PDA

View Full Version : coyote hunting

notyalc
08-04-2008, 07:57 PM
Ive always wondered what everyone does with the coyotes they kill. Its just been a question that i've always been curious about.

todbartell
08-04-2008, 08:07 PM
greyhound them to rishu

killman
08-04-2008, 08:12 PM
I sell mine to the local restaurants. They make awesome sweet and sour.

BigBanger
08-04-2008, 08:23 PM
Reload and look for anther to kill .

bsa30-06
08-04-2008, 08:26 PM
send it to rishu pepper or ask him for his secret coyote recipes.

ibehuntin
08-04-2008, 08:27 PM
I give mine to a trapper buddy of mine. His daughter skins them out and prepares the hide for sale. When sold she pockets the cash.

notyalc
08-04-2008, 08:38 PM
So do alot of people on here just shoot them and leave them?

The Dawg
08-04-2008, 08:39 PM

Is someone fishing?

notyalc
08-04-2008, 08:46 PM
lol no im just trying to figure out what everyones does with them. I mean you cant eat them, and why would somebody want to pay out to get them turned into rugs or anything else.

todbartell
08-04-2008, 08:55 PM
I give them to a trapper

Gateholio
08-04-2008, 09:02 PM

Unlawful

Read page 18 of the 2008 regs....

notyalc
08-04-2008, 09:02 PM
After you kill one how long do you have to give it to a trapper before it becomes useless?

BigBanger
08-04-2008, 09:13 PM
You get it them as soon as possible .

BCBear
08-04-2008, 09:30 PM
I heard that Randy Anderson insulated an entire apartment building with em

todbartell
08-04-2008, 10:00 PM
After you kill one how long do you have to give it to a trapper before it becomes useless?

if you live up north where your daytime highs can be -20, you got some time

Moosenose
08-04-2008, 10:04 PM

If you want to do it right, then skin them right away, flesh them and salt and / or freeze the hide. If the meat just inside the hide spoils or rots, the hide will slip fur. This time of the year they are not worth very much. Prime is Nov thru March.
They make beautiful garments, coats, vests, hats, etc. If you are curious what a coyote coat looks like check out your local fur shop like Holt Renfrew. I have a picture of one, but it's 300KB, too big.

anglo-saxon
08-04-2008, 10:55 PM
In Alberta they were just basically vermin, there were so many of them. They'd come in, sniffing around after my pups. I'd hit them with a .243 58gr moly ballistic tip, or a 40gr .223 of the same bullet. They made a hell of a mess of those dogs and certainly there was not much worth keeping. They stayed where they dropped. Same with foxes.

Rules like this out in the country got bent all the time. Coyotes were a fairly major problem for livestock, esp. sheep, and they caused most of those problems at night. Hence, many of thsoe coyotes were taken by a rifle fired over the top of a 2 million candle-power spotlight, usually balanced on the top of a fence post. No easy task, but with practice, I got reasonably good at it. The dogs would indicate the direction of the coyote, then zing, on went the spot light with the rifle already over the top of it, resting on the rubber T-handle. Average time between the light going on and the shot being made was 2 seconds.

Pete
08-05-2008, 02:02 AM
If you want to do it right, then skin them right away, flesh them and salt and / or freeze the hide. If the meat just inside the hide spoils or rots, the hide will slip fur. This time of the year they are not worth very much. Prime is Nov thru March.
They make beautiful garments, coats, vests, hats, etc. If you are curious what a coyote coat looks like check out your local fur shop like Holt Renfrew. I have a picture of one, but it's 300KB, too big.

Do not salt the hides. Skin them out as quickly as you can, remember that skinning them fresh is a heck of a lot easier than doing them a day or two later. Roll up the hide fur out, double bag and freeze. Salting is for those that are out in the field with no freezer close by.

Mr. Friendly
08-05-2008, 02:15 AM
read a wicked coyote recipe!

you'll need two oak slabs (like the cedar you use for salmon, only out of oak). marinate overnight with your favorite marinade. soak the two oak slabs in water overnight also.

next evening when it's time to cook, finalize any spicing you want (garlic n the like) and do a final basting of the marinated coyote. fire up the bbq and when it's hot put the first slab on. wait till it starts to spit and crackle (put out any flare ups with a water bottle) and then put the coyote on and lay the other oak slab on. cook the coyote for 8 minutes per pound per side and flip and do the same.

when done, throw out the coyote and eat oak slabs! :D

hunter1947
08-05-2008, 04:56 AM
I live on V island and don't have that opportunity to hunt them.
I wish that there were yots here to hunt.

Doe See Doe
08-05-2008, 06:27 AM
We got ours tanned and tacked it to the wall in the rec room.

BiG Boar
08-05-2008, 07:04 AM
I give them to the road runners around my place to eat.

anglo-saxon
08-05-2008, 11:35 PM
done, throw out the coyote and eat oak slabs! :D

That one may well become a classic! Nice job!

Nothing bar near-starvation could induce me to eat dog, especially some mangy flee-bitten cur like a coyote. Mind you, I have inadvertantly eaten at some dodgy restaurants in the UK over the years. One or two were shut down under a cloud of suspicion. Of course, the stories of "shep" hanging in the cold room abounded (never confirmed of course). "Dog-eater" was a lways a derogatroy term where I came from.

Most of the coyotes I have seen up close (and foxes, for that matter) were litterally seething thick with fleas. After a while, I didn't even bother going out to them. Shot 'em like gophers. I heard the "whap" of the bullet passing through them and that was good enough. The carcases didn't last long out there anyway.

rishu_pepper
08-05-2008, 11:52 PM
greyhound them to rishu

send it to rishu pepper or ask him for his secret coyote recipes.

Seriously, give it to me. I'm still waiting to bag my first so I can give it to an old-timer friend who used to cook the canine back in HK, he'll stew it up nice for me. If you want in, let me know. :-D

This is not a joke post. :biggrin:

Wolfman
08-06-2008, 12:20 AM
Seriously, give it to me. I'm still waiting to bag my first so I can give it to an old-timer friend who used to cook the canine back in HK, he'll stew it up nice for me. If you want in, let me know. :-D

This is not a joke post. :biggrin:

Brian you are a madman ;-)

Wolfman

Moosenose
08-12-2008, 09:46 AM
Do not salt the hides. Skin them out as quickly as you can, remember that skinning them fresh is a heck of a lot easier than doing them a day or two later. Roll up the hide fur out, double bag and freeze. Salting is for those that are out in the field with no freezer close by.

Pete ole buddy, you know I respect your opinion on this subject because after all, you showed me the ropes.
If you are shipping hides to auction, they generally don't want salted hides. If you are shipping them to a tanner, salting is OK (according to the Vernon tanner, and the furrier I use for garments)
You also pointed out that these hides have to be fleshed out completely to keep the fur from slipping. So, if you are going to freeze the hide unsalted, flesh it out.
Getting back to the subject of the thread, what do you do with the coyotes? Here is a shot of a warm winter garment worn by my trapping partner. She didn't want her face on the internet, wanted more focus on the coat.
With help from Mr Friendly I was able to shrink the file size.

Mr. Dean
08-12-2008, 10:15 AM
lol no im just trying to figure out what everyones does with them. I mean you cant eat them, and why would somebody want to pay out to get them turned into rugs or anything else.

And I say why wouldn't you?
Nothing wrong about utilizing an animal that you have killed. Be it something to practice skinning on or hide prep. Yotes make good coats, slippers and underware.

Pete
08-12-2008, 10:16 AM
As a trapper I am glad to take them as long as the quaility is reasonable. I don't mind the holes I am very good with a needle and thread. Head shots are difficult to fix, the bone shards are tough to get off the hide. Shoot them through the body. Believe me you are not going to get rich doing Coyotes. They are tougher to skin the longer they are left, try to get them to a trapper ASAP as well if left too long they will start to turn very quickly.

Mr. Friendly
08-12-2008, 01:20 PM
underwear, Mr. Dean? do tell me more!