PDA

View Full Version : Find something dead?

bozzdrywall
08-10-2008, 03:47 PM
I was wondering what would you do or what should you do if. Say you are walking through the bush during the open season and you see a record bull elk or a hog buck lying there dead. What would you do? What should you do?

Gateholio
08-10-2008, 04:09 PM
I'd make sure that I wasnt' walking into a carcass a bear had claimed.:-o

happygilmore
08-10-2008, 04:14 PM
tag it fast....jk
I live in a small town so I'd probably know by that night who lost the trophy and make them bribe me with a case of beer to let them know where it is.:p

Frango
08-10-2008, 04:16 PM
A few years ago I had a draw in 7/11 for bull moose.The season, as now started sept 10.We got to our camp late afternnoon on sept 9.Set up camp and decided to go for a walk and see if there was any fresh sign.
We found a dead bull moose ,shot that morning.One quarter missing.Obviously poached.We called the co's office.They asked us for all the info .They said thanks but not much they can do but add it to the list..We thought calling was perhaps a waste of time but at least they know.It was probably my moose they poached.I sure would have liked a plate number.

Avalanche123
08-10-2008, 04:18 PM
Make darn sure there wasn't a bear in the vicinity that claimed it as his trophy.

I'd report it to the CO's. I'd probably take a pic of it too. Other than that, not much.

I would not claim it for my own.

bozzdrywall
08-10-2008, 05:29 PM
what about taking the rack for your own? Is that just wrong or should you report it first and go through the steps? I have see a couple of dead 5x5 elk in my time and have thought about taking the rack i never did but if i did would i be as bad as the basterd that shot the bull in the first place?

bozzdrywall
08-10-2008, 05:31 PM
i made this thread cuz me and my buddy were fighting about this same subject just like to know what you all thought Thanks

SHAKER
08-10-2008, 05:55 PM
If it's a legal to hunt critter and you have a tag for it then make your decision.........cut your tag and claim it or keep on walk'n. I find cougar kills every so often and deer season is closed, CO's told me to either run the cat or walk away. Removeing anything is a chargeable offence unless you are a licienced trapper who can use it as bait on the trap line. Same goes for road kill! If road killed you may have a chance to claim what you found but usually it's siezed and goes to auction.

NaStY
08-10-2008, 06:08 PM
Unless it looks like some thing illegal went on. I would be more worried about what killed it and leave in a hurry.....

jml11
08-10-2008, 06:14 PM
Yeah unless you have a clipped tag for it, it is illegal to take any 'racks' you find in the bush or alongside the road. Under the wildlife act you must have a permit to possess any form of dead wildlife. Your tag is your permit for harvested game. Having discussed this topic with CO's personally, they have told me to cut the antlers off at the burr as single antlers are treated as sheds and are exempt from the wildlife act. If it is a true trophy and you want it for yourself to mount maybe(?), then I would clip my tag to make all the following steps legal.

A couple years back a guide found an absolute monster bull elk partially buried in a gravel bar along the Fraser River east of PG. He took the head and tried to get a permit but the Ministry took it. This elk was a huge non-typical, scores well over 400 I believe. Last I heard it was supposed to be mounted and put up at the airport but it's still sitting at the MoE office. If only the guide had clipped his tag....

MattB
08-10-2008, 06:38 PM
You can take the rack, you just have to get a permit to keep them!

ruttinbuck
08-10-2008, 08:25 PM
You can take the rack, you just have to get a permit to keep them!
Not with the provincial liberal government Matt.
If anything you pick up and want to keep can be auctioned for cash,the government will be keeping it and selling it to the highest bidder.
I should add this was as of two years ago.I have'nt heard of anyone trying since then.RB

MattB
08-10-2008, 08:32 PM
Hmm, i guess theres gonna be alot of racks illegally carried out of the woods, or antlers cut off the skull then :shock:

ruttinbuck
08-10-2008, 08:42 PM
I am talking about trophy quality of course.You can still get smaller heads etc. But any road kill birds of prey,trophy sheep,bucksetc are kept and sold.All about the cash.RB

dana
08-10-2008, 08:46 PM
Ruttinbuck,
It's best to leave them for a year or 2 and let the rodents chew on them, then they are worthless to the government. ;)

ElkMasterC
08-10-2008, 08:50 PM
If it was in good shape, I'd set it up for my hunting buddies.....lead them into it, and video tape the wacky hilarity that ensued!

But then again, I'm a pr!ck.

Last year in the East Koots we found a 5X5 Elk that some fool shot and left.
We reported it, but never heard from the CO's.
2 days later, the rack was sawed off...the elk bloated up, and started to rot.
Never saw evidence of a bear or 'Yote...not for 6 days until we left.
Highly unusual.

Sharkey
08-10-2008, 09:00 PM
If I could see if it was shot I'd call the CO right away, and follow their lead. Then mark the area and see if I could find out if someone was looking for it. If it was something that appears to have died of natural causes, I'd leave it alone and carry on.

reach
08-11-2008, 12:25 AM
Interesting question - we were just out sightseeing today northeast of PG and ran across a dead cow moose (pretty sure it was a cow - one ear was gone but no sign of antlers) lying in the ditch. We couldn't see any sign of gunshot wounds or much other physical damage. If it died of natural causes, it's a bit of a coincidence it was right there on the road... if poached, it wouldn't be there... strange.

Took some pics and will report to COs tomorrow.

hunter1947
08-11-2008, 04:54 AM
I would make sure that it was not a bear kill.
I would make sure that there was an open season for that animal you found it.
Then when the season for that animal opens up go back to where the record class animal was.
Then decide who from your party wanted to clip his tag???.

I would not clip my tag till the day the season opened up for that dead animal you found or you would be canceling your tag before the opening for this animal ,that would be illegal.

Buy doing this the person canceling his or her tag would not get there meat if it was a one only tag allowed for that calender year ,they would have to decide record class antlers or meat which one would they rather have ???.