did not mean to start a hate thread

Kitimat Killer
07-24-2008, 12:58 PM
sent you a msg thanks
kk

Deadshot
07-24-2008, 08:30 PM
Hey Joker,
You should be "showing off" our trophys on a monthly basis.

jml11
07-24-2008, 08:40 PM
Hey Joker,
You should be "showing off" our trophys on a monthly basis.

I agree. I used to really enjoy the magazine when it came out regularly and had many good articles. Ever since they split to the 'fishing' and the 'hunting' version it seems to have gotten lamer, especially the hunting one. The summer 2008 issue I found pathetic, very thin and no good content, mostly advertisements. Is it lack of hunter submissions??? Seems there is enough content within this site to fill the magazine monthly! I miss magazines with good B.C. hunting content...All I can find at the store are american magazines full of whitetails and ranched game hunts....

At least I can get my fix from this site!

mainland hunter
07-24-2008, 08:54 PM
I really enjoyed the old format where it was a mix of hunting and fishing, that was really the only time i ever read any fishing stuff.

browningboy
07-24-2008, 09:08 PM
I really enjoyed the old format where it was a mix of hunting and fishing, that was really the only time i ever read any fishing stuff.

X2, the new format sucks, why can't they switch it back??

tufferthandug
07-24-2008, 09:10 PM

Bring back the old format!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It used to be such a cool mag!

Bud
07-25-2008, 08:56 AM
I agree. I used to really enjoy the magazine when it came out regularly and had many good articles. Ever since they split to the 'fishing' and the 'hunting' version it seems to have gotten lamer, especially the hunting one. The summer 2008 issue I found pathetic, very thin and no good content, mostly advertisements. Is it lack of hunter submissions??? Seems there is enough content within this site to fill the magazine monthly! I miss magazines with good B.C. hunting content...All I can find at the store are american magazines full of whitetails and ranched game hunts....

I know you guys are talking BC Outdoors here and I don't want to slam them, but if you like great buck pics and just hunting stories of guys like us,limited ads, check out Big Buck magazine its awsome

EvanG
07-25-2008, 01:28 PM
I agree I bought the last one and it seem so small, only a few articles. Im sure there s a few ppl on here thatd be willing to throw togther an article or story.

wolverine
07-25-2008, 02:46 PM

Yeah, me too! I was actually going to write the magazine and tell them how disappointed I was in it. I just grabbed it off the rack in the grocery store and thought it would have some good local content in it. Sorry Joker, not taking jabs at you here but for the price of it all I did was buy someones advertising. IMHO.... it needs help big time. I'll see if I can get you some good pics this weekend. Moose pre-scouting in about an hour and a half from now!!!

hunter1947
07-25-2008, 04:09 PM
I get magazines free most of the time ,when I buy hunting stuff sometimes I get a free years of a hunting magazine ,it could be any of the ones that have been mentioned in this thread.

Today I got my first of 12 ,it is field and stream magazine http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif .

07-25-2008, 08:20 PM
I used to write years ago for the magazine, both fishing and hunting articles.
I at times would send in huge photo support with the many articles I was asked to write. That said, one of the past editors ..... finally had changed my article so much, to the point of ridiculous, I was completely embarrassed that my name was even on it. She even said I had no photo support which I did of Killer whales breaching with BC Ferries in the back ground in the gulf Islands, big springs in hand in the hot spots, the article was on mooching, what did they use on the cover, and the article it self, people casting from shore, guys using down riggers etc. ... completely off track from mooching.
I too am terribly disappointed in the hunting magazine, I'm afraid it's in a tailspin and appears to be not pulling out of it. I now purchase other hunting mags, Big Buck, Bugle, Sports a Field.
Just my 2 cents.
C/T

gone hunting
07-25-2008, 09:50 PM
It's sure not what it used to be.

Fisher-Dude
07-25-2008, 11:17 PM
So, Joker, we all think the "new" format SUCKS. I had a subscription for years until they sprung a $77 subscription fee on me to get what I had before for about $30. I wouldn't even consider buying it now. When, Joker, will the magazine dummy up and give its customers what they want? :?

elkdom
07-25-2008, 11:58 PM
So let me try get this right,We send these guys our pictures "FREE" of charges and then should they publicise those pictures at thier own discretion, then later we can buy those magazines at news stand prices! I don't think so there, Mr' Joker ha ha ha ha ha ha ha......

Gateholio
07-26-2008, 12:20 AM
Wow, tough crowd....:shock:

Avalanche123
07-26-2008, 09:01 AM
People have proposed some very good comments that IMHO warrant a comment by the author of this post. (ok it only has been a few days...)

I feel the same about the magazine. And I agree, the Big Bucks mag is very good eye candy w/ stories.

Jokerwld
07-29-2008, 09:36 AM
wow
tough crowd here
The pictures are for our tag tales section which is a way to "show off your trophies" as far as what the magazine use to be and what it is now. that is out of my hands I am along time reader of the magazine as well and lets put it this way , we are looking at all the possibilities to make it a better magazine
Thank you for your comments all of you it's nice to see that some of you still care enough to write your thoughts

Mike

Elkhound
07-29-2008, 09:59 AM
email sent.....

elkdom
07-29-2008, 10:01 AM
I have no need or desire to "show off" my trophies in a magazine, maybe if you paid me what a paid add is worth in any issue you used it in, I may share pictures with your editor!, sadly many so called 'outdoor magazines' are consisting mainly of advertising, page after page! been there done that, I am just tired of paying large money, to find mostly all I have to read is some 'gimmic-ee' adds! or global warming , more gimmic to relieve people of thier money, nothing personal but I dont think the guys on here are a tough crowd, but rather YOU are trying to sing a TOUGH song ! and most of us have heard it many times!

07-29-2008, 10:10 AM
I would love to see the Hunting edition of BC Outdoors come back to what it use to be like in the 70's, 80's and early 90's.
Nothing would be better then seeing local hunting stories and pic's along with how to's, new products, reloading etc.
I think the brass or owners of the actual mag. ( not sure if it's OP Publishing still ) are to blame for the downfall. Also, not saying the present editor does not know their stuff but get some one in there that does. Be it fishing or hunting, they should know exactly what a writter is talking about or find some one that does, but don't change stories or use different pic's that don't support the article at hand. It destroys the quality, hense the present magazine.
Look to Big Buck, Bugle if you want to see a quality magazine, learn by it then bring back a QUALITY, TOP Notch, BC OUTDOORS HUNTING.
C/T

browningboy
07-29-2008, 05:07 PM
I don't think we need to get paid for "tag tales", if you don't want your pic in there then don't send it in, seems simple, but what this thread seems to be more about bringing back the old format as it had much more variety plus quality, the present magazine really is a poor format with either fishing or hunting.
I sent in a email to the editor to change, maybey instaed of bitching, write a quick simple email and tell them!:razz:

Phreddy
07-29-2008, 08:26 PM
I don't think we need to get paid for "tag tales", if you don't want your pic in there then don't send it in, seems simple, but what this thread seems to be more about bringing back the old format as it had much more variety plus quality, the present magazine really is a poor format with either fishing or hunting.
I sent in a email to the editor to change, maybey instaed of bitching, write a quick simple email and tell them!:razz:

I couldn't agree more BB.
If everyone on this site and any friends we can influence wrote to the editor expressing these feelings, and Joker mentioned the feedback he's getting, maybe we might get through some thick editorial/publishing heads. My letter is on the way.

dana
07-29-2008, 10:13 PM
I have had numerous articles published in several big Yanky hunting rags but it would be a cold day in hell before I send anything to BC Outdoors. For one, they stole my money. Years ago when they changed the format, they were going to split into 2 mags. One hunting and one fishing. I subscribed to the Hunting mag. Got one issue. Then for the rest of the subscription they sent me Fishing mags. I am not a fisherman. I am a hunter. They didn't let me know that they couldn't make a go of it with the hunting mag, they instead kept my money and sent a non-fisherman a fishing rag. Pissed me off royally. Secondly, their current what? 2 issues of a hunting mag SUCK!!! I was at the newstand the other day flippin through the new Eastmans Journal and glanced down to see the new BC Outdoors hunting. I picked it up and was amazed by how flippin thin it was. What was it, 10 pages. LMAO! Nope, sorry bud. No pics or stories from me.

behemoth
07-30-2008, 09:37 AM
Used to love the fishing/hunting format as well. Kinda felt that the split was because they thought the hunting format was offensive to the non hunters who fished. The first year of the split was the last year of my 5 year run of subscriptions. I may buy one Hunting and one Fishing a year, but the magazine does not carry the feel of it's past glory. From a business perspective, it could've been a good move for them but only they know that. My current hunting mag subscription is for Grey's Sporting Journal.(fantastic mag)

Hey Joker, I appreciate you just work for the magazine, perhaps you can send a link from this thread to the guys in the office? We just want to see a great publication from you guys.

Phreddy
07-30-2008, 10:27 AM
Used to love the fishing/hunting format as well. My current hunting mag subscription is for Grey's Sporting Journal.(fantastic mag)
Hey Joker, I appreciate you just work for the magazine, perhaps you can send a link from this thread to the guys in the office? We just want to see a great publication from you guys.

I sent my comments to the editor of BCO and suggested he might want to have a look at this thread to see what a lot of folks think of the magazine and what the magazine has to do to improve. Hopefully Joker can convince them, together with this thread, to listen to what the majority of the readers want, and go back to being a first rate "outdoors" magazine.
Hopefully everyone here will email them as well.

elkdom
07-30-2008, 04:42 PM
I have had numerous articles published in several big Yanky hunting rags but it would be a cold day in hell before I send anything to BC Outdoors. For one, they stole my money. Years ago when they changed the format, they were going to split into 2 mags. One hunting and one fishing. I subscribed to the Hunting mag. Got one issue. Then for the rest of the subscription they sent me Fishing mags. I am not a fisherman. I am a hunter. They didn't let me know that they couldn't make a go of it with the hunting mag, they instead kept my money and sent a non-fisherman a fishing rag. Pissed me off royally. Secondly, their current what? 2 issues of a hunting mag SUCK!!! I was at the newstand the other day flippin through the new Eastmans Journal and glanced down to see the new BC Outdoors hunting. I picked it up and was amazed by how flippin thin it was. What was it, 10 pages. LMAO! Nope, sorry bud. No pics or stories from me.

I couldn't agree with you more there 'dana' I used to buy BC Outdoors regularly and subscibed for a few years, but of recent times thier content sucks! I wouldnt hang BC Outdoors in an outhouse niether as "fodder" or reading material !

Mooseman
07-30-2008, 04:48 PM
Love Jim Shockey's "Last Light"

Tha magazine did get thin though.

browningboy
07-30-2008, 05:59 PM

When it was the days of the old, it was a great magazine but I'm sure we'll see it fade away soon.
I can see why you wouldn't want to send in a story, but really what skin off your ass would you loose?? It's just like hunter support out there, most are about "me" and don't care, well with that attitude it will all fade away in the future.
Not pressing Dana as it could be financial reasons (payments)but really, if we don't support each other in different aspects, well... you can read about some fat yanks and big bucks in farmed hunts!LOL

elkdom
07-30-2008, 06:34 PM
Maybe I missed something but I dont see BC Outdoors as an Advertising associate or on any regular threads in this Forum, just one day up pops old 'joker' requesting pictures to use in the magazine he seems to represent! sounds too much like comercializm too me! If BC Outdoors needs pics and stories they can go about it more a profesional manner, other thread by 'joker' on where 'BC Outdoors' will be doing 'promo' at several Toyota Dealers across BC,times, dates, locations seems another attempt at gaining customers for the exclusive benifit of BC Outdoors! and my opinion still remains BC Outdoors wont even hang in my outhouse!

Avalanche123
07-30-2008, 07:36 PM
I checked this magazine out tonight and compared it to everything else on the shelve. Without a doubt it was the "thinnest" magazine on the shelve. Cost was the same for all the other mags too. For comparison, Outside Magazine with well over a hundred pages cost the same price.

If it was a buck or two I "might" buy it but even then it is a pretty weak read.

Big Buck magazine was right above it.....and the same price.

Sorry but I won't be buying this magazine anytime soon. BC Outdoors needs to raise its bar several levels to get with todays standard IMHO.

Jelvis
07-30-2008, 08:49 PM
B.C. Outdoors helps those interested in what this province has to offer the outdoors person.
I like B.C. stuff. Not only the main stories but the little articles too about things in B.C. That's where I can get some interesting info like maps of backroads to local lakes and areas of interest.
I grew up reading B.C. Outdoors and I have enjoyed it immensely.
I also find older B.C. Outdoors in the thrift stores too. To see where, when and what I can do fairly close to home. Jel-I reach for it.

bigelow
07-30-2008, 09:24 PM
Seems sad that they would appeal to the hunting crowd as they decided to alienate us. I had a subscription to BC Outdoors for close to 30 years as my subscription was expiring I received a renewal notice with an offer to renew at approximately 40 % more than was being offered in the magazine. Needless to say after the really good deal being offered to me I didn't bite. As for sportfishing there are far better mags as well. My 2 cents

savagekiller420
07-30-2008, 09:58 PM
Id have to agree I just finished reading this months issue and it was terribly thin all i could think is wheres the beef. I did enjoy what little there was in there though. If we get a vote i say old format.