PDA

View Full Version : Senior Elk season in Region 4

blackford
07-28-2008, 01:09 PM
Hello Everyone...

Looking for some help here. Since we got no LEh draws this year, my dad would like to take advantage of the over 65 elk season in Region 4. The only issue i am having is its a hell of a drive for somewhere that we have never been before....

so i am wondering how it works. I read the synopsis and it says that you hve to have the 1000000 dollar insurnace policy... thats fine with me....

So i was wondering if anyone can tell me a bit about it...

is it worth going out there....

Let me know what you think...

hunter1947
07-28-2008, 01:51 PM
Hello Everyone...

Looking for some help here. Since we got no LEh draws this year, my dad would like to take advantage of the over 65 elk season in Region 4. The only issue i am having is its a hell of a drive for somewhere that we have never been before....

so i am wondering how it works. I read the synopsis and it says that you hve to have the 1000000 dollar insurnace policy... thats fine with me....

Its worth it all right ,I was into cow elk every day in the EK last year.

I only have to wait 4 more years and bang O.

You shouldn't have a problem if you do your home work.

browningboy
07-28-2008, 02:03 PM
Is this the same hunt that youths can take advantage of as well??:roll:

07-28-2008, 03:46 PM
Hello Everyone...

The liability insurance is for the Grasmere private land pilot project...Other private landowners may ask for it as well, it's their perogative, but not required on Crown Land or on most private land during the youth/Sr GOS.

There's lots of Crown land available under the 1100 metrer line. Go in the youth/Sr season and hunt south of Skookumchuck, preferably south of Cranbrook. The further south you get the better the hunting is. Buy a cheap altimeter or use a GPS to make sure you are below 1100 meters. You'll have a grreat time like H47 says, lots of elk.

blackford
07-28-2008, 08:32 PM
so a few questions... do they just want to see a copy of your home insurance papers? what constitutes as enough.

also does anyone know any farmers out there... i dont want to be knocking on anyones door in the farm and be greated with someone who is anti hunting..

So my dad will be doing the elk hunting but i guess i could still try to get myself a white tail... any around in this time...

not looking for gps coordinates by any means but at the same time i dont want to travel 7 hours each way to be skunked or not be able to find an area...

kishman
07-28-2008, 09:17 PM
I hunted in Reg.4 last year for the first time and saw Elk every day, the cows would've been an easy tag to fill had I had one:cry:. Good luck.

blackford
07-28-2008, 10:10 PM
did you see any deer and grouse?

CoqTrophys
07-28-2008, 10:15 PM
there are no deer in the EK

blackford
07-28-2008, 10:27 PM
ummmm... what is the EK?

sorry i am completely clueless on this region...

07-28-2008, 10:31 PM
so a few questions... do they just want to see a copy of your home insurance papers? what constitutes as enough.

also does anyone know any farmers out there... i dont want to be knocking on anyones door in the farm and be greated with someone who is anti hunting..

So my dad will be doing the elk hunting but i guess i could still try to get myself a white tail... any around in this time...

not looking for gps coordinates by any means but at the same time i dont want to travel 7 hours each way to be skunked or not be able to find an area...

Home insurance papers are not what they want at all. A BCWF membership card is proof of liability insurance, but as stated before there's lots of opportunity on Crown Land where this is not a requiement. It's only a requirement for the Grasmere pilot area, not for the youth/Sr GOS.

Don't be afraid to knock on a ranchers door, most of these guys are getting ate out of house and home by elk and lots of them welcome hunters, will help you out, tell you where to go, even bring out the tractor with front end loader if you get one in some cases. They don't like gut piles left on their fields due to the attraction for coyotes, bears, etc. Just don't bother with the ranches that have the high game fences in place. The country south of Cranbrook is alive with white tails, cow elk/WTD combo is a good hunt.

07-28-2008, 10:33 PM
ummmm... what is the EK?

sorry i am completely clueless on this region...

EK = East Kootenay,,, he's just kidding, there are lots of deer.

blackford
07-28-2008, 10:40 PM
yah i figured.....

i bet there arent any birds, cars or electricity either... and its also kinda like the bermuda triangle... people go in but the never come out? hahah

lip_ripper00
07-28-2008, 10:44 PM
yah i figured.....

and its also kinda like the bermuda triangle... people go in but the never come out? hahah

yep just look at 6616 he went in and said he's never comming out...:p

hunter1947
07-29-2008, 06:29 AM
Blackford ,PM has been sent to you ,good luck http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif getting your cow this fall ,should be no probs filling your tag ,wayne.

hunter1947
07-29-2008, 06:33 AM
did you see any deer and grouse?

Lots of whitetail deer and grouse in region 4-4.

You should be able to fill both whitetail tags ,there like rabbits in this region ,mule deer are harder to find ,4 point restriction on them.

07-29-2008, 06:35 AM
yep just look at 6616 he went in and said he's never comming out...:p

At least spell it right class clown guy, coming is spelled with one m......!!!!!!!

hunter1947
07-29-2008, 06:40 AM
At least spell it right class clown guy, coming is spelled with one m......!!!!!!!
Some people just don't think before posting Andy http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon8.gif ,takes all kinds :roll:.

07-29-2008, 07:05 AM
Some people just don't think before posting Andy http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon8.gif ,takes all kinds :roll:.

Morning Wayne, how are you this fine sunny (at least out here) morning.

Phreddy
07-29-2008, 08:10 PM
Ah yes....Sr. hunt........only one short little year to go. :-)

hunter1947
07-30-2008, 06:59 AM
My hunting partner only has two years left untill he is 65 I have 4 years left to gohttp://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon12.gif .

sfire436
07-30-2008, 08:11 AM
If you are a memeber of the B.C. Wildlife Federation you already have the million insurance.

07-30-2008, 08:18 AM
Just for the record, I think the seniors cow elk hunt stinks. I do agree with the youth hunt, as it is a way to recruit new hunters, but if you're a senior, I would have to guess you're already "recruited". If a higher cow elk harvest is desired, the ministry should simply release for LEH tags.

As an aside.....a well-known butcher who received many of the cows coming in, said that most were wet...so for all you silver heads...at least shoot the calf.

hunter1947
07-30-2008, 08:51 AM
Just for the record, I think the seniors cow elk hunt stinks. I do agree with the youth hunt, as it is a way to recruit new hunters, but if you're a senior, I would have to guess you're already "recruited". If a higher cow elk harvest is desired, the ministry should simply release for LEH tags.

As an aside.....a well-known butcher who received many of the cows coming in, said that most were wet...so for all you silver heads...at least shoot the calf.

Thinning out cows in different zones and allowing silver tips to shoot them makes since to me ,most times they the old farts will have a youth with them to help out with the camp and maybe fill there tag as well.

Now when you get to be a ripe old age of 65 and you still love to hunt and say you have bad legs or other and can't get around as you used to ,then its a good thing they open it for the older people.

Most Hunters that have hunted for years like myself would know the difference between a dry cow or not ,I know that I would http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon12.gif.

Savage Man
07-30-2008, 09:38 AM

I am not a senior and not even close but I think its a great way to keep the elk population where they want it. No it doesn't recriut new hunters but in many cases these seniors are not able to pack like they once were and they have earned the wright to an easier hunt. As for more LEH if you are not a senior or youth and want an ELK get off your butt and work for BULL.

07-30-2008, 10:25 AM

I disagree. By the time you get to be a senior in Canada you have been contributing all your life to the system. Why shouldn't they be allowed a few privileges? More then any other age group they have done more and spent more to give us the hunting opportunities we (up and coming generations) enjoy today. Hopefully when we reach the golden years of hunting careers we will be able pass on what they have to us.

As an aside.....a well-known butcher who received many of the cows coming in, said that most were wet...so for all you silver heads...at least shoot the calf.[/

No matter how thin you slice it, there are always two sides to every claim.....you would need to find every butcher that took in elk and add up the total numbers, see if the numbers are still the same, before l would accept it as fact.

KevinB
07-30-2008, 01:30 PM
[quote=416;308852]I disagree. By the time you get to be a senior in Canada you have been contributing all your life to the system. Why shouldn't they be allowed a few privileges? More then any other age group they have done more and spent more to give us the hunting opportunities we (up and coming generations) enjoy today. Hopefully when we reach the golden years of hunting careers we will be able pass on what they have to us.
quote]

Exactly. Disagreeing with the seniors season is fine 325, it's a free country. But you could do worse than to recognize that one of the main reasons why all us young bucks enjoy the wide range of hunting priveleges that we have today, is because most of these "silver heads", as you put it, have hunted all their lives and contributed to the hunting lifestyle for longer than many of us have been alive. Maybe they deserve an easy tag a lot more than the rest of us...

07-30-2008, 02:18 PM
I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree...

Phreddy
07-30-2008, 09:45 PM
Thanks 416 & Kevin.
It was a lot easier to chase the big bulls in the high country when a young chap starting out than it is now that we're getting a little long in the tooth.
Keep in mind though ladies, We may not be as good as once we were, but we're as good once as ever we were. ;-)>

blackford
07-30-2008, 11:02 PM
Hey,

I will be honest. I am looking forward to watching my dad at the age of 69 shooting his first elk. I think there is nothing wrong with it and i am treking over there to watch him do it.. And if thats all we get it was damn well worth it....

I think its and excellent program and even though i will not be pulling the trigger... its worth every minute of the drive and time spent..