PDA

View Full Version : Port Hardy Aug 04

Sitkaspruce
08-05-2008, 11:31 AM
Well it was another great trip, not as many fish, but a great surprise for our first fish.

Left the dock at 5:30, ran to the "spot" and set both lines...hmmmmm something is not right, the other times while fishing this spot, I have not been able to get both roads in the water before the first has a fish on. Made a tack around the point and the outside road starts to bounce. I pull it off the downrigger and can feel the head shaking, pass it to one of the others in the boat, and pull up the downriggers and other rod. The fish starts to take some line, but is still mostly just head shaking and doing small runs. Afer a couple of minutes I can see the flasher behind the boat as it starts to come to the surface, then it takes off on another short 20 yard run. As it gets near the boat, I look down and can see a glowing coming from below. Halibut!!!. When it gets near the surface, I can see it is a nice hali. I grab the leader and swing the gaff right between the eyes. I get it bleed and tied to the side of the boat. We drag it around for another three hours until we decide to leave. It is then that I realize that we do not have just any hali, but a prety big one at that. I drag/pull/struggle to get it in the boat, once there we take a measurement, 60". My biggest one in the boat to date.

We fish for some more hali's, but no luck. Back at the dock we end up with 4 coho, including a hatchery one, two pinks and the hali weights 105 lbs!!! Not bad for 45' on the downrigger, anchovie and a #1 treble. The biggest surprise was that we had the fish along side the boat and tied up in 5 minutes!!!

Sorry for the crappy picture, it does not due the fish justice. The other guys have better picts on their camera.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v489/Sitkaspruce/Fishing08040.jpg

Now I am off for the wifes sisters wedding:confused::( for the next 10 days, bad timing.

Cheers

SS

BigBanger
08-05-2008, 11:40 AM
Nice fish .

wetcoastwillie
08-05-2008, 11:48 AM
Uhmmmmm.

I can taste the Hali fillets now!

Very Nice, congats!

BiG Boar
08-05-2008, 12:35 PM
awsome fish. My favorite food from the ocean. I mean they taste terrible, I will come pick it up if you dont want it all.

Johnnybear
08-06-2008, 10:20 PM
Holy big freezer needed Batman. Man you folks are having a great summer eh. Love the photo's Sitka keep em coming. Great stuff man.

gameslayer
08-06-2008, 10:39 PM
Great Stuff, 45 feet that would be a surprise.

BlacktailStalker
08-07-2008, 01:14 AM
Nicely done, nicely done :)

Clint_S
08-08-2008, 03:46 PM
Nice.

I'm heading to the Island on the 16th. First time since I left there 14 yrs ago, lookin' forward to it.

Deadshot
08-08-2008, 06:35 PM
Your killin me, man.
Enough allready!:cry: