PDA

View Full Version : got my girl friend her first bow

Kitimat Killer
07-29-2008, 06:28 PM
hey guys how's it going got my girl friend her first bow after seeing me get my bear this spring with my bow she wanted to get into it so i bought her one not to long a go. I bought her a diamond by bowtech im starting her off at 30pnds and going up from there she is doing really good and loves it now here is a pic of her shooting and the target after a round of arrows
kk
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/n615940112_3792032_5546.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=9894&size=big&cat=500)
and the deer after
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/n615940112_3792033_5906.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=9895&size=big&cat=500)

oddsix
07-29-2008, 06:31 PM
Great way to start out. cool pics.

huntwriter
07-29-2008, 07:14 PM
Great way to get the girlfriend hunting and get a new hunting partner at the same time. We need more huntresses in our ranks. A lot more!

Kitimat Killer
07-29-2008, 07:23 PM
thanks guys ya i love it she jsut told me shes calling in sick so she can go with me this weekend after goat with my bow so i don't have to go solo sorry for the pore quallity on the photos but they were taking with my cell phone
kk

Avalanche123
07-29-2008, 07:33 PM
Good on ya for getting her into it.

Good luck with your goat!

Bow Walker
07-29-2008, 07:39 PM
Good on her for getting you to spend your money:rolleyes:. Also it's good for her to be practising with the quiver on the bow, as that's the way the bow will be rigged for the hunt. (?)

If I might offer a tad bit of advice? Well - here goes anyway:redface:.....

Just looking at the picture I'd like to suggest that you shorten the release. By that I mean the distance from her palm to the release head. She seems to be reaching forward to find the trigger. Most release shooters that I know (me included) like the head of the release to rest just at the first joint of the trigger finger (after the palm) - when the hand is held in the "palm up" position.

That should bring the bowhand shoulder down to a more natural and comfortable position. Also. (I know, I know - enough, already!) Just one more small thing.

It looks as if the peep might be a tad too low as she seems to have to bend her head into the string to look through it. As a test - have her draw the bow with her eyes closed (and an arrow nocked), have her come to a comfortable - head upright - draw and anchor. Get her to open her eyes only when she is comfortably settled into "full draw". When she opens her shooting eye, she should be looking right through the peep. If not, then adjust the peep so that she is.

You might then have to adjust the sight up or down a bit to get back to hitting the target, but you'll be able to "gang adjust" the whole sight for elevation. That should bring the point of impact back to where its supposed to be.

Sorry to look like I'm picking on you/her, but I do think it'll help improve her ability, plus it should be more comfortable and also let her shoot/practice a lot longer without getting a sore neck/shoulder(s). If I'm barging in where you don't need/want any advice - disregard 90% of the above.:redface:

Good luck this season, and remember to post pics with her success story.

Dan.

[quote=Kitimat Killer;308595]hey guys how's it going got my girl friend her first bow after seeing me get my bear this spring with my bow she wanted to get into it so i bought her one not to long a go. I bought her a diamond by bowtech im starting her off at 30pnds and going up from there she is doing really good and loves it now here is a pic of her shooting and the target after a round of arrows
kk
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/n615940112_3792032_5546.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=9894&size=big&cat=500)

Kitimat Killer
07-29-2008, 07:49 PM
hey Bow walker i'll take all the advice i can get i have been shooting for awile but am no pro at it that for sure it's to teach some one when don't know everything about it thanks for all the advice

kk

Bow Walker
07-30-2008, 07:10 PM
It's really hard to tell by just that one picture, but I hope my nosey-ness helps out a bit.

A pro? Certainly not me! I just love the sport.

huntwriter
07-30-2008, 10:23 PM
Bow Walker – I hold my trigger finger almost the same way as in the picture and not as you suggested. Not knocking you, there are many ways to skin a cat.:smile:

The reason I do it that way is because I set my release trigger so that it goes off the moment I touch it with the tip of my finger. No particular reason other than that I like it that way.

Bow Walker
07-31-2008, 10:03 AM
Yup....those poor felines get their comeuppance in many different ways, there's no denying that. I go by the adage that "If it works for you, that's great". But...

When someone is just starting out I find it's a good habit to shoot like the hundreds-of-thousands of other archers, both professional and amateur. Get the basics down and then - if you want - you can develop your own style based on a solid foundation.

The majority of shooters that I know like to have the first crease of the index finger (from the tip) as the pressure point on the trigger. My thinking is that this method stems from gun shooting. This way doesn't promote a jerky trigger release, but it does help in a smooth, constant-pressure trigger release. Just another hedge against the dreaded "target panic".

I'd also like to see an anchoring point (for her) that has the index finger knuckle (at the palm-end of the finger) tucked in under her ear and snugged up to the jawbone. A very repeatable anchor that is easily found even with gloves on, and it will raise her head to the upright position, thus relieving neck strain over longer shooting sessions. That should make practice much more comfortable and fun to do.

Kitimat Killer - another tip has popped into my vacant brain. Hear it rattling around?

Does her sight housing fill the peep aperture? I mean is the reflective ring on the sight housing just inside the circle of the peep? Does it fill the peep aperture? That makes it easy to have the pins in the middle of the sight window and allows for a critically important (and repeatable) aiming/shooting system. If the sight housing isn't lined up within the peep aperture the same way every time the point of impact for the arrow can (and will) change as much as 4 - 6 inches even when shooting at 20 yards. It's true - I found out the hard way.

Good shooting and have fun when practicing.

greybark
07-31-2008, 12:39 PM
:idea: Hey KK , For your next posted photos of your GF shooting I suggest adding a dozen of those fake bullet holes on the house widows . Heh, Heh.
Good luck on your Goat hunt and your ladies shooting .
Cheers