PDA

View Full Version : Bobcat hunters advice

BCBear
07-27-2008, 06:26 PM
I'm pretty stoked about this November's bobcat season since seeing one cross my path last fall. I want to hunt specifically for them on a few outings this fall. Has anyone here ever hunted them and could PM me on a few pointers about calls, bobcat behaviour, and anything else that a guy needs to know.

thanks

Steeleco
07-27-2008, 09:26 PM
IIRC Ray told me one time that you take the creature whole to him to get mounted as they are real finicky to work on?? I'd definitely check on what to do BEFORE you go.

The only time I've ever seen them is quite by accident. Almost got to pet one last fall.

BearSniper
07-27-2008, 09:35 PM
I can help you here a bit:D

I 've shot 2 and had one mounted by mainland hunter-awesome job.

In region 2 they are so plentiful you are allowed 5. People who fish the Vedder and Fraser say they'll walk right up to them looking for fish to steal.

I've got mine up Silver creek and on the lower Coquihalla. Once the snow hits, you can call them in from a hidden position with a rabbit distress call. Rumour has it they will come right to you, with a facial exprssion of wondering why you are near their food source. Also you can look for road killed deer, or carcasses or gut piles to see if they feed from them.

If you are real good, you can patiently scan the tops of trees where they rest and plunk them from there.

I use a .22lr with Remington hollow points. Once heart/lung shot at under 100 meters and they're down.

Good luck

BearSniper
07-27-2008, 09:44 PM
Also...

Steelco is right. If you get one, freeze it right away and take it frozen to Mainland Hunter [ Ray]. You can bring it it home in your truck or a bin packed with snow or ice.

He's better to work on it than we are- legs are pretty skinny, hard to skin.:?

Barracuda
07-27-2008, 10:41 PM
Still got one in the freezer LOL.
Where theres rabbits there are bobs. snow lets you see the track if they are around as does mud etc.
predator calling works as does useing hounds you can also track them in thew snow alone and they can be pretty curious and sometimes just watch you.

Huey
07-27-2008, 11:45 PM
I can help you here a bit:D

I 've shot 2 and had one mounted by mainland hunter-awesome job.

In region 2 they are so plentiful you are allowed 5. People who fish the Vedder and Fraser say they'll walk right up to them looking for fish to steal.

I've got mine up Silver creek and on the lower Coquihalla. Once the snow hits, you can call them in from a hidden position with a rabbit distress call. Rumour has it they will come right to you, with a facial exprssion of wondering why you are near their food source. Also you can look for road killed deer, or carcasses or gut piles to see if they feed from them.

If you are real good, you can patiently scan the tops of trees where they rest and plunk them from there.

I use a .22lr with Remington hollow points. Once heart/lung shot at under 100 meters and they're down.

Good luck

Very cool, I'd love to give this a try! Thanks for the tips!

Fisher-Dude
07-28-2008, 05:46 AM
Don't forget to check out culverts under the road - bobbies love hiding in them. :wink:

SHAKER
07-28-2008, 08:33 AM
Silent and fast hound dog is the best tool I've found. Full bore scream'n hounds make for long runs IMO. As far as calling............Don't know, takes all the fun out of hound hunting.

BCBear
07-28-2008, 08:49 AM
thanks for all the info, it sounds like there are plenty of them and the method is fairly straight forward. I will be using a call and my 10/22. I'll be checking with Mike for scopes at Specialty Shooting

Barracuda
07-28-2008, 10:01 AM
Silent and fast hound dog is the best tool I've found. Full bore scream'n hounds make for long runs IMO. As far as calling............Don't know, takes all the fun out of hound hunting.

not to mention that bobcats bail alot. But you do have to admit that the sound of hounds baying sure is Purdy:biggrin:

rishu_pepper
07-28-2008, 10:47 AM
That sounds way cool, I've always wanted to have a bobcat mount.

Does that mean it's similar to coyote hunting, since it's calling (rabbit distress) and hiding until they show up?

Fisher-Dude
07-29-2008, 07:28 AM
A couple of my buddies checked a culvert a few years ago, and when the bobbie popped out the other end, they bayed like hounds, more joking around than anything. The cat treed instantly, and they ended up with a sweet rug. Gotta love it when a cat hunt comes together like that!

Steeleco
07-29-2008, 08:44 AM
I will be using a call and my 10/22.

Now you real do need me to tweak that trigger!!!

Barracuda
07-29-2008, 11:35 AM
when you call them they can appear and dissappear like ghosts and at times you might even think you are seeing things :lol: , Regular medium range predator call works and get a close range or sqeaker for the close in work

Fisher-Dude
07-30-2008, 03:15 PM
'cuda, you have any luck with lynx coming to the call? I usually just trip over them when I'm sledding, without firepower of course!