PDA

View Full Version : Sockeye Closing Early-wednesday Night

ratherbefishin
07-28-2008, 07:59 PM
I was just told an e-mail came out from Fisheries today-sockeye closes- rivers and ocean-wednesday night.Has anyone else seen this?

betteroffishing
07-28-2008, 08:52 PM
i just looked at dfo pac and could find no notice of an end to the opening, still says " till further notice"

shoot to kill
07-28-2008, 08:59 PM
http://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/xnet/content/fns/index.cfm?pg=view_notice&lang=en&DOC_ID=111175&ID=recreational

yup its closing

mark
07-28-2008, 09:49 PM
http://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/xnet/content/fns/index.cfm?pg=view_notice&lang=en&DOC_ID=111175&ID=recreational

yup its closing

Man what a gip! :cry:

BlacktailStalker
07-28-2008, 09:57 PM
Harvest while you can !!

Dirty
07-28-2008, 10:13 PM
I bet that suckered a lot of people in to buying salmon tags and licenses. The tackle stores and the government reap the benefit of the opening. I am happy for the tackle stores but not for the government.

lip_ripper00
07-28-2008, 10:24 PM
Word spread fast, I counted 48 boats anchored along "tin can ally" when I left spagetti bar this evening:eek:. I hope Nasty had a camera to take pictures of the dino they landed.....!!!

Huey
07-28-2008, 10:48 PM
Wow that caught me by surprise!! That sucks the big one!!

ratherbefishin
07-29-2008, 04:42 AM
I'm just heading out to sooke for a crack at them this morning at first light,we'll try for springs after that

Deadshot
07-29-2008, 06:06 AM
Good old fashion money grab......again!

Browningmirage
07-29-2008, 06:58 AM
i dont think tackle stores get all that much from liscences...it goes to the government. Honestly though, salmon tag monies go into a fund for habitat enhancement, i have no problem whatsoever with paying for the salmon tag. It is way cheaper than any of the other "hobbys" we could be doing...gaming comes to mind.

As for the sockeye opening, i cant think of a single person who went out, bought their liscence for the sockeye opening only, and is now going to be bummed out because they wasted their money for a licence...IMHO stop griping and deal with it, be glad we can even fish for salmon at all, god knows they shut it down south of the border because stocks werent big enough to support fishing anymore.

Kechika
07-29-2008, 07:23 AM
Save your green wool for Xmas decorating

Dirty
07-29-2008, 07:26 AM
i dont think tackle stores get all that much from liscences...it goes to the government. Honestly though, salmon tag monies go into a fund for habitat enhancement, i have no problem whatsoever with paying for the salmon tag. It is way cheaper than any of the other "hobbys" we could be doing...gaming comes to mind.

As for the sockeye opening, i cant think of a single person who went out, bought their liscence for the sockeye opening only, and is now going to be bummed out because they wasted their money for a licence...IMHO stop griping and deal with it, be glad we can even fish for salmon at all, god knows they shut it down south of the border because stocks werent big enough to support fishing anymore.

You live in Prince George. I used to work in a sporting goods store in the Lower Mainland. The most money made in the entire year is when Sockeye opens, I can assure you of this. I am not talking about license sales, I am talking about gear sales. In addition, a lot of people only buy their license if the sockeye are open. Try writing 250 licenses in a day :!: (spread among 5 employees). Although some of the money goes to conservation funds, not enough money goes there. When a sockeye opening is only for 5 days after not being open the past year I expect this was a calculated move.

I could care less about the opening or closing as I didn't even fish for them. There are lots of other opportunities for salmon in fresh and saltwater in the Lower Mainland. However, poor management decisions for fishery stocks in the Fraser will have an impact on sports, commercial, and aboriginal fisheries in the near future. Then we will be in the same boat as those from Washington, Oregon, and California.

Fish Hound
07-29-2008, 04:11 PM
Other Notices (FN0511 & FN0529) say there MAY BE further opennings at the end of July and early August.

EvanG
07-29-2008, 05:43 PM
Money Grab

FlyingHigh
07-29-2008, 08:01 PM
You live in Prince George. I used to work in a sporting goods store in the Lower Mainland. The most money made in the entire year is when Sockeye opens, I can assure you of this. I am not talking about license sales, I am talking about gear sales. In addition, a lot of people only buy their license if the sockeye are open. Try writing 250 licenses in a day :!: (spread among 5 employees). Although some of the money goes to conservation funds, not enough money goes there. When a sockeye opening is only for 5 days after not being open the past year I expect this was a calculated move.you remember that well eh Dusty? lol. *ring* "hi, so and so speaking." "uh yeah...is sockeye open?" "yes sir, 2 per day until further notice" "thanks." *click* *ring* start over. fun times. :) i worked in the same shop as Dirty for awhile. what he says is bang on. the most money made for Lower Mainland shops is during sockeye season. sockeye are a big business down here.

personally i only go out once or twice for sockeye, take my 2 and scram as fast as possible to go fly fish for springs on the vedder and avoid the major crowds.

Sitkaspruce
07-29-2008, 08:30 PM
Here is the story from the way the media see's it

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-columbia/story/2008/07/29/bc-salmon-fraser-river.html

Good old CBC reporting....again.

Well at least the flossing will stop for a bit...:p;):lol::p

Cheers

SS

abbyfireguy
07-29-2008, 10:01 PM
Yippee,,,here come the nets!!!!
Blackmarket sockeye for sale in a few days..
Sad really....

Vossie
07-31-2008, 09:48 PM
My buddy and I whacked 4 Sockeye on Sunday and 4 on Tuesday. Spaghetti bar was a zoo all the time. We were on the water at 6 am, at 7 am a fleet of boats came up the river.

What is more concerning is the size restriction on Spring, 30" max. Thats a bummer.

Huey
07-31-2008, 10:46 PM
What is more concerning is the size restriction on Spring, 30" max. Thats a bummer.

Agreed, had to release 2 this week... one was 31" other was 33". Seen a few get bonked that probably should still be swimming according to regs. Always gotta bring a tape measure now!

shoot to kill
07-31-2008, 11:04 PM
that ban will be lifted august 8th. a stupid rule anyways.... wat chance does a fish have after a prolonged fight and lactic acid build up? i watched a lady fight out a 35+ spring and try to revive it for minutes.... he lay side ways in the water bleeding from the gills. im sure that one isnt going far.