pics man! Inconsiderate quadder's are as bad as people with disobedient dogs.

Couldn't find Widebugger, EH?

Blainer
08-11-2008, 08:23 AM
What general area or management unit are these photo's from?
Great country.
Is this the general area that most of you're pictures are coming from?

Fisher-Dude
08-11-2008, 08:29 AM
Those quadders are up for a $100,000 fine under the new anti-mudbogger rules if they were ripping a meadow. I woulda been on the blower to the RAPP line as soon as I had cell service, or at least got their plate numbers from their trucks. When does the goat permit open for Cody?

browningboy
08-11-2008, 08:43 AM
Should have cut their fuel lines as you left, would havve been a long walk for those buttheads to get some more hose and or fuel to get them bikes out.

Elkaholic
08-11-2008, 10:12 AM
Great Pics as always Dana, and I am not sure of the rules up there but down here that would warrant a heavy fine to those ATV'ers if reported. As they are not allowed off of the roads and trails. Definitely not allowed to bush honk like that. Can add up to $100,000 fine around here if they so see fit to do it. I have no respect for people that have ZERO respect for the wilderness they love to recreate in.

happygilmore
08-11-2008, 01:18 PM
awsome pics dana, your boy looks like quite the up and comming hunter-happy to be out, theres nothing makes me happier than my boys showing interest.

dana
08-11-2008, 05:13 PM
Those quadders are up for a $100,000 fine under the new anti-mudbogger rules if they were ripping a meadow. I woulda been on the blower to the RAPP line as soon as I had cell service, or at least got their plate numbers from their trucks. When does the goat permit open for Cody?

Gotta remember where I live dude. No cell access where I was. Wasn't within cell access until yesterday afternoon. Never saw their vehicle on the way out. So no plate numbers to report. I was utterly disgusted with the condition the meadow was in. It looks like quaders have been beatin the piss out of it all summer. We logged in the area years ago and the soils were so sensitive we had to winter log. Can barely tell my roads are even roads. Can't even tell where our skid trails were. The wonders of logging in 12-15 feet of snow. Spent a ton of time laying out Riparian Reserve Zones and Riparian Management Zones on the meadow and all the creeks feeding it. Amazing that skidders have way more consideration for the land than a bunch of lazy ass quaders who haven't grown up yet. The area is a high use area for sledders and I was just as disgusted by what I saw from them. There is garbage all over the highcountry. Heck my son picked up a big garbage bag of beer cans in a period of about 10 minutes and he didn't even make a dint on what is out there. Really makes a guy wonder what people think about as they toss their bear cans over their shoulder as they look at the slendid view in front of them. This area is critical mountain caribou habitat, critical grizzly habitat and critical goat habitat. It is only a matter of time before the area gets shut right down if the quaders and sledder keep treating it the way they are.
As for my son's goat draw, Sept 1-Oct 31.

CoqTrophys
08-11-2008, 08:36 PM
Great Pics Dana. I always enjoy your photos and posts. Makes me want to be up in the highcountry right now. Too bad about the uninvited guests especially with your boy around. Good luck on the goat hunt come september.

Fisher-Dude
08-11-2008, 10:05 PM
Yeah, the garbage pigs seem to have come out in full force this year. I picked up a full garbage bag that was left beside a slash pile last weekend up by my cabin. Apparently, that slash pile will be burnt some day (in August - nah) so bozo thinks that no animal will rip into his stinking shit before then. To top it all off, the dog walks over a ridge when I stopped to water the daisies on the way home, and there's a whole truckload of household junk dumped in the trees. I guess it's too expensive at $6 to take it to the Kelowna landfill, so some asshat burns half a tank of fuel to dump it in the bush. :mad:

horshur
08-11-2008, 10:44 PM
Yeah, the garbage pigs seem to have come out in full force this year. I picked up a full garbage bag that was left beside a slash pile last weekend up by my cabin. Apparently, that slash pile will be burnt some day (in August - nah) so bozo thinks that no animal will rip into his stinking shit before then. To top it all off, the dog walks over a ridge when I stopped to water the daisies on the way home, and there's a whole truckload of household junk dumped in the trees. I guess it's too expensive at $6 to take it to the Kelowna landfill, so some asshat burns half a tank of fuel to dump it in the bush. :mad:

With much ignorance our local dumps are being shut down for a pay per dump policy....it will fill the bush with garbage.

with some they will drive an hour one way to dump for free rather than pay the fee.

Goverment should have just raised taxes to offset costs they are niave or just don't give a shit what situation they have created.

These naive assumptions regarding human nature will have big consequences for public access eventually. Gates to protect the backcountry.

The threat of huge fines is not working...the courts don't really take it very serious.

A friend of mine involved in community clean up says that sometimes they can shame the dumpers if they have a good community name to hold up too but that is about all.

I did not consider any of this until striking a new friendship with a Van Island res who could not believe how clean our local backcountry was....but not for long.

Same with the quaders...and it ain't just a few...it is alot of them.
Last weekend we found quad tracks past posted closed areas as well with well written signs and threats of max fines.

I see a future of gates and restrictions...to keep out the quads, dumpers, and the growers.:sad:

mcrae
08-12-2008, 05:54 AM
Its all about respect and consideration of others and these days that is just not a rule most live by...

BiG Boar
08-12-2008, 07:10 AM
Why couldnt you have left it as just you the son and the goats. It was so cool before the quads rolled into the picture. I am jelous of the goats.

Orangethunder
08-12-2008, 09:04 AM
With much ignorance our local dumps are being shut down for a pay per dump policy....it will fill the bush with garbage.

with some they will drive an hour one way to dump for free rather than pay the fee.

Goverment should have just raised taxes to offset costs they are niave or just don't give a shit what situation they have created.

These naive assumptions regarding human nature will have big consequences for public access eventually. Gates to protect the backcountry.

The threat of huge fines is not working...the courts don't really take it very serious.

A friend of mine involved in community clean up says that sometimes they can shame the dumpers if they have a good community name to hold up too but that is about all.

I did not consider any of this until striking a new friendship with a Van Island res who could not believe how clean our local backcountry was....but not for long.

Same with the quaders...and it ain't just a few...it is alot of them.
Last weekend we found quad tracks past posted closed areas as well with well written signs and threats of max fines.

I see a future of gates and restrictions...to keep out the quads, dumpers, and the growers.:sad:

I dont look forward to the day you speak of. Lets hope that between licensing ATV's and cracking down on a few idiots we can keep it the way it should be.

Cheers