PDA

View Full Version : 11th - Commandment: Covet thy Hunting-Buddy.

Little Hawk
07-30-2008, 07:20 AM
Howdy,

Is it just me, or have the rest of you suffered similar experiences?
Over the years I've hunted, it seems to me that the most problematic issue with hunting is finding reliable hunting partner(s) that you can get along with and have complete confidence in, regardless of what situation comes up.

I look back over the years at those I've hunted with that have come and gone then look in the mirror and ask myself, 'Am I just an ass-hole to hunt with or what?'

Get's me thinkin'. I know I can be opinionated and set in my ways. But I work on that by trying to let the other guy(s) have equal input into what and how and where stuff happens.

It's funny how you think you know someone - till you go hunting with them.
God... I could write a book on this topic. Sadly for me, good friendships have come to an end over hunting.

Some guys undergo this strange sort of transformation when they get in the bush.
One guy, who had been a friend for a few years and finally conceded to come hunting with me, walks up to me only a few minutes after arriving at our base-camp destination, gets in my face and says, "I don't do dishes!" This same guy - after a large chocolate/griz yanked one of our deer we were stupid enough to leave hanging near the ground - without any concensus among the hunting party, takes it upon himself to join his cousin to track down this bear and kill it. I argued that the bear did not deserve to die because we didn't hang our game out of reach. Fortunately, the bear was long gone.

Another guy I'd known for years as a gentle soft-spoken individual with a good sense of humor, after arriving at camp does this Jekyll & Hyde thing and suddenly turns into a Camp-commando and starts ordering everyone around. I felt like a cub-scout and we clashed horns several times.

On another trip - the first time hunting with five other guys from a bar where I worked as a bartender - I horrified when guys started drinking heavily during the day; leaving loaded guns laying around camp; leaving garbage in the bush in the middle of nowhere and thinking nothing of it; sitting around watching you do the work - dishes, firewood etc..

Another first-time trip with another buddy I'd know about two years, ended horrifically. Two days after dropping a young moose in 3-19 (Mud Lake area) with the shot-of-a-lifetime (450/yds. 308'-Win), we're all headed north (three vehicles) towards Clinton to do some deer hunting. On a sharp corner somewhere between Lilloett and Cash Creek he (stone-sober) lost it and rolled his Mazda 4x4 three times. His passenger walked away from the crash; sadly, my good friend took a full case of (bottled) beer to the side of his head. He's been in a group home ever since.

I lost my all time best hunting buddy to drugs. He's still alive and in the recovery mode, but I don't know if I'll ever hunt with him again. This breaks my heart to no end.

For the last three years I've hunted with another buddy and things seem to get better each year. We get along good and trust each other implicitly. We're so stoked about this year. We both got into elk hunting at the same time and though we haven't scored yet, we're really optomistic about this year.

I have come to learn over the years that: A GOOD HUNTING-BUDDY IS WORTH HIS WEIGHT IN 'GOLD!'

Cheers,
Terry

Gilmore
07-30-2008, 07:30 AM
A GOOD HUNTING-BUDDY IS WORTH HIS WEIGHT IN 'GOLD!'

Amen to that!

Leaseman
07-30-2008, 07:37 AM
My Dad started my hunting career 40 years ago this fall... we hunted together as partners for 30+ years with a few of my friends thrown in (for the last 20 plus years).... I still go on day trips with him and my son...

At present, I have been teaching my soon to be 14 year old all I have been taught about hunting. He has been shooting grouse with me for a few years and been in on many kills.... He shot his first deer last season and has become my "go to" hunting partner, hopefully for life!

The only regret that I have is that my wife doesn't enjoy hunting. I honestly wish that she loved it the way I do as I would never look any farther for partners than my own family....

I still have two life long friends that I get away with for a few long weekend hunts, these times are special, but nothing beats seeing your son, Dad or whatever family member when they drop a nice animal!!!

Mike

abbyfireguy
07-30-2008, 07:52 AM
I was taught the right way to hunt by my best friend's uncle and his pal 30 yrs ago. Doug and Bill are now in their early 70's and still get out moose hunting every year up around vanderhoof..
Shared responsibilities, helping with everything, no drinks till after the days hunting is done and you're sitting around the campfire at night...
I am teaching these ethics and traits to my 16 year old son and he seems to be picking them up(amazing for a teenager)..
My hunting partner Dave and I are both 50 now and we appreciate the fact that everything will get done in camp and we get along real well.
I don't know who could feel right about themselves when they sit on their a$$ and someone else does everything(they'd never hunt with me again!!).
If you have the attitude that you want the other guy to have a great trip and get as much enjoyment out of it as you do ,then all should be good...

BiG Boar
07-30-2008, 08:02 AM
Little Hawk, I can see where you are going with this. I havnt hunted long enough to say I have hunting partners, however even just camping with someone you get to see what they are made of. I know which guys I encourage to hunt with me and which ones I dont throw out any offers. Its not that they are bad people, its just that they have different expectations. To help with the dishes buy paper or plastic. As far as the drinking thing goes, I learned that you got to have that as a rule before you go hunting with someone. I enjoy the odd beer at lunch, but when its hunting time, the beers belong in the fridge, not in the truck, quad or pack.

Avalanche123
07-30-2008, 08:23 AM
I struggle with this same concept every year. My current partner is a great guy but has a lot of other irons in the fire. My point is I have way more free time to go than he does. I have tried a few other guys but there were too many differences. As a bow hunter, good partners are few and far between where I live.

I'd hunt with my brother but sadly he lives too far away and in another Province.

hunter1947
07-30-2008, 08:24 AM
You are so right with your post Terry.

The best thing to do when choosing a hunting partner is to go out on small weekender trips where you get to know if he will pull his weight and also if you can both get along and both see eye to eye.

I have also lost some hunting partners over the years ,one being my youngest brother that move to Saskatchewan and the other to drugs and one as becoming a work a'holic.

I know have found a couple young bucks one that thinks like me and lives to hunt ,I found a gold mine when I met this person two years ago and it was on this forum where I found him ,his name on this form is Blacktailstalker.

I also was introduced to one of his friend that is also a great guy ,he is 23 years old and is unbelievable person.

I get so excited when ether one connects with an animal ,its just like I shot it when they come back and tell me about it and say to me lets go get it.

Like you said Terry it is sometimes hard to find a hunting partner that will do all of what expect from him.

I hope you find a few that will fit in as hunting partners in the years to come.

I am sorry to hear about you best friend becoming a drug attic ,all you can do is be there for him when the time comes around after he is recovering from this bas***d thing that some people fall into.

PS good luck on finding a few hunting partners in the near future and don't forget about this forum ,there are people on here that might end as being your hunting partner for years to come ,this is where I found a couple of them HBC http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon12.gif .

Steeleco
07-30-2008, 08:26 AM
It's is hard to find someone you can "bond" with. My hunting buddy and I almost think alike nowadays. Since finding HBC, I've met a few great guys I'd spend time afield with. As always, more desire than time!!

brotherjack
07-30-2008, 09:46 AM
Wow - I'm glad I hunt with The Wife(tm). No worries, other than she always shoots the big ones before I get a chance to. ;)

Avalanche123
07-30-2008, 09:55 AM
I should add that if I was a rifle hunter, there are a few more people that I could hunt with. However I have found that the two strategies are not that compatible. Stalking takes on a whole new meaning.....

BigBanger
07-30-2008, 11:07 AM
Ive got a good hunting buddy . We get along great pulls his waight and all . Butt... he always wants to hunt side by side with me and the guy drags his feet big time . When I say somthing he gets all mad and starts walking real fast . lol I have a blast everytime we are out so I guess thats all that matters .

Red Foreman
07-30-2008, 12:42 PM
My hunting buddies are my regular buddies.We hang out,go camping,fishing ect year round.So there's no surprizes come hunting season,we all know each other and get along together.

moosinaround
07-30-2008, 01:02 PM
I will get to know a person a little before I'll head out into the bush on a trip of a lifetime. Try some day trips, maybe an overnighter, if it all works out then try a week trip. I have worked in remote camps with forestry crews for weeks at a time, and I have learned how to put up with assholes. Hunting is different, I am paying to be there with that person, versus being payed to be there with them. I went out bear hunting with a new guy this spring, and we had a pretty good time. Sometimes you just have to try out new hunting partners. You might find a really good reliable person to share the hunt with. Moosin

BCbillies
07-30-2008, 05:01 PM
Great thread! Couldn't agree more that finding a good partner can be one of the toughest parts of the hunt. When you find that buddy treat them well. I get pretty stoked about heading out with a buddy who is equally as passionate about the hunt and holds similar values on life and the outdoors. It can be a long painful trip if you don't really know your partner and realize soon into the hunt that you should have brought two tents rather than one! :-o

bsa30-06
07-30-2008, 05:21 PM
I spend alot of time hunting alone, but i have met atleast two people from this site that i would not hesitate to have along on any trip.I have been on a few day trips with these guys and i know we all think alike.

srupp
07-30-2008, 05:29 PM
Tim is a GREAT hunting partner..and his strengths are not my strengths and my strengths are not his strengths so we compliment each others abilities wonderfully.Its just I get so much time off and he cant always get the time..;but I have hunted with some wonderful people from this site and some I still have yet to hunt with but woulod certainly like to...

Steven

waistdeep
07-30-2008, 05:30 PM
I have been very fortunate, when I moved to BC some 20 years ago I met a fellow and we have hunted together ever since. He knows me and I know him, and we could write a book on our experiences great to trust someone in the toughest situations. Then again great feeling to look at hunting pictures over the years and see the same two guys looking back at you with big smiles beside the trophies.

kloosterboer
07-30-2008, 07:15 PM
I have a pretty good hunting partner he's my dad! The best part is he is the one that pays:lol: Hopefully he'll keep paying for a few more years!!!

Little Hawk
07-31-2008, 06:31 AM
Howdy,

Thanks for diving in dudes! For me, this is a very emotional topic.
Sadly, I've terminated good friendships because of going hunting with someone.

Maybe, the thing to do early on when you meet someone is go hunting with them before there's so much at stake.

Sure do find out what they're made of in the bush.

You guy's who hunt with your kids are sure lucky. My boy is 23 and hasn't shown any real interest in hunting yet; but he likes to shoot at the range and one of his best friends just bought a new 7mm/mag so who knows, maybe next year?

As far as hunting with my spouse goes, I love her to death but getting away hunting is our annual reprieve from each other. Maybe, I could use this to advantage... one trip away with the boys and another with her!

Yee-ha! Think I'm on to something here.

Cheers,
Terry

happygilmore
07-31-2008, 06:49 AM
I had a neighbor I was hunting with who thought it was funny to yell out excitedly "there's a ..............squirrel". Funny the first time, the other 546 times it was getting to be a bit old!

I've been hunting with my best friend since we were knee high stalking chickadees with our pellet guns. After that long hunting together everything is second nature, half the time you don't even have to speak the other knows what you were going to say.
Funny how you don't notice the little things that mesh until you have to find a new hunting partner.

hunter1947
07-31-2008, 06:50 AM
Howdy,

Thanks for diving in dudes! For me, this is a very emotional topic.
Sadly, I've terminated good friendships because of going hunting with someone.

Maybe, the thing to do early on when you meet someone is go hunting with them before there's so much at stake.

Sure do find out what they're made of in the bush.

You guy's who hunt with your kids are sure lucky. My boy is 23 and hasn't shown any real interest in hunting yet; but he likes to shoot at the range and one of his best friends just bought a new 7mm/mag so who knows, maybe next year?

As far as hunting with my spouse goes, I love her to death but getting away hunting is our annual reprieve from each other. Maybe, I could use this to advantage... one trip away with the boys and another with her!

Yee-ha! Think I'm on to something here.

Cheers,
Terry
Terry don't be afraid to hook up with someone on this site for a few hunts ,Like you said maybe I should go out on a few hunts with them and see what they are made of ,I have done it and it payed off big time ,good luck http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif.

fozzy
07-31-2008, 07:36 PM
Great thread Terry, you're not the only one that this happens to. Been hunting with the same core crew for lots of years but slowly expanding. I hunt with my Wife some but not nearly enough. She doesn't have the bug quite as bad as me. :)
Last year I was the bad grouchy partner on our Elk trip, sore berries seem to do that to a guy. :( :oops: