PDA

View Full Version : Deka Lake area

Phoneguy
08-06-2008, 08:22 PM
So it looks like I get to go on a mid September hunt in the Deka Lake area. Never been in there before so:

Can anyone recommend a meat cutter, or a place to cool/hang game?

We will (so I hear) be hitting 5-1 and 3-39. Anyone care to point me in the right direction / General areas?

Whatever else you can think of that may help me be successful for my first deer (that I actually drop the hammer on)?

Thanks

James

Jelvis
08-06-2008, 08:32 PM
North from Roe Lake to Windy Creek for bigger mule deer bucks. Only hunt south east section of 5-1 for best deer hunting.
3-39 Mann Creek area--mules Jel 3-39

FullDraw
08-06-2008, 09:51 PM
Butcher Bob in Forest Grove should be able to handle your game cutting.

gameslayer
08-06-2008, 10:47 PM
Butcher Bob in Forest Grove should be able to handle your game cutting.

As well there is a place in Hundred mile south end of town, right side as you are driving in Sorry I forget the name but it is the first general store (easy to find)that sells and cuts meat that will hang your meat for you if you are in a pinch. Bob was full and we hung a moose for 3 or 4 days there a few years back.

Mr. Friendly
08-06-2008, 11:26 PM
I have a friend in Barrier that's got a setup on his property for butchering in Barrier. that's some south of 3-39, but if you come back down towards Kamloops it might be good for you. I can't remember his contact info, so I'll find out what's what for you.

my dad works with him at the Fortune Safeway in Kamloops...like I said, he's a butcher. just remember his name is Steve...

Phoneguy
08-07-2008, 08:45 AM
Thanks for the info guys. This is coming together quickly. Got to get my poop together. One of my buddies who is (supposed to be) coming is still in Europe. I have sent him a couple of emails, but no replies, so he will have even less time to get organized.

All advice is appreciated.

James

Flingin' Sticks
08-07-2008, 09:07 AM
that general store mentioned above is called 99 mile market. and yes, they will hang and butcher for you...but it's not their primary business. Butcher bob's is usually full or fills up quickly. I can't remember the name of the place, but downtown on birch ave. there's a place that my family has used before and they do a top notch job.

As for hunting, stay to the south end of 5-1 for deer. there's a couple good road systems near fawn lake that may be worth checking up on.

Good luck

Anthony

Orangethunder
08-07-2008, 03:31 PM
Findlay Meats is on Horse Lake road, on your way from Deka into town. I think there may be one at the interlakes corner too. Findlays comes well recommended locally.

Good luck.

Sako 300 win mag
08-08-2008, 06:33 AM
We have been using Butcher Bob in Forest Grove for years great guy great service.

Flingin' Sticks
08-08-2008, 09:18 AM
Findlay Meats is on Horse Lake road, on your way from Deka into town. I think there may be one at the interlakes corner too. Findlays comes well recommended locally.

Good luck.

I think that Findley's stopped taking game a couple of years back because it just got too busy for them...not entirely sure though

boonerbuck
08-09-2008, 12:37 PM
I think that Findley's stopped taking game a couple of years back because it just got too busy for them...not entirely sure though

Yes, Findlay has moved away from game cutting. They have passed their hunting clientel onto Butcher Bob and Butcher Bob has passed his livestock customers onto Findlay in the fall. They both have done well with this trade.

All the high country around Deka lake can produce a buck for you. Not my favourite hunting place but where the locals like to hunt for a meat buck. A handful of good sized bucks come out of there per year.

I know people who like to hit the area around Cougar Lake.

Good luck.:wink:

Elkhound
10-20-2009, 11:06 AM
James..talked to a buddy of mine.....he said he has already given Deka lake info to your buddy Steve and hopefully he shares the info with you. LOL

takla1
10-20-2009, 12:15 PM
ive taken a couple nice bucks some yrs ago south east end of canim lk, some high cut blocks back in there .the mulies like to bed down right at the top of these blocks.Had best luck getting in early before first light ,hike up and still hunt along the tops.Moose in there too!