PDA

View Full Version : My first moose draw...

Wildcowgrl
08-01-2008, 03:56 PM
I have a tag for any bull moose in region 7-14. I have done some research on the area and it looks promising. The dates are September 20th til November 5th. Was wondering if anyone had any info on the best times to go would be? and if anyone has had luck with moose in that region?

Marianne

jml11
08-01-2008, 04:08 PM
Your tag should open on the 10th of September...no?

Regardless the "peak" moose time in and around the PG area is typically from about September 23rd to about October 8th (give or take a day or two). This is when the moose are rutting and are typically moving around more. They will come to a call quite easily.

As this is the 'peak', it is also the busiest time of year as well. 7-14 is close to PG and therefore gets it's fair share of local road hunters. If crowds are a concern avoid the thanksgiving long weekend. Also from the 10th to the 25th of october is cow/calf season also very busy.

I've had good luck the last few days of september. Grunting bulls and lower hunter volume = more enjoyable hunting in my mind. The crowds die down pretty good once the big push during cow/calf season is over. Have seen lots of bulls late in october.

Wildcowgrl
08-01-2008, 04:17 PM
Your tag should open on the 10th of September...no?

Regardless the "peak" moose time in and around the PG area is typically from about September 23rd to about October 8th (give or take a day or two). This is when the moose are rutting and are typically moving around more. They will come to a call quite easily.

As this is the 'peak', it is also the busiest time of year as well. 7-14 is close to PG and therefore gets it's fair share of local road hunters. If crowds are a concern avoid the thanksgiving long weekend. Also from the 10th to the 25th of october is cow/calf season also very busy.

I've had good luck the last few days of september. Grunting bulls and lower hunter volume = more enjoyable hunting in my mind. The crowds die down pretty good once the big push during cow/calf season is over. Have seen lots of bulls late in october.

Ya you are right, it starts on the 10th. Thank you for the info. I would also prefer to go when there are not so many people around.

srupp
08-01-2008, 04:35 PM
hmmmm dont worry about the PEOPLE.....PLAN to hunt moose during the rut..BEST success..find a place AWAY from the rds..even if its only 200-400 yards..near water..moose come TO round lakes and ALONG narrow long lakes..get near water and CALL CALL CALL..and get ready to shoot your first moose..

Steven

tomahawk
08-01-2008, 05:20 PM
Agree with Steven, once your off the roads your in the zone and IMHO the last week of Sept and first of Oct are the best 2 weeks.

Wildcowgrl
08-01-2008, 05:25 PM
Thank you. I didn't plan on road hunting..can't stand it. I like to be out in the bush. I can hardly wait to break in my .338 lol.

elkdom
08-01-2008, 05:34 PM
Thank you. I didn't plan on road hunting..can't stand it. I like to be out in the bush. I can hardly wait to break in my .338 lol.

Now you did it! lady! you had to go and mention what caliber you plan on using and there will be a huge debate on what you should and shouldn't be useing for your first moose hunt ! just kidding, good luck, good choice, all the best!

Wildcowgrl
08-01-2008, 06:00 PM
Now you did it! lady! you had to go and mention what caliber you plan on using and there will be a huge debate on what you should and shouldn't be useing for your first moose hunt ! just kidding, good luck, good choice, all the best!

Lol, whats wrong with a .338. I could use my 30-06 but I think the .338 is a better choice and I am dying to use it on a animal. I got it at the Kamloops gun show and it shoots right on the money at 200 yards.

elkdom
08-01-2008, 06:15 PM
Lol, whats wrong with a .338. I could use my 30-06 but I think the .338 is a better choice and I am dying to use it on a animal. I got it at the Kamloops gun show and it shoots right on the money at 200 yards.

338 does great, GBears and many moose and elk with my 338, nice thing about 338 if your zereo'd for 200 yds with 210 grain bullets even 225,250 and 275grn bullits dont change your point of impact much out to 300 yards. the 338 bullits all have a high ballistic co-efficient so they tend to carry out for long shots well! so good choice there! and 338 doesent tend to bloodshot meat as bady as many smaller faster hi-shock bullits!

Wildcowgrl
08-01-2008, 06:46 PM
338 does great, GBears and many moose and elk with my 338, nice thing about 338 if your zereo'd for 200 yds with 210 grain bullets even 225,250 and 275grn bullits dont change your point of impact much out to 300 yards. the 338 bullits all have a high ballistic co-efficient so they tend to carry out for long shots well! so good choice there! and 338 doesent tend to bloodshot meat as bady as many smaller faster hi-shock bullits!

Very true about the bloodshot. When me and my hunting partner got our cow elks last season I used my 30-06 and he used his .338. I had bloodshot meat and he had next to none.

jml11
08-01-2008, 06:49 PM
find a place AWAY from the rds..even if its only 200-400 yards

When I mention that is is busy, the majority of the "busy" is from locals who are road hunting. You may see lots of trucks but few ever get out and walk around much. I've lived in the PG area for almost 7 years and my job takes be into the bush. I rarely see moose from the truck, especially bulls. Come hunting season I am able to find them fairly easily because I am out of my truck walking around. You don't have to be far off a road to find the moose. I helped a buddy pack out a nice mature bull moose less than 100 yards of the 1400 road southwest of town, which is an extremely busy road come hunting season. The moose was hanging out near a small swampy lake/meadow which couldn't be seen from the road. I would bet dozens to of hunters drove right passed him everyday.

I believe the key to success is to put in your time and hit the areas with lots of sign..hard...you will find that bull...

Wildcowgrl
08-01-2008, 06:52 PM
Well I hope to invest a minimum of 14 days probably longer. The more time the better:D

elkdom
08-01-2008, 07:29 PM
Well I hope to invest a minimum of 14 days probably longer. The more time the better:D

GEE"s 14 days? whataya gonna do? plant a garden , build a cabin , do some gold pannin? with your spunk, I'm bettin 4 days, and Bullwinkell dies! that will leave you 10 days to hunt deer and black bear! lol

jml11
08-01-2008, 07:31 PM
GEE"s 14 days? whataya gonna do?

I was gonna say that too! That's a serious moose hunt. As long as you are as ambitious as you sound and aren't picky about the size of your bull I bet you will have that bull within 5 days, probably sooner.

Wildcowgrl
08-01-2008, 07:54 PM
That is the plan..hunt for my moose, if i get it i have the time to build my cabin and hunt deer and bear also lol. Hey gold panning is fun and with gold at just about 1000 dollars an ounce maybe i'll do some of that also:-P

elkdom
08-01-2008, 11:59 PM
That is the plan..hunt for my moose, if i get it i have the time to build my cabin and hunt deer and bear also lol. Hey gold panning is fun and with gold at just about 1000 dollars an ounce maybe i'll do some of that also:-P

Why is it all the girls are the same in the end, it all comes down to gold! lmao

hunter1947
08-02-2008, 05:12 AM
If I had this draw I would headed into this area on the opening day for the draw.

You know what they say ,early bird gets the pick of the moose.

lots of spur roads and country to explore ,chances are great ,good luck WCG http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon12.gif.

Blainer
08-02-2008, 06:59 AM
I think you will do fine.
I love the enthusiasm,and the gun.LOL
Look forward to the pictures.

Wildcowgrl
08-02-2008, 02:52 PM
Why is it all the girls are the same in the end, it all comes down to gold! lmao

Hey give me a gun over gold anyday lol:wink:

Wildcowgrl
08-02-2008, 02:52 PM
If I had this draw I would headed into this area on the opening day for the draw.

You know what they say ,early bird gets the pick of the moose.

lots of spur roads and country to explore ,chances are great ,good luck WCG http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon12.gif.

Thank you Hunter1947:-D

Wildcowgrl
08-02-2008, 02:53 PM
I think you will do fine.
I love the enthusiasm,and the gun.LOL
Look forward to the pictures.

Thank you:D I look forward to taking the shot...both times lol

srupp
08-02-2008, 04:13 PM
during the rut moose are found and can be called in any time of the day..before they get love sick I find early morning in willow swamps and medows..and cut blocks just as its starting to get light EARLY.....

THEN walk around the swamps meadows back in the trees on high spots that are dry..walk slowly and glass for BEDDED MOOSE..

I am hunting an area I have never hunted before..gonna do the exact same thing..find water..swamps ..cuts..put up some MOOSE IN RUT URINE..

and be prepared to do some calling..and covering ground...

good luck...lol I am using MY new SAKO.338 ON ITS first ANIMAL..first 2 weeks of Oct for moose

steven

elkdom
08-02-2008, 05:03 PM
during the rut moose are found and can be called in any time of the day..before they get love sick I find early morning in willow swamps and medows..and cut blocks just as its starting to get light EARLY.....

THEN walk around the swamps meadows back in the trees on high spots that are dry..walk slowly and glass for BEDDED MOOSE..

I am hunting an area I have never hunted before..gonna do the exact same thing..find water..swamps ..cuts..put up some MOOSE IN RUT URINE..

good luck...lol I am using MY new SAKO.338 ON ITS first ANIMAL..first 2 weeks of Oct for moose

steven
x2 on that srupp,all ideas descibed are good info, something I have found if you call moose the last minutes of light in the evening, sprinkle some moose "pee" here and there, then the next morning check that area carefully, during the night moose will approach the spot where you called from, they smell the "pee" and hang around waiting! once a few years ago when I returned to where I had called moose for last hour of light, at daybreak there were 9 bull moose within 300 yards of where I was calling the nite before! "this area with 9 bulls was old clearcut near huge willow swamp" guess what happened then? boom!

Wildcowgrl
08-02-2008, 08:09 PM

steven

Thank you. And good luck to you and breaking in your new .338

moosinaround
08-03-2008, 11:34 AM
Are you going in the Ft St James end or the PG end? Anyways a good place to camp to be central is on Great Beaver Lake. If it is busy, docs lake, which is off the teardrop fsr is a good place. Lots of excellent places to hunt moose in here. Youngs lake area is good. Lots of good camp sites both forest service rec sites as well as logging landings and gravel pits. Expect to see lots of hunters especially road hunters. Hell you may even bump into me! I would get there so you have the last part of sept first part of Oct. Just before Cow/Calf season opens up. It is a zoo after that till the 25 oct. Calling is the best bet, I have seen some good bulls up there. Might want to grab an elk tag too as there is a heard that floats down along the southern boundary of that MU, close to the Necoslie/ Stuart rivers. Good luck I sure hope you break in that 338 on a nice big bull. Moosin

Wildcowgrl
08-03-2008, 12:13 PM
Are you going in the Ft St James end or the PG end? Anyways a good place to camp to be central is on Great Beaver Lake. If it is busy, docs lake, which is off the teardrop fsr is a good place. Lots of excellent places to hunt moose in here. Youngs lake area is good. Lots of good camp sites both forest service rec sites as well as logging landings and gravel pits. Expect to see lots of hunters especially road hunters. Hell you may even bump into me! I would get there so you have the last part of sept first part of Oct. Just before Cow/Calf season opens up. It is a zoo after that till the 25 oct. Calling is the best bet, I have seen some good bulls up there. Might want to grab an elk tag too as there is a heard that floats down along the southern boundary of that MU, close to the Necoslie/ Stuart rivers. Good luck I sure hope you break in that 338 on a nice big bull. Moosin

Thank you very much for that great info. And I sure look forward to breaking in my .338 on a nice big bull lol.