PDA

View Full Version : Do you kill squaw fish?

mark
08-01-2008, 06:54 PM
When I was taught to fish as a kid, it was simply a given that if you cought a squaw or a sucker you just killed it and chuck em! No-one Ive ever met in my life did any different. Now I havnt done a heck of alot of freshwater fishing in the past 10 years, but have things changed???? I was recently at a little water front barb-que here on okanagan lake, I spot a couple fishing rods in the boathouse. Using cheese, sausage ect. Im slamming squaws like no tomorrow, yeehaw, I felt like a little kid again :-). Of couse once landed, they get a big online swing and smash into the dock and pile up quickly. Now I believe im doing the lake a favor, removing the crap fish to help out the trout??? Apparently im the only one who felt that way. Everyone at the barby as well people at the neighbors dock start tearing into me about killing the fish, are you gonna eat all those, ect. Im like what??? They are just squaws, what planet are you from??? Try explaining this to a dozen or more people that know nothing about fish and see me as a fish murdering psyco! They actually told me to stop, like they were about to call the cops on me if I didnt!!! :confused: WTF is wrong with people?? Am I in the right or what?

Barracuda
08-01-2008, 07:07 PM
sorry dude but you are a little off kilter . Poor judgement in my books.

Moosenose
08-01-2008, 07:08 PM
Good work on the squawfish Mark. I smack them too. Seagulls will clean them up. Guaranteed they will eat trout eggs or Kokanee eggs given a chance, so, not only are they competition for the local game fish for food, they also clean out their eggs. We have a new name for Squawfish (to be politically correct of course), it is Northern Pikeminnow. One would think we could come up with a better name than this, after all, we already have a Northern Pike. I don't know if the squawfish is indigenous to Okanagon Lake, if it is, I could understand some people wanting them left alone.
Call your local fisheries biologist out of Penticton. He will tell you whether culling the squawfish is a good idea or not. PM me if you want his name and direct number.

Krico
08-01-2008, 07:10 PM
I bonk 'em:p

oddsix
08-01-2008, 07:39 PM
Thats all i do at eagan lake. catch em, kill em, chuck em. They eat so many of the wee little kokanees and trout. good on ya:)

elkdom
08-01-2008, 07:48 PM
When I was taught to fish as a kid, it was simply a given that if you cought a squaw or a sucker you just killed it and chuck em! No-one Ive ever met in my life did any different. Now I havnt done a heck of alot of freshwater fishing in the past 10 years, but have things changed???? I was recently at a little water front barb-que here on okanagan lake, I spot a couple fishing rods in the boathouse. Using cheese, sausage ect. Im slamming squaws like no tomorrow, yeehaw, I felt like a little kid again :-). Of couse once landed, they get a big online swing and smash into the dock and pile up quickly. Now I believe im doing the lake a favor, removing the crap fish to help out the trout??? Apparently im the only one who felt that way. Everyone at the barby as well people at the neighbors dock start tearing into me about killing the fish, are you gonna eat all those, ect. Im like what??? They are just squaws, what planet are you from??? Try explaining this to a dozen or more people that know nothing about fish and see me as a fish murdering psyco! They actually told me to stop, like they were about to call the cops on me if I didnt!!! :confused: WTF is wrong with people?? Am I in the right or what?

Thats right when you should have started biting off the heads off those fish! bet they would of BACKED OFF in a hurry! but it's good to know you have a kinder gentler side too! lmao

model88
08-01-2008, 07:59 PM
Whack em and stack em.....:smile:

bsa30-06
08-01-2008, 07:59 PM
I havent caught any in years but as a kid as i was always told to kill and chuck' em.

Steeleco
08-01-2008, 08:08 PM
As kids we used to leave them on the dock for the Shitehawks!!! Maybe you should have put some on the BBQ and told them to "put up of shut up!!"

Woodrow
08-01-2008, 08:30 PM
yea I allwasy kill em

Untouchable
08-01-2008, 08:59 PM
Feed em to the eagles...:twisted:

todbartell
08-01-2008, 09:01 PM
take needlenose and crush them behind the gills, they swim away funny. Also good is sticking a small twig up their ass. Maybe you should of done the latter to your bbq crew hahahaha

lucky07
08-01-2008, 09:20 PM
take needlenose and crush them behind the gills, they swim away funny. Also good is sticking a small twig up their ass. Maybe you should of done the latter to your bbq crew hahahaha

Now thats cruel ... But I'm not one to speak. Chop and chuck. Same for carp and stuff out east ... I wont even touch em (carp) Boot, pliers, chop, chuck, cast

MidnightRun
08-01-2008, 09:25 PM
Take a look at this link, its a Northern Pike Minnow (Squaw fish) sport reward program for Washington and Oregon. That program should be enough info to feed to your fish hugging BBQ buddies (:-P).

http://www.pikeminnow.org/index.html

ianwuzhere
08-01-2008, 09:36 PM
wow sweet link. id go out fishin for them for money like that..
ive been in a similar situation mark as i always bonk em too. there will always be people around that dont understand why we feel we should kill em all. Just frustrating thats all...

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r141/ianwuzherephotos/004-2.jpg
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r141/ianwuzherephotos/003-1.jpg

mark
08-01-2008, 10:37 PM
Baracuda??? Not sure where you grew up, but im glad to see your the minority here!
That link is cool for sure, if they had that here, Id quit my job and go fishing all summer, Im sure I could make a good living at it!

behemoth
08-01-2008, 10:50 PM
I've been wondering what these things were called for real for years. Tried cooking one once, holy f**k do they stink!!!!!! Bonk

BigBanger
08-01-2008, 10:55 PM
Stinky squaw must be bonked .

Barracuda
08-01-2008, 11:40 PM
Baracuda??? Not sure where you grew up, but im glad to see your the minority here!
That link is cool for sure, if they had that here, Id quit my job and go fishing all summer, Im sure I could make a good living at it!

What difference does it make where i grew up ??? or did you wanna figure out if i was an old flame or something ( i am always amused by this question) I am not a city person if that is what you are thinking but i do have the ability to read without moveing my lips so i guess i am not a country bumpkin either:tongue: .

Apart from the legalities of destroying said fish is certain circumstances I have always felt that if one destroys an animal even an undesired species that they should excersise some discretion and tact and respect the life they have taken .
I dont hoot and holler or make a silly specticle of myself when i dispatch an animal i treat it with the respect that they deserve.

It isnt the destruction of the animal it is the manner in which it was performed .

ps : although not a sport fish they are an indigenous fish to BC (not vancouver island )if that makes a difference .

BlacktailStalker
08-01-2008, 11:52 PM
Never caught one (not on the island) but I guess they rank right up there with dog fish and escaped atlantic salmon, bonk 'em and bon appetite for the bottom dwellers.
Actually mackeral too, although they are wicked halibut bait.

elkdom
08-02-2008, 12:06 AM

'todler' you makin people real nervous! lol

Wild one
08-02-2008, 08:04 AM
I bonk them.As a kid a friend and I would see how big of a pile we could make on shore by the end of the day.If you want to make use of them they work good for crab bait and my mom loved using them in her garden.

mcrae
08-02-2008, 08:09 AM
We killed them when we caught them as well. They use to get used in the garden as well...

Not on topic but is the "whitefish" a whole different critter?

Kechika
08-02-2008, 08:12 AM
As a young lad armed with a fishing rod and firecrackers my twisted imagination got the best of me:redface:Kill them....they are a pest

KodiakHntr
08-02-2008, 08:17 AM
Lot of places have "derbies" for the coarse fish....They usually go to trappers etc as bait...

In mackenzie they remove tens of thousands of 'em from Williston Lake over a weekend.

mountainman
08-02-2008, 08:20 AM
We killed them when we caught them as well. They use to get used in the garden as well...

Whitefish is a totally different species which are quite nice when smoked, being from Alberta we don't have Squaw fish here but my kids did enjoy catching them on the Fraser. I never killed them as I don't think that is what I should teach my kids at 5 and 6.

Lots of people kill and leave suckers here and also burbot.

I have no love for any invasive animal that is hard on any indiginous species but think we also have to have a balanced eco system.

bigelow
08-02-2008, 09:05 AM
Wheres' the club?

Brambles
08-02-2008, 09:17 AM
Squaws and Suckers get killed and left to the seagulls and other birds to sort them out.

You must have been surrounded by the Spineless Yuppie type!!

mrdoog
08-02-2008, 09:50 AM
Haven't caught a Squaw Fish in years. Usually bonked them.
I cooked one, nothing but bones.
While fishing at Carp Lake, we told some of the Americans fishing up there that they were called Dropjaw Trout, and there was no limit. They were sure proud of their catch at the end of the day.

Schmaus
08-02-2008, 09:50 AM
When i'm fishin with my crew, usually the suckers turn into a homerun derby with the paddles "PULL!!!"

spreerider
08-02-2008, 03:54 PM
feed em to the animals and its not a waste its food just not for humans.
help feed the seagulls :O

RMG
08-02-2008, 04:09 PM
Some of the most memorable fishin memories come from squawfish. It has always been something to watch a bald eagle or osprey, dive and take a squawfish that you have humanely dispatched and left floating on the lake surface. There used to be a paragraph in the regs. stating that course fish should be not be returned to the water alive.

Squawfish along with any other nuisance animal/fish always gets a quick and humanely dispatch. Never have I been one to watch any creature, no matter how much of a dislike I have for them, suffer while dying. There is just nothing fun, or funny about that.

NaStY
08-02-2008, 04:45 PM
Yup smack them and stack them. I watched a friend of mine pile them up on the fraser bank while we were sockeye fishing.

happygilmore
08-02-2008, 04:59 PM
I always bonk em.
My grandfather put them through a grinder, it took out alot of the smaller bones and made like a patte! Never tried it but he used to eat tongue too, never could stomach that.

ratherbefishin
08-02-2008, 05:30 PM
so,perhaps there is a use for them as mink food [I'd do it just so I could tell the anti fur people]

wolverine
08-02-2008, 06:29 PM
I've been wondering what these things were called for real for years. Tried cooking one once, holy f**k do they stink!!!!!! Bonk

*****........ now that's funny. FISH BASEBALL ANYONE?? I've killed my share of those buggers too. They're a real problem here at Cultus Lake. They kick the shit out of the Cultus sockeye run. Lake is full of the damn things. Maybe we should have an HBC fishing derby for them here this fall?
Fisheries biologist here would love us.

Dirty
08-02-2008, 06:36 PM
*****........ now that's funny. FISH BASEBALL ANYONE?? I've killed my share of those buggers too. They're a real problem here at Cultus Lake. They kick the shit out of the Cultus sockeye run. Lake is full of the damn things. Maybe we should have an HBC fishing derby for them here this fall?
Fisheries biologist here would love us.

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/sci/mehsd/projects/pikeminnow/updates_e.htm

Check this website out. They have a cull program at Cultus for the past 3 years. The have killed approximately 40,000 "Northern Pikeminnow" in 3 years.

wolverine
08-02-2008, 07:53 PM
Yeah I've seen the seiners out on the lake working it but I never did get down to the fisheries station by the bridge to find out how they made out. Thanks for the heads up on the website.

steelheadSABO
08-05-2008, 02:49 PM
kill em all
thats what they do at the squaw fish derby at cultus like they eat all the sockeye i catchem and chuck them far away from the water

308Lover
08-05-2008, 02:55 PM
Of corse the politically correct term is "Pike Minnows", Marc. Now that we know what to call them, then get on with using them for fertilizer. LOL

treeclimber
08-05-2008, 03:17 PM
kill em all

jml11
08-05-2008, 03:37 PM
I spent a summer working as a fisheries technician in Colorado and thought it was quite interesting and a little humorous that their pikeminnow (squaws as some of you have put it) are actually threatened are therefore fedreally protected. There are many recovery programs to try and rehab some of the populations. Dams are thought to be the main reason. They are a slightly different species than what we have but are of the same Genus.

http://wildlife.state.co.us/WildlifeSpecies/Profiles/Fish/PikeMinnow.htm

My collegues down there were kinda shocked to hear the we in B.C. typically kill them on-site.

ratherbefishin
08-05-2008, 03:44 PM
Maybe we should set up a charity and solicite donations to the ''save the endangered spotted pikeminnow'' [you add the ''spotted'' bit to make it sound more important]campaign-maybe get Pamela Anderson on side-she can bounce around and wave a banner[ok-a small one] or maybe we could go to Simon Frazer and organize a sit in protest....tell ya-there's gold in them thar squawfish-proving once again that one mans meat is another mans poison...but first-where can I apply to get funding for a ''study''?

frenchbar
08-05-2008, 03:50 PM
kill em all
thats what they do at the squaw fish derby at cultus like they eat all the sockeye i catchem and chuck them far away from the waterDid ya learn that from your dad The SUCKER SLAYER:-P:-P:-P

Muleycatcher
08-05-2008, 06:38 PM
Slay them in the hundreds up at the lake we have property on near 100 mile..we have little derby every year just for fun

browningboy
08-05-2008, 08:52 PM
You guys are all mean!:mrgreen:

EvanG
08-05-2008, 10:50 PM
Get the zap straps and underwater dynamite

Chuck
08-05-2008, 11:09 PM
Page 9 - Provincial Regulations. "It is unlawful to" Waste the fish you catch.
If your fish is not suitable for eating or if possession is illegal because of quotas, size limits or closed seasons, return the fish quickly and gently to the water. I'm pretty sure this includes suckers and those sun burnt trout (aka squaw fish).

rishu_pepper
08-06-2008, 12:12 AM
Can someone tell me where's the closest I can find these so-called squawfish? I'll kill 'em alright, it'll be decent for Chinese soup I gather :biggrin:

kishman
08-06-2008, 04:41 AM
Can someone tell me where's the closest I can find these so-called squawfish? I'll kill 'em alright, it'll be decent for Chinese soup I gather :biggrin:

Hatzic Lake's full of 'em, I don't even like touching the smelly buggers.

Dirty
08-06-2008, 06:39 AM
Give 'em to Rishu Pepper, He'll eat anything!:razz:

fin241
08-06-2008, 07:53 AM
We had a cabin on a small lake East of 100 Mile growing up. Each summer, we caught 100's of these swimmers. We'd toss 'em in a bucket in the boat and then dig a hole in the bush at the end of our day and fertilize the soil. To this day, the lake is still has no shortage of them.
Great way to get young kids into fishing as well.

brian
08-06-2008, 08:52 AM
You know I'm not a fisherman, I've never heard of the term squaw fish... call me PC but thats a pretty bloody racist term. I'm shocked that people here bandy it about so loosely without even thinking about it.

300WM
08-06-2008, 08:58 AM
I always kill "SQUAW" fish (lighten up brian...it's a pretty common term :razz:)

They also make excellent bait for ling.

browningboy
08-06-2008, 09:07 AM
You know I'm not a fisherman, I've never heard of the term squaw fish... call me PC but thats a pretty bloody racist term. I'm shocked that people here bandy it about so loosely without even thinking about it.

They've always been called "squaw fish", give me a break...racism...People look to bitch about anything nowadays!

Caveman
08-06-2008, 09:09 AM
I was raised to kill them as well. Is there any reference to them in the regs? I've heard of some people canning them but it'll be a cold day before I'd bother.

Fisher-Dude
08-06-2008, 09:30 AM
I used to catch bags full of them out of Okanagan Lake as a kid - we'd take them down to the Chinese laundromat on Leon Ave and the old fellow there would give us 25 cents a bag for them. 25 cents was a week's worth of candy in those days! :redface:

Barracuda
08-06-2008, 09:31 AM

It can only be construed as racist if you allow it to be racist .

Squaw originates from the Algonquin people meaning woman or young woman. Not sure why in this PC world that people have given power to a word beyond its scope of meaning.

BIGHUNTERFISH
08-06-2008, 10:01 AM
[quote=Fisher-Dude;311163]I used to catch bags full of them out of Okanagan Lake as a kid - we'd take them down to the Chinese laundromat on Leon Ave and the old fellow there would give us 25 cents a bag for them. 25 cents was a lifetime worth of condoms for me.:grin:

rishu_pepper
08-06-2008, 10:39 AM
Hatzic Lake's full of 'em, I don't even like touching the smelly buggers.

Give 'em to Rishu Pepper, He'll eat anything!:razz:

I know where my next fishing trip will be :p

brian
08-06-2008, 01:45 PM
They've always been called "squaw fish", give me a break...racism...People look to bitch about anything nowadays!
like I say, without even thinking about it!

It can only be construed as racist if you allow it to be racist .
Squaw originates from the Algonquin people meaning woman or young woman. Not sure why in this PC world that people have given power to a word beyond its scope of meaning.

Its not the term Squaw that is the problem it is the context, here Squaw is being referred to in the context of a very undesirable, hated, revolting fish that as many members here say should all be killed. The word is being given the power by its context. Listen my grandma refers to dried figs as "nigger toes". It was in common usage once, that doesn't stop it from being a racist term developed from a racist era. The term Jew is not racist in itself, but if you'd call these nasty bottom feeders "Jew Fish"... you'd bet I'd call that a racist term. As an outsider to this little fishing world, I'll call it like I see it.

Fisher-Dude
08-06-2008, 01:56 PM
I used to catch bags full of them out of Okanagan Lake as a kid - we'd take them down to the Chinese laundromat on Leon Ave and the old fellow there would give us 25 cents a bag for them. 25 cents was a lifetime worth of condoms for me.:grin:

BHF, did you get a deal on the small ones? :grin:

moosinaround
08-06-2008, 02:41 PM
Hell Yah!! Spent many a summer day feeding the eagles and bears at Shesta lake and Beaverly creek, West Lake. Used to sharpen up big treble hooks and jig em. Caught some big ones too! Guess it was a better way to spend the summer than sitting on the street corner smokin meth! Moosin

The Dawg
08-06-2008, 03:38 PM
The term Jew is not racist in itself, but if you'd call these nasty bottom feeders "Jew Fish"... you'd bet I'd call that a racist term. As an outsider to this little fishing world, I'll call it like I see it.

Just an FYI, there is a type called 'Jew Fish'...they are groupers, and a very desirable species to catch and eat....find that offensive still?

Caveman
08-06-2008, 03:45 PM
"Squaw Fish" or "Native American Fish" or maybe just "That nasty, slimy, scaly, boney, ugly mother of a fish" You be the judge. Pull your heads out of your butts and get over it. Is there a real name for it. Squaw Fish is the only one I have ever known and I've been fishing a long time now.

BIGHUNTERFISH
08-06-2008, 04:12 PM
I love eating Black cod.... ... I mean Sable fish .lol :lol:

browningboy
08-06-2008, 04:51 PM

The term Jew is not racist in itself, but if you'd call these nasty bottom feeders "Jew Fish"... you'd bet I'd call that a racist term. As an outsider to this little fishing world, I'll call it like I see it.

Political correctness BS like this is ruining our country, it is what it is, if you don't like it it...tough sh*t! People are way too worried about racism, as a white guy I have sooooo much reverse racism against me it's not even funny!( I would have been an RCMP officer many years ago but I was told I was white!) but best off I don't whine about stupid things like a "squaw fish" so I suggest you suck it up princess!:cool:

Just an FYI, there is a type called 'Jew Fish'...they are groupers, and a very desirable species to catch and eat....find that offensive still?

X2

steelheadSABO
08-06-2008, 08:37 PM
frenchbar i figured it out myself, my dad is the sucker slayer there is a new strain of no lip suckers now and they are very rare and can only be found in lillooet :)

Caveman
08-06-2008, 09:37 PM
Here is some info I found on the Northern Squawfish, and yes that is it's name not a racial slur as some would have us think.

Northern Squawfish Ptychocheilus oregonensis

If you fish the Fraser River frequently during the summer months, either for salmon or other coarse species, then most likely you have encountered this species. The Northern Squawfish is not usually targeted by BC anglers due to its poor eating quality. Often it is regarded as a pest because it competes indirectly with salmon anglers by feeding on fries and eggs. However, this species can grow to a very large size, and its tremendous fighting power can provide excellent sportfishing.

DESCRIPTION

The Northern Squawfish has a dark green or green-brown back, and a white/cream abdomen. The head is relatively long, approximately 22% to 23% of the total length. The eyes of adults are small. Its tail is distinctly forked. The fins are clear, however males display yellow/orange lower fins during spawning periods. Mature individuals generally have a rounded belly. Average size ranges between 30cm to 50cm or two to four pounds. However sizes up to 25 pounds have been recorded, and are generally found in large lakes.

DISTRIBUTION

The Northern Squawfish can only be found in BC and parts of Washington. It occurs in most of the major BC river systems, including Fraser, Skeena and Columbia. Smaller fish or young adults are also found in smaller streams. Large individuals are usually found in the interior lakes. Although a freshwater species, the Northern Squawfish can also be found in the estuary system as it gets carried down by the spring freshet.

BIOLOGY

Spawning periods for Northern Squawfish occur between May and July. They generally spawn in shallow gravel riverbed, along the lake shore or river bank. The fish tend to gather in large numbers, and each female will spawn with more than one male. The eggs are released near the bottom, and will settle on the ground eventually. The eggs will hatch in a week. Sexual maturation is reached in six years when they are about a foot long.
Squawfish are generally scavengers, and their diet ranges from small insects to large shiners. Young individuals (2cm - 10cm) will feed on insects until they grow larger. Fish that are in the middle size range will feed on plankton and small fish such as salmonoid fries and shiners. Large squawfish that live offshore will only feed on fish. During the salmon spawning season, they will also feed on eggs.

FISHING LOCATIONS

When fish for any species, it is important to know where to look for the fish. Squawfish will usually hang around the river shore, close to rocks near the bottom as a hiding area. They can be found in the entire Fraser system. When fishing in the Fraser estuary, look for Squawfish close to shore near structures such as rocks, logs, eel grass, pylons and piers. Due to the strong current in the main channel, they will usually choose slow water where no current exists. Many times, I have seen Squawfish chasing my bait/lures to few inches of water, right by where I was standing.
I fish along the lower Fraser River near the mouth frequently because it's right behind my backyard. One of my favorite spot is Garry Point Park in Richmond, right at the mouth, because the area is full of structures where fish can hide. The nearby piers and jetties are also excellent spots too. These include London's Landing and No. 3 Road Pier. They can be found anywhere along the dyke but you have a better chance to hook a big fish in protected or calm water.

FISHING TECHNIQUE

Prime time to fish for squawfish is between the months of May and September. However, I found that larger fish are usually caught between June and August. The fish that are caught before June are usually less than a foot long.
Squawfish can be great fun on light tackle, so my line is usually kept under 6lb. Your rod should be around 6 or 7 feet long, a small spinning reel with a nice drag is all you need. There are many ways to catch them, these techniques include spinning, float fishing, bottom fishing (bar fishing) and jigging. The easiest way is definitely float fishing. All you need is a light float with proper balanced weight, accompanied by some bait such as bread, worms, or roe. Drift the float near the rocks, and strikes will usually occur within seconds. This method is usually used in calm waters where no or little current exists. Bottom fishing can also be quite effective, but you risk the chance of loosing your tackle from snags. Again, a bar rig can be used with the above mentioned bait. You weight should be light, preferably below 1oz. Bottom fishing is used in waters where current is found. The key for both methods is to keep the bait close to the bottom, where the fish are.

My favorite method is definitely spinning because it's challenging. Spinning has the advantage of only hooking larger fish because the smaller fish will not attack a lure half of their size. Some of the lures I used include the croc spoons, Colorado spinners and Coho spoons. Choose your lures based on the colour of the water and the light intensity. If it's cloudy and the water is dirty, I would go for a orange or darker lure. If it's sunny and the water is fairly clear, then a silver or bright lure is used. Location is also a major factor too. If baitfish are found where you are fishing such as the Fraser River mouth, then I would go for a silver lure. Make sure the size of the lure matches the size of the fish. When spinning, keep your lure as close to the bottom as possible. Be prepare to strike as the lure gets closer to shore because that's where the fish are. The only disadvantage with spinning is that it is too "fast" for the squawfish. Squawfish have a tendency to hesitate before they strike. Many times I would see fish following my lure closely but will not strike until it's too late (when my lure is already out of the water)!

Jigging is also a popular method but again you risk the chance of snagging. Pink worms, orange worms, black worms are just some of my favorite jigs. To avoid snagging, you can attach a running float to your line with a stopper on top. Like crappy fishing, this keeps the jig suspends just above the bottom and still allows you to jig as the float slides along the line.

The 'Hummer'
08-07-2008, 08:38 AM
Political correctness BS like this is ruining our country, it is what it is, if you don't like it it...tough sh*t! People are way too worried about racism, as a white guy I have sooooo much reverse racism against me it's not even funny!( I would have been an RCMP officer many years ago but I was told I was white!) but best off I don't whine about stupid things like a "squaw fish" so I suggest you suck it up princess!:cool:

:wink:Good one.:!:

Dirty
08-07-2008, 08:46 AM

Its not the term Squaw that is the problem it is the context, here Squaw is being referred to in the context of a very undesirable, hated, revolting fish that as many members here say should all be killed. The word is being given the power by its context. Listen my grandma refers to dried figs as "nigger toes". It was in common usage once, that doesn't stop it from being a racist term developed from a racist era. The term Jew is not racist in itself, but if you'd call these nasty bottom feeders "Jew Fish"... you'd bet I'd call that a racist term. As an outsider to this little fishing world, I'll call it like I see it.

Complaining about "Squawfish" is like complaining about sports teams like the Chiefs, Atlanta Braves, and so on. I agree with BrowningBoy that this type of PC bullcrap is ruining our country. In a move to decrease racist tension I propose to rename the Northern Pikeminnow the Honkey Fish, latin Redneckus easiesttocatchus, as it is a wonderful fish for many juvenile rednecks to catch and learn to fish.

dans_1952
08-07-2008, 09:09 AM
hey you catch em, I eat em. I have an exellent canning recipe. Taste better than canned salmon. Call me, I'll pick them up. Two pounds or bigger. NOT JOKEN. 868-4985 or cell 826-4985 ask for DAN.

Fisher-Dude
08-07-2008, 09:26 AM

Bang on Brownie. BUT, I better not mention what we used to call it when we fished from the shore with a bobber and worm...

brian
08-07-2008, 09:57 AM
Just call me shocked. That it is in common usage is even more shocking for me. Then I hear you all got a Jew fish is... stunningly un-shocking anymore.

But as for PCness ruining our country? Really... someone saying handi-capable instead of crippled is ruining Canada? Come on get your head out of your ass drama queen. Your little comparison between a wee bit of white man racism vs all the shit we did to our native brothers and sisters through the last century is just staggeringly stupid. You are right about one thing, obviously this topic isn't worth any more time.

The 'Hummer'
08-07-2008, 10:16 AM
Your little comparison between a wee bit of white man racism vs all the shit we did to our native brothers and sisters through the last century is just staggeringly stupid.

Sort of an unfare comparison when we judge the deeds of yesteryear with todays standards. Not saying there isn't some justification for your claim, even though it was in the past century but it's like an comparison of apple & oranges.

mmcleodk
08-07-2008, 11:46 AM
as a status metis in BC my opinion on the political correctness of the word is that who gives a flying rats ass if anyone calls it a squaw fish? its no prejudice against us or first nations as the term hasn't been used as an insult in half a century, its just a term for an indigenous fish.

Browningmirage
08-07-2008, 12:19 PM
Just call me shocked. That it is in common usage is even more shocking for me. Then I hear you all got a Jew fish is... stunningly un-shocking anymore.

But as for PCness ruining our country? Really... someone saying handi-capable instead of crippled is ruining Canada? Come on get your head out of your ass drama queen. Your little comparison between a wee bit of white man racism vs all the shit we did to our native brothers and sisters through the last century is just staggeringly stupid. You are right about one thing, obviously this topic isn't worth any more time.

you are a nutter...And saying handi-cap is great...except when we have to apply it to every aspect of life...for example handicapped mayfly,

cripple:
<LI minmax_bound="true">A person or animal that is partially disabled or unable to use a limb or limbs: cannot race a horse that is a cripple.
anything that is impaired or flawed.
Things only have a negative connotation if you allow them to, their original meaning is often quite benign

ex *****:
1.strange or odd from a conventional viewpoint; unusually different; singular: a ***** notion of justice. 2.of a questionable nature or character; suspicious; shady: Something ***** about the language of the prospectus kept investors away. 3.not feeling physically right or well; giddy, faint, or qualmish: to feel *****.

And you know, i still use *****...i call a person ***** if they are acting in the above definition, i still call something crippled if it meets the above definition. All this political correctness bullsh** does is piss people off, and give normal words power beyond the scope of their actual definition.

Finally Squaw:squaw

"American Indian woman," 1634, from Algonquian (Massachuset) squa "woman" (cf. also Narraganset squaws "woman").

So, to make this all work, i think you are ***** regarding squawfish. Opinions such as these often cripple any constructive progress in society, and are utterly useless. Not to mention at least on this site, it is only a hindrance to try and be politically correct...

And squawfish: Any of several large cyprinid freshwater fishes of the genus Ptychocheilus, of western North America.

Deal with it

Browningmirage
08-07-2008, 12:21 PM
ok this is just freaking awesome, apparently que*er is offensive, it bleeped them all out...maybe squaw will be next on the black list

Wild one
08-07-2008, 01:39 PM
I am LMAO reading how a simple question turned into this all over the name squaw fish and yes that is what I call them.

Iron Glove
08-07-2008, 03:14 PM
We fish in Otter Lake where most people kill the damn things and toss them on the KVR for the Ospreys et al. We dispatch them as quickly as possible. No point in causing any living creature any unneeded pain.

Now my son who lives in a small interior town would say " We were ni---- fishin' in China Creek and we tossed the squaws on the road for the birds."

But then, he's a red neck so he can talk like that. :eek:

finish
08-07-2008, 03:20 PM
catch and release!!!! RIGHT ON THE E@#IN RIVER BANK!!!!!!

elkdom
08-07-2008, 03:55 PM
AHHHH! the sweet moosic of dooli'n banjos', bringsa tear to my eye! heh heh

ratherbefishin
08-07-2008, 03:57 PM
I think we are all missing the boat here-I say we start by going down to the states and set up a ''save the spotted Pikeminnow''foundation[your donations accepted here]What do you mean they aren't rare?-they are about as rare as the East Coast seals aren't they-and look at the millions of dollars of donations that brings in annually.Laugh if you want-there's a buck to be made here...but first we need a government funded study-and I'll need a boat, motor,new 4x4 diesel truck[got to think of the environment you know]camper,expense account[generous] staff-no don't go there-I'm married]yup-gonna do a ''study''....

springpin
08-07-2008, 07:03 PM
The Squaw fish....oops, Northern pikeminnow. Oh, I forgot what I was gonna say. Oh ya, about that Squaw fish........

The Dawg
08-07-2008, 07:27 PM

You complain about the racism in the word 'squawfish', yet you use the phrase 'you all got a Jewfish' so freely....shouldnt we be offended that you group 'us' ( I imagine that to mean Caucasian) with the term 'you all'?

Mulie_Hunter
08-07-2008, 07:34 PM
Oh yeah, Slayed hundreds of those things out of Francois lake. T'was a good time!

lucky07
08-07-2008, 07:44 PM
lol.... don't mean to hijack the thread but it's shit like this that make me wonder every now and then ... How the h3ll did the human race survive so long?

Sacrament guys wake up. What the h3ll does it matter if someone wants to call it squawfish. Shit ... my gramps still calls natives (oh sorry ... aboriginals :biggrin:) savages once in a while.

Squawfish ... racist ... holy crap. Those of you who think me calling a native man a squaw makes me racist, think of this. Why am I not allowed on Reservations? Native land? Land that is still in unresolved conflicts? Isn't that just as racist?

I'm french and have never been in any way offended by people calling me a french frog etc... you know the rest. Why the hell should I care.

One world, many people, we are all the same, everybody bleeds red.

Back to the original subject ... I have never caught a squaw fish and would probly bonk it on the head if I did. I moved here from Ontario and lemme tell you , when I catch a carp out there I bonk it on the head and throw it back. Same for sunfish and any other crap fish a sane man wouldn't eat. ... Havn't been raised to say squaw fish but it sounds better than pikeminnow. (northern) Pike are descent fish ... racist and insulting to them being put in the same category as those squawfish.... haha

Browningmirage
08-07-2008, 08:22 PM
now i am fully and completely impressed and confused...why is it that que*r is censored out, but full blown swear words are still going strong? This is intriguing...

***** shit fag (as in cigarette) *****...which one gets bleeped out?

lucky07
08-07-2008, 08:24 PM
shit apparently works but i censor it myself whatever you wrote before shit didn't come up just ******

lucky07
08-07-2008, 08:25 PM
***** shit fag (as in cigarette) *****...which one gets bleeped out?

those ones

GoatGuy
08-07-2008, 09:21 PM
hey you catch em, I eat em. I have an exellent canning recipe. Taste better than canned salmon. Call me, I'll pick them up. Two pounds or bigger. NOT JOKEN. 868-4985 or cell 826-4985 ask for DAN.

I tried one once.

That was the last time.

Muleycatcher
08-07-2008, 09:23 PM
Hahaha..now I remember why I log on here. to get my daily dose of drama. peace love dove..save the squaw..oops i mean pike minnow, now isnt that offensive to pikes since they are not garbage fish?? How dare we compare them to pikes!! hahaha stir stir stir..death to the squawfish!!!!!:-D

Rob
08-07-2008, 09:30 PM
I used to be able to go into the corner store and buy nigger babies for 1 cent a piece(im 35). Not sure what they are worth now but im sure if I went to the local store and asked for them Id get a funny look.Times have changed. I agree this whole PC world has swung way to far on the pendulem(sp?)Its still Christmas to me as well as Merry Christmas. I was surprised when I heard Walmart told all their employees that they would be greeting customers at Christmas with "Merry Christmas", good for them, everyone else has taking the shitty way out and reformed to PC. Not sure what my point was or who I agree with on this forum but times are changing and not always for the better, I dont want to lose my Canada because some immigrants are taking offence to my way of living in my Country. Rob

holmes76
08-07-2008, 09:55 PM
when i was a kid we used to catch the first one then cut it up into little pieces and use them as bait to catch more, which we used to kill and then either throw back in the water or take to the other side of the lake and feed the bears with them. I was always told that they eat the trout eggs so it was better to kill them.

unstable ryan
08-07-2008, 10:46 PM
I once caught one that was like 2 feet long and I didn't know what it was at first.. but a little figuring out and the crows ate it.

I think I did the river a favour.

Browningmirage
08-08-2008, 08:06 AM
those ones

the bleeps were que*er (without the star in it of course), which was meant to convey strange...interesting how other offensive words are still allowed though

outdoorswoman
08-12-2008, 11:09 PM
we have many annual course fish derbies here just to get rid of them.

sfire436
08-13-2008, 11:00 AM
I get a little frustrated when people fin a reason to make things into an issue, I found this when I googled "squaw"

Squaw is NOT an English word. It IS a phoenetic rendering of an Algonkian word that does NOT translate to "a woman's private parts." The word "squaw" - as "esqua," "squa," "skwa," "skwe" and other variants - traditionally means the totality of being female, not just the female anatomy. The word has been interpreted by modern activists as a slanderous assault against Native American women. But traditional Algonkian speakers, in both Indian and English, still say words like "nidobaskwa" = a female friend, "manigebeskwa" = woman of the woods, or "Squaw Sachem" = female chief. When Abenaki people sing the Birth Song, they address "nuncksquassis" = "little woman baby."

Thought that might be interesting

winbuckhunter
08-13-2008, 10:03 PM
you mean ( first nations trout ) haha...

i smack em off the dock too... usless, stinky little f@#$ers..

they eat all the minnows.. i live in Winfield so between me and you Mark i think we are doing the lake a favor!! caught a couple nice little rainbows today off shore with a grass hopper and a bobber.. it was a blast.. got sunburnt tho..

winbuck..

winbuckhunter
08-13-2008, 10:10 PM
NO MATTER WHAT THE NAME OF THE FISH IS.... KILL THEM ALL EVEN IF THE NAME WAS BEAUTY FISH (((( KILL THEM )))) THEY EAT ALL THE TROUT AND SALMON EGGS AND THE MINNOWS.. THEY ARE GARBAGE TO EAT, BONEY AND STINKY.. NO USE FOR OUR FRESH WATER FISHERIES!!!

winbuck..

open-sights
08-13-2008, 10:15 PM
I have never let one go alive, but I throw them back into the lake to feed the insects. I woulda laughed at the neighbors and thrown dead squaws at em!

Orangethunder
08-25-2008, 09:22 PM
Wow, what a read!!

We always bonked em for fertilizer. People often forget to fertilize trees near rec sites:mrgreen:.

Yes the are native to BC and they do stink and are boney. They also get huge in Adams lake, we got them up to 5lbs every summer.

Mark, I would have liked to have been at the BBQ, I think I would have started cooking them for everyone. See how they like them medium rare...

Fisher-Dude
08-25-2008, 09:33 PM
We always bonked em for fertilizer.

My mom had the nicest flowering hydrangeas on the block when we buried 'em in the garden. :wink:

wolverine
08-25-2008, 09:40 PM
I used to bring them home for Mom to put under her rose bushes. Them and cat fish and the roses grew like you wouldn't believe but the damned cats in the neighborhood wouldn't quit digging them up and they stuck something fierce. That was the end of the squaws under the roses. Hmm maybe should planted a few of those cats under there instead. Fish don't dig!

bcriverhunter
08-28-2008, 09:26 AM
thanks guys, that was dam entertaining!!:-D.....LOL!!.....i was going to ask a question about sockeyes in babine lake, but forgot what the question was??..LOL!

anyway....i was brought up with the smack and stack method!...spent many. many hours catching them and feeding the shore critters and birds!!...larry:biggrin:

Paulyman
08-27-2012, 09:45 AM
My girlfriend and some friends I brough fishing reacted the same way when I bonked one this weekend.

WKCotts
08-27-2012, 09:52 AM
haha i'm with you mark - a dead squaw is a good squaw

gREEn7o0
08-27-2012, 11:38 AM
Wow, what a read. Zombie thread, time to load up the Z-max.

After reading the entire thread I thought to myself, "How is calling them squaw fish considered racist, If anything it's sexist." :razz:

aggiehunter
08-27-2012, 12:56 PM
300wm...ILLEGAL TO USE FIN FISH FOR LING....THE FIRST NATIONS LADY FISH MAKES GOOD SPORT IN THE RIVER DURING HIGH WATER....EGG SUCKING LEECH IS THE FLY OF CHOICE....

skibum
08-27-2012, 01:55 PM
Portland Pikeminnow Fishery - to help out with the Salmon

The 2012 season for the fishery
will start May 1, 2012 for all stations. The season will end September 30, 2012.

The 2012 Sport reward payment schedule is as follows:

0-100 fish:
$4 per fish

101-400 fish:
$5 per fish

401 and above:
$8 per fish

TAGGED FISH rewards are $500 per tagged fish.
Minimum Size is 9 inches.

303carbine
08-27-2012, 04:02 PM
When I was taught to fish as a kid, it was simply a given that if you cought a squaw or a sucker you just killed it and chuck em! No-one Ive ever met in my life did any different. Now I havnt done a heck of alot of freshwater fishing in the past 10 years, but have things changed???? I was recently at a little water front barb-que here on okanagan lake, I spot a couple fishing rods in the boathouse. Using cheese, sausage ect. Im slamming squaws like no tomorrow, yeehaw, I felt like a little kid again :-). Of couse once landed, they get a big online swing and smash into the dock and pile up quickly. Now I believe im doing the lake a favor, removing the crap fish to help out the trout??? Apparently im the only one who felt that way. Everyone at the barby as well people at the neighbors dock start tearing into me about killing the fish, are you gonna eat all those, ect. Im like what??? They are just squaws, what planet are you from??? Try explaining this to a dozen or more people that know nothing about fish and see me as a fish murdering psyco! They actually told me to stop, like they were about to call the cops on me if I didnt!!! :confused: WTF is wrong with people?? Am I in the right or what?I wonder if these same wankers will squawk about killing the billions of carp that are probably going to invade the Fraser river??All I can say is the ravens, crows and other small predators like it when I fish for squaw fish.

J_T
08-27-2012, 04:18 PM
Paulyman, I think you might win the award for oldest thread revitalization.

When I grew up in the West Kootenay, harvesting/managing/reducing fish (suckers and squaw) that preyed on our sport fish - primarily Kokanee, was a responsibility. Keep them for the garden was about the best use for them. Lay them on the water or the beach for seagulls and Eagles was standard.

The Chinese used to fish the squaws to keep them for food, but no one else did.

steelballs
08-29-2012, 11:00 PM
Usually like to throw them in the fire live no tinfoil needed

Fraink
08-30-2012, 01:25 AM
Didn't look at the dates of posts till the end,LOL. Thought it was a fresh post, caught 450 squaw fish at a derby close to Vanderhoof in two days, won first prize and put the fish in the garden.

greenhorn
08-30-2012, 10:23 AM
The best day of fishing I ever had was on Cultus Lk. and we hammered Pike Minnows for about 4hrs strait. Black Woolley Bugger dragged behind a canoe and you couldn't keep them off the line. I tried eating one and it tasted really bad - so the rest were recycled......
I wonder if Cultus is still packed with them..... it was a crazy day, in 4 hrs fishing we only caught one Salmonid and the rest were Pike Minnow.....

Amphibious
09-02-2012, 07:58 PM
Squawfish and suckers are native. They belong in our waters. want to do some good? Kill the Bass, Sunfish, Perch and Carp.

happyhunter
09-02-2012, 10:55 PM
At least bass and perch taste good. The same can't be said for a squawfish. Bass are fun to fish and fight hard. IMO the these reasons make bass and perch more desirable than squawfish despite squawfish being native.

Foxton Gundogs
09-03-2012, 03:40 AM

As kids we used to make serious walking around money selling sacks of the stinking things to garders spread and till apparently great fertilizer

Surrey Boy
09-03-2012, 01:14 PM
My girlfriend and some friends I brough fishing reacted the same way when I bonked one this weekend.

Sorry, man. Time for new friends?