PDA

View Full Version : Leupold Rangefinder

Brambles
07-29-2008, 06:19 PM
Looking to sell my Elite 1500 and get a Leupold RX-II rangefinder or one of the rangefinders with the True Ballistic range function. Has anyone used these rangefinders, or more specifically the RX-II. How do you like it?

How is this compared to Bushnell ARC?

ruttinbuck
07-29-2008, 07:03 PM
I have the RXII and do like it.
I live at the base of a large sage hill and bounce the laser from it all over the grade and different distances.
Seems to work great both at distance reading and compensation for grade out to about 500 yds in open terrain,cloudy or clear weather.I have had problems getting it to bounce a beam off a rock in a flat cutblock at 300yds under certain cloudy conditions.
Then it will turn around and read distances to fir trees 300yds away on a hillside in the rain.
Best I can tell it works better with more contrast between your target and the back ground.I can't say if the grade makes a difference or not,but it works flawlessly when ranging targets above your position.
I have'nt used a bushy RF so can't comment on the ARC.
For $275can I think it was worth it as I hunt mostly open country and open fir ridges.RB

Brambles
07-29-2008, 07:27 PM
I have the RXII and do like it.
I live at the base of a large sage hill and bounce the laser from it all over the grade and different distances.
Seems to work great both at distance reading and compensation for grade out to about 500 yds in open terrain,cloudy or clear weather.I have had problems getting it to bounce a beam off a rock in a flat cutblock at 300yds under certain cloudy conditions.
Then it will turn around and read distances to fir trees 300yds away on a hillside in the rain.
Best I can tell it works better with more contrast between your target and the back ground.I can't say if the grade makes a difference or not,but it works flawlessly when ranging targets above your position.
I have'nt used a bushy RF so can't comment on the ARC.
For $275can I think it was worth it as I hunt mostly open country and open fir ridges.RB

My Elite 1500 does well for ranging, obviously not as fast or clear as the leica but it gets me by as far as sheer distance is concerned, however I think 1500 yds is optimistic, managed to squeeze 1200 yds from it in perfect conditions when it was new but it seems like the norm is 800 yards or so. Past that it gets real picky on whether or not its going to register a reading.

I just want something that is going to help out for steep downhill shots for goat, sheep and Mule hunting. Too often I"ve heard of guys shooting animals that range in excess of 400 yards and have to aim low because the actual ballistic distance is substantially less. I would hate to miss an animal on a steep shot because I can't figure out the math and angle of the slope all the while fighting off buck fever.

ruttinbuck
07-29-2008, 08:19 PM
It definately will help with the compensation for the angle,does that well.I don't care if only ranges to 500yds either as I don't shoot much past 400 yds regularily anyways.Let alone when jacked up on horns.RB

Steeleco
07-29-2008, 09:33 PM
I have an RXII. The first one, was a P.O.S. but Korth replaced it no trouble. The new one is great, ranged 2 mulies last fall as 525yds and some elk this spring at 450yds. It's got lots of fancy do dads that I don't use but otherwise it been great.

Lets just say it will range much further than I'll ever shoot!!!

todbartell
07-29-2008, 10:20 PM
A couple years ago I played around with an RXIII, didnt like it one bit. CLuttered display and weak laser I found. I tried the 1500 ARC and found it way better, ended up buying one. When the price of the Leica CRF came down I sold the Elite and bought a 1200Y. If you want the ARC-type features I would suggest you look at the Scout 1000 ARC for a compact LRF

Johnnybear
07-29-2008, 11:13 PM
I bought the Leupy cause it fits great in my shirt pocket and well it's a Leupy. It's a great unit once you have it wired but I hate not having an LED reticle for low light situations. I read the Leica is the best one going.

Brambles
07-30-2008, 03:21 AM
If you want the ARC-type features I would suggest you look at the Scout 1000 ARC for a compact LRF

I was wondering about that model, I do definitly want it more compact than my elite1500 and that was an appealing thing about the RX-II. I'll look at the Scout 1000 ARC.

open-sights
07-31-2008, 07:03 PM
Leupold addressed the concerns with cluttered reticle and cycling through BS to get back to push button ranging. Now it is easily programable if you want the add ons and has an easy start feature, ie. push a button - get a range.