PDA

View Full Version : Fly fishing Fernie?

Plincker
08-06-2008, 10:24 PM
Hi guys,

Me and the girlfriend are headin out to Fernie for a week at the end of Aug. I'm gonna be taking my fly rod and I'm wondering if anyone knows of some good spots on the Elk river or any other good rivers to fish. I'm just learning so anygood begginer spots would be great!

Thanx, Plincker

08-07-2008, 12:36 AM
Hi guys,

Me and the girlfriend are headin out to Fernie for a week at the end of Aug. I'm gonna be taking my fly rod and I'm wondering if anyone knows of some good spots on the Elk river or any other good rivers to fish. I'm just learning so anygood begginer spots would be great!

Thanx, Plincker

Anywhere between Morrissey and Fernie is good, you'll see the vehicles parked where the hot holes are. The Bull River is also real good. Don't forget to pick up your Classified Waters License. You'll have a great time catching Westslope Cuts.

Plincker
08-07-2008, 08:06 PM
Thanx alot for the info 6616. I'm not familiar with this Classified waters license you mentioned? I have my Fresh water license, is the classified license for specific species or rivers?

blackford
08-07-2008, 08:32 PM
Thanx alot for the info 6616. I'm not familiar with this Classified waters license you mentioned? I have my Fresh water license, is the classified license for specific species or rivers?

good question.. i am wondering the same thing...

model88
08-07-2008, 08:58 PM

The Classified license is only river and day specific if you arent from B.C. Its a one time purchase per year. Can't remember the cost, I think its $18.00 or so.

Be prepared to be fishing elbow to elbow on the Elk. The Bull is good and so is the Fording. Little less pressure on these two. good luck and happy fishing.

blackford
08-07-2008, 10:10 PM
so being that we are from BC it isnt a issue and we dont require it?

08-07-2008, 11:06 PM
so being that we are from BC it isnt a issue and we dont require it?

Yes you still require it, it's just that residents can buy one for the whole season instead of just by the day. On all waters classified under the Quality Waters Policy a Classified Waters Fishing License is required by all anglers in addition to the regular license. Available at many locations in Fernie and Sparwood.

Plincker
08-09-2008, 09:35 PM
Thanx again 6616 for the info. It shouldn't be too buisy during the week on the rivers should it?!?!?

Kody94
08-09-2008, 09:41 PM
Its pretty busy 7 days a week. Most of the people you'll be bumping shoulders with will be from Alberta and Montana. Was a great great place before it got discovered by everyone and their dog. I haven't fished it in 6 years.....too frustrating.

ps: its tough to find a place without fish on the Elk river, and harder to find places without people. So what I am saying is don't be afraid to go to the more out of the way places on the river.

Cheers
4ster

Plincker
08-12-2008, 08:53 PM
Its pretty busy 7 days a week. Most of the people you'll be bumping shoulders with will be from Alberta and Montana. Was a great great place before it got discovered by everyone and their dog. I haven't fished it in 6 years.....too frustrating.

ps: its tough to find a place without fish on the Elk river, and harder to find places without people. So what I am saying is don't be afraid to go to the more out of the way places on the river.

Cheers
4ster

Thanx for the info, I guess it's a goodthing I'm bringin my Hikin Boots!!

troutseeker
08-12-2008, 09:34 PM
The Elk has tons of fish in it and they are very willing to take a fly. I was there in mid-July with a group of 12 others. We drifted in pontoon boats, man were the guides pissed at seing so many of us on the water! Everyday they would ask which section we'd drift the next day to avoid us. I always drifted last, behind everyone else who rush to beat everyone to the "best" water. Over three day's drift I caught well over 100 cutties. Most in the 15" to 17" range, some smaller and few bigger. The largest fish was 22".

They are in there and if you work a bit and know how to read the water you'll find them! A lot of people were fishing big stimulator patterns which worked well but I've found that small (size 12 and 14) paraduns or emergers worked even better. Also after fishing a run over with dries I would return with nimphs and catch a few more. And I fish upstream unless in the boat. Lot's of good walk in fishing there too, just walk a bit and leave others behind you. Last year I caught my biggest cuttie from the Elk while walking on foot from the Fernie bridge, it was a brute of 26"...

Have fun, Troutseeker