PDA

View Full Version : Edible Portions

Spuddge
08-08-2008, 11:17 AM
This may be a stupid question but, are the ribs considered by law an edible portion of the animal? It would appear that according to the hunting synopsis they are not. It mentions the loins and the four quarters but not the rib cage, or is the rib cage part of the four quarters. I know alot of hunters debone their animal before packing it out, do you take the meat from in between the ribs or just the big stuff? Thanks, I,ve copied what the regs say below.

It is unlawful:

to kill wildlife (with the exception of
grizzly bear, cougar or a fur bearing
animal other than a black bear) and fail
to remove from the carcass the edible
portions of the four quarters and loins
to the person’s normal dwelling place or
to a meat cutter or the owner or
operator of a cold storage plant.A
person who kills wildlife is exempted
from the requirement to remove the

edible portions if that person transfers
possession of the wildlife to a recipient
who complies with the requirement.

Edible portions do not include meat that
has been damaged and made inedible by
the method of taking. Of grizzly bear,
cougar or a furbearing animal other than
a black bear, the hide must be removed
to the person’s normal dwelling place or
to a meat cutter, the owner or operator
of a cold storage plant or to a
taxidermist, tanner or a fur trader.A
person who kills wildlife is exempted
from the requirement to remove the
hide if that person transfers possession
of the wildlife to another person who
complies with the requirement.

Wild Images
08-08-2008, 11:43 AM
Been checked a few times with boned meat fron flyins and never been asked about the ribs. We always bone the four Quarters then pull a bag of trimmings off the neck and such, never had a problem with any Co not being satisfyed.
Just be sure to leave evidence of sex and a patch of hide for species Id.

Gateholio
08-08-2008, 11:45 AM
I think if you have the loins, the shoulders and the rump, you are okay....

Wild Images
08-08-2008, 11:59 AM
If you get a young Co just out of school Look out, they will go by the book and I've heard of them trying to piece the animal back together on a tarp. For the most part the older guys are better to deal with.

rifleman
08-08-2008, 12:50 PM
I don't think you have to take the ribs out. I either leave them on the carcass or I cook them BBQ style & eat them @ camp

Moosenose
08-08-2008, 01:33 PM
On a pack out, I've never taken the ribs, nor have I ever seen anyone pack the ribs out. If the animal can be taken out in one peice (close to the road, or accessible to quad), then we take the ribs.

bighornbob
08-08-2008, 01:38 PM
I asked this question once to a veteran CO as there is no definition of what a quater constitutes.

Most people see a quater as the shoulders and hinds. But if you look at it another way, 2 quaters equals a half and two half equal a whole. The Co saw it this way too and said all the meat from the ribs and the neck had to be removed. But once again with most of the of the rules thats the CO's intreptation.

I guess it would depend on the CO, but in most cases the meat from the shoulders and hams plus the loins is all most will wanna see.

BHB

srupp
08-08-2008, 02:19 PM
hmmm never ever took the ribs..been checked plenty..

Steven

elkdom
08-08-2008, 02:58 PM
some people eat moose 'nose' ,tongue and liver and heart and kidney,yeckk!as for "edible" it means the meaty sections of the four qaurters,and any bones does not count, ribs,neck ,bones, spine, etc

GoatGuy
08-08-2008, 03:52 PM
I asked this question once to a veteran CO as there is no definition of what a quater constitutes.

Most people see a quater as the shoulders and hinds. But if you look at it another way, 2 quaters equals a half and two half equal a whole. The Co saw it this way too and said all the meat from the ribs and the neck had to be removed. But once again with most of the of the rules thats the CO's intreptation.

You got that there math thing happening again.

:?:

Brambles
08-08-2008, 04:42 PM
On backpack hunts we usually take the ribs and cook them on the campfire with some seasoning salt, gives you lots of energy for the pack out the next day. hhhhmmmmmm goood