PDA

View Full Version : cow elk hunt

mbhjls79
07-26-2008, 05:43 PM
I am going on a cow elk hunt on oct1-10. I have never hunted elk, what would be the best method on possible snagging a couple. Should we boot around and cover ground on the quad?. Post on top of a ridge?, or should we be trying to call them in, and if you were going to call them in would you try to buggle or use a cow call. A friend recomened a hoochie mama cow call from primos? thanks(my tag is good for low elevations, 1100M and below).

Poguebilt
07-26-2008, 05:52 PM
hoochie moma is a great call.....

what region you huntin? will make a bid difference on areas to hunt...

last year I pr scouted on my quad for a bit and found where they tend to "hang out" and then hunted on foot... early morning and just before dark worked for us...

mbhjls79
07-26-2008, 06:06 PM
the region is 4 20 X(under 1100M)

Poguebilt
07-26-2008, 06:17 PM
super tough area to hunt... If you don't pre-scout that area lots its going to be a very very tough hunt!

where you live?

todbartell
07-26-2008, 06:24 PM
zoom around on the quad, I cant see how that wont work the best

mbhjls79
07-26-2008, 06:24 PM
kelowna, so its a bit of a drive to scout it out.

Poguebilt
07-26-2008, 06:27 PM
well over half of zone 4-20 x is over the hight restriction... so you MUST be aware of where you are and your elevation.... Co's are in there all the time! good luck on your hunt! hope you get lucky....

todbartell
07-26-2008, 06:29 PM
mount a GPS on the quad and when the elevation says you're over 1100, point'r downhill and giv'r

hunter1947
07-27-2008, 06:18 AM
If it were me I would pound as much ground as possible ,I would not be calling at this time of the year as the rut is winding down ,most bulls have already done there breeding.

You still can call in a bull at this time don't get me wrong.

You can also call cows in under certain circumstances.

But you can't beat putting the miles on and covering the country side and glassing it.

Good luck ,lots of pic to follow latter http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon12.gif.

gone hunting
07-27-2008, 05:56 PM
The big differance between hunting elk and deer, is that while deer tend to be spread all over the country side, elk are in herds. Look for good "grazing" areas, like a burn with lots of fresh grass, with lots of fresh elk poops, then back out so as not to disturb their routine. Be there early morning or late afternoon and if they are only there at night, find or guess where they are bedding and set up in between.
If you are looking at low country, this usually means farmer's fields, which is why there is a cow hunt. Drive around till you find an alfalfa field, then go knock on the door and ask politely if you can hunt on their property. Keep in mind that they are likely the one who ask the ministery of the envirnment to reduce the elk "problem" with a cow hunt.
Be carefull to take a "dry" cow, as in one that is not nursing, and alflafa fed elk is as good as meat gets.

RMG
07-27-2008, 06:08 PM
Do your self a really big favor. Since you live in Ktown, you obviously wont have much time to do the leg work. Don't waste your time roaring around on a quad. Book yourself a charter out of Cranbrook, and scout from the air. Cost in minimal, heck, I bet you could find a couple others to split the cost. Whats a few bucks, towards a successful hunt, especially when your traveling so far.

Good Luck

Poguebilt
07-27-2008, 06:21 PM
is Bighorn helicopters up and running again?

07-27-2008, 06:26 PM
I would try the west side of Skookumchuk Prairie from Echo Lakes south or between Echo Lakes and the McNair Lakes road. You have to get in there before daylight and you have to do it quietly. Hunt the edges of the timber on foot or glass from a good vantage point until you find the herds. Late evening will be good also. Be careful about chugging around too much on the quad or you will just move the elk right out of the area. Use it for recovery mainly.

rocksteady
07-27-2008, 07:28 PM
is Bighorn helicopters up and running again?

They were never shut down , but took a few days off out of respect for the families...

mbhjls79
07-27-2008, 08:27 PM
Thanks so far for all the post's guys. All these posts are starting to get the adrenaline flowing.

The Hermit
07-27-2008, 08:31 PM
Elk in that area are very sensitive to quads as they will have been chased, sometimes freaking literally, since Sept first by guys on quads. Honestly, you will probably want to do some spotting, walk in well before daylight and set up on good trails.

Are you planning on using a rifle or archery gear? This will make a difference as to setting up your hunt...

Much good luck, you lucky guy!! There are lots of elk and your chances are pretty good.

brotherjack
07-27-2008, 10:19 PM
Lots of elk back in that area pretty much anywhere you go - look up a map of forestry roads, drive to the dead end of one that's got some decent sized un-roaded area beyond it, and commence to hiking and glassing. Finding a 6 point around there (any place I know anyway), is near impossible - finding a cow shouldn't take you more than a day or two if you put the miles on the boots and go slow and watch careful.