PDA

View Full Version : GMRS Radios

BC4Bowhunter
07-30-2008, 08:22 PM
I am looking into getting new GMRS radios. I have looked at Motorola and Cobra. I don't want to go with a Garmin Rhino since I have a good GPS already.I know the range of these radios are far from what they advertise but want a radio with decent range (5-10Km) in the hills without going with a VHF radio. I plan to use it mostly for when I go bowhunting with hunting partner. Any suggestions or experience with these kind of radios Thanks.8-)

huntcoop
07-30-2008, 10:19 PM
Look at Cabelas.com, they have ones made by Midland that have a range of up to 20+ miles.

Stresd
07-31-2008, 06:38 AM
Forget Gmrs and go with a 5 watt VHF handheld instead. You'll be far happier in the long run. A base model cheapy, that will blow the doors off a Gmrs in Trans & Recieve can be had for about 100 bucks.
http://www.stevestonmarine.com/

Cedarstrip
07-31-2008, 07:22 AM
Gotta agree on going with VHF. I've used many of the GMRS and they are all very limited. No matter what range they promise. Not a problem if your communications are not vital, but otherwise....
I like them when we're out fishing with a few boats as they are OK with line of sight, but again, we all have VHF in our boats, don't we!

Steeleco
07-31-2008, 07:45 AM
They only issue with VHF is the legality of using them without a license??
I got mine for "airside operations" but the test was not near as easy as I'd hoped?

The Hermit
07-31-2008, 07:48 AM
The big big big advantage of the Rhino is the positioning/locator feature... pin point where your buddy called from, see him/her on the map. I love mine.

Steeleco
07-31-2008, 08:35 AM
The big big big advantage of the Rhino is the positioning/locator feature... pin point where your buddy called from, see him/her on the map. I love mine.

But only if you don't get out of range of the GMRS part of the units. For two guys that hunt on foot they're great, but the same two guys on quads will soon find themselves out of range.

Barracuda
07-31-2008, 08:40 AM
the GMRS is limited to to about two watts in Canada but in the US they are limited to 5 watts. It is a night and day difference ,
The Canadian Rhino is detuned so go down and pick up the US version at 5 watts.

Moosenose
07-31-2008, 09:07 AM
We use both GMRS and VHF.
The VHF are definitely higher end radios, they cost $500 each and have excellent range, with up to 15km with line of sight.
The little low wattage GMRS are fine if you are walking and not too far away from each other (2km max). If you get a set of these make damn sure you get a set that DOES NOT have the beep tone on transmit and recieve. My buddy has a pair that make a loud multi tone beep when both transmitting and receiving. The last thing you want to do if you are moving in on a critter is make a bunch of strange noises they aren't used to. You are a little safer with radios also, I used this excuse to help justify the expense.

Stresd
07-31-2008, 10:09 AM
We use both GMRS and VHF.
The VHF are definitely higher end radios, they cost $500 each

Must be gold plated:razz: Even my Icom Programable was only 250. A couple guys in our group bought VHF's form Steveston for under 100 bucks. They work quite well and all have the beep tone by default but it can be turned off. Ie How about this one for 69.00.
http://www.stevestonmarine.com/product_detail.php?id=31566

tuchodi
07-31-2008, 01:03 PM
the GMRS is limited to to about two watts in Canada but in the US they are limited to 5 watts. It is a night and day difference ,
The Canadian Rhino is detuned so go down and pick up the US version at 5 watts.
Since we have gotten the 5 watt units our range has gone up considerably. We can now talk quit easy around 5 KM and thats not line of sight.

BC4Bowhunter
08-01-2008, 09:17 PM
Thanks for the input. I know a VHF radio is far superior than a GMRS how ever I really don't want to go a get a license to use one right now thats why I am looking at GMRS. Any paticular brand better than the others I looked at the midland I don't know if it is better than a motorola or cobra or uniden any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Brambles
08-01-2008, 11:22 PM
Shop usa, stronger and more powerful mojo.