PDA

View Full Version : High Country Moose ?????

TIKA 300
08-06-2008, 09:52 PM
Looking in region 3,near Jelly rolls area(north)and wondering if Moose will still hold to high country (5900')in the begining of Oct, or is this a waste of time while looking for the elusive buck ???
Ive been in this area before as of Oct 1st and found the usual tracks and droppings,but never any really fresh ones.(not that i was looking for moose) Terry K

TIKA 300
08-08-2008, 07:32 PM
Any hunters in region 3 ???????
Not asking for areas,just asking if moose will hold in high elevations that time of year ???

Avalanche123
08-08-2008, 07:57 PM
I am not sure about Region 3 however in the areas I know in Region 6, it usually takes a fair amount of snow to push the bulls to lower elevations.

Jelvis
08-08-2008, 08:38 PM
Region 3 moose north of the Kammylooper place. Lot's a chances on seeing moose but gos is for spike/fork I believe. Possible leh moose tags available in the draws.
Of course theres moose in them thar hills brah! Let me tell yah back in, northwest of Kamloops the moose were once abundant. And in the high-country on either side of the North-Thompson River you can find some fair moose. Moose are still pre-dominant from around Clearwater to Blue River.
Moose can stay higher up in deeper snow than a short legged deer but the moose eat lilly pads and sodium rich plants all summer in lake and ponds than change to willow in fall.
Winter comes early up high in the mountains around nor river. Moose could be up high too but tryin get one close to vehicle access or horses.
October 1st til October 12th would be moose rut approx a few days either way. Mule deer November.
Muleys migrate usually before breeding season. From October 20th and through the season.
You could catch a moose or muley right on the side of any FSR in the Nor River system from Clearwater to Blue River. Good-luck-c-ya-go-north young man! Jelly-nor-riv

Timberjack
08-09-2008, 09:59 AM
I got a late draw for moose in region 3 last year - Nov 1 to 30. Didn't even find anything until we went way up into alpine meadows - 6500' and -18 degrees. We started finding fresh tracks in the snow, and then a nice bull to drop. We also were finding sheds up there - indicating they winter up there as long as the snow levels don't get too deep. It's so dry in some areas that the snow gets blown off some hillsides and deposits down lower - they are taking a lesson out of the sheep and goat playbooks.

anyway - to answer your question, get your ass up high and find some tasty meat and a rack...

TJ

Orangethunder
08-09-2008, 10:09 AM
I have seen them in the alpine right up to November even December. Usually right near the tree line. I have also seen them at the valley bottom all summer. They are where you find them...:-P

TIKA 300
08-09-2008, 04:08 PM
Thanks for everyones input,i have some prelim scouting to do. TK

Jelvis
08-09-2008, 08:25 PM
When I really want a moose say every so many seasons and this coming one being the time I go where moose are. Then I go early in the morning out where they are still around at sun rise. I hunt close to road so when I get one it is easier to do the meat. I go late season for the chillier nights for cooling carcass.
The deer are still around too so you will see both.
Moose and deer in the same area. jel-reg 3 good

Ltbullken
08-10-2008, 07:01 PM
I think you can find bulls and cows at that elevation. Depends on habitat, hunting pressure, etc. I have seen moose tracks at 6000' with snow on teh ground in the North Thompson (around Blue river) area.