PDA

View Full Version : Butcher or meat locker near Dease Lake

msawyer
08-07-2008, 08:18 AM
Hello all...

I'm planning a 1 week fly in caribou hunt followed by a 2 week fly in sheep/moose hunt in the Dease Lake area for September of this year. I am trying to figure out what we will do with any meat we get during week 1 while we are back out in the bush for 2 weeks... Does anyone know if there is a butcher in the Dease Lake area or a meat locker where we can store the meat? Any other suggestions?

Many thanks

Mike
________
hot box vape (http://hotboxvaporizers.com)

Avalanche123
08-07-2008, 08:29 AM
There are none that I am aware of....
Hope for really cool temps!

Wild Images
08-07-2008, 11:22 AM
We did the same thing last year, our meat was boned and our capes were salted and dried. On the change over we had arranged with Bruce (pilot)
to leave the meat in his freezer,Worked out great.
Took a few days for the caribou to thaw in the butchers cooler and the meat was in great shape when cut.

Mr. Friendly
08-07-2008, 11:32 AM
We did the same thing last year, our meat was boned and our capes were salted and dried. On the change over we had arranged with Bruce (pilot)
to leave the meat in his freezer,Worked out great.
Took a few days for the caribou to thaw in the butchers cooler and the meat was in great shape when cut.
question. once meet has frozen and thawed and froze again, doesn't that ruin the meat? or is there something you do that negates that? :confused:

elkdom
08-07-2008, 11:40 AM
question. once meet has frozen and thawed and froze again, doesn't that ruin the meat? or is there something you do that negates that? :confused:

freezing ,then a very slow thaw, wont harm the meat, but do not fast thaw and raise temp of meat to 'room' temperature, I have had many times same senario, never a problem with meat quality or taste, just dont get meat warm after freezing and then re-freeze! then your pooking for problems!