PDA

View Full Version : Got 2 current hunting licences..what do I do?

tikkat3
08-04-2008, 10:27 PM
My wallet got stolen from a gym locker a couple of months ago, it had my hunting licence and hunters number in it. I went and replaced the hunter number card and bought another licence. I didn't know you couldn't do that at the time...

Then I got my wallet back in the mail, with everything in it but the credit card and cash. So I have 2 08 hunting licences now, which I understand is an offence as per the regs.

I havent hunted yet this year but I did buy a bunch of tags with my newest licence..

Anyone do this? I'm not sure what to do here...do I go to the gov't office and try to sort it out or something? or do I wait to get busted and try to explain my case then?

K-1
08-04-2008, 10:31 PM
Call up or go to your local CO's office and explain it to them, they will tell you what to do.

gearjunkierob
08-04-2008, 10:36 PM
I think that you are on the right track with the Gov't Agent's office. If that doesn't work, phone the RAPP line and ask them for assistance to sort it out. It was an honest mistake, hopefully the CO's will understand and work with you to allow you to keep your new tags/license.

Worst case scenario is you don't do anything and you get caught for having two valid hunting licenses. The fines under the Wildlife Act are pretty stiff these days and you could possibly loose any animals harvested under that license, or worse - potential for license suspension, court appearance, firearms seizure.

Best bet is to be honest, admit a simple mistake and sort it out before you head out hunting.

Way to go for picking up on the error and making inquiries.

Rob

lip_ripper00
08-04-2008, 10:41 PM
whaoooooooo red neck hunting!!!!.. Call the CO and make it right:wink:

ElkMasterC
08-04-2008, 10:41 PM
Buy a fake nose and moustache.

Muddy up your plates.

Kill everything you see.

The fines are a joke.

Ya gots two licenses..use em up..who's gonna know? It's not like there's a database that's updated daily. Not like we have a credit card-type system, like civilized provinces. We have little paper comic books.
Clean up.
Try and get three.
Then you'd be my hero!

;-)

tikkat3
08-04-2008, 10:45 PM
i guess I'll be calling the CO tomorrow. He better not try to take my truck:shock:

Steeleco
08-05-2008, 12:05 AM
How would anyone know you had two if you only carried the newest one? Just curious?

But I'd definitely take the advice of the Gov't agents office, hell maybe even see if you can be refunded for the old tag less license?

Mr. Friendly
08-05-2008, 12:34 AM
I'm curious. did you go buy another license or did you go and register another hunting number? as I understand the regs, you're only in violation if you get another hunting number. if a license is lost, they only charge you a small $10 replacement fee. if that's all you did, then you're only out $10.

hunter1947
08-05-2008, 05:03 AM
Phone the wildlife branch and tell them what happened ,they will probably tell you to come in and they will sort things out or other.

Dirty
08-05-2008, 06:42 AM
My Dad accidentally bought 2 licenses one year. He got one for spring bear and then forgot and bought another during fall deer season. When he realized, he called the government agents office. They made him forfeit one of the licenses with tags included. He was out some money, but it was his fault so he wasn't that upset.

BiG Boar
08-05-2008, 06:56 AM
dont carry your hunter number card in your wallet first off. If buying licences just either tell them the number or show them an old licence. In my part of town some of the walmart cashiers are so stupid it takes them like 20 minutes to fill out a form as the line backs up behind me, or I just pull out last years and say this is what you have to make it look like, but just put 08 on it. I had one clerk say, "people still hunt?" Obviously didnt even know they sold licences.

bighornbob
08-05-2008, 08:41 AM
[quote=Steeleco;310788]How would anyone know you had two if you only carried the newest one? Just curious? quote]

I would bet money all the licenses and names are entered into a computer. Once entered it would be simple to run a query on duplicate names.

BHB

bighornbob
08-05-2008, 08:43 AM
dont carry your hunter number card in your wallet first off. If buying licences just either tell them the number or show them an old licence. In my part of town some of the walmart cashiers are so stupid it takes them like 20 minutes to fill out a form as the line backs up behind me, or I just pull out last years and say this is what you have to make it look like, but just put 08 on it. I had one clerk say, "people still hunt?" Obviously didnt even know they sold licences.

Around here all the stores used to do it like that but the last few years, they wont sell you a license unless you show them your hunter number. They still use the old license for the address etc etc. Must have been a rule change from up top.

BHB

Phreddy
08-05-2008, 09:31 AM
Very simple solution. Call or stop in at the C.O.'s office, give them the RCMP file number, and turn in whichever one he tells you to. No on'e's going to penalize you for doing the right thing. I know of a couple of occassions where friends of mine were in the same situation, and that's what they did.

ElkMasterC
08-05-2008, 09:45 AM
4Duplicates for misplaced, lost, stolen or
accidentally destroyed licences are available
from Vendors and Service BCs’ offices for a
fee of $10.00 plus GST. A Statement of
Loss is required. DO NOT purchase
another original licence from a sporting
goods store or similar non-government
licence issuer, as this will automatically show
on the records that you have been issued
more than the legal limit of current
licences, which is an offence under the
Wildlife Act.

I stand corrected.
Should have read the original post more thoroughly......anyone wish to enjoy this lovely Crow I have for dinner?

bighornbob
08-05-2008, 09:50 AM
Oh brother.. I don't believe all this......

Destroy the first one. Esp. if you haven't bought any tags. Just shred it. Done. You have one booklet.

Yes it would be that simple if he had gone down and payed the 10 bucks and got the replacement license. If thats what he did, I would also just rip up the original one too. If he went out and just bought another license, thats where the problem starts. Because according to Victoria, there are two licenses assigned to his hunter number.

When getting the replacement license I am sure they would send in a form to Victoria saying this is the new license and then there is still only one license to your number.

BHB

elkdom
08-05-2008, 10:02 AM
Oh brother.. I don't believe all this......

Destroy the first one. Esp. if you haven't bought any tags. Just shred it. Done. You have one booklet.

"SHREDDING IT" wont remedy the problem, all licences and tags have receipt copy sent to Victoria from the Vendor where licences were purhased! If the MOE happens to become aware you purchased 2 hunting licences in 1 hunting season! your goose is cooked! BIGTIME! do the right thing, visit the nearest CO's office, phone for apointment if you must! Get the matter handeled , because if they " ding" you for purchasing 2 resident licences they will be nasty! besides all CORE coarses make it clear, NEVER buy new tags if yours are lost or destroyed! Clearly explained in core intructions and in the Hunting regs, fill out proper forms at BC gov't agent , then aquire new replacement licence and species tags! and even if the MOE doesent find the problem this season,they may find it next season or even 3 years from now,there is no STATUTE of LIMITATIONS on wildlife infractions! so handle the problem now and sooner the better!

fozzy
08-05-2008, 12:21 PM
I accidently did the same thing a few years ago. I bought a liscence in the spring and forgot when fall came around. I realized the mistake and called up the CO.. He took the first one with the bear tag and later sent me a letter stating that it is illegal to hold more than one liscence.
Give them a call and do the righty thing. Better than getting pinched later.

BiG Boar
08-05-2008, 12:32 PM
I would head for mexico my friend and dont hunt for the next 20 years. Just kidding. I think you will be fine if you do the right thing, just blame it on some stupid clerk at walmart saying that he would sell you a replacement.

todbartell
08-05-2008, 12:54 PM
if you lose hunting or fishing license you're supposed to buy a duplicate license for $10 and any tags you had before can be bought again for $10 each.

wolverine
08-05-2008, 02:42 PM
I'm with Elkdom on this. DON'T shred that licence. Go to the CO's. They'll tell you what you have to do. That may include going back to the Govt. Agent but go to the CO's first. Get directions from them and record the name of the CO that gave them to you. Get his contact info too. Then if you have to go to the Govt. Agent you will have something to throw at them when they either don't know what to do or try and stiff you because they don't know what to do. No offence intended to anyone who might work at a Govt. Agent office but most of them are clerks and don't have a clue about what you need to get remedied. Not their fault. They can't know everything but sometimes you get one that will try and bullshit their way through things. Interesting advice in some of these posts. Nice to see that most everyone wants to do the right thing.

browningboy
08-05-2008, 02:56 PM
I would get a third, don't listen to the others! Just think of all the tags you would have??:p

threedhunter
08-05-2008, 02:57 PM
as an instuctor, i recomend that you call your co first, follow his instructions to the letter.it may not be what you want done but to be legal this year or maybe anytime in the future. you may lose the newer licence with the tags , but the alternative is pretty well no future hunting for a prescribed time .if apprehended before looking after this and asked for your licence you may recieve the maximum penalty.bad stuff for an honest mistake. that mistake is open to the co,s interpretation though, and may not be favorable. jm.02.threedhunter:-(