PDA

View Full Version : Small game

bigelow
07-25-2008, 09:34 AM
Are there any prefered baits for pack rats. I've just had one decide to live under my sundeck. I tried peanutbutter but didn't box the trap so I found the trap sans bait tripped under the lawnmower. I rebaited with cheese and boxed the trap (only trap bait end accessible). However this morning there has been no action! Any suggestions?

Fisher-Dude
07-25-2008, 10:23 AM
http://www.illegaleconomy.com/im/guns-rifles-replicas-1.jpg

bigelow
07-25-2008, 11:15 AM
All I have to do then is live trap the little feller and move him to the rifle range where Fisher-Dudes method of rapid fire should do the squatter in.

Elkaholic
07-25-2008, 11:45 AM
This thread delivers. Take him to meet your little friends ROFL.

springpin
07-25-2008, 12:36 PM
I worked a place where pack rats were a big problem. We would use onions as bait for a live trap, we tried alot of stuff but onions worked the best.

Springpin

Stone Sheep Steve
07-25-2008, 01:10 PM
Try ripping some wires out from under your hood. Throw in some gum wrappers or other shiny stuff and you'll have a cocktail they can't resist.

If that doesn't work try a can of ether and a lighter:smile:.

SSS

421fighter
07-25-2008, 01:24 PM
I have found that a packrat has to run through a stove pipe. It is like a dog howling at the moon! Has to be done. We used to put a leghold trap in a stovepipe, or a big rat trap. Maybe something on the pan, so the head is in the right place.

rishu_pepper
07-25-2008, 01:25 PM
http://www.illegaleconomy.com/im/guns-rifles-replicas-1.jpg

Undergunned.

When facing the ferocious Neotoma cinerea, one should be prudent to bring nothing less than the time-tested 375 H&H. A 470 NE and up, if ammo is obtainable, is also preferred. A 50 cal is the happy medium.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8u8NlSInanI

:biggrin:

Seriously though, surprised peanut butter didn't work. I think that was what we used when we had a mice problem at home a few years back. I don't live there anymore. :smile:

stanway
07-25-2008, 01:29 PM
The ones around our place like dog treats (Milk Bones, etc). The cat brought a live one into the house and that was the first box it went for. So, that's what I used on the trap and sure enough, it couldn't resist.

The trick is tying it to the trigger. Too tight and you break the piece, too loose, they steal it on you. It's got to be tight enough that they have to give it a good pull while on the trigger. They're always too greedy to let go and usually still have their teeth in the piece of biscut.

I hate rats.:twisted:

stanway
07-25-2008, 01:32 PM
, surprised peanut butter didn't work.

Peanut butter didn't work for me either. The little *******s would lick it all off the trigger plate without setting it off.:mad:

308Lover
07-25-2008, 01:39 PM
We watched pack rats "play hockey" with little balls of tin foil(at night with moonlight) and they played for a good half hour. Use some shiny foil on your bait bar. put bait under it and poke a few small holes. Peanut butter is good enough, but whatever--just be sure there's shiny stuff around the trap.

wolverine
07-25-2008, 02:28 PM
The only thing that screws packrats and has 110 balls! .357 magnum hot loaded with #10 shot. Works every time. No walk aways!

bigelow
07-25-2008, 03:54 PM
Still waiting! The cheddar cheese is sitting on the trigger untouched 18 hours. Could the little bugger have suffered a fatal injury and walked away to die? I like results but I live in a semi civilized area and firing anything larger than a 06 is out of the question!

hunter1947
07-25-2008, 04:16 PM
A rat trap might not kill a pack rat ,use a 120 conabear trap and put carrots on the trigger.

Don't use this kill trap if you or others have cats.

If you can borrow a live cage trap get it ,then put different types of shinny things in the trap ,old watch reed diaphragm ,candy with a bright wrapper on it ,etc ,you will then get the little idiot.

A strong pellet gun would do the trick as well.

Fisher-Dude
07-25-2008, 05:28 PM
Actually, one of the best things to send them elsewhere is moth balls. Put some under my cabin 20 years ago after cleaning nests out every year, and shootin' several packrats, and haven't had one since. :wink:

johnk
07-25-2008, 06:39 PM
At the resort at Tunkwa about three years ago we had two packrats living in one of our storage sheds. We used big spring traps and a chunk of apple on each and half an hour later our problem was solved!

thatskindafunny
07-25-2008, 07:24 PM
Well no pack rat but got 2 mices the last 3 days with peanut butter.

bwhnter
07-25-2008, 08:40 PM
When I was a kid working on a freinds farm they used to pay us $3 per rat that we killed. We just had to bring them the tails. What we used a peice of stove pipe, like they mentioned above and then at the end we would put a leg hold trap or small conibear (spelling???) with the pan or trigger wrapped in aluminum foil. The shinnier the better. I made good money that summer. We also found a nest under one of the old buildings that had wrenchs, sockets, pieices of wire and a watch. When we showed it to my friends Dad he was really quiet for a moment and then he told us about a kid that had worked for him before that he had fired because he thought that he was stealing all of the tools and his watch here it turned out to be a rat.

bigelow
07-26-2008, 03:34 PM
No sign of activity, trap tuned up returned to pbutter as bait nest area removed. I'm thinking that I should have tried trapping the little bugger before disturbing the nest. But in my haste I probably moved the problem down the road! I hate winter, better to sit outside at night with a flashlight and a.22 in summer.

Nalidixic
07-27-2008, 10:01 AM
Meh, clearly you don't need to trap the rat, but move the deck to accomidate it :P

Nalid

bigelow
07-27-2008, 03:57 PM
Yes that would accommadate the greens to a tea! Why relocate the cute little fella (bury 6 feet under) when you could just move the deck, after all I am infringing on his territory! I am the imposter!

mpotzold
07-27-2008, 04:39 PM
Still haven't caught the critter! If everything fails -you can always rely on
a RAT TERRIER.The Rat Terrier was a common farm dog in the early 1900s, bred for catching barn rats in haystacks. Purportedly a rat terrier holds the record for most rats killed in a single infested barn: 2501 rats in 7 hours

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/d/db/Starintheyard.JPG/800px-Starintheyard.JPG (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/db/Starintheyard.JPG)