PDA

View Full Version : Grizzlies at 'great risk;' hunting ban urged

Avalanche123
07-28-2008, 08:07 PM
http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/news/story.html?id=d36bb301-f6a4-4d55-8bad-228686a8e259

B.C. - As hunters set their sights on the fall season, conservationists are calling on the provincial government to keep the grizzlies out of the hunt.
A coalition of scientists, conservationists, and animal advocates sent a letter to Premier Gordon Campbell Monday, suggesting the government ban grizzly hunting because the bears are at "great risk" and need to be protected.
The move comes at the same time that Don Kunka, of Williams Lake, was convicted and fined $11,000 for shooting a female grizzly in Tweedsmuir provincial park in 2004. He took just her head.
http://a123.g.akamai.net/f/123/12465/1d/media.canada.com/d791960c-73fb-4890-999a-2abd80596eff/grizzly.jpg?size=lhttp://a123.g.akamai.net/f/123/12465/1d/www.canada.com/images/widgets/bullet_story_headline_bigger.gif View Larger Image (javascript:void window.open('storyimage.html?id=d36bb301-f6a4-4d55-8bad-228686a8e259&img=24c80e02-3932-49b4-b810-16592a6b7e13&path=%2fvancouversun%2fnews%2f', 'storyimage', 'width=760,height=550,location=no,menubar=yes,scro llbars=yes,resizable=yes')) A coalition of scientists, conservationists, and animal advocates sent a letter to Premier Gordon Campbell Monday, suggesting the government ban grizzly hunting because the bears are at "great risk" and need to be protected.

A record 430 bears were killed for the same purpose in B.C. last year, said Chris Genovali, executive director of Raincoast Conservation.

"It's purely for trophy; it's not like going out hunting for deer where you're going to put venison in the freezer for winter," Genovali said. "It doesn't make sense. We don't know how many grizzly bears there are in British Columbia and the government's population estimates are wildly inflated, in our opinion. A precautionary effort is needed."
The environment ministry suggests there are 17,000 grizzly bears in B.C.; this is up from a population estimate of 6,600 bears in 1972-79, and 13,000 bears in 2004. Genovali claims the government data lacks scientific credibility, and adds the grizzly hunt is a "black eye for our province and our country."
B.C. grizzly bears face a host of threats, including habitat loss from industrial logging, mining, and energy development, conservationists say, as well as urban sprawl and hunting. The effort to save them has been ongoing since 2001 when the Liberal government lifted the hunting ban on grizzlies.
Environment Minister Barry Penner insists the government is focused on sustainably managing the grizzly bear population, using "sound science." He insists only 365 bears were killed by hunting last year.
The government allows 2.5 per cent of the grizzly bears to be harvested each year, he said, and estimates the population could be sustained with up to nine per cent killed. This is based on inventories done since 1996.
"Scientists believe a bigger threat to the grizzly bear comes from climate change and other threats to the land base," he said.
Penner noted the government does ban grizzly hunting in areas where there is a potential threat to the bears, such as the south Okanagan and the northern Cascades in Manning Park.
He said the government is cracking down on illegal hunting with the maximum penalty increased from $50,000 to $250,000 and jail time boosted from six months to two years.
The B.C. Wildlife Federation sent a letter in support to the provincial government, denouncing the "irresponsible assertions" made by the conservationist alliance.

Avalanche123
07-28-2008, 08:11 PM
You should also read some of the comments people have posted. Wow....

07-28-2008, 10:45 PM
One of the biggest threats to grizzly bears is potential "management by emotions" instead of "science" and that's exactly what these green wackos are promoting.

Steeleco
07-28-2008, 10:53 PM
Some good comments from our side. I just had to put my nickel in!!

BCBear
07-28-2008, 11:40 PM
Hopefully the only grizzly at risk will be the BIG BOAR at the end of my 300 mag when I get my Spring 2009 LEH:mrgreen:

huntwriter
07-29-2008, 01:12 AM
What a lot of baloney. Didn’t the Vancouver Sun carry a similar article a few weeks back?

Here is the comment I wrote to that piece of garbage journalism.

Really makes you wonder where the animal rights and their supporters get their facts from. It also shows that just because an organization has a fancy name doesn’t mean that they know what they are talking about.

The article is purely aimed to create an emotional reaction from city people. The fact is that British Columbia has a thriving grizzly bear population. So much so that in some areas the grizzly has become a very real danger to people and not the other way around as pointed out ad nausea in this article.

There are now grizzly bears on Vancouver Island and in the Lower Mainland, both these regions are not known as traditional grizzly habitat. It looks very much like that the sole agenda of the article is to create an antipathy against hunting and hunters.

Yet ironically enough it is thanks to millions of hunter dollars that made it possible for the grizzly bear to experience such a tremendous recovery. The real story is that by and large it is the hunters that pay for the lion share of wildlife and habitat restoration/conservation in British Columbia through the purchase of hunting licenses and membership fees to the B.C. Wildlife Federation, Ducks Unlimited, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation and many other hunter founded conservation organization. All can enjoy the results of this effort, even the fact twisting anti hunters.

Squirrelnuts
07-29-2008, 05:43 AM
Genovali claims the government data lacks scientific credibility, and adds the grizzly hunt is a "black eye for our province and our country."

Gotta love how the government scientists always have their numbers wrong when unbiased groups such as Raincoast Conservation and Bearwatch have theirs right... :rolleyes:

I wonder if any of these assholes actually get out of the city and into the bush.

hunter1947
07-29-2008, 06:21 AM
If the grizzlies need to be protected then they the animal rights people should head out there and do there job ,maybe a few might not come back.

I can see there point on this issue ,everyone has there opinion.

They the people that protest the grizzly bear hunt should do there home work and read up on the grizzly bear population be for yakking there heads off about the population being in danger.

If they did read up on the numbers now and what they were years back it would show that we have more grizzlies now then back years ago ,just goes to show you that the wildlife management are doing there jobs right managing the grizzly bear harvest through out BChttp://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif.

07-29-2008, 06:31 AM
They don't care about facts or reality, they only have one goal and they'll do or say anything to attain it! There are thousands of do-gooders who believe them, send them money, and write letters to government in support of their cause in an emotional reaction. Minister Penner and Premier Campbell are being placed under tremendous pressure. It's up to us to counter-act with letters of our own.

scoot
07-29-2008, 06:48 AM
They don't care about facts or reality, they only have one goal and they'll do or say anything to attain it! There are thousands of do-gooders who believe them, send them money, and write letters to government in support of their cause in an emotional reaction. Minister Penner and Premier Campbell are being placed under tremendous pressure. It's up to us to counter-act with letters of our own.

very good point, they will say anything. I posted this AM and mentioned that we do not need any more "feel good" legislation to please people that have the blind pulled over thier eyes.

huntwriter
07-29-2008, 07:05 AM
I just checked the article and they did not post the comment I wrote.:mad:
Perhaps the Vancouver Sun does not like showing to many voices speaking out in favor of hunting. That way they can give a largely ignorant readership the impression that animal rights are in the majority.

07-29-2008, 07:15 AM
We'll probably never win in the the letters to the editor column. Why not send an e-mail directly to Gordon and Barry in Victoria. Politicians are bean counters and numbers of letters do count. I sent this last week.

July 22nd, 2008

Dear Premier Campbell and Minister Penner:

I note with interest the renewed efforts of the anti-hunting community to stop grizzly bear hunting in BC. I urge you to resist this unscientific and emotionally based campaign.

Grizzly bear densities in BC are determined by the most rigorous and accurate scientic methods used anywhere in North America and most citizens have full confidence in their accuracy and in the ability of the Fish and Wildlife staff to efficiently and sustainably manage the grizzly bear population. Harvest and overall mortality of 430 grizzly bears in 2007 represents only .025 of the overall population, well below the recruitment rate of 4.0 to 6.0 % of sub-adult grizzly bears into the adult bear population. Harvest levels due to hunting are thus very conservative in regards to overall bear populations, are already extremelly tightly regulated, and do not represent a threat to grizzly bears in BC. Contrary to the claim of the anti-hunting people, it is very likely (considering the above) that grizzly bear populations are actually expanding in many areas of the Province.

The anti-hunting movement is basing their demand on unproven assumptions and emotion, not on sound wildlife management practices, and in the long term do not represent the best interests of British Columbians or of grizzly bears.

I urge you to continue to support sound, scientific wildlife management for grizzly bears in BC.

Thank you gentlemen for the opportunity to comment on this issue.

Little Hawk
07-29-2008, 07:24 AM
Howdy,

I'm not a trophy-hunter but I have learned a little about bear behavior from reading from knowledgeable author's: Herrero, Shelton, McClellan etc..

After learning what I have from these great authors', one thing stands out first and foremost in my mind with respect to the bear-hunting question:

Non-hunted bear populations - over time - loose their fear of humans.

So, simply put, if you support the end of bear-hunting in BC you support increasing bear-human conflict, including bear-attacks on humans. End of story.

PS. Take away their primary food source (salmon) and you open another kettle of fish altogether (people!)

Check this out: http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008/jul/24/russia.wildlife

Cheers,
Terry

huntwriter
07-29-2008, 07:26 AM
I did that too 6616, but in addition I also would like the common man/women on the street to know the facts.:wink:

07-29-2008, 07:27 AM
We'll probably never win in the the letters to the editor column. Why not send an e-mail directly to Gordon and Barry in Victoria. Politicians are bean counters and numbers of letters do count. I sent this last week.

July 22nd, 2008

Dear Premier Campbell and Minister Penner:

I note with interest the renewed efforts of the anti-hunting community to stop grizzly bear hunting in BC. I urge you to resist this unscientific and emotionally based campaign.

Grizzly bear densities in BC are determined by the most rigorous and accurate scientic methods used anywhere in North America and most citizens have full confidence in their accuracy and in the ability of the Fish and Wildlife staff to efficiently and sustainably manage the grizzly bear population. Harvest and overall mortality of 430 grizzly bears in 2007 represents only .025 of the overall population, well below the recruitment rate of 4.0 to 6.0 % of sub-adult grizzly bears into the adult bear population. Harvest levels due to hunting are thus very conservative in regards to overall bear populations, are already extremelly tightly regulated, and do not represent a threat to grizzly bears in BC. Contrary to the claim of the anti-hunting people, it is very likely (considering the above) that grizzly bear populations are actually expanding in many areas of the Province.

The anti-hunting movement is basing their demand on unproven assumptions and emotion, not on sound wildlife management practices, and in the long term do not represent the best interests of British Columbians or of grizzly bears.

I urge you to continue to support sound, scientific wildlife management for grizzly bears in BC.

Thank you gentlemen for the opportunity to comment on this issue.

I don't mean to imply that letters to the editor won't help everything helps. But if you want to write to Victoria get the addresses here: http://www.dir.gov.bc.ca/

A simple e-mail will do. I got a "thank you for your concern" reply within 24 hours from the Premier's office, meaning the letter was at least tabulated.

Avalanche123
07-29-2008, 08:45 AM
I just noticed that this same article was re-run on the Sun's webiste a few minutes ago. It is almost as if they are "bumping" it up to keep it in their news. Maybe someone on their internet site is doing this?

I do find it strange as it is very similar to what ran a few weeks ago.

With due respect to the above letter, I would not reference this group as "anti-hunting" for a few reasons. I would just make reference to them as various lobbyist or something. I do have a few friends that are hunters but do not support the grizzly bear hunt for their own reasons. They certainly are not anti-hunters. Furhter more, it puts us into two camps, "them against us" which rarely wins.....IMHO.

Well done on the letter otherwise.

bigwhiteys
07-29-2008, 09:45 AM
I just fired off a letter to Gordo and Barry.

We should put up a website FOR the Grizzly Bear hunt in BC. Showcase stories of Grizzly Hunts, Pictures, Data, Etc...

I would gladly supply my time and server to design and host the website. We could have it ranked right up at the top of Google in no-time.

Carl

mainland hunter
07-29-2008, 10:14 AM
that's a great idea Carl, I'd love to see something like that come together

huntwriter
07-29-2008, 11:40 AM
Avalanche123 – The editors of the Vancouver Sun are all animal rights friendly. That same article has been published in the paper twice inside two months and now twice on the website in three days.

Bigwhiteys – Such a website exists already. They offer detailed information on black and grizzly bear conservation, population information, habitat and areas most populated with bears. In addition they offer bear hunting information and outfitter information. As soon I have a little time I will search for it (lost the bookmark by the last cleanup) and post it here.

Good on you to write Gordo too. The more the merrier.

bigwhiteys
07-29-2008, 11:43 AM
Hi Huntwriter,

Yes I know... It's called http://www.bearsinbc.com/

They have their last news update showing from 2001. One of the members of this forum is actually responsible for that website. And it does provide lots of information. I was thinking something a little more "hunter oriented" stories of hunts, pics of hunts etc...

It's better then the Anti-sites that come up in the search engines.

Carl

Barracuda
07-29-2008, 12:02 PM
That sounds like a great idea , Bear hunting is my personal favourite hunting so things that promote it are always welcome.

huntwriter
07-29-2008, 01:08 PM
Hi Huntwriter,

Yes I know... It's called http://www.bearsinbc.com/

They have their last news update showing from 2001. One of the members of this forum is actually responsible for that website. And it does provide lots of information. I was thinking something a little more "hunter oriented" stories of hunts, pics of hunts etc...

Carl

That's the one.

A hunter orientated bear website would be a good idea. Wit five websites and blogs I am filled up with maintaining and updating, no room for another one. Lol.

Squirrelnuts
07-29-2008, 03:31 PM
Gotta love the antis:

DaleMon, Jul 28, 08 at 09:04 PM
shooting bears is not hunting, its just senseless killing of a species, I don't see how any real hunter can get a thrill from it, it takes no hunting talent to do so and if anyone says different they are full of it, I worked around Grizzlies for a lot of years and to shoot one is cowardly, take it with a knife and You'll have my respect, not 300 yards away with a cannon,

Probably worked as a tourist wrangler at the top of Grouse Mountain. Bears (with names) behind an electric fence don't count.

On another note, I'm surprised CBC radio's Almanac (with that Mark Forsythe twat) hasn't jumped on this yet. They're usually right on top of promoting this BS.

silvicon
07-29-2008, 04:53 PM
there is a provincial election coming up and the left is already in dis-information mode to be ahead in the election propaganda.
remember the likes of moe shihota, dosansh (that douchbag) and all the other left criminals?
they had a major grizzly research program going to the cost
of $ 25 million!
the outcome was not what they wanted and the records are sealed!

308BAR
07-29-2008, 05:04 PM
Everyone knows that all hunters that hunt legally for Griz is doing it for ceremonial purposes. ;):evil: I be if I ever hunted griz.

EvanG
07-29-2008, 05:42 PM
Mark that dudes words in the original article where somewhat defends hunting for the purpose of filling the freezer for the winter, he may have to eat them words one day.

brno375
07-29-2008, 05:54 PM
I was thinking something a little more "hunter oriented" stories of hunts, pics of hunts etc...

Carl

I'll submit a story and some pics Carl.

Timber-hunt
07-29-2008, 06:08 PM
should relocate a few in Stanley Park for the city people lol

Avalanche123
07-29-2008, 07:37 PM
There is nothing on the CBC site and it appears this has dropped off the Vancouver Suns website for now too.

I don't think Mark Forsyth is that bad of a dude....his job is more of a moderator than a reporter and I think he does an ok job IMHO.

Little Hawk
07-30-2008, 06:23 AM
End the hunt? The Province will need a lot more of these signs...

http://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=10202

huntwriter
07-30-2008, 10:52 AM
End the hunt? The Province will need a lot more of these signs...

http://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=10202

Love that last paragraph.:lol: