PDA

View Full Version : Fishing near Kelowna

Cappy
08-04-2008, 10:35 AM
Guys and Gals;

I'm visiting family in the Westbank area and thought I would take the kids somwhere to do a little fishing. Other than the obvious big lake in front of me are there any spots in the region I could take them fishing from the shoreline? Any suggestions would be appreciated, not looking for any secret spots.

Fisher-Dude
08-04-2008, 11:32 AM
Try Jackpine Lake or Bear (Lambly) Lake. Bear has perch and trout, Jackpine has trout. Or, even easier, Shannon Lake is 5 minutes from downtown Westbank and has a kid's trout area as well as perch and bass throughout the lake. All are fishable from the shore.

lucky07
08-04-2008, 03:17 PM
ya... shannon lake has bass ... thatd be the way to go if you got kids IMO ... easier to catch lol

Cappy
08-04-2008, 05:39 PM
Thanks guys, looks like Shannon Lake is about 5min down the road from the parents place. Should be perfect.

Fisher-Dude
08-04-2008, 06:04 PM
We've been successful in establishing a kid's trout area on Shannon. It's netted off to the rest of the lake and stocked with catchable rainbows. Loads of kids have been introduced to fishin' here the past couple of years, with club volunteers lending a hand.

A few of those trout have found their way into the main part of the lake, and have plumped up nicely. ;)

winbuckhunter
08-13-2008, 10:16 PM
i heard some stories about these escaped rainbows... seems to be some good ones in there...

Stone Sheep Steve
08-14-2008, 04:45 AM
They pumped 2000 bows straight into the Shannon lake this year while they were stocking the bay.
The pond net should have been removed by now as the bay temps would be approaching lethal temps for bows. Flinch should know more.

And as FD said they are plumping up nicely:smile:.

Just watch out for swimmers' itch. I had my pontoon boat out for a summer's eve fish a few years ago and and skipped the waders. I ended up with a gazillion bites from my knees down:sad:.

Just glad I didn't dangle other parts into the water:-o.

SSS

Flinch
08-14-2008, 06:42 AM
Net was out on fathers day, but the bay had warmed up considerably by that point, so they were not very active in that part. I figure about 300-500 escaped when we pulled the net in '07. Those grew very well, with one confirmed at 5.25lb this spring. Like SSS said, 2000 directly into the lake plus another few hundred escapees this year and I think we ahve the makings of apretty good, local fishery. Next winter and spring when the trout fishing picks up, should show some good ones.

Fisher-Dude
08-14-2008, 12:19 PM
Just watch out for swimmers' itch. I had my pontoon boat out for a summer's eve fish a few years ago and and skipped the waders. I ended up with a gazillion bites from my knees down:sad:.

Just glad I didn't dangle other parts into the water:-o.

SSS

Yeah, and GG got his "rash" from looking for his golf ball. You married guys bring home some pretty good stories to your significant others. :roll: