PDA

View Full Version : Calling all Moose

Rusty
08-08-2008, 05:45 PM
I have always hunted Moose by walking very slow and watching and looking for black and or movement.
NEVER have I ever tried to call one in!
BUT reading the posts and the success of calling, I would love to try it this season. Sept 10th :smile:
The reason I have never tried before is I am afraid I would not sound just right and scare the game away.
Is there a call you can buy that sounds perfect and easy to use?
Thanks
Rusty

Deadshot
08-08-2008, 05:57 PM
Buy an instructional video/recording & practice mimicing the call. You'd be surprised at how responsive those lovesick critters can be. Of course timing is everything. I think Srupp is the man to talk to as he has his very own vid.
Good luck!

Avalanche123
08-08-2008, 06:05 PM
Sept 10 may be a little early IMHO.....Depending on the timing of the rut, even the worse sounding moose call can bring a raging bull in. I've heard of bulls coming to the sound of a chainsaw LOL.

Good luck! It is an exciting experience to have one come to the call. They can come in like "freight trains" or sneak in like a mouse so be prepared!

08-08-2008, 06:28 PM
These guys are right on, timing is everything, when you hit it right lookout.
Learn, Moon River, then sing it in cow moose lingo.LOL . If your not getting any response with a cow in heat call, try a bulls grunt. The videos and dvds are the way to go. They are all individuals, and act differently, expect the unexpected. Pick a frosty cool mornings and evenings, get downwind where you hope the beast will come from, stay hidden, practice calling before the hunt ... LOTS ! I personally have had then tip toe in and come a running, others hang up or try to circle you, be aware of your wind, move with them if you have too, rake the willows with the birch bark call or old antler ....(watch out on that one though) some yahoo might think your a bull. Sound like them and your in
Good luck.
C/T

kennyj
08-08-2008, 06:30 PM
Early in the season ( Sept 10 ) thrashing trees and brush early and late in the day works best.Like mentioned before get a Video.
Kenny

srupp
08-08-2008, 06:45 PM
hmmm sept 10 is definatly a bit early..more like 26th of Sept on till Oct 20....
I have heard some calling I "thought" was pretty bad..but it brought in a bull.. plug your nose and let out a loud seductive waaaaughhhhh..youd be surprised..

Srupp

Avalanche123
08-08-2008, 06:53 PM
[quote=srupp;312102]plug your nose and let out a loud seductive waaaaughhhhh..youd be surprised../quote]

LOL...well said!

Tarp Man
08-08-2008, 09:06 PM
You Tube moose calling and prepare to laugh! It is amazing what works and what they sound like when so horny they see tail everywhere.

peterrum3
08-09-2008, 01:11 AM
plug your nose and let out a loud seductive waaaaughhhhh..srupp

I've always wondered what the call looked like in print.......very funny. Yes, try youtube and practice takes five minutes.

Bushman
08-09-2008, 06:06 AM
I have had bulls come to the call in early September up on the Alaska Hwy. They may not all come in fast and furious but the odd bull usually can't resist checking out what he thinks is a cow in heat.

You may also want to track down some 'mare's urine' that is collected or taken while the mare's in heat.
Soak a cloth in the urine and put it up in a tree so the pungent aroma drifts on the breeze. Trust me, this does work.

Keep your calls to a minimum (about once every 20 minutes) and listen and watch very carefully.

Good huntin'

moosinaround
08-09-2008, 09:02 AM
I usually use a tried and tested method of calling in moose, It has worked for years, It goes a little something like this...................

Here moosie moosie moosie!!! Come here boy!!!

Just kidding, Calling works like a hot dam, specially the last week of sept, first couple weeks of oct. Moosin

browningboy
08-09-2008, 09:16 AM
When the bulls are getting into the mood, any call will work, one could pretty much stick a tranny tube up his arse and fart and they'll come, biggest thing to keep in mind is not to stand still, moose wander and so should you, scrape the odd brush and every once in a while wander off to another location and give out a cow call, this will speed up the process of getting him in as he'll loose his tail! I suggest no calling in a wide open area as they will circle as well to see where you are, they can pinpoint you out like nothing so keep moving and hidden.
As for calling techniques,l you really should get a video and practise but really it's not hard as when the bulls are in full rut, they'll come into pretty much anything!
Good luck.

Flingin' Sticks
08-09-2008, 09:55 AM
just remember, if you call too much a bull will hole up just out of sight and wait you out. also, in the early season, a cow call will usually stop a bull that has you spotted and is headed in the other direction, kind of like whistling at a fleeing deer. If you can do this, it may give you enough to get a shot off it the bull isn't too spooked.

Like said above, even poor calling will work at the right time.

jml11
08-09-2008, 10:33 AM
My first experience with a rutting bull was fun. I had taken 4 moose before but had never tried calling or experienced the rut before. In 2006 I had a bull draw in 7-16 and it was september 23rd. I did hear a cow moose calling near the truck first thing in the morning. Waited around but never saw here or any bulls. The day was off to a good start already! I walked down a deactivated road throug a large cutblock and didn't see anything. The road was in the bottom of the block so I decided to hike up a game trail to get on top of a small ridge to look around. The block was full off eye level fireweed and I was making all kinds of noise as a result. Figured I was going to spoke anything around away for good. After about ten minutes and reachin the top I heard a bull grunt close by so I stopped and heared more grunts, every couple of seconds pretty much. He was close and was grunting like crazy. Finally I saw him and he was coming right for me less than 50 yards. Guess all the walking noise must have 'called' him in. I gave a few IMO pathetic grunts, not having practiced before, and he stopped moving and grunting, I also couldn't see him as he was going through a little dip in the terrain at the time. Figured the grunts were so bad he was about to bolt. I gave out one more and he began to come right at me again. Once I could see his chest I drilled him before he walked right over me. Probable 12-15 yards away. He ran about 20 yards and dropped. Not sure what would have happened if I had let him get any closer. I was well covered by the tall fireweed and he was sure surprised to see me when I stood up to take the shot. Definitely my coolest moose experience and biggest bull. I will be trying to call next time for sure.

Rusty
08-09-2008, 10:52 AM
Thanks to all!
I will keep you posted on shootin the bull :razz:
Rusty

mpotzold
08-09-2008, 11:33 AM
[quote=Rusty;312077]I NEVER have I ever tried to call one in!
BUT reading the posts and the success of calling, I would love to try it this season. Sept 10th
I'm not sure if calling this early will work(maybe way up north!)
Check this-

mpotzold
08-09-2008, 11:56 AM
I have had bulls come to the call in early September up on the Alaska Hwy. They may not all come in fast and furious but the odd bull usually can't resist checking out what he thinks is a cow in heat.

You may also want to track down some 'mare's urine' that is collected or taken while the mare's in heat.
Soak a cloth in the urine and put it up in a tree so the pungent aroma drifts on the breeze. Trust me, this does work.

Keep your calls to a minimum (about once every 20 minutes) and listen and watch very carefully.

Good huntin'
Bushman! Welcome back!!

moosecaller
08-09-2008, 08:16 PM
Calling works and that's a fact!

gone hunting
08-09-2008, 11:51 PM
2 quick moose calling stories.
I was with my 11 year old son, when we heard a guy doing the lamest, nasally, whining version of a moose call you ever did hear. We went to check it out and found that it was a cow moose trying to tell a young bull to piss off. My son, being a chivalrous lad, and always ready to help a lady in distress, shot the offending bull. (at 300 yds, across the arm of a lake)
Last year our moose hunt lasted about 15 minutes, when a bull thought my quad sounded like another bull, or a cow, or I don't know what, but he came trotting straight for us, across a clearing. BOOM
The first story was late Sept and the 2nd was early Oct.
I use my voice, through cupped hands or a birch bark funnel.
Early season, I'd be doing a lot of cow calling. You are more likely to catch the interest of a younger bull but they are great in the freezer.