PDA

View Full Version : Whats the best elk call???

justin_07
07-28-2008, 06:16 PM
I'm wondering what you guys are using for elk calls??? And if you could suggest any calling Tapes, cds, or videos???

Poguebilt
07-28-2008, 06:20 PM
hoochie moma...

moosinaround
07-28-2008, 06:28 PM
ELK Power bugle!! A Hoochie Momma, Or an ELK Cow talker! That is what we used last year, one elk in the freezer!! Moosin

todbartell
07-28-2008, 06:42 PM
i dont like the hoochies personally but know alot of guys like them. I just dont like having my hands full of calls when they should be on my rifle or binoculars. Cow Girl or a single reed mouth diaphragm for cow calls, double or triple reed diaphragm or the Wayne carlton HS Mac daddy for bugle

mark
07-28-2008, 06:43 PM
another elk! :lol:

Caveman
07-28-2008, 08:08 PM
Justin, Seems as though someone is getting excited. :wink: Mark, Justin is one of the guys I mentioned to you. Looking forward to September myself.

elkdom
07-28-2008, 08:14 PM
ALL elk calls are good if you have mastered them! and ALL elk calls are useless if you havent mastered them ! so its not so much the type of call that you purchase and use but rather that you have the right tones ,the right timming,the right conditions, its much more than blowing a horn or squeezing a "rubber duckee" first read some good books on elk habits and elk methods by proven hunters, and not stories or videos of guys shooting elk inside compounds or on game farms! when bulls are hot they will respond to almost anything, squealling brakes on a car or a pic up truck, a blade of grass held between your thumbs and blow hard into,makes loud 3 tone squeal, a rubber tube 3 feet long or any type of comercial bugle! but if they are not in the mood to bugle and you tromp through the bush blowing elk bugles ,you will hear nothing but maybe elk stampeding off to another drainage for safety!

justin_07
07-28-2008, 09:53 PM
All the info is great!! I realize thats it's not just something you can pick up and go, thats ways i'm trying to get a head start!! Is there any books or media that you could suggest elkdom???? Oh and Greg you better belive that i'm STOKED!!!!! lets go two for two!!!

BlacktailStalker
07-28-2008, 10:04 PM
Spend the time now to learn how to use a diaphram.
Its nice always having the call "at hand" in your mouth to stop an elk or call one at close distances without having to move your hands to exchange a call for a bow/rifle and chance getting busted.
You'll be good enough to cow talk in horny bulls by september if you start now and no commercially made call works as well as a diaphram once you get the hang of it.

mark
07-28-2008, 10:08 PM
All the info is great!! I realize thats it's not just something you can pick up and go, thats ways i'm trying to get a head start!! Is there any books or media that you could suggest elkdom???? Oh and Greg you better belive that i'm STOKED!!!!! lets go two for two!!!

The best training program I can reccomend to you is you tube, type in elk calling. Lots of clips of guys calling and big bulls coming right in. Watch that stuff for an hour and you wont sleep tonight! Try to mimic the calling the guys in the vid are doing as well the elk. See how the bulls respond ect. Ive had bulls in to 10 feet a few times and kept them in bow range for up to 20 minutes on many ocassions. Its the most exciting hunting one can do in BC IMO. Im sweating just thinking about it! :p:lol::D

justin_07
07-28-2008, 10:23 PM
Thats great, I'll check out youtube for sure. Look at what Greg has done to me, were a month and a half away, and I'll be up all night thinking about it! I think i'm going to try the diaphram, and mabey that hoochie momma but is there any calls you prefer Mark???

hunter1947
07-29-2008, 06:43 AM
Lots of the time when you have found elk is to use nothing ,set up and watch and wait.

I have taken a few elk just saying nothing and watching the timber line ..

More so then not when bugling you will push a herd bull away from you ,rather then just set up and wait saying nothing ,if he does not hear you calling he will think there is no danger to loosing his cows and walk out into a slash or other.

The elk call I use most of the time is a triple reed diaphragm made from H&S calls ,I use a grunt tube with the reed to reach out for distance.

Fisher-Dude
07-29-2008, 07:31 AM
I've always been a bit of a traditionalist and used Jones calls. I've got a "few" racks to show for my efforts. ;)

tuchodi
07-29-2008, 07:36 AM
I only use a power bugle to locate bulls and after that I only use a cow call. I use 2 differant cow calls one is the Huchi Mumma and the other is a small mouth reid call called Cow Talk I use both which give differant sounds and it either excites the bulls or sooths them so then you have to decide if you are going to let him come in to the call or sneek up on him.

Ron.C
07-29-2008, 08:09 AM
I have a couple different bugles, but mainly hunt during the bow season and generally don't get much response to bugles, although last year we did call in elk by bugleing late in the evenings and a early couple mornings during the archery season. As far as brands of calls, I think the ELK bugles sound the best. I use various cow calls. I can't remember who said it above but I agree that timing is as important as how or what call you use. I know I have scared off my share of elk by calling at the wrong time, or too loud, or by calling from the wrong spot. But if you have got one interested that wants to play, I think you can be very loud and agressive. That's where experience comes in " something I need more of " and knowing when and how aggressive to call and when to just lay off and act like a hole in the bush.

hunter1947
07-29-2008, 08:23 AM
I have a couple different bugles, but mainly hunt during the bow season and generally don't get much response to bugles, although last year we did call in elk by bugleing late in the evenings and a early couple mornings during the archery season. As far as brands of calls, I think the ELK bugles sound the best. I use various cow calls. I can't remember who said it above but I agree that timing is as important as how or what call you use. I know I have scared off my share of elk by calling at the wrong time, or too loud, or by calling from the wrong spot. But if you have got one interested that wants to play, I think you can be very loud and agressive. That's where experience comes in " something I need more of " and knowing when and how aggressive to call and when to just lay off and act like a hole in the bush.
Very well put wording Ron ,couldn't agree more my self.