PDA

View Full Version : What's the secret to getting stone sheep ??

mark4
07-29-2008, 02:01 PM
Heading up north this friday- Any tips, advice, experiences would be appreciated.

bigwhiteys
07-29-2008, 02:04 PM
Good Luck!!!!

bozzdrywall
07-29-2008, 02:07 PM
Hunt hard, look close, and aim small, and kill something LOL

HighCountry
07-29-2008, 02:39 PM
Don't forget Camera....

4 point
07-29-2008, 03:26 PM
Spot them before they spot you. As they'll be gone otherwise.
Have fun and stay safe.

Kitimat Killer
07-29-2008, 03:49 PM
long days behind the binos glass more then walking just cuz you don't see one right away don't mean there not there
good luck

MIL720
07-29-2008, 03:54 PM
Try to get above them..confuses them if they see you and they usually look everywhere but up..

srupp
07-29-2008, 03:58 PM
Hell if I know..lol....

Steven

brno375
07-29-2008, 05:01 PM
Timing is everything

Avalanche123
07-29-2008, 06:48 PM
IMHO.....being very fit, well prepared, and very patient.

Ok I am 0 for 3 however I still feel it is important.

Best of luck to you.

jml11
07-29-2008, 07:04 PM
Hunt slow and glass. Most guys just miss seeing them.

A good example is from our hunt last year. We spotted a solo legal ram feeding in a grassy basin and I figured there had to be more around (rams are often in small bachelor groups). After an hour of searching we couldn't see another one so we took him. After hiking up to him we spotted another ram in the talus a few hundred yards behind him. He must have bedded in the rock while we watched the other one and lucky for us he wasn't scared by the shot that got the first one. He was legal and we a had a double header. If the first ram wasn't legal we probably would have moved on never knowing the second ram was even there. I'll be glassing harder next time. We were lucky in this case. This area is hunted fairly hard by residents and I know of two other parties in the area before us that must have missed seeing them...

Kitimat Killer
07-29-2008, 07:20 PM
Hunt slow and glass. Most guys just miss seeing them.

A good example is from our hunt last year. We spotted a solo legal ram feeding in a grassy basin and I figured there had to be more around (rams are often in small bachelor groups). After an hour of searching we couldn't see another one so we took him. After hiking up to him we spotted another ram in the talus a few hundred yards behind him. He must have bedded in the rock while we watched the other one and lucky for us he wasn't scared by the shot that got the first one. He was legal and we a had a double header. If the first ram wasn't legal we probably would have moved on never knowing the second ram was even there. I'll be glassing harder next time. We were lucky in this case. This area is hunted fairly hard by residents and I know of two other parties in the area before us that must have missed seeing them...

i know what you mean the second year we went up it was kinda like that too i was glassing for about an hour or more and was thinking about getting up to leave to check out diff bassin when all of a suden a ram appread right smack in the middle of the bassin feeding so really start glassing and there were 5 more rams bedded down in the rocks if that ram never stood up i don't think i would of seen any of them all though there were no legal rams but still would of never seen them.

Kechika
07-29-2008, 07:24 PM
Slow and steady wins the race.Good luck

Avalanche123
07-29-2008, 07:24 PM
Another "not so secret secret " is very good optics.

Rattler
07-29-2008, 08:35 PM
Glass, glass and glass....until your eyeballs are sore. I highly recommend using a spotting scope to glass with...

ARGR
07-29-2008, 10:00 PM
Don't forget the shit tickets

steel_ram
07-29-2008, 10:34 PM
Be first to the good spots. Luck and good weather.

hunter1947
07-30-2008, 06:50 AM
I have never hunted for sheep of any sort ,but I would think that first of all you have to be in an area that carries a good number of sheep.

Weather is a big factor as well ,you don't want to be fogged in for most of the trip .

Putting the miles on every day and glassing are key factors as well.

Being in top shape is a nother key factor ,if you can go just that bit further makes all the difference in the world on maybe connecting and not.
Hunting sheep is kinda like hunting elk ,the harder you work the better your chances are on filling your tag http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif.