PDA

View Full Version : So you see a Grizzly.... what do you do..

blackford
08-08-2008, 12:06 AM
The things that keep me up at night eh... its 12 am.. and i am taking a look at a few threads.. It just occured to me... I have really only hunted 2 regions... Region 2 and Region 8. As per my previous post we are headed to Region 4 to do some Elk Hunting and also take advantage of the seniors hunting program.

My questions is are there any Grizzly Bears in Region 4 that i should be taking precautions.. I shoot a 270 so I guess if the going got tough i could always take a few shots... ( thats strickly if the going got tough)

I have 2 questions....

A. Should i be worried of Grizz in Region4 and the EK region

b. lets say i see one.. and we are looking at oneanother.. what do i do...

I have done a google. search and see many conflicting tips... what works for you..

lip_ripper00
08-08-2008, 12:31 AM
practice the 3p's. panic, puke and passout!!!

08-08-2008, 12:52 AM
The EK's have lots of G bears, when you fire the gun at your deer , elk or moose its like ringing a dinner bell in some places, watch your back !
Not to freak you out or anything but some areas a down right scary, Ask the C/O's in the area your hunting.
C/T

Gateholio
08-08-2008, 03:40 AM
Keep your wits about you, and pack Iron...not much else you can do..

Your wits are WWWWAYYY better than lead....

kennyj
08-08-2008, 04:34 AM
I usually try to take a photo of it.Maine thing don't panic.http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/BT_deer_052.jpg

08-08-2008, 04:52 AM
The things that keep me up at night eh... its 12 am.. and i am taking a look at a few threads.. It just occured to me... I have really only hunted 2 regions... Region 2 and Region 8. As per my previous post we are headed to Region 4 to do some Elk Hunting and also take advantage of the seniors hunting program.

My questions is are there any Grizzly Bears in Region 4 that i should be taking precautions.. I shoot a 270 so I guess if the going got tough i could always take a few shots... ( thats strickly if the going got tough)

I have 2 questions....

A. Should i be worried of Grizz in Region4 and the EK region

b. lets say i see one.. and we are looking at oneanother.. what do i do...

I have done a google. search and see many conflicting tips... what works for you..

Yes there are some areas where the grizzly densities are very high and you have to watch out for them, especially if you kill something and can't get it out right away. In most cases (not all) the grizzlies are at higher elevation, if you are hunting the Jr/Sr season in the bottom of the Trench (under 1100 meters) you are better off.

If you surprize one at close range let the bear make the first move, ninety-five percent of the time they'll just run away, then don't push your luck - go hunt somewhere else. Keep your cross hairs on him, you never know when that 5% comes up.

If one comes in on a kill it's a different story, they can be quite aggressive and you might have to decide whether to let him have it or shoot him.

There are several incidents every year in the EK, but there's also thousands of hunters afield. Most of them never even see a bear. The people who see bears a lot are probably hunting the high country. In some places the hunter density is so high that the bears just clear out of these areas.

Don't worry, go have a good time.

Fisher-Dude
08-08-2008, 05:36 AM
Where I hunt in the EK, I have an encounter with a g-bear every year or two. I haven't had to chuck lead at one yet - partner put a shot in the dirt to dummy up a big boar who was crossing the 15 foot comfort zone line.

If you are working on quartering game, be sure to keep you guns and bear spray ready to go. Bear spray is likely more effective at close range than your gun (Gary Shelton also gives spray the nod). If it's possible, drag your game into the open before you work on it so you have a better view of what is approaching. If a bear has claimed your meat when you return to pack it out, it's illegal to shoot the bear to get the meat back, so get the antlers and hinds out on the first trip. ;)

I don't worry about the bears much when I'm over there, even though I'm smack in the middle of one of the highest g-bear densities in North America. The first couple of days of a hunt keep you watching more closely, then you get used to the idea that they are around. Read Shelton's books if you can - lots of good info in there.

Little Hawk
08-08-2008, 05:47 AM
Howdy Blackford,

Hunting in grizzly country?

First Rule: Be certain you can outrun your buddy.

Skip ahead to the - 'Trouble with Grizzlies' thread on the next page.
Good stuff there.

Also, some would argue, you might want to get a bigger gun. Some say decent bear-cartridges start at 30/cal and up. If I was shooting a 270' in the EK, I'd load some 160-grn. Nosler's and jack'em as high as I could while keeping the accuracy intact.

In 95', my first trip to the EK, buddy and I saw or encountered 10-bears in 10 days.

Watch your back.

Cheers,
Terry

08-08-2008, 05:49 AM
Where I hunt in the EK, I have an encounter with a g-bear every year or two. I haven't had to chuck lead at one yet - partner put a shot in the dirt to dummy up a big boar who was crossing the 15 foot comfort zone line.

If you are working on quartering game, be sure to keep you guns and bear spray ready to go. Bear spray is likely more effective at close range than your gun (Gary Shelton also gives spray the nod). If it's possible, drag your game into the open before you work on it so you have a better view of what is approaching. If a bear has claimed your meat when you return to pack it out, it's illegal to shoot the bear to get the meat back, so get the antlers and hinds out on the first trip. ;)

I don't worry about the bears much when I'm over there, even though I'm smack in the middle of one of the highest g-bear densities in North America. The first couple of days of a hunt keep you watching more closely, then you get used to the idea that they are around. Read Shelton's books if you can - lots of good info in there.

Mornin' Pat, since when did comptrollers have to get up this early?

08-08-2008, 06:04 AM
Howdy Blackford,

Hunting in grizzly country?

Watch your back.

Cheers,
Terry

The above is good advice. But don't let this stop you from having fun. I've lived and hunted in the East Kootenay for over 45 years and I've done a lot of high country hunting for elk, sheep, goats, and early season mulies. I've seen dozens and dozens of grizzlies, but I've only had a half dozen or so real scary close range encouters over all those years. I've never had to shoot at a bear in self defence. I also use a .270 for sheep, goats and mule deer hunting, but I did feel undergunned on more than one occasion in grizzly country, but hey, there's lots of guys out there doing the same thing but armed only with a bow!

Most times a bear will go out of his way to avoid you, just like you need to do if you see one.

Fisher-Dude
08-08-2008, 06:10 AM
Mornin' Pat, since when did comptrollers have to get up this early?

I can't sleep the best part of the day away Andy. Have to take the hound for his morning walk, and I need to get in good enough shape to pull the quad's winch cable out to reach my elk! :biggrin:

Besides, I start at 7. ;)

blackford
08-08-2008, 07:50 AM
so are there any precautions we should keep at camp...

should we keep a fire going while we are hunting....

should we keep the food at a seperate location..(not in the wall tent)

also some people have said that black pepper is good to sprinkle all over the meat so the bears ont get it... am i just sesoning the meat for them or does this really work...

by the way... are we going to be ok with sleeping in a wall tent or should we sleep in the truck?

hunter1947
08-08-2008, 08:05 AM
Yes there are grizzlies in region 4-4.

When ever you are in Griz country try and stay in the open areas as much as you can ,always be on your toes.

If I see a Griz I leave that area and go to a different place about 5 miles or more away.

If you see a Griz and he does not see you then back out and get out of the area.
I have left areas where I have seen grizzles many times and I will continue to do so in the future.

blackford
08-08-2008, 08:08 AM
so should we camp in an open area... should we be worried about a night time visit...

me thinks the new teddy bear is the rifle now...

08-08-2008, 08:45 AM
Be afraid....be very afraid...

hunter1947
08-08-2008, 08:48 AM
so should we camp in an open area... should we be worried about a night time visit...

me thinks the new teddy bear is the rifle now...
You don't have to camp in a wide open area.

What I am referring to in my post about open area is when you are hunting try and stay out of the thicker bush and work the more open areas ,this way you can see further around at your surroundings.

bigwhiteys
08-08-2008, 09:03 AM
Blackford... You're putting a lot of worry into an issue that could very likely be a non-issue... Sleep in the wall tent, wherever you want. Sleep with ear plugs in... If a bear comes someone else can deal with it!

I hunt in Grizz country every year and I don't even think about it. Most of the time my gun is strapped to my pack so if I did run into one at close quarters he wins! You're a hunter with a gun! Buck Up!

Carl

bozzdrywall
08-08-2008, 09:04 AM
like everyone else said there are a high number of G bears in this regon but for the most part use your head. hunt with a partner and be ready. The chance of you jumping a bear are slim to none. Keep your food in a truck and keep a clean camp other than that sleep with your gun ready to rock if the time comes. dont worry have fun

Wolfman
08-08-2008, 09:25 AM
When I see a grizzly the first thing I do is hide my pik-a-nik basket and wait for Mr. Ranger ;-) ;-)

Wolfman

Fisher-Dude
08-08-2008, 09:38 AM
Black pepper keeps flies away, not so sure about bears. I've had grizzlies leave big snot marks all over the windows of the truck because I had some granola bars and snacks inside! :shock:

Avalanche123
08-08-2008, 10:28 AM
You certainly don't want to hunt in fear as there is nothing worse than being jittery.

Keep a clean camp, eat in a separate area, and keep an eye out for fresh sign. Once you have meat to deal with, the situation changes. Returning to the area where you have the meat stored is likely the location for an encounter if any.

Anyway keep a cool head. Others have suggested good advice here too.

Good luck.

coldbuc69
08-08-2008, 10:32 AM
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/22/37617167_86ef86a0f7.jpg

This is the first thing I would do if I ran into a G Bear:shock::shock::shock:

greatwhitehunter
08-08-2008, 11:21 AM
Driving to your hunting location is probably more dangerous than hunting in G-bear country. (statistically)

Don't let the bears scare you off. As pervious threds say, keep a clean camp, don't have food in your tent, be careful and alert, respect the bears and their home.

If you see one, move away, leave the area, I would even move camp if need be. NEVER run away, this will only prevoke an attach. Back out slowly.

Good luck on your hunt and remember to post puctures!

moosinaround
08-08-2008, 11:30 AM
My camp gun is a 12ga with 3" mag slugs. Always handy! Keep the camp CLEAN!! Can't stress that enough! Dont sleep with your garlic sausage around your neck! Keep grub in a air tight or well sealed cooler or grub bag. If there is meat in camp, keep the blood scraps etc cleaned up. wash everything well after working with meat, including yourself!! If you have grizz encounters with meat in camp, try to scare off the grizz, if it persists, it getting a snack of moose, rather than a snack of hunter is the preferred choice. I have never had a bear in a camp, now that being said I have probably jinxed myself!! Moosin

08-08-2008, 12:49 PM

also some people have said that black pepper is good to sprinkle all over the meat so the bears ont get it... am i just sesoning the meat for them or does this really work...

by the way... are we going to be ok with sleeping in a wall tent or should we sleep in the truck?

You're getting overly worried there dude. Just keep a clean camp, no food, food scraps or coolers, etc, lying around camp, keep your grub in a sack hanging in a tree or in a truck.

Do not leave a fire going when you leave camp, the EK is an extremelly hot and dry region and starting a major fire is a real concern.

Everyone else sleeps in wall tents or even smaller, that's not a concern.

RMG
08-08-2008, 12:59 PM
A hunters most vulnerable time around Gbears other than in camp, is probably once any game animal is down. A Gbear or any bear for that matter will smell dinner for many miles.

Once you have your elk, deer, moose or other game on the ground, expect to have a visit in the next couple hours from a bear. Many hunters, tend to get so involved with the gutting, quartering, and field preparations of any game animal that they tend to become unaware of whats creeping up behind them. Always maintain you awareness when in Gbear country, especially once your animal is down. Always, leave your rifle, very close, with shell chambered, and ready in a moments notice at these times. Prefer to have a partner on look out, when gutting, skinning and quartering in the field. Be extremely cautious upon returning to a kill to retrieve meat, antlers or your forgotten mittens.

Best of all have fun, be safe, and leave the panicking for another day.

Fisher-Dude
08-08-2008, 01:09 PM
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/22/37617167_86ef86a0f7.jpg

This is the first thing I would do if I ran into a G Bear:shock::shock::shock:

Was Kechika standing below you when you saw that bear?

Moosenose
08-08-2008, 01:27 PM

No need to keep a fire going, unless you want the bear to be nice and warm while he sleeps in your bed after eating your porridge.
I don't think the smell of a fire would keep them away anyways.

We keep our food in coolers (air tight) outside the tent under a tarp.
Keep any garbage containing food scraps outside the tent also, better yet, burn any food garbage that would attract them.
We wash our dishes with a little bleach, prevents beaver fever, and keeps everything clean.
Hang your meat a safe distance away from your tent, give yourself a comfort zone.
I like black pepper, so go ahead with the pepper idea.
Urinate on the natural trails heading into camp, lots of human scent around doesn't hurt. Beer will help you with the trail marking, might help you sleep also.
Keep a rifle and a flashlight handy.
Good luck, less than a month to opening day.

Wild one
08-08-2008, 06:00 PM
I have hunted in areas with grizz and had no real problem

1) give them there space

2) store food and meat safely away from tent

3)keep clean camp

If I can do it with only a bow and live I think you will be fine.

PS black bears have gave me more problems than grizz

killman
08-08-2008, 08:38 PM
A warning shot between the eyes usually slows them down.

Just kiddin.:smile::smile:

GoatGuy
08-08-2008, 10:45 PM
the EK is an extremelly hot and dry region and starting a major fire is a real concern.

I'm concerned about it - we really need some fires in a bad way. Not too many a couple majors every year will help clean things up around there.

08-08-2008, 11:16 PM
I'm concerned about it - we really need some fires in a bad way. Not too many a couple majors every year will help clean things up around there.

I agree, we need some "controlled" and "prescribed" fires.

srupp
08-08-2008, 11:54 PM
I have spent a considerable amount of time amongst grizzlies..and havnt had many problems..notice I didnt say "any" some great advice given here..I would make a couple more in the alpine keep the food 100 yards or more from camp..and yes we PEE all around camp..

Most daytime encounters involve movement yours or the bears so you BUMP into one another..avoid direct eye contact talk low and calmly ..and sloooooly back away..once an encounter is avoided perhaps a different area??When travelling through thick bush I sometimes hang a bear bell off my pack other times I just give the odd "hey bear hey bear" around flowing water makes scent detection and hearing you before you get invade their non comfort zone...very difficult stay alert..

Nitetime encounters are predatory in nature and here there is no such thing as excessive force..keep a weapon and light handy...all food 100 yards away..PREFERABLY up a tree.. same for meat poles...
Do not wear the same clothes you ate and cooked with to bed..wash well before bed..

I dont believe in "warning shots" once your comfort zone is breached shoot to kill...

I have never used the bear spray..the newer versions seem more "watered down and in a wind they "could " come back on you and now YOU cant see and are incapacitated..however IF used correctly and well aimed etc they can be very effective..

After shooting game..remove the cape antlers or horns..and all meat and remove it some distance away from the gut pile..if you have to leave part of it..the meat..leave it in the open..where you can see it from a considerable distance leave a jacket or shirt close by..and next day watch for a while to ENSURE no bear has claimed the meat if it has... forfeit it ... be happy with the cape and horns...dont go looking for a dust up..

As you travel through the alpine stop and look ahead..look for bears..look for bear kills...or bears that have taken over a kill ..recognize what a buried animal from a grizly looks like THEY WILL NOT BE FAR AWAY AND WILL FIGHT TO KEEP THEIR KILL..their lives depend on it preparing for winter..

stay alert however enjoy the outing...remember More people have been "injured by VOTING liberal in BC than by grizzlies..":eek:

cheers

Steven

hunter1947
08-09-2008, 05:53 AM
Blackford don't get to worried about a black or Griz coming into your camp http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon12.gif.

We have been going deep into bear country in the EK where our camp is.

coming up to 43 years.

Out of them 43 years we have only had one bear come into our camp that was a problem bear.

Like others said about your concern ,just keep a clean camp and you will fair well :wink:.

Little Hawk
08-09-2008, 07:12 AM
Howdy,

Indeed, no freakin'-out about bears all the time; it'll ruin your experience.

But you do need to be aware and alert always, especially in the EK and other high density areas.

Lots of good advice here.
You should get and read Gary Shelton's books (Bear Encounter Survival Guide etc.) to start with. Seriously. Then you won't have to ask other people for advice when the sh*t hits the fan.

What the boys are sayin' about the importance of being 'ultra-alert' and ready to dance when you have an animal on the ground is also sage advise.
If you do read Shelton's work - and I hope you do - you will read his account of the grizz-attack on Fumerton & Caspell (check spelling?) not far from Radium back in 95'. According to the RCMP these two poor fellows were at the 'top of the class' as far as experiance and outdoors-competency goes. They were sheep hunting high up on the slopes of the Rocky's and stumbled upon a 6-point Elk which they dispatched.
They did everything right; dragged the animal out into a clearing to work on it; one man standing nearby on a rise with good 360-degree visability with a loaded rife while the other worked on the elk with his gun at hand, also loaded and ready to fire.

The griz that killed these two men did it in such a way that niether got off a shot.

Let us all learn from them, so that their deaths are not in vain.

Cheers,

Terry

hunter1947
08-09-2008, 07:58 AM
Howdy,

Indeed, no freakin'-out about bears all the time; it'll ruin your experience.

But you do need to be aware and alert always, especially in the EK and other high density areas.

Lots of good advice here.
You should get and read Gary Shelton's books (Bear Encounter Survival Guide etc.) to start with. Seriously. Then you won't have to ask other people for advice when the sh*t hits the fan.

What the boys are sayin' about the importance of being 'ultra-alert' and ready to dance when you have an animal on the ground is also sage advise.
If you do read Shelton's work - and I hope you do - you will read his account of the grizz-attack on Fumerton & Caspell (check spelling?) not far from Radium back in 95'. According to the RCMP these two poor fellows were at the 'top of the class' as far as experiance and outdoors-competency goes. They were sheep hunting high up on the slopes of the Rocky's and stumbled upon a 6-point Elk which they dispatched.
They did everything right; dragged the animal out into a clearing to work on it; one man standing nearby on a rise with good 360-degree visability with a loaded rife while the other worked on the elk with his gun at hand, also loaded and ready to fire.

The griz that killed these two men did it in such a way that niether got off a shot.

Let us all learn from them, so that their deaths are not in vain.

Cheers,

Terry
Me and Trigger were set up for an evening hunt last for elk in the EK.

We walked in about 2kl.

We were just inside the timber line set up and he was cow calling for elk.

I was laying down having a nap as for Scott he was calling every so often.

Then he yelled to me griz coming in on us.

I got up to see this big boar walking strait towards us.

We let him get within about 100 yards .

Trigger said what should we do ???.

He said maybe I should fire my 06 above him ,I said yes go ahead he fired one shot above him ,this griz did not even stop he keep coming towards us.

I said maybe i should fire one to one side of him ,Scott said yes go ahead ,I fired off a shot with my 7mm and he still kept coming did not stop at all.

We looked at one an the other and said lets head out of here so we jogged out of this set up place we had set up in and we keep our eyes on this bear till we got out of sight.

We got back to the truck and still had enough time to get to a noter area for the evening hunt.

Just a little advice from an old salty ,when cow calling always expect that you might be calling in a bear.

This is about the 15th time in my years of elk hunting that I have called in a griz so be ware.

blackford
08-09-2008, 07:59 AM
Thanks so much everyone...

Well with all the advice and Sheltons book i think we are set...

the countdown til getting out there continues as I dream of the possibilities of a new area.

thanks all

srupp
08-09-2008, 10:22 AM
Gary (Sheldon ) who still lives in Bella Coola..has THE BEST book on bear interactions..using case studies of attacks and incidents..he gives sage lifesaving suggestions... advice..that I think is absolultey a must read..gained from a lifetime of study and interactions with the big bears at one time Gary taught a course on defensive choice and use of weapons..he is a class act and ther is no better source of information I feel he is better than even SSteven Herarro from Calgary..IMHO..

cheers

Steven

sfire436
08-09-2008, 12:19 PM
I will be the first to admit that I have a HUGE fear of Grizz. No matter where I go, in the peace or the Koots, I am on edge ALL THE TIME. But you know what? I find the fear hightens your senses and makes you more aware. You would be supprised how much you can hear and see when you think you might be lunch, so use it to your advantage!

srupp
08-09-2008, 01:05 PM
true enough but too much fear can ruin your outing and cloud your judgment when ya need it the most...however yes some is very usefull..

Steven

Toppack
08-09-2008, 01:30 PM
Twice I have had G-bears watch me while I quarter game (I did not notice at the time but the tracks tell the story) both elk hit the ground early and were out the same day (one by noon). I have chased elk and had them shut-up and vanish. I thought I blew the hunt until meeting up with my hunting partner too have him tell me he watched a G-bear roll into the slide I was in and put a stock on the elk and what he thought was an elk....me. I did not see the bear or the elk and both left the area. The point is if you hunt in the EK you will have bear encounters and chances are you wont even know it because most bears want nothing to do with you. MOST BEARS ARE GOOD. There have been some excellent comments on taking precautions with food/down game ect...Take the precautions. But know what you are going to do if you run into a bad bear. Just my opinion but I think warning shots are a bad idea. Far too often I think bears get conditioned to associate the sound of a gun shot with food not to mention a warning shot might be the only shot you get (bears are very fast and most people will be a little stressed in this situation). If a bear has breached your safety zone, has your scent, is aggressive (learn the signs) and retreat is a limited option, I would shoot to kill with out pause.
Bottom line if you enjoy hunting in the EK you will encounter bears but don't
sweat it, the small risk is well worth the hunt.
Oh yea, most people that get attacked never see it coming!
Sleep well:-)

Toppack
08-09-2008, 01:46 PM
Blackford
A .270 will do the trick and you should be using the premium ammo to hunt elk in any case. :-)

Little Hawk
08-10-2008, 08:46 AM
1947: I've read that in 'the old days' guys would splash dirt/rocks up under their bellies with a well placed shot and that would usually turn em.

What you and others have said about the gun-shot 'dinner-bell' thing is absolutely true. In 95' while hiking up Dutch Creek in the EK we found ourselves being charged by two sub-adult grizzlies. At first they were trotting towards us - seemingly curious - from about 90 yds out. It wasn't until buddy put a shot over their heads that they both broke into a full-gallop coming straight at us.

Srupp: I agree with you wholeheartedly that Shelton's work is very important and that all people who spend time in bear-country should read it. I would argue though - if comparing his work to Herrero's - that it's not at all about a comparison or a necessity to compare one's work against the other. In Herrero's case, he's been studying bear-human conflict since the 60's and has intensively researched most every known/recorded bear-attack on a human since then. For years, he was the go-to guy that the cops, CO's and Forest Service people would call in to analyze a bear attack. With all due respect to Shelton and other authors on this topic, I consider Herrero the 'Godfather' of bear-attacks of humans. A few years back when I wrote a paper on bear-hunting in night school, I corresponded with both of these authors during my research. Both were very helpful and both do what they do because they are concerned about bear-human conflict.

Read all you can from what's out there, then use it to help yourself stay alive in bear-country.

Terry

srupp
08-10-2008, 09:10 AM
chuckle..I have read both authors..and I see one major difference Steven is writing with a view to the bears saftey..while Gary is very concerned over the humans saftey lol:tongue: both authors have done a great job of researching bear conflicts..and the sometimes tradgic results..Gary deals more with arming yourself and how to deal with a attck situation or confrontation..while Steven is more prevention and then proper defensive position..Steven does not have the hunters background of Sheldon.

I agree BOTH are valuable tools ...

Steven

Little Hawk
08-10-2008, 09:45 AM
Srupp: You are right again. Because of Shelton's hunting-guiding background he does have a slightly different angle on things, yet he too, is concerned for the welfare of grizzly bears in BC same as Herrero. Regardless, I don't believe either would put bear-survival above human-survival like some of today's bear-huggers do.

One thing I noticed during the time I was researching the bear-human conflict/bear-hunting topic was that more than one author on the subject who had come to know, and or, hunt, study and work with grizzly bears, developed a great respect and admiration towards these critters. Two author's come to mind - Shelton/Andy Russel - that at one time hunted them and then shifted their focus's to grizzly bear conservation activities.

I am not a bear-hunter but I do support bear-hunting as a management tool and a means to keep them humble towards humans. Non-hunted bear populations will, over time, loose their fear of humans.

Personally, although I hope not to run into them at close quarters again, I hope there are always grizzly-bears out there; just knowing that makes the whole deal much more interesting.

Tarp Man
08-10-2008, 10:39 AM
"I've had grizzlies leave big snot marks all over the windows of the truck because I had some granola bars and snacks inside!"

Man, I hate it when bears use my truck as a big steel kleenex!

I certainly have not been hunting long, but I grew up in rural Mission (cue banjos) and we had bears around our neighbourhood from late spring to fall. We learned early on to keep the yards clean, to keep garbage from accumulating (kept in sheds away from the house and taken to the dump weekly) and to keep our wits about us. In the old days, a bear banger was the designated response for curious bears, and a shotgun blast (not at the bear) to deter those that came too close. What Little Hawk said about non-hunted bears seems to be coming true right now. Combined with urban push into forest areas and a lack of lethal pressure on bears by humans, bears are losing or have lost their healthy fear and respect for us. Add that into the Walt Disney syndrome, we have situations like Coquitlam being narrowly avoided all year long. How many bear encounters are CO's dealing with now? I am curious how much of an impact we are now seeing from to the increase in bear population due to the prior moratorium (NDP) on bear hunting. I was talking with my co-workers this week about this and once they knew how large the bear population was, they were all for destroying a few bears to keep their high end subdivisions and purse dogs safe.

Tarp Man
08-10-2008, 10:57 AM
My first hunt in Fort St. John I had a grizzly come into my moose kill in the August GOS. From shot to bear appearance it was maybe 30 minutes. My buddy and I booked it out of there cause it had gotten too dark to really see well and no moose was worth shooting it out with a grizzly in the dark. Even my first moose (I didn't want it to be my last).

To this day I owe my buddy a huge kudos for keeping calm (with a newbie hunter who was making his first pair of camo hunting boxers) and not kicking my a$$ when I kept shining my headlamp in his face. It can be pretty hard to hike out when your night vision keeps getting shot to turds with a frantically swivelling headlamp beam.

Two days later that same buddy shot a moose at 8:30 am. When we were dragging it out of the clearing up to the truck, we had a black bear come out of the bush, stood up for a look, then came running out into the clearing, clearly focused on us. (100m away) We all got a bit antsy, but thankfully no shots were fired. The loaded gun was in hand, but the bear skidded to a stop at the gut pile (50m away) and decided that would do nicely. It reinforced in my newbie brain that some judgement, WHEN THERE IS TIME, can be a good thing. But stopping at 50m has much more time than 15 or 20m.

srupp
08-10-2008, 11:39 AM
Hmmm yes Andy Russell I have his DVD of his bear preserve off Russia..quite enjoyable

And then there are guides like len Jeck who traepsed all over the Alberta/ BC mountains chasing sheep w/o a back up weapon got attacked now wont go anywhere in the mts w/o a weapon..

I know Sheldon also wants the bears saftey..he just has a slight "hunters " history..

I especially felt very "teary" with Gary and his first hand account of a big boar disabling a mother grizzly then killing the cubs..very graphic and actually upset me..I could tell it affected Mr Sheldon also..

Cheers

Steven

mark4
08-10-2008, 12:30 PM
Try not to worry too much about grizzlies- it really is over-exaggerated but it can happen. I like the boy scouts motto- alway's be prepared- when bow hunting in the east Kootenay's I wear a belt like Gary Shelton say's - with a huge can of bear spray on one side and an eight inch dagger on the other. I also have a 450 marlin with five shells on my back. I am not really freaked out of grizzlies by any means- but if one decided to give me trouble- he is definitely gonna get it back. This set-up lets me travel around in grizzly country without being skittish or worried. Definitely stay away from large groups of crows- I investigated this scene once and found Grizzly bears on a gut pile- I luckily didn't get seen and backed out of there as quick as possible. It might sound weird but if I get a bad feeling in a certain area I just leave. Have fun on your hunt and don't let the possibilty of bears ruin the experience, getting the game out as soon as possible is common sense, don't dilly dally LOL.

quadrakid
08-10-2008, 01:18 PM
subject is pretty well covered here.one thing newbies to grizz country should be aware of is that mr grizz likes to bury his kills . these piles of dirt can be quite large and can draw the newbies interest if he does not realize the danger they pose. a coworker of mine was standing on one of these piles with his young son trying to figure out what it was when he noticed a bit of moose antler sticking out. they were lucky to get away from there without a bear encounter. stay alert and aware in mr grizz,s backyard.

08-10-2008, 03:23 PM
[quote=Little Hawk;312547]
I consider Herrero the 'Godfather' of bear-attacks of humans.
Sorry I have to disagree. Gary Shelton & Larry Kaniut are by far my favourite BEAR(encounters)authors. G.Sheltons bear knowledge is based on 30+ years of REAL life experience as a (bear)hunter, guide, naturalist, teacher/instructor, author-living in one of the most densely populated bear areas in N.A.
Dr. Steven Herrero is an ACADEMIC.
His book BEAR ATTACKS…is an excellent read IMO.
IMO –the trouble with academics is that they sometimes base their hypothesis, conclusions etc on selective & limited data, anecdotes etc in order to agree with their premise.(A biased study IMO)
I strongly disagree with the bear spray propaganda.(bear spray vs bullets) (politically correct garbage)
I also recall that Herrero changed his mind about playing dead with a black bear.
IMO -one should “walk the walk in order to talk the talk”

From some (biased)articles
-Canadian bear biologist Dr. Stephen Herrero reached similar conclusions based on his own research-a person's chance of incurring serious injury from a charging grizzly doubles when bullets are fired versus when bear spray is used."
-University of Calgary grizzly bear expert Stephen Herrero analyzed dozens of human-bear encounters and found bear pepper spray to be 94 percent effective in deterring aggressive bears..

I knew steve Herrero a little when he was Park Warden at Yoho, many years ago. He was a pretty decent guy, actually hunted elk and deer a little around the golden area. None the less, I do with your evaluation Mpotzold.

Little Hawk
08-10-2008, 03:52 PM
Srupp: If I'm not mistaken, I believe you have Andy Russell (author of Grizzly Country) confused with his son Charlie who's lived and studied brown bears for years in Russia. I just read his (Charlie's) response to Timothy Treadwell's death. Very thought provoking. http://cloudline.org/treadwell.html

Tarpman: Wild story! They say you need to determine before hand where you draw the line in sand during a charge and begin shooting at the thing.
For some that line is very far away, for others it's a matter of a few feet.
I can't honestly say where I would draw the line; considering many occasions involve a 'bluff-charge' designed to scare the living sh*t out of you, I would hope I could hold off till he's 5 to 10 yds out. Not sure if I could.

Terry

srupp
08-10-2008, 04:28 PM
hmmmm me bad I thought it was the same Russell..

EXELLENT READ ABOUT TIMOTHY TREDWELL

steven

eaglesnester
08-12-2008, 02:23 PM
When you are in an area populated by grizz do yourself a favor and pack the right firearm. A 270 is not appropriate in grizz country. A 338 loaded with a 250 gr premium bullet is. That's my opinion and I think it is a safe way to go.

browningboy
08-12-2008, 05:19 PM
When you are in an area populated by grizz do yourself a favor and pack the right firearm. A 270 is not appropriate in grizz country. A 338 loaded with a 250 gr premium bullet is. That's my opinion and I think it is a safe way to go.

I agree ( X2):cool: