PDA

View Full Version : Wondering about grouse hunting around PG (Saxton Lake)

Dieseldog6
08-07-2008, 12:22 AM
I'm probably going to be in Prince George in 4 - 5 weeks and I'd like to take my boys out to look for some grouse. I was thinking about an area on the North side of Saxton Lake because it's close to where we'll be staying. The Google Map coordinates are 54.04911, -123.376637.

Can anyone tell me if this a reasonable place to walk the old roads? Any other suggestions for easy morning grouse hunting near PG in September?

Thanks,

dieseldog6

jml11
08-07-2008, 07:34 AM
our crews have been working that way over the past year including all last fall. We were on the main roads and grouse were sporadic at best. Those we did see often flushed as soon as the truck was within 100m. The reason...those roads are heavily hunted by local road hunters, they do what we call the mandalay loop looking for moose. Kinda funny actually as they all thend to go the same direction and don't realize there is more often that not a truck just ahead of them the wholetime. It may not be so bad in early september though as moose season isn't quite in full swing. The old side roads may be better as they see less activity. I saw most of the grouse on the gravel sections near all the farms and ranchs before the road turns into the Kay-kay. The area you have mentioned has seen a fair bit of recent logging therefore the 'old' roads you are seeking aren't likley so old anymore. I did a few grouse down around the Reid Lake area last year. Never know though, this year could be better for the birds, their populations seem to fluctuate differently in different areas around the PG area.

Dieseldog6
08-09-2008, 10:40 PM
Thanks for the info JM. You obviously are very famiiliar with the area. I'm not at all.

I'm looking at the possibility of relocating to PG within the next year or two. I'm hoping to get on with BC Hydro in a construction management/administration type of position. I know that things jobwise are a bit stirred up these days with the economy in PG but BC Hydro has a lot of work planned so they are one source for solid employment options. Until a year ago I worked for a company that sold mainly to sawmills and I know their sales are still very slow.

We're actually planning to stay at Vivian Lake Resort and use it as a base to do some real estate viewing along with fishing and the aforementioned grouse hunting. I'll be happy if I can find some old spurs or skidder trails to walk down with my sons. It loooks like we'll be there a week earlier than I thought so hopefully it won't be too busy.