PDA

View Full Version : ebay stories

Woodrow
08-09-2008, 12:58 PM
, irish setter mountain claw. 111 bucks deleverd from ebay, this ebay purchase was a good one, but I know not all purchases on ebay are all that good, for instance I put a bid on a nice pair of running shoes only to find out that they were womens shoes. I now have a brand new pair of size 11.5 womens shoes! Anybody else have good or bad ebay stories they want to share.http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x114/randyscott44/s7_812768_imageset.jpg

srupp
08-09-2008, 01:03 PM
my wife got a 30? piece spice jars and rack that was over $1,000 IF bought piece by piece..with shipping etc etc etc..
We had a friend who loves to shop E-bay do her magic..$50 in MINT condition proudly sits in our kitchen on the wall..

Steven

happygilmore
08-09-2008, 01:25 PM
Read...read...read... always read the entire auction and if there is info missing ask. over 100 items bought and only got screwed once.

Gateholio
08-09-2008, 01:26 PM
Send those shoes my way! My gal has relaly long, narrow feet. She is abotu 5' 10" tall.:p

killman
08-09-2008, 01:42 PM
Send those shoes my way! My gal has relaly long, narrow feet. She is abotu 5' 10" tall.:p

Sure Gate they probably match your tu-tu! :razz:

Woodrow
08-09-2008, 01:49 PM
if you want em im sure we could figure something out

killman
08-09-2008, 01:50 PM
I have bought a few things off e-bay and saved lots of money doing so. I have only had 1 bad deal, bought a BSA sweet 17 from Hong Kong for about $10 the seller said he made a mistake on the price and would not send it. Fought for about a month then gave up. I did get my money returned.

Woodrow
08-09-2008, 01:52 PM
When Ryan Smyth got traded from Edmonton I bought one of his jerseys for 22 bucks, it would of cost 200 the week before he got traded.

The 'Hummer'
08-09-2008, 03:28 PM
The only item I've got through e-bay, and actually my daughter made the arrangements, was for a book "Twenty-Two Caliber Varmint Rifles" by Charles S. Landis.
I'd recently purchased a sort of vintage Winchester High Wall single shot in a caliber to match its era, 219 Donaldson Wasp, with a scope from the same period, a 10X J. Unertl scope. The book I wanted primarily for info & data but as it turns out, it was published during roughly the same time frame so it ended up being the 'icing on the cake' that nicely rounded out the whole package.:smile:
Anyway, no complaints on the e-bay deal. The book was in the condition stated, reasonably priced and promptly delivered.

wetcoastwillie
08-09-2008, 03:40 PM
I buy and sell a fair amount on Flea Bay... have had many great deals, I'm also an eBay Trading Assistant "okanoganelectronicsplus" (thats someone who sells your junk on eBay for you for a minimal charge). I do it in my pare time to make some spare change.

As stated earlier; read, read, read, then ask any questions - before bidding.

You'd be amazed at some of the deals to be had if you know where to look.

I just bought a GFIC breaker for the hot tub... @ Home Depot $260 + tax, the exact one on Flea Bay... $113 delivered. How can you beat that?

dime
08-09-2008, 03:50 PM
Harris bi-pod new in box, the 23" one at Italian sporting goods (and other local stores ) were going to be close to $200 after taxes, delivered for $80. I also bought a little cheap Tasco scope for $10, although had to have it delivered to a Mailboxes etc in Washintgon and bring it across myself. With the money I saved on filling up the vehicle at the gas prices down south, I got the scope free.
Ebay is great, but it is buyer beware. Make sure you are buying from a reputable dealer, and buy new in box, not used.

bochunk2000
08-09-2008, 04:15 PM
I have had only good expieriences on eBay. The only thing that was a little iffy was a luminock that was supposed to be nib. It wore out after a few uses. Not the 40 hours if new.
Steve

mbhjls79
08-09-2008, 04:47 PM
I bought my bow and arrow off ebay, everything went smooth, except it got tied up at custom's for three weeks. Saved 500 bucks.

stickbow
08-09-2008, 05:55 PM
Yup I've bought and sold a number of things and never{knock on wood} had a problem.Shipping is sometimes a little slow but thats ok

anglo-saxon
08-09-2008, 06:45 PM
I've shopped on e-bay for years. I've had good and bad experiences. Mostly good, hence my still going back. It's a bit of a crap shoot. I've seen somehting that looks good but turns out to be crap when it arrives (like the turn signals that were described as chrome but were in fact chrome-coloured plastic, for instance). But then I've had some real deals. I collect old books about a particular topic and all of them are over 100 years old. For every one of them I have paid more for the shipping (whic tends to be $5-7, than I did for the book. Works for me.

I once cleaned out my offcie and sold stuf in there that I hadn't used for eons. I made US$600 and bought a new rifle!

Sitkaspruce
08-09-2008, 08:32 PM
Just bought two Penn GTI 320 for $115 including shipping, one was brand new and the other 6 months old. They retail for 129 = tax each.

Another thing is to know your prices and never get in a bidding war over the item, Always double check the shipping charges, sometimes I have asked and it is a lot less than listed, and I always ask the shipper for a phone # so I can talk to them about the item, if they will not give me one, I walk away.

I have never had a bad deal on ebay....yet

kloosterboer
08-09-2008, 08:51 PM
Ya ebay is great. my buddie's dad went kinda nuts a couple years ago and bought like 6 penn 320's and 2 or 3 of the 330's aswell as some ambassadeur 6500's for amazing prices. All the reels were very nice.

I personally have had some good deals aswell got a fletching jig and a new sight for my bow less than half price of the local store. I saved over $250 on a new 3 wood last summer.

Just remember do your research and read all the fine print.

rishu_pepper
08-09-2008, 09:52 PM
Never had a problem with Flea Bay. Usually I buy stuff that are under $100, so even if I get screwed it wouldn't be that bad (not that it happened). Good place to get gifts too, got father's day presents for the old man a couple times.

Dieseldog6
08-09-2008, 11:01 PM
I've had only a few minor issues until the last purchase. I bought an older LCD video projector based on the seller stating the bulb only had 15 hours use. It turns out the bulb rating for this particular projector is reversed and it had only 15 hours left on the 2000 hour rating.

I reset the counter and it still works but it's weak. To make things worse, there's a vertical sync problem so the edges of colour blocks bleed into each other a bit and there's 2 thin vertical lines that sometimes show up very obviously. I should have known better and just avoided that particular item because the seller didn't provide much info. Projectors are always a big risk because of the bulbs.

I've bought scopes, SG sights, a Limbsaver butt pad, a waterproof camo jacket and an awesome fanny pack that were all at least half the price delivered. I haven't bought or sold for quite a while now and I think it's time to start shopping again! :)

hunter1947
08-10-2008, 05:24 AM
I got a set of Leopold's 10x42 cascade new ,coast $300.00 delivered ,that was a real deal.

Little Hawk
08-10-2008, 08:11 AM
Good place for reloading stuff too!

I won a batch of six boxes of 30-cal/180grn Barnes boat-tails from a cool-dude down in Colorado. In the end, the guy found another box of the same bullets, but the blue-moly coated version, and he threw those in as well.

Landed at my door here in Victoria for less than $110.00/Cdn. That's about .30-cents a bullet vs. a dollar or more off the shelf.

Good thing my old odd-six don't mind shootin' em...

bigwhiteys
08-10-2008, 09:37 AM
I've bought and sold plenty on eBay and have yet to be screwed over...

Brand New Zeiss Spotter - Saved over $1000. (I bartered with the seller)
Thorlo Socks - Save like $5.00 a pair from ordering here.
1975 CJ-5 Jeep Top - Brand New $300. Saved about $500 there.
Fishing Lures - Buy them in lots and save a ton!

I always make sure the item is being shipped USPS and not UPS. As most know by now they charge ludicrous "brokerage" fees to get your item here... Usually the duty is close to the cost of your item... UPS is a scam.

Carl

todbartell
08-10-2008, 10:56 AM
only time I've been ripped off was I won a tshirt that had Bob Saget on it and said 'original gangster' but it never did show up and the seller said it must of got lost in the mail :(

coldbuc69
08-10-2008, 11:19 AM
Nothing but awsome deals on hunting gear. Hoyt Bow, Black Diamond Guiding ligh tent, cabelas camo. The rules I follow, is to always ask the seller how much the shipping is. Check his rating and feedback. My account through Paypal is linked to my Visa that has Buyer Protection, So if I get Screwed my Visa will cover me. You can also search Ebay.com for even more stuff. When I find the product that I'm looking for, I then go to the address bar and put in .com instead of .ca and it will take you to that page in Ebay.com. But you have to ask the sellers if they will ship to canada, sometimes they do.

FlyingHigh
08-10-2008, 11:38 AM
i bought the 2 DVDs of Jeff Dunham's ventriloquist stand up routines for 35 bucks almost a year ago. they never showed up. haven't bought anything since, but i usually find what i need locally or through actual dealers online for a great price.

BigBanger
08-10-2008, 11:43 AM
I ride an old harley and e bay is the best place for parts . If had some problems with slow shipping . I have always got my stuff . Few times it took over 2 mounths but I saved over 75% .

300H&H
08-10-2008, 06:01 PM
I bought a Leupold VX-L 4.5-14x50 for $800 including exchange/ins./shipping/duties.
In Kelowna I was quoted $1200-1400.
I've had lots of great deals on eBay.

SHAKER
08-10-2008, 06:02 PM
Just bought a Leupold VX11 3x9x40 for $306 Delivered includeing insurance. Also buy and sell lots of mopar parts and don't have any problems. I have accually got worse quality stuff from retail stores then I get from there. I hate the idea of it but e-bay is ok.

NaStY
08-10-2008, 06:05 PM
Ive been had a few times on flea bay. Although i do look at stuff, i wont buy anymore.....

anglo-saxon
08-10-2008, 07:37 PM
My rule is: Never bid early.

I put the item on my list of things I'm watching, get an e-mail when it's close the the auction ending for that item, then if the bidding has been fairly slow, I'll wait until the very last few seconds of the auction and submit my bid (just keep hitting the "Refresh" button every few seconds to see the time go down). When I post my bid, if another bidder's higherst proxy bid automatically outbids me, then fair enough. I also stay withing my original stated budget.

It REALLY pi$$es me off when clowns who have no idea how to operate or are people who just "fiddle about" on there start bidding like possessed people early in an auction. All they're doing is falsely inflating the price. If they sat back and waited, they could have a little frenzy at the end of the auction, the "best man" would win it and, best of all, it would actually have been obtained at a bargain.

I often wonder if half of the e-bayers on the planet aren't lonely house-bound post-menapausal women, who sit at their computers surrounded by empty wine bottles and chocolate wrappers, just bidding on everything and anything to get their wee jollies in life.

I was trying to obtain a gas tank for my bike after I dropped it a couple of months ago. I did my usual thing towards the end of the auction and this person's proxy bids kept snookering me. I left the auction once I had reached my $ limit, but returned later to see what she had paid for it. Wouldn't you believe, it was just a hair less than for a brand new one, plus shipping? What a winner. So, I checked her bidding history and it appeared that all she did was buy stuff...any stuff...and re-sell it. Like some warped hobby. I have never seen so many beanie babies and Polly Pockets in one location and here she was sitting there with MY F$%#*&$# GAS TANK!!!!!!!!

There used to be tons of awesome deails on there years ago. Now, they're few and far between.

todbartell
08-10-2008, 07:43 PM
I have never seen so many beanie babies and Polly Pockets in one location and here she was sitting there with MY F$%#*&$# GAS TANK!!!!!!!!

let's go get it back...

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/49/170374139_de9735fee5_m.jpg

brotherjack
08-10-2008, 09:42 PM
I used to buy on eBay pretty regular. Had a really nasty experience last year, and eBay's official position was "it was a shame you guys couldn't work it out between yourselves". OK, let's see - he sells me stolen goods, leaves me nasty feedback, sends me nasty letters and threats, and "it's a shame".... PayPal got most of my money back, but the same guy is still selling on eBay to this day; protected by eBay policies and procedures. The cops were supposedly going to go get this guy, but that was almost a year ago, and since he's still selling on eBay, I presume he's not in jail.

I have bought a few things on eBay since then, but very cautiously - and only from sellers with a long long history and 99.999% satisfaction ratings, and then, only if the price is a LOT cheaper than what I can get the item from a known (to me) reputable vendor.

killman
08-10-2008, 09:48 PM
I used to buy on eBay pretty regular. Had a really nasty experience last year, and eBay's official position was "it was a shame you guys couldn't work it out between yourselves". OK, let's see - he sells me stolen goods, leaves me nasty feedback, sends me nasty letters and threats, and "it's a shame".... PayPal got most of my money back, but the same guy is still selling on eBay to this day; protected by eBay policies and procedures. The cops were supposedly going to go get this guy, but that was almost a year ago, and since he's still selling on eBay, I presume he's not in jail.

I have bought a few things on eBay since then, but very cautiously - and only from sellers with a long long history and 99.999% satisfaction ratings, and then, only if the price is a LOT cheaper than what I can get the item from a known (to me) reputable vendor.

Why not post up the sellers name for us? Might save someone the hassles you had.

Stresd
08-11-2008, 07:38 AM
I buy a fair amount off of E-Bay and have really only been disappointed once. As it turned out it was my own fault as I had not done my due diligence and misread what exactly I was buying.:oops: I like others here have purchased some great deals on outdoor and hunting equipment. If the seller is across the line and won't ship USPS I will shop elsewhere. I have found that most sellers are willing to accommodate you by shipping US Postal service when the UPS ripoff is explained to them.

Woodrow
08-11-2008, 09:42 AM
only time I've been ripped off was I won a tshirt that had Bob Saget on it and said 'original gangster' but it never did show up and the seller said it must of got lost in the mail :(
sounds like a real heart breaker, How did you recover

todbartell
08-11-2008, 01:07 PM
you never recover from a blow like that...