PDA

View Full Version : Just back from sheep hunt

Gateholio
08-03-2008, 09:36 PM
Well, here is my sheep hutn in a nutshell...

My buddy Steve and I didn't have much time, (work stuff) so we took a calculated risk. Neither of us had been to this area before, but we heard some good stuff, so we put all our eggs in one basket, and off we went, drove up north around Ft Nelson.

Flew in, unpacked and had a well deserved rest.

Hiked like crazy for a day and a half. Crossed a few rivers, Had to detour a grizzly kill when we saw eagles and ravens fly out about 200 yards away (not spooked by us) so we made the wise decision to detour.

Climbed 7/8th's up a big mountain, often using hands and knees to crawl up the almost vertical slope, then dug out a couple of beds on the side of it, and laid to rest for the night, after a couple of MH meals.

Woke up well rested, scarfed down some MH omelettes and headed the rest of the way up, getting there early on opening day.

We had a short rainstorm, so covered up for a bit, then trudged up along the ridge.

Steve was in front and slithered up behind some buckbrush that hid him for a basin with a little cliff behind it, and he motioned for me to get down, so I did, dropped my pack and slithered forward with rifle and LRF in hand.

4 rams -2 smaller, 2 legal, 1 pretty decent. Big enough for me, the novice sheep hunter, anyway....We were about 800 yards away.

Steve was checking them out with the spotter, planning for a stalk, when over the cliff, something popped up..then another, and another.

3 hunters (looked to be a guide, wrangler and client)

They had probably glassed them from the other side of the mountain, and headed up behind them. The sheep were in between us, but they were closer, although it didn't look like they could see the larger ram from where they were.

We checked it out and figured we could put a stalk on them, but since the other guys were closer to the rams, we elected to pull out.

We glassed another couple of rams on an adjacent mountain, one a really nice one, but it would take us a day to get down and back around, and at least one more day to get to the base and part way up this long, steep mountian, and another day to stalk them, if they stayed put. We didn't have the time, so we used our sat phone (it worked!!) and called for a pick up the next day.

Bummer, but it was a good trip, anyway. Saw about 50 elk, lots of grizz sign, half a dozen moose, goats, a dozen caribou and found that a black bear had followed our tracks right to where we headed up the mountain. Sneaky thing...;)

Got a good workout, and found the MR pack was awesome (very comfy with 50 lbs on my back crawling up the mountain, no discomfort whatsover from the pack)

REALLY liked the Kifaru gun bearer system until the part that attaches to your shoulder strap ripped off when it got a good impact, then it started to annoy me. I made a feild repair and it worked okay, but not perfect.

I had lost the nozzle from my camelback water pouch recently and tried to pick one up en route, but couldn't find one, so I bought a "North of 49" or something Camelback copy form BACKCOUNTRY sports in FSJ, but the thing leaked like hell...so I left it at camp. (PS BACKCOUNTRY has moved to a new store and it's pretty awesome-great service, too)

Picked up a new SITKA shirt to wear (apparently as good as UNDERARMOUR but not stinky) Well, it's smells a bit, but maybe not so bad as most poly pro. Certainly not stink free, if you are exerting yourself...I'm thinking I need to try some more merino wool stuff. The shirt worked well, I liek the zipper that can open up when you are hot, and it dried out reasonably quick.

MH meals remain pretty good.

MSR stove still works fine.

Siltarp is still the quickest, smallest, lightest shelter you can find...

Homemade power bars with fast and slow acting protein, carbs and sugars were a real boon, once again. Like eating a ham sandwhich, an apple and a candy bar. I should market these things!;)

Used a new North Face Flight Series tent, a single wall tent. It was nice and light, but even with both doors and top ventilation flaps open there was condensation in the AM. Not a big deal as we weren't in really nasty weather, anyway, but something to note. I still keep coming back to tarps as it is what I used as I grew up, but I was happy to have the bug netting, as the bugs were BAD.

Custom Van Gorkum boots worked well, but I still got a blister on my left heel. Interestingly, I got a blister on my right heel during a previous hike up a steep mountain a week ago..both times wearing a thin inner sock and a heavier outer sock. For the trip down the mountain and back out (12 hours) I used only a heavy sock and no liner, and, while the blisters didn't heal, I didn't create new ones, either. Previous shorter hikes using only one sock had not given me blisters, so I'm wondering about the 2 sock system, which I have used for years. BTW, I was aware of the blisters, but they never really hurt that much. Was more aware of some stiffness in my legs after the descent. There was none after the first day of uphill travel, which of course demonstrates that descent of steep terrain is often very taxing on the muscles.

So, no ram. Can't complain too hard, as we accomplished most of what we set out to do- Hike like hell, cross rivers, see game, climb mountains, find good rams and have a damn good time...
:lol:

Untouchable
08-03-2008, 10:07 PM
Sounds like a hell of an adventure. Congrats on a great trip. We all know you would've knocked a couple rams down had some other guys not been there. Weird how you come across other hunters in moments like that. Those rams were probably 7/8 years old, what are the chances you encounter other people stalking them the same day of their demise? Good on you for pulling out. Pulling out is the way to do it... when other hunters are there first.

Gateholio
08-03-2008, 10:10 PM
Oh yeah..I have some fun pics to follow, but no trophy shots;-)

lip_ripper00
08-03-2008, 10:10 PM
[quote=Gatehouse;310379]
Homemade power bars with fast and slow acting protein, carbs and sugars were a real boon, once again. Like eating a ham sandwhich, an apple and a candy bar. I should market these things!;)

damn I am tired just reading about your adventure:razz:. Sorry about no sheep, sounds like you had a great time, sheep hunt is on my to do list and I hope family responsabilaty lets me have the chance before I am too old to climb said mountains. Remember THIS THREAD SUCKS WITH OUT PICTURES. Thanks for the report:shock:

Tarp Man
08-03-2008, 10:18 PM
Clarke, that was a good capture of what you were up to. Definitely need pictures, though. I am curious about your energy bars... is the recipe in the HBC cookbook?

Gateholio
08-03-2008, 10:35 PM
Nope,not in the cookbook....I rarely write non work related recipes (think 20 gallons of soup):wink: Since I don't usually follow recipes for *cooking*, but in *baking* you must follow the recipe.

I developed them myself, although there are plently of online sources for "homemade power bars"

Mine just take it a bit further, combining fast acting protein, sugars and carbs, and slower acting "bottom end" proteins.:tongue:

srupp
08-03-2008, 10:51 PM
Thanks Gate...I ALWAYS enjoy your hunting stories..enjoyable and informnative..well done....CRAP when everything goes great and someone shows up way back in there to change plans..

Well done BRO. Thanks for sharing...Im impressed again..cant wait for the photos..gives me inspiration for my sheep pack in hunt.

regards

Steven

todbartell
08-03-2008, 11:35 PM
looking forward to the pics of your failure :lol:

LeverActionJunkie
08-03-2008, 11:58 PM
Thanx for sharing your trip with us, sounds like a great time for sure. Definately jealous I gotta get off of my butt soon. look forward to the pics.

rishu_pepper
08-04-2008, 12:01 AM
looking forward to the pics of your failure :lol:

Thank you sir, for again providing me with a new sig.

Maybe next time Gatehouse can bring TB, then there will be certain success? :razz:

todbartell
08-04-2008, 12:03 AM
strap me into his backpack so I don't have to hike up that mountain and I will be there

BlacktailStalker
08-04-2008, 12:36 AM
Right on, it was successfull in many ways.
At least you know the area holds rams.
Nothing better than the first trip of the year under your belt to get the blood flowing for the trips to come.

Gateholio
08-04-2008, 01:11 AM
strap me into his backpack so I don't have to hike up that mountain and I will be there

You are just a tiny imp. Under 200 lbs..To carry you up a mountain would be easy...
8)

Orangethunder
08-04-2008, 01:15 AM
I cant wait for the pics. I'm 235 so if TB doesn't go can I get a ride up:grin:?

hunter1947
08-04-2008, 05:05 AM
GH It sounds like you had one hell of a good trip ,good for you two..

I would love to see some of the pic from your trip when you have time to put them up.http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon12.gif

mark
08-04-2008, 08:21 AM
Did you only spend 2 days on the mountain... did I read this right? Sounds pretty short considering the long drive to get there! Did the outfitters get them rams???

Kechika
08-04-2008, 08:27 AM
lol.3 day Stone hunt????Admit it you missed the couch and T.V

Gateholio
08-04-2008, 09:29 AM
Seems short -4 days in the bush- and it was... but if I had taken the ram it would have worked out exactly as planned:p

Like I said, it was a calculated risk. Didn't have time to do a 14 day tour of the mountain range. And yes, I missed the TV.:lol:

Not sure if the outfitter took the rams. From where they were, they would have had to wait a few hours until they got up, moved around and picked one slope or the other to feed on, then they could have stalked. After awhile we just backed out.:frown:

MattB
08-04-2008, 09:44 AM
Thats funny, my brother called yesterday and they were back from their "sheep hunt" too! At least you saw some legal rams though and actually climbed up some mountains :cool:

Gateholio
08-04-2008, 09:56 AM
Thats funny, my brother called yesterday and they were back from their "sheep hunt" too! At least you saw some legal rams though and actually climbed up some mountains :cool:

You sure they weren't looking for cougars?
:biggrin:

bsa30-06
08-04-2008, 11:02 AM
Sounds like a successfull trip to me.Lookin forward to the pictures.

Jelvis
08-04-2008, 01:18 PM
Sounds like moocho fun times with good leg excercises and majestic scenery, good one. Brah. Kewl. Jelly-vision

Kody94
08-04-2008, 01:20 PM
Welcome back Gates. Sounds like a heckuva good time to me. Well worth the effort. A shorty hunt is FAR better than no hunt at all!! My plans were only a little longer than yours if I could have made it, but after so many years of saying its not worth it if you can't get at least 10 days, I have changed my tune considerably.

Cheers,
4ster

palmer
08-04-2008, 02:45 PM
Just got my MR last week ,so I am very happy to hear that it worked well for you. Sounds like a great trip
Palmer

Kitimat Killer
08-04-2008, 04:42 PM
sounds like you guys had a hard working trip but thats always sheep hunting to bad for the guides being there or sounds like you both would of had your sheep nice try on the quick go
kk

Gateholio
08-04-2008, 05:26 PM
Welcome back Gates. Sounds like a heckuva good time to me. Well worth the effort. A shorty hunt is FAR better than no hunt at all!! My plans were only a little longer than yours if I could have made it, but after so many years of saying its not worth it if you can't get at least 10 days, I have changed my tune considerably.

Cheers,
4ster

Thats how we looked at it. :smile:

We could go and make an opportunity, or stay home and watch TV.:tongue:

http://photos-879.ll.facebook.com/photos-ll-sf2p/v216/146/116/556330879/n556330879_1150671_5355.jpg

Cracking jokes after our withdrawal

http://photos-879.ll.facebook.com/photos-ll-sf2p/v216/146/116/556330879/n556330879_1150734_6163.jpg

Gateholio
08-04-2008, 05:33 PM
This is my favorite picture of the whole trip, and it was an accident. We had set the self timer, and took a couple of posed shots, but it kept clicking away.

I think the unplanned picture sums up the whole trip:

2 good friends, laughing our asses off, in one of the best places in the world...

http://photos-879.ll.facebook.com/photos-ll-sf2p/v216/146/116/556330879/n556330879_1150736_7251.jpg

browningboy
08-04-2008, 05:42 PM
Looks like nice country, lots of feed on the hills for the game anyhow, too bad no meat but all in all must have been a hell of an experience!

Curious, how muchy for the flight and was it extra for "demand" pick up? (meaning calling in when ready) or was it a call for location only?

Gateholio
08-04-2008, 05:51 PM
???-what kind of rifles & cartridges –did you have a SPOT- were the sat phones Globalstar-see any wolves or heard them at night-any 6 pt elk or caribou-.........
Thanks for sharing. Now I really have itchy feet!

I was using my custom 300WSM mdl 70 with 130gr TTSX bullets at 3500FPS

Steve was using his (too heavy) :-P 300RUM with 180gr TSX bullets at 3250 FPS

Saw several 6 pt elk and caribou

Not much wolf sign

Used Globalstar, and it worked okay for a call form top of mountain, dropped lower valley call.

No SPOT yet...

Kody94
08-04-2008, 05:58 PM
This is my favorite picture of the whole trip, and it was an accident. We had set the self timer, and took a couple of posed shots, but it kept clicking away.

2 good friends, laughing our asses off, in one of the best places in the world...

http://photos-879.ll.facebook.com/photos-ll-sf2p/v216/146/116/556330879/n556330879_1150736_7251.jpg

Great shot Gates. That's one of those pics that captures the moment alright!

Cheers,
4ster

Bighorn hunter
08-04-2008, 06:54 PM
Great shot Gates. That's one of those pics that captures the moment alright!

Cheers,
4ster

sucess cannot be measured buy a kill, looks like you guys had a blast

bhh

scoot
08-04-2008, 07:11 PM

Man that is awesome Gate. Your right, seen photo's like that lets people know it was all good times!
Things look prety green up there. How were the water levels?

Avalanche123
08-04-2008, 09:11 PM
Very enjoyable pictures. Looks like it was a short but sweet trip!

Kechika
08-04-2008, 09:20 PM
Damn your a handsome man Gate;-)

Gateholio
08-04-2008, 09:21 PM
Here is Steve attempting to repair his video camera, using my Leatherman. the teeny screwdriver on the new Leathermans are handy for this stuff.Steve was amazed such a thing existed, and I was amazed that it worked!

http://photos-515.ll.facebook.com/photos-ll-sf2p/v298/111/96/526315515/n526315515_1560723_1573.jpg

Here is a pic of a nice ram on a neighboring mountain. He is that wee speck on the horizon!:tongue:

http://photos-515.ll.facebook.com/photos-ll-sf2p/v298/111/96/526315515/n526315515_1560754_1574.jpg

And this is our camp, dug into the side of the mountain.

http://photos-515.ll.facebook.com/photos-ll-sf2p/v298/111/96/526315515/n526315515_1560753_8305.jpg

Gateholio
08-04-2008, 09:37 PM
Damn your a handsome man Gate;-)

Well, *I* know that, of course, but it's always nice to have a little reaffirmation :wink:

hunter1947
08-05-2008, 05:22 AM
I was using my custom 300WSM mdl 70 with 130gr TTSX bullets at 3500FPS

Steve was using his (too heavy) :-P 300RUM with 180gr TSX bullets at 3250 FPS

Saw several 6 pt elk and caribou

Not much wolf sign

Used Globalstar, and it worked okay for a call form top of mountain, dropped lower valley call.

No SPOT yet...
I see two hunters that are cameoed up from head to toe.
GH have you got any other pic of the mountains and Vallie's etc ???

hansol
08-05-2008, 11:44 AM
Clark what kind of pack is that that your buddy Steve has? I've never seen those before, and the external pockets look like they would be really handy! -Cameron

Gateholio
08-05-2008, 11:56 AM
Clark what kind of pack is that that your buddy Steve has? I've never seen those before, and the external pockets look like they would be really handy! -Cameron

I would imagine it's one of the most common packs ever- A vintage Camp trails pack on a black aluminum tubing packframe.:lol:

He's eyeing up my Bull Pac for guide season right now. ;-)

Gateholio
08-05-2008, 10:00 PM
Here is a pic of some elk, moose caribou that we walked up to.

I am signalling "so close to open season, they sure are lucky":-P

http://photos-879.ll.facebook.com/photos-ll-sf2p/v216/146/116/556330879/n556330879_1150789_5536.jpg

Tikka7mm
08-05-2008, 10:51 PM
awesome....

jml11
08-06-2008, 07:52 AM
cool photo, three species hanging out together, don't see that often!

Orangethunder
08-06-2008, 04:30 PM
Here is a pic of some elk, moose caribou that we walked up to.

I am signalling "so close to open season, they sure are lucky":-P

At first glance they look like cattle and horses.

Gateholio
08-06-2008, 04:53 PM
At first glance they look like cattle and horses.

Make sure you take extra care to identify your targets this year, especially if you are hunting around ranching/farming areas.:wink:

Orangethunder
08-06-2008, 05:56 PM
Make sure you take extra care to identify your targets this year, especially if you are hunting around ranching/farming areas.:wink:

What you dont like 'slow' elk steak:shock:????

Gateholio
08-06-2008, 07:52 PM
White Faced Moose is deliscious!:p