PDA

View Full Version : Elk drug: What got me hooked?

Little Hawk
07-31-2008, 07:59 AM
Howdy,

Yeah... okay I admit it, I'm hooked on Elk hunting even though I haven't shot one yet. Been using Elk-juice seriously for about 4-yrs now. Think I'm due this year, if not, maybe a 12-step program is in the cards.

What is it with these critters that makes it so hard to leave them alone?
Thinkin' back, I guess it was my first real bull-encounter three seasons ago just south of Fairmont Hotsprings...

Last day of bull-season, morning of the 20th and after 7 full days of pounding the bush and adjacent mountainsides - nothing. It's late in the season and some days we hear the bulls, others we hear nothing.

Whats' wild about this story is that my buddy and I had just started trying out bugling two-days prior to the 20th. That came about when we bumped into a couple of Hungarian dudes from Victoria (our town) near camp. They're cruising around in a new Pathfinder with leather seats and brand new mag/rifles with scopes on em' that would do NASA proud. They tell us they're staying in a hotel down in Canal Flats. They too, were first-time elk hunters and they're also packin' Power-Bugles. Eying their cool plastic pipes I ask, 'where did you guys get those?' (My buddy, who lives up in the area told me that all the locals use them and we planned to get ourselves a couple for the next year) He says they got them up at the hardware store in Invermere. Late that afternoon the three of us burn up the highway and score a couple of 'Power-bugles'. That night back in camp, after dinner and a few brewsky's buddy and I decide it's time to do some bugle-practice, after all, the Hungarian's told us it takes years to become proficient at it, so we figured with but two days left in the season, we might as well get started.

It's about 10pm and we both start blowing into these things. For five minutes or so we are whaling away on these things making all manner of squwacks, squeals and farts that in no-way resemble any sound from an elk. Soon, our stomach's begin to hurt from laughing so hard and we quit.
Low and behold... less than a minute after we stopped a large bull answers us from about a quarter mile away in the dark.

We look at each other, dumbfounded.

Back to the last day of bull-season. The night before the boys took a vote and decided we'd break camp the next morning and head over to the Kootenay Lk area to hunt other buddy's LEH cow. I didn't give much argument. I went sleep that night thinking how stupid it was that I wasn't going to give it - one more chance. Before I fell asleep I told the boys I was going to get up in the dark and head out for the morning bite for a couple of hours. They said, 'cool'.

I was got on my way in the dark (on my old 4-stroke Honda dirtbike) and after promptly wiping out just outside of camp and filling my barrel chock-full of mud, I returned to camp, cleaned out my gun then headed out to my spot about 6km away.

It was just starting to get light when I arrived at the base of the mountains. I waited a few minutes then let go a bugle, or some facimille thereof.

Instantly, I got two answers; one, on the slope to the right, another to the left about a kilometer away, which sounded bigger... meaner. I decided to dance with him. I shouldered my pack and headed off in the direction.

I ended up on a slope about 50ft above a meadow that stretched out about 300 yds before me to another bank on the far side that led up to a small plateau of thick pines. I had only bugled once or twice thus far as well as a couple of squirts from my Hoochie-mama and he'd been answering me with an assortment of grunts, chuckles and squeals' the likes of which I had no idea an elk could make. As I took off my pack, chambered a round and layed down in the grass overlooking the meadow, I noticed my heart was pounding.

Then finally, after about five minutes of talking to him - I saw him, ghostlike appearing then disappearing as he moved slowly but purposfully along the edge of the tress on the far side of the meadow. I raised my 10 x 25 nitrogen (never-fog) Bushnell's to get a better look at him. All I could make out was that he was a bull; too far away to count him.

In the end, he casually walked down a path into the meadow and moved towards me as I gave him a cow-call every couple of minutes. He held up in a clump of trees about 90 yards out in front of and after about 10 minutes I became frustrated and desperate. Then, I remembered what my buddy in Invermere had told me; how he would often grab a big stick or rock and pound the ground with it to bring in a stuck-bull. I'm laying there in the grass. I look around, no rocks or sticks. I grab my bugle and smack a small fir tree next to me... "Pong!"
Opps. Dumb idea. Think fast dude or he's gone. I spot a rock nearby the size of a 5-pin bowling ball. I roll over and grab it and pound the ground with it three times, really hard, then hunker down.

Sure enough he finally comes out then walks towards me and stops about 60 yds out, in the clear - wide open - then begins posing for me as he sniffs the air trying to locate me. It's like we're at a photo-shoot; I'm the camera guy - he's the model. I have to count him quick! I raise my 'no-fog' Bushnell's with violently shaking hands; they're fogged to ratshit; I can't see a thing. My heart is pounding so hard I'm worried he can hear it. I clean my bino's with my shirttail and hold them to my head. My hands are shaking so bad I can't see dick. I can't focus them either... in focus... out of focus... one-two-three-four-five...? He stands broadside to me, then changes to the other side as if to say, "here Buddy, try countin' this side, is that easier?" For over five-minutes that bull stood there in front of me then finally turned and walked away, seemingly pissed at me for not shooting him. I was a wreck.

With my tail between my legs, I headed back to camp. One of the longest rides of my life.

To add insult to injury, the Hungarians' - after coercing the hotel manager to guide them on the last day of their hunt - managed to shoot a nice 6-point within a quarter mile of our camp.

Meeting that bull, in that meadow that morning, was all it took for me.

I'm hooked!

Cheers,
Terry

moosinaround
07-31-2008, 08:35 AM
So my story is very similar. A buddy of mine is a seasoned elk hunter, and told me he needed a new partner last year. I was stoked cause I never hunted elk before. So we get everything packed up and head out to the peace country. We set up camp and head out to scout for sign. Right at dusk on the first night, my buddy lets out a bugle, and he is an excellent elk caller. Nothing! Lets out another and BANG! a bull bellows!! Too dark to go after him!!! Back to camp, eat and talk about the encounter. Next few mornings the elk are quiet. No bugling at all! So about 4 days in to the hunt we were only teased by one bull, and we are getting down. We are looking at some new ground, and I let out a little squeal from the bugle! I hear a long ways off, what sounded like a bugle back! Holy crap! First time I had been answered! So I tried again heading off into the direction of the reply! Answers again!! Now I got an adrenaline rush going! Call again, nothing! That was it! So we left and went back that night. Never got any answers but seen where the heard had been! We left that area alone for a day and a half, not getting much for bugling action. Second to last day of the hunt we are pretty bummed out!! It was hot and the elk action was slow. We decided to head into where I had had the bugle return a few days earlier. Hiked in in the dark, and my boots were damp. I found out at that time they sqeaked!!! Shit! So We slowed down and walked slower, My buddy could hear some movement in the dark. We got to where the elk beds were a few days prior, and he let out a bugle! Nothing! He let out another, and all of a sudden this grunting come from our right! he bugled one more time, and all hell broke loose!! This bull come tearing up at us, haden't seen us but all I could see and hear was a pissed off bull elk! There was aspen trees shaking and a snorting bugling noise I had never heard before! Well we tried to get into position to count points, and when it was all said and done, there was a 6x5 bull elk laying on the ground, and two PUMPED hunters sitting there vibrating from the adrenaline!! I was hooked from that point on, and could stand a hunt like that every year!! It is a drug, I dream about that every now and then, and it just gets me pumped for the next year. with me it that way with moose hunting though too! Hunting is something I think about all year, and I think my addiction is getting worst! Now I think I have passed it on to my son and my sister too. I need help!! Moosin

Just kidding, I dont want help with my addiction!!

hunter1947
07-31-2008, 09:08 AM
Good story Terry.

As you said in your post you were practicing with your bugle at night ,then laughing about what sounds you made with it.

You don't have to be an expert caller in order for elk to talk back to you.
I have had bull elk come into my camp years back when I was chopping wood.

Fisher-Dude
07-31-2008, 09:09 AM
Great stories, and so true. I went on my first real elk hunt in 1978. This will be my 31st year with the incurable addiction. Don't expect the symptoms to wane - I think they actually become more acute over the years!

brotherjack
07-31-2008, 10:46 AM
Man, I wish I could say that. It sounds like serious good times to hear you guys tell it! I've just had far too many discouraging experiences hunting elk (and far too few exciting ones); if it wasn't for the any-elk EK bow season, I doubt I'd even buy a tag this year.

mark
07-31-2008, 06:17 PM
Tis certain the best drug out there! Anyone who hasnt bugled in an elk, just wouldnt understand!

Little Hawk
07-31-2008, 06:18 PM
Yee-ha! This great!

Come-on you sumszabitches, I know you're out there!
More stories... more ELK-DRUG!

U-u-g-g-u-h-h...

Cheers!

Frango
07-31-2008, 08:02 PM
Once you have the dreaded elk virus.I'm sorry to say there is no cure.The only thing that makes the pain go away is to bugle.You can bugle in your garage or at a remote campsite.You can try it downtown but you might have BC ambulance service asking you what your meds are.The only hope for your problem is to bang a nice 6x6 .Then you will be symptom free for about 8 months..It's a sad situation but grin a bare it.It's with you the rest of your life.

The Dawg
07-31-2008, 08:09 PM
This is the first virus I would be happy to catch. Anyone want to transmit it to me? :smile:

elkdom
07-31-2008, 08:18 PM
so one day I am out in the forest,suddenly I almost step in this huge pile of grizzley dung, about the size of a (volkswagen bug) so carelessly I say! eewwwhh, eewwwhh, eewwwhh, almost imediatly this huge 6x6 bull elk appears, not more than 15 yards from me, up with my 338 winmag,all I see in my scope is dark brown blurr! so I look over scope, point 338 win like a shotgun, BOOM ! elk drops, PLOP ! dont even wiggle,stone dead! hit right thru the chest,blew his heart to pieces, that was funny but wild day for elk hunting. I thought I was being funny making eewwwhh sounds to amuse my hunting buddy!

Little Hawk
08-01-2008, 06:21 AM
Bugle Practice tonight: Sporting goods/Isle #6/Wal Mart

hunter1947
08-01-2008, 07:22 AM
My story of a life time is that I have not connected with a bull for 6 yearshttp://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon9.gif.

Its not that I have not been into them ,I just have not been able to put a 6th sticker on one side.

I have proudly passed up a few 6 points because I couldn't see all points.
Some that I did pass up had the big dagger and two behind it in most cases that is usual a six point ,but you know the story no shoot unless you can see all six on the one side.

I am not crying about not connecting over the last 6 years ,I am just happy that I am able to still hunt them and talk to them.
Last year I saw 10 5x5 and around 15 other bulls.
The count on cows were around 200.

I was into elk almost every day and had called in about 15 bulls and to me that is a hart pumping experience ,I get just excited with the last one I called in as for when I called my first bull in 42 years ago.

Maybe ,but just maybe I might get lucky this year.

Word of wisdom I never count my chickens be for they hatch ,never have ,never will ,I just hunt hard and keep my fingers crossed that this might be my year ,good luck to all you elk hunters this year ,I hope you all get one this year ,H47. http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif.

Little Hawk
08-01-2008, 09:13 PM
Here Ye H1947!

Be advised that this is the year that the Great Spirit 'Mother Nature' shall smile upon you!

Drink in every minute of it, from the moment you first hear him... till that telling instant you send him to his maker with one well placed shot...

Best of Luck Brother!

Terry

todbartell
08-01-2008, 10:56 PM
my first elk hunting experience - first morning of day 1, partner lets out cow chirp and bull bugles 1/4 mile away inside the bush. and another bugles a mile behind him

I whispered to my partner "this is easier than grouse hunting!" :mrgreen:

sparky300winmag
08-02-2008, 10:37 AM
I've been waiting 10 mths and another 1 1/2 to go for my elk hunt to begin again.Hearing your stories makes me think back to my previous elk hunts and i'm actually getting so reved up i can hardly stand it.1 1/2 more mths to go...
I've had elk bugling at me from a couple hundred yrds or so a few times and it is the most exciting thing i have ever experienced.I have yet to connect with a rocky mtn elk ,been hunting them for 5 yrs now , but i wouldn't trade those 5 yrs for nothin.

bckev
08-02-2008, 12:42 PM
My story ends in a dark alley with the smell urine so strong my eyes watered. Every step I took I kicked an empty bottle. I heard a squeal out on the street a hundred yards away, it took me back to a better time. A time standing on a mountain, cool breeze blowing in my face coyotes yipping in the distance and a line of black spots walking away from me in the valley down below. My hands trembled as fell deep into my post traumatic stress, only five points, only five points I began to scream out loud. The wino in the fridge box next to mine got up and moved two boxes over, muttering about no cow tag. Soon the scream of sirens as an ambulance came and took me away. I slip into a deep dream, a place where you don't have to count points, a place where I always shoot straight. I am hoping for a full recovery before September, because this year is my year. So many points I don't have to count them.....

bozzdrywall
08-02-2008, 02:45 PM
Iam a hard core elk hunting junkie i have been an addict for three years now and every year it gets worse i keep getting lucky i dont know what to do i cant just quit. and now this year my wife has her licence and she wants to go for elk. iam a long way from the end of this addiction and i love every min. of it. good luck fighting the good fight

scoot
08-02-2008, 03:39 PM
I hope to get my Elk fix this year between sept 2-22

Little Hawk
08-03-2008, 08:23 AM
Howdy,

BCKEV... I too, hope you find 'full-recovery' before September's cool-winds can find your face. Thanks for the moving words.

Nothing - absolutely nothing! - replenishes a man's soul more thoroughly than spending time walking amongst 'Mother Natures' Cathedrals...

Best of Luck to You.
Terry

rishu_pepper
08-03-2008, 08:32 AM
Great story, Little Hawk. One day I hope to embark on an elk hunt as well... need to hone my skills with deer/bear first though 8)

my first elk hunting experience - first morning of day 1, partner lets out cow chirp and bull bugles 1/4 mile away inside the bush. and another bugles a mile behind him

I whispered to my partner "this is easier than grouse hunting!" :mrgreen:

So did you shoot the critter? :biggrin:

todbartell
08-03-2008, 11:18 PM
nope, never did get a look at the first bull. we stalked up to the second one, got to 600 yards, he was a solid 5x5...beauty animal.

hunter1947
08-04-2008, 05:11 AM
Here Ye H1947!

Be advised that this is the year that the Great Spirit 'Mother Nature' shall smile upon you!

Drink in every minute of it, from the moment you first hear him... till that telling instant you send him to his maker with one well placed shot...

Best of Luck Brother!

Terry
Well Terry if it is not the year I drop an elk it won't be lack of effort thats for sue ..

If I come home empty handed with no elk meat ,it won't be lack of memories.

The most important thing about the hunt is the moments you spent in the bush hunting these beautifully animals and to me thats just as good as shooting one http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif.

Little Hawk
08-04-2008, 07:33 AM
Howdy 1947,

Agreed - it's not always about killin'.
To be in same neck of the woods with these critters is a pulse-quickening experience and a big rush no matter what.

Though I did go up to Findlay Cr. in 95' and 96' to hunt elk for the first time, it ended up being more of a beer-drinkin' gong-show; not real serious.

But the last three years my buddy and I have been trying hard to learn what we can about these majestic and often hard to hunt animals. I see it as an apprenticeship; like school.

Last year I learned another valuable lesson: If you 'spook' a heard - don't quit on em'...

I'd just gotten off my bike (Old 4-stroke Honda) after arriving at a trail-head I'd planned to hike. I talked briefly on the radio with buddy to let him know where I was then shouldered my pack, grabbed my gun then began walking up the gentle slope of the trail towards the crest of the hill about 40 or 50 yds ahead. The pine forest was moderately thick with good viability corridors in most directions.

I hadn't taken more than a dozen steps when suddenly the ground began to shake with the pounding of hooves just ahead of me over the next rise. Big animals on the move... ELK? WTF? The *******s were standing there listening to me talk to buddy on the dam radio! They'd made me without letting me see them. At first it sounded like a dozen or more animals, like a stampede heading for yonder-parts. I crouched quickly on the trail and noticed my heart was pounding while tried to figure out what to do. Leave em' or follow?

I quickly grabbed my Hoochie-Mama and let go a couple of quick calls with the hope maybe they might think I was another elk. Then I sat still for another 5-min or so to let them settle down. No sense pushing them; they could move a lot faster than me.

Eventually I started down the trail after them, Davey Crockett style, slow, very slow and quiet; every step well placed, stopping frequently to have a look around. Every now and then I thought I could hear them somewhere ahead and I'd let out the odd cow-call to let them know I was just one-of-their's trying to catch up. Then I heard him. A couple of grunts & chuckles. Again, my pulse quickens.

200 yds or so down the trail I run into them again. They all bugger off like they're late for dinner. All I see is the asses of a couple of cows disappearing in the distance. I'm pissed. I swear to myself, confident that I've really blown it this time. I wait another five minutes before following.

Again, move slow, measure and place every step - watch that twig... 'snap' aw-fu*k!'...

Another couple of hundred yards down the trail and I notice something moving from my right to my left about 100yds ahead.

I crouch on the trail. They've got me stuck out in the open. There's hardly any trees around; thank God I'm in cammo.

I don't panic. Now they start to run a short ways; but not away from me this time; they're moving to my left. Still haven't seen him as they're all behind and in this evergreen thicket just ahead about 100 yds. The ground slopes flat and gentle down towards them.

I let go another cow-call and wait. They seem to settle down. Not running now. I wait a minute or two - seems like forever - then let another two calls go. I watch... my heart is in my mouth now.

Suddely, a cow appears from the Christmas-tree jungle... then another.
I let off the safety on my old Odd-six.

After two or three cows emerged, out he comes with his 'Spikes' held high, real proud like. Shit! He's a spike! I thinks to myself.

In all, he only had four other cows with him. It sounded like many more to my inexperianced ears. I stayed crouched there motionless on the trial in plain view of them as they paraded - single file - past me about 75yds away.

And though I was some disappointed I didn't take a shot, after my heartrate returned to normal and the hair on the back of neck layed flat again, I realized then as I walked back to my bike, just how fortunate I was to have had this experiance; to have successfully convinced him to come back out and have another look at me.

I looked up through the trees - to where I knew 'She' was looking down at me - and said Thankyou...

Cheers,
Terry

The Hermit
08-04-2008, 08:33 AM
About twelve years ago I was teaching a summer course at the college in Cranbrook and took every opportunity to get out and scout and plan for a fall elk hunt. Saw lots of elk from a distance but wasn't calling or stocking just trying to figure out where they lived that summer.

Met some real nice people including one guy (can't remember his name) that REALLY lived to hunt. For many years he had worked part time jobs with the occasionally full time gig during deep winter months but as soon as Aug rolled around he would go on UIC and book out in his beater and camper headed for the Tat, the north coast, Ft Nelson, and finally back to the Koot for the late season. He would be gone for months at a time and told me that he would often spend three weeks in the high country alone carrying in his provisions in legs. The year I met him he had a griz tag and was planning a solo archery pursuit! Interesting guy with a million stories!

Anyway he took me up the Bull River one weekend and showed me a couple spots and shared some of his tips. We were sitting glassing across a wide valley onto a steep slope and he asks "how many mulies do you think are in that herd". I hadn't even seen them and he said when I found them he would show me the elk... cool.

We had been sitting there for about an hour when he lets out a quiet cow call and holy crap a 6x6 bull walked out of the alders about 100 feet away!! That was it for me! I knew what I wanted...

So last year I am out with another couple old hands and were in the thick of a herd. So we are moving very slowly along the edge of a field in the trees when across the corner the bushes start flailing... so I creep out slowly crouched low and get to within about twenty yards and stand ready behind the only tree around me. The boys behind me now start calling and the bushes erupt in a violet thrashing. Needless we are all pumped, heart racing, me worried that if he charges out that I may not get a good broadside, and here he comes! I pull hard and as the cams roll over stand at full draw, big anticipatory grin on my face and I am sixteen again! As he steps out into the clearing I see instantly that he was one of the biggest bulls I've ever seen. Instantly we all burst into laughter!! Not the right kind of bull!!

Didn't matter, it was still very very exciting!!! ;-)

bozzdrywall
08-04-2008, 09:37 AM
Great story little hawk. Heres one from the 07 season.
It was sept. 5 My dad and I have been hunting the area for about 3 days were seeing lots of elk a few bulls not really anything I would like to shoot though. The elk were being pretty quiet the past couple of days not even a squeak. This morning would be different. We stopped the truck to get rid of the used coffee, when all of a sudden we here a cow call out from 1km away. So we sit and listen for about 10 min. We can here the cows calling out to there bull then out of the blue we heard him. "Sounds good lets go get him" I say to the old man. My dad drives me ahead of where we think there going and drops me off. He backs down the road a km or two and starts calling. I just have my cow calls so I start with a loud locater call. The bull answered right away. So I get into a place were I feel I would have a good chance at a shot. The elk are still about 1km away but its getting light now good enough to shoot. I let go with a couple of soft cow calls every min. or so and soon you can hear them getting closer, the bull is getting worked up,screaming at me at the top of his lungs. My dad is doing a great job bugling behind me. About 40 min. passes, then I see the first cow come out of the river bottom. She is not alone she is getting chased by a small 4x5, not really what I am looking for. Then another two cows come out now the elk are 100yds away and closing. My heart starts to pound, I start to shake. I keep cow calling as quiet as I can. The elk stop and look back as if they were more to come out. All of a sudden, out he comes the one I really want! A real nice 6x7. He starts screaming at the little bull, as to say get away from my cows. Then he stops and starts smelling the air I think I am beat, but wait I have cow piss in a spray bottle so I spray it in the air 5 or 6 times. So I wait, I see the bull lick his lips and nose. He's getting horny now, he rounds up his cows and heads in my direction. I ready my bow, and I wait. My heart just about coming out of my chest. 60 yds 50 yds 40yds I draw back and hold for what seems like forever 30yds 20yrds. He is looking right at me. Then a calmness comes over me, every thing is in slow motion. He smells me and turns to bolt. I let go a squeal from my mouth reed, he turns broad side 25yds out looks right at me. *Thwak* I let him have it! Good hit! I sit down trying to catch my breathe, as he runs off, crashing through the bush. I wait about ten min or so, then I head back to the truck to get my dad. When I get there he says "Did you get one?" As if he could not tell by the ear to ear grin on my face. So we head out to find this beauty. I show him were I shot from and not far from that we find my arrow covered in blood. We follow a good blood trail for about 100yds then we see him piled up in some trees. I let out a victory cheer and hugged my dad, to say thanks for the great calling he did behind me. "Now the work begins." he says.

Nalidixic
08-04-2008, 08:46 PM
Awesome story, thanks for posting. I got an LEH elk hunt this year so it's going to be my first go at it :>

Nalid

BigBanger
08-04-2008, 09:24 PM
All the stories are awesome guys , for a new hunter like me , this takes the cake .

bwhnter
08-04-2008, 10:43 PM
A few years ago I was excited to try a new area that I had never been into before. On openingday as I drove out the fog was so thick that I nearly blew past the turn off. After unloading my quad at the end of the road I drove to the first cut block that I wanted to explore. Hiding my quad in the bush I gathered my gear and started walking down the trail cow calling as I went. I thought that I heard a cow answer but after remaining quiet for several minutes without hearing anything else I decided that it must have been an echo off of the trees. Ten yards further I busted a whole herd out of the cut block. Figuring that I had blown it I continued on my way excited that I had at least found elk. I found rubs and wallows but I could not get a bull to answer me. Reaching the last cut block I climbed to the top and let out the loudest cow I could. Off in the distance I heard a bull bugle back. He was so far away that I could just barely hear him. Taking a quick wind check I headed off towards him at a trot. As I entered the poplar trees I slowed down to a walk and managed to pick up a nice game trail to follow. Peering ahead into the trees I noticed a nice 4x4 white-tail looking at me. He wasn't a buck that I was wanting to fill my tag with but I began scanning for another buck and spotted a 160+ non-typical feeding 45 yards ahead. Nocking an arrow I drew and was about to squeeze the trigger when a bugle sounded from the draw to my left.Wanting an elk more I let down and took a step to face where the bugle had come from and ranged a few trees. I had just reattached my release when the tops of his antlers appeared coming out of the draw. As the rest of his antlers appeared I was pleased to see that he was a decent 6x7. Catching a wiff of me, he spooked and trotted away. A cow call from the diaghram call that I had in my cheek stopped the bull for the second that I needed. I released my arrow and it cover the 50 yards in the blink of an eye. Hearing the solid hit, I watched as the bull bolted forward. Another cow call and I heard him stop just around a stand of spuce trees. Within seconds I heard him go down. I was stoked the first day of elk season and I called in and shot a bull all by myself. Getting him to the truck was another adventure with the rain that started just before I shot and a flat tire on my quad I finally got him back to my truck over 10 hours later.

Just one of the adventures that keeps me going through the off season.
Just 27 more days to go.

Bwhnter

Little Hawk
08-05-2008, 06:39 AM
Awesome stories Dudes!

I always wanted to bow-hunt one day, but me thinks I'll learn to bean-em' with Mr. Barnes first.

More stories... more elk-drug... a-a-a-a-h-h-h-u-g-g-g-h-h...

bckev
08-06-2008, 10:15 AM
Is the virus something you have to take antibiotics for, cause I am natural kind of guy and don't like using drugs, will echinaccea work?

Little Hawk
08-09-2008, 07:37 AM
More Elk-drug... please!

"U-u-u-g-g-g-u-u-u-h-h-h-o-o-o-o-o-w-w-w-w-e-e-e-e-e-h-h-u-u-g-g!"

Now dat's one-horny bugle!

hunter1947
08-09-2008, 08:04 AM
All I can say is work hard ,cover lots of ground on foot and hopefully you will be lucky enough to see a bull with 6 on the one side.