PDA

View Full Version : Bison Draw?

papaken
07-31-2008, 10:39 AM
Hi! All
A friend of mine got a bison draw:-o for 7-57 in November. Never hunted up that far or hunted bison:?: Would appreciate any info or links that can help him out. Will 30:06 / 220's be sufficient or is it a good excuse to buy a new gun:p. :idea:"Worst case" I would have to go shoot it with my 450M :-P LOL!!
Thanks in advance papaken

tomahawk
07-31-2008, 10:49 AM
Where is the draw? A or B ????????

anglo-saxon
07-31-2008, 10:56 AM
A nice 32"-barrel Buffalo Classic in 45-70 by NEF would be a fun choice. Not sure if it would be the nostalgia or the solid, crescent butt plate that would bring the tear to your eye (or both!).

http://www.hr1871.com/Firearms/Rifles/youth.asp

Fisher-Dude
07-31-2008, 11:08 AM
Generally speaking, a 30/06 bullet will bounce right off a bison and fall harmlessly to the ground. You'll just pi$$ it off, like a bee sting. You should buy the biggest fricken magnum they make and use premium bullets.

Avalanche123
07-31-2008, 11:30 AM
A 60lbs plus bow with a well placed heavy arrow works wonders too.

All the grizzly won't coming running for a hot lunch when they hear the gun shot go off either! :)

BCHunterFSJ
07-31-2008, 12:03 PM
I've even heard of 7mm magnums bouncing off! My son and wife have had real good results using a .338 Win. Mag. with 250 grain bullets. I finally got drawn this year, and will be using the same...

Flingin' Sticks
07-31-2008, 02:26 PM
Father in law and a friend shot a couple last year using a 7mm mag (marginal at best) and a .308 (down right stupid if you ask me). told them they wern't packing enough gun and did they listen to me??? No way. took way too many bullets to drop these things (something like three or four apiece) before the mag. dropped both with head shots.

moral of the story...I'd say it's a DAMN good excuse to buy a big effing gun!!!

bighornbob
07-31-2008, 02:35 PM
I dont think it really matters what you shoot them with unless you hit the spinal column or a head shot. A friend had the draw the very first year they gave out tags and he shot his 3 times in the boiler room with a 300 Weatherby and the bull did not even flinch. He was asking for another rifle as he figured he was missing until somebody noticed the steam holes coming from the bulls chest.

BHB

elkdom
07-31-2008, 03:31 PM
JUst like shooting a big old "Cedar Stump' just as good eatin too!

gone hunting
07-31-2008, 03:50 PM
Bison have huge heads but a brain the size of a baseball. A friend of mine is a butcher. I've seen him shoot my steers, and they would drop like a house just landed on them. His son shot a large bison bull in the neck, with a 7mm mag. The thing walked a bit, then lay down. My friend walked up behind it, put his 308 Norma mag to the back of its head and pulled the trigger. He told me the thing turned and looked at him with smoke coming out of its head. Buddy said "I'll come back later" backed off and gave it time to succumb to its wounds.
He showed me a cross section of the things skull. Those things bash heads with each other for kicks. I'd think an -06 with 220's will do the trick, but I'd opt for a good broad side shot and stay away from the brain box. Its all box and not much brain.
Have a great trip.... PS Its always a good time to buy another rifle.

simonwclee
07-31-2008, 04:51 PM
I got a bison draw in 7-57a someone know Tomter Ranch in pink mountain location in 7-57a or 7-57b.

BiG Boar
07-31-2008, 05:37 PM
you MUST buy a new gun, if you dont you will probably get trampled! I would look for a small cannon. Why not a rocket launcher or something even, you can shoot cows in cambodia with bazokas for 500 dollars a shot, now that is effective ammo.

cwocarsten
08-01-2008, 09:48 PM
my friend shot his Bison last year with his 30-06 in 7-57 NO PROBLEM

papaken
08-04-2008, 12:16 PM
thx everyone :smile:
just caught up with him on the weekend, the draw is for 7-57b. No idea where it is, besides being in the Pink Mt. area, he'll have to do somechecking. He tells me he was wanting a new gun;-) now he has the excuse he needed:lol:.
He was thinking of a Weatherby 300?
thx again papaken

browningboy
08-04-2008, 05:44 PM
Why would one put in for a draw and not have a clue??

elkdom
08-04-2008, 05:50 PM
Why would one put in for a draw and not have a clue??

makes it a challenge, the road trip?

Thunderstix
08-04-2008, 06:07 PM
thx everyone :smile:
just caught up with him on the weekend, the draw is for 7-57b. No idea where it is, besides being in the Pink Mt. area, he'll have to do somechecking. He tells me he was wanting a new gun;-) now he has the excuse he needed:lol:.
He was thinking of a Weatherby 300?
thx again papaken

Tell him not to buy a new gun as I will just drive 2 hours and he can shoot it with my .375 H&H...I love Bison :grin:

papaken
08-04-2008, 06:44 PM
Right on! elkdom!!
Now that's the way I feel and so does my friend, now it's not just a huntin' trip, it's now an adventure!!!!!
papaken

papaken
08-04-2008, 06:48 PM
Thunderstix
He's already got people lining up to help him eat it, me included LOL!!!

lchernoff
11-21-2008, 08:34 PM
when is your hunt, and what zone?

vortex
11-21-2008, 09:00 PM
I shot my bull with a 30.06 with 180 grains. 2 shots in the ribs at 150 yards. He dropped within 30 seconds. As other guys have said, shot placement is everything. A shot in the ass with a 416 is still a shot in the ass.

Caveman
11-21-2008, 09:08 PM
I shot mine last year through the neck with my 30.06 and it dropped like a rock. Here is a picture of the bullet I retrieved

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c247/cavemn94/Barnesx2.jpg

7mag700
11-21-2008, 09:13 PM
I was there helping out a buddy with his LEH - post is here (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=28369)

Congrats on your bull! That is some tough hunting, whether it's the cold, the crowd, or the animal.

I understand there were 43 tags for the Nov 15th draw. I bet we saw/met about 15 different groups. We noted that after the first days (huge) hunting pressure, they were all to be found up in the hills and cliff faces! Although there were crowds, we also found that everyone got along well, helped each other out, and had some great stories.

The natives charge $175 per group to cross their land to hunt. The cabin sleeps 7 for $65 a night. We stayed at the hotel at Sasquatch Crossing, just north of Pink Mountain, $95 per night, definately not 4-star, but they had an Atco trailer rec room where we could drink beer and watch the fight. You can reach the hunting grounds easily (a creek crossing and some major steep hills aside) without paying if you have quads (we did, thankfully there wasn't too much snow) or snow machines. Just before you reach the gate marked private property at the ranch there is a trail to the right with a good wall-tent camp just up from the road. Follow the trail onto a seismic line around the back side of the native's ranch, then hang a right when you reach the trail that exits the ranch, along the Halfway River.

Also highly recommended - a cheap chainsaw with canola oil for chain lube. Makes quartering a cinch.

Even if you do choose to pay, don't plan on driving in with a pickup - there are limits how far you can take 'em. Quads can go farther, snow machines farther still. Crossing the ranch rather than taking the trail around will save about 1/2 hour each way, which will be worth it IMO when you're soaked through from tracking/killing/gutting/skinning/quartering/loading/hauling an animal that weighs up to 2000 lbs. and its -17 degrees out. We chose not to on principle, and man were we toast when we finished unloading at the truck at 8:00pm.

PM me if you want more info.

7m7

175 grain bullet. Minimum. Other than that ya gotta hit it in the spine or the engine room.

BiG Boar
11-21-2008, 09:28 PM
Generally speaking, a 30/06 bullet will bounce right off a bison and fall harmlessly to the ground. You'll just pi$$ it off, like a bee sting. You should buy the biggest fricken magnum they make and use premium bullets.

I 100% agree.

325 wsm
11-22-2008, 09:31 AM
study the anatomy of a bison as it is much different than most other animals. the top of the hump to the spine of a big bison can be over 2 feet, don't shoot into the hump as it is not a killing shot. the 220 will work fine, but remember that it's not uncommon for the rest of the bison to herd up around a wounded one. so ... continue shooting it through the heart and lungs until it is dead, dead ' dead.

ratherbefishin
11-22-2008, 09:49 AM
Just remember the original ''buffalo gun''was a 50 caliber blackpowder Hawkin-not a modern high powered rifle with bonded bullets.I think the reason they don't drop like a sack of potatoes unless hit in the spine or brain is they have a few gallons of blood in them and no matter what you use, its blood loss that makes them drop.

bridger
11-23-2008, 10:16 PM
my wife got a draw a couple of years ago and used a 270wsm with 140 grain nosler partition no problem 1 shot about 150 yds on an adult bull

Rock Doctor
11-23-2008, 10:35 PM
my wife got a draw a couple of years ago and used a 270wsm with 140 grain nosler partition no problem 1 shot about 150 yds on an adult bull

Uh Oh, Brace yourself.
http://www.clipartof.com/images/thumbnail/1974.gif (http://www.clipartof.com/details/emoticon/1974.html)

silvercreek20
11-24-2008, 12:35 PM
Just got back from the Nov.15th draw in Region A. 300 Win Mag with 220 grain did the job in one shot but it was right on the money. We had the draw the first year there ever was a draw up there and my buddy was shooting a 30-06 with 200 grain and it took three hits. Mind you I still believe it comes down to shot placement as much as hitting power.

7mag700
11-24-2008, 01:03 PM
Just got back from the Nov.15th draw in Region A. 300 Win Mag with 220 grain did the job in one shot but it was right on the money. We had the draw the first year there ever was a draw up there and my buddy was shooting a 30-06 with 200 grain and it took three hits. Mind you I still believe it comes down to shot placement as much as hitting power.

Congrats! Good shootin'

silvercreek20
11-24-2008, 01:25 PM
Congrats! Good shootin'

I would like to put a few pics up of the hunt but have no idea how. Any help would be appreciated. Just registered to Hunting BC. Awesome website, pretty hard to get myself away from reading all the great stories though.

jdenroche
11-24-2008, 01:27 PM
The 30-06 with 220's will do the trick but as already stated stay away from the headshots. My brother downed one with a 30-06 with one shot to the boiler room.

7mag700
11-25-2008, 09:04 AM
I would like to put a few pics up of the hunt but have no idea how. Any help would be appreciated. Just registered to Hunting BC. Awesome website, pretty hard to get myself away from reading all the great stories though.

Marc said it best:

To put a picture in the forums from the gallery this is what you need to do.

1. First go to the gallery and find the picture you want to use. (You can also do this with a picture from another website if you’d like.)
2. Right click on the picture, if you’re using Firefox for a browser select “Copy Image Location.” If you’re using Internet explorer then you have to click on properties and the highlight the location of the picture right click on the highlighted section and select copy.
3. Go back to your thread or post and write your little blurb and then select the picture icon on top of the dialog box. Delete the http:// so now what you want to do is put the image location into the box. To do this all we have to do now is right click and select paste. This will input the location of the picture into the box.
4. Press ok and the picture will be entered into your post.

I know this sounds a bit complicated, but after a couple of times it becomes easy.

Hope this helps.
Marc.

tomahawk
11-25-2008, 10:27 AM

Shot placement is everything! I have taken 2 bulls with 1 shot each, both with a 30 06 and a 180 grain nosler partition. The first went 23 yds after an 11 yd shot and the second went 38 yds after a 65 yd shot.