PDA

View Full Version : Jet Boats ?

Big Bucks
07-24-2008, 10:11 AM
Hey does anyone know how to get a hold of the guy who makes Wolfmade Jet Boats ? Web site ... Phone #.... Does anyone have one ? Any goods or bads about them ? Any info would be a great help , thanks .

270WSMGB
07-24-2008, 10:41 AM
I believe these boats are not made anymore. Unfortunately the man passed away.

Big Bucks
07-24-2008, 11:32 AM
I hope not , Was that just hear say or did you know the guy?

Bighorn hunter
07-24-2008, 12:15 PM
I heard the story last year too. Died walking out from a broke down snowmachine I think

ruttinbuck
07-24-2008, 01:06 PM
I heard the story last year too. Died walking out from a broke down snowmachine I think
Yes unfortunately this is true.
Last I heard the two boats that had been started on the shop floor were finished by his staff and no more Wolfe boats.RB

Dirty
07-24-2008, 01:18 PM
Not much different than an Outlaw or Shuman boat. If you are looking for something that will take a beating Outlaw, Shuman (El-de?), or Firefish comes to mind. I believe there is a long waiting list to get a Shuman boat.

Big Bucks
07-24-2008, 01:36 PM
Where is shuman out of ? And how do you get a hold of them ?

Rock Doctor
07-24-2008, 02:26 PM
Doug Shuman builds a nice boat. I have one and several friends have them as well. Price has gone up quite a bit in the last few yrs.

EL-DE Ent.
FSJ. BC
827-3739 (Might be an old #)

BCRiverBoater
07-24-2008, 03:11 PM
Doug Shuman is out of Fort St. John. El-De Fabricating (250)785-3708

He is busy but I do not think he is as bad as last year but I am sure there is still a waiting list. I have a new Firefish boat and am really happy with it. They also have a waiting list. If you want a boat for this fall then I am guessing Outlaw is your best bet as they have boats on several dealers floors as well as their shop.

And yes the Wolfmade boats are finished.

Big Bucks
07-24-2008, 04:04 PM
Thanks for all the info guys . Hey Rock Doctor , Is your boat built as strong as the wolfmades were? and what engine is in it ? Is a sport jet a big enough engine for up north ?

Rock Doctor
07-24-2008, 05:01 PM
Thanks for all the info guys . Hey Rock Doctor , Is your boat built as strong as the wolfmades were? and what engine is in it ? Is a sport jet a big enough engine for up north ?

They are as strong as you want them to be. Mine has a 1/4" bottom with 9 stringers. Very tough boat, I smash my way up the Tuchodi on a regular basis, in the summer and fall. It's 18' 4" long, 6' wide with the 175 SJ. I have packed some rediculous loads with it. 3 guys, all gear for 10 days (wall tents, wood stoves, tables, kitchen assemblies, propane tanks, ect) plus full fuel tanks and an extra 22 jerrycans, AND my quad thrown in on top of that.
When the load is a little too big, you just have to bump it off a few rocks, and it comes right up on step:eek:
A good friend of mine has a Wolfemade, it's the gray one in my vids with the black no-slip patches on the nose. His boat is a foot shorter and about 6" wider. He is noticably heavier, burns more fuel, and needs to run about 200 RPM more than me to haul/do the same things.

RD

BCRiverBoater
07-24-2008, 05:12 PM
Sport jets are more than enough depending on the boat you have built. The 14'-18' are mostly all sportjets as they are lighter and do not take up as much room. If you are looking at a 19-21' boat then look into a Vortec or 383 stroker.

Shuman boats are about as strong as they come. Of course who can ask for any type of bottom you would like. It is all personal choice. Some guys are going back to only a slightly lighter bottom than the Tuchodi Specials made popular. Remember..the heavier the bottom the heavier the boat.
18' Outlaw Tuchodi Specials whihc are similar in strength to the Shuman or Wolfmade boats are a heavy boat. When fully loaded with a huge load for a long fall trip the boat gets close to max for a 200 opti. It owrks fine but is getting close to the limit. A 16' with the same body is a little better.

My last boat had 3/8" wings with 1/2" keel etc and 1/2" teflon. Very similar to the heavy bottom Shuman boats. It was a 16' with a 240. I never had the boat to heavy to get on step. The boat was taken up all sorts of skinny rivers and of course sustained some dents as all used boats do. With the new Firefish I went one size lighter with 1/4" wings, 3/8 bottom with same keel and teflon. This was partly because I have talked to lots of guys with this bottom and they feel it does not dent much easier than the heavier bottom which weighs more. Also I went with a variable pitch hull that is 8 degree at the back and goes to 12 degree at the front. This bend can not be done with the thicker bottom. I do not have the same hours on this boat yet but I have run the Moberly and someskinny channels and banged some rocks. On the Firefish sight a guy goes by the name of Skinny Dipper and he runs his boat as hard as any can and his same bottom has held up just fine.

The one thing to remember is the stiffer the bottom the harder it is to repair or bang out dents when they do occur and trust me, they will occur.

It really comes down to personal preference and what you plan on doing with the boat and where you want to run. Guys ran 1/4" bottomes with lighter wings and no teflon for years and ran the Muskwa, Tuchodi, Turnagain etc for decades. For me I want the boat as light as possible but still strong enough to handle the banging. I never purposely hit rocks but it does happen. I do want to be able to push the boat when in trouble and that is why I have not gone to the 21' with a 383 or V8 with a Hamilton Jet.

BCRiverBoater
07-24-2008, 05:17 PM
Rock Doctor...I keep meaning to get up to Fort Nelson to meet you for a trip or meet you somewhere else. I know we have chatted before about a trip somewhere. The darn summers are too short. I am planning on heading north for a late season hunt or two but my only other trip I want to get down this year is a quick over nighter to the Sikanni Falls. I have promised the guys a trip there for a few beers and more whiskeys and let them camp out one night. I still have to do this one night this August. I may get several boats in on this trip but it is only a short trip. I would like to hook up with you for a trip up to the lakes or something similar at some point.

Big Bucks
07-24-2008, 10:08 PM
Great info guys , thanks , What would be the price on one of these Schuman boats , a 18 or 19 footer with say a 200 opti in it?

daycort
07-24-2008, 10:17 PM
Great info guys , thanks , What would be the price on one of these Schuman boats , a 18 or 19 footer with say a 200 opti in it?

40,000 gets you a pretty plain boat. I am hearing good things about the 18' extreme from harbourcraft.

Big Bucks
07-24-2008, 10:21 PM
How much for a harbourcraft?

BCRiverBoater
07-25-2008, 12:11 AM
Not sure on Shumans prices these days but guessing on all the rising costs from all builders I am guessing an 18' would run close to 50k or more.

270WSMGB
07-25-2008, 09:57 AM
I would definetly take a look at Omineca Marine as well. As all the boats are similar, they all work good. Omineca has some good packages.

Jetboater
07-25-2008, 11:24 AM
Selfish Plug but Thunder Jet is coming out with a new boat called the Bull Dog, 17ft ,7 stringers,3/8 bottom,1/4 inch sides, 200 optimax,cross fuel tank,formed transom and full plastic... stomp grate and heavy heavy chine caps... this boat will be in the 50K range...I can send or post pics if anyone is interested....

BCRiverBoater
07-25-2008, 04:41 PM
Thunder Jet makes very nice boats but they were always way to light for this country and the abuse we give them. There a quite a few family type boats in town now and they look great. Most these guys only run them on the Peace and Pine and Kechika so they would be fine. The new line sounds very similar to our heavier bottom boats we run. Might be worth looking at.

Jetboater
07-25-2008, 06:13 PM
we have been pushing for a beefy boat, I will be in FSJ next year for the poker run with a few beefed boats, I see what you guys run on a regular basis and know what the demand is, hard to beat an outlaw lynx... I grew up on a Muskwa so I under stand what it takes to make a solid boat... it will be interesting to play with this new one....
we just built a 19 with a SC383, H212,3/8 bottom 1/4 inch 6061 delta pad and full plastic....that boat is tough....

what do you guys think of doing the gunnel tanks like wolf used to make?

Dirty
07-25-2008, 06:34 PM
BT3113, I would like to see pictures of this new Thunderjet BullDog boat. Please post them up.

Big Bucks
07-25-2008, 06:37 PM
Is a north river a good boat ? Are you able to beef it up , It's a 19 footer that i'm looking at .

Dirty
07-25-2008, 09:13 PM
If you are looking for a fishing/family boat then North River's are fine. A factory hulled North River will be destroyed in no time up north. The hulls in these boats are 12 degrees and are not suited for skinny water. You should be looking at an 8 degree hull in a 19 foot boat, max 10 degree. It makes a difference when in the shallow water. Get in touch with Riddle Marine down in the states. Apparently their prices are good and they can make a tough little boat with plastic on the bottom.

Ramshot
07-25-2008, 09:19 PM
Wolfmade was a great jet-boat and it's sad he's gone! A guy goes through tough times and that is what happened to old wolfe. It nice to go and explain what u want in your jet-boat rather than take what u get from a mass produced boat-builder. Seeing your jet-boat built in stages is great especially when u spend the hard earned $$$. I chose a custom wolfmade six years ago and never regreted it. It's packed hainous loads and did it's share of hard knocks:-D. I guess chose well, because in the end it's your $$$ that's goin up the river!!! Ramshot

Rock Doctor
07-25-2008, 10:37 PM
Rock Doctor...I keep meaning to get up to Fort Nelson to meet you for a trip or meet you somewhere else. I know we have chatted before about a trip somewhere. The darn summers are too short. I am planning on heading north for a late season hunt or two but my only other trip I want to get down this year is a quick over nighter to the Sikanni Falls. I have promised the guys a trip there for a few beers and more whiskeys and let them camp out one night. I still have to do this one night this August. I may get several boats in on this trip but it is only a short trip. I would like to hook up with you for a trip up to the lakes or something similar at some point.

lol,
We will hook up some time, some where:razz:. It's just a little hard to pin me down sometimes. Even on my days off, I don't spend much time around home. I don't think I have spent 10 nights in my own bed all summer:shock:.
I just spent 2 days at home, out of the last month, and I'm heading out tomorrow for another 3 weeks.
Maybe we can hook up later in the fall.

RD

BCRiverBoater
07-25-2008, 10:40 PM
Well for sure Rock Doctor. We will hook up at some time. I do not have near enough hours on my new boat for this time of year. I have to hit the Sikanni this summer then I will be up north once or twice for some hunting.

BCRiverBoater
07-25-2008, 10:46 PM
If you are looking for a fishing/family boat then North River's are fine. A factory hulled North River will be destroyed in no time up north. The hulls in these boats are 12 degrees and are not suited for skinny water. You should be looking at an 8 degree hull in a 19 foot boat, max 10 degree. It makes a difference when in the shallow water. Get in touch with Riddle Marine down in the states. Apparently their prices are good and they can make a tough little boat with plastic on the bottom.

I tend to disagree on this. I have a 12 to 8 degree variable hull and I can go anywhere the 8 degrees do but of course it is mostly the 8 degree that is in the water. I know several people that have run both and it is personal choice. The 12 degrees just go a bit faster and can go anywhere the 8 degrees can. They handle better so the 12 degrees can go faster and still turn etc and work fine. As long as the hull is strong enough is the main thing. All boats touch bottom when in skinny water.

Several of the Eagle race boats in town that have 20 degree hulls run up and down the Moberly river and all the back channels we play in. I have seen them 1.5 hours up the Moberly in June. If you can go that far in a boat then very few rivers will stop you.

8 degrees are surely nice for the shallow water when loaded as you can slow right down in tight water and stay on step. There is no denying the 8 degrees are a great choice for skinny water but I would not hesitate to go to 12 degree in a 18-21' boat. Just go another 200-300 RPM and you will draft the same water as an 8 degree or real close but can handle better. After watching them in action I truly believe it really comes down to personal choice.

BCRiverBoater
07-25-2008, 10:48 PM
we have been pushing for a beefy boat, I will be in FSJ next year for the poker run with a few beefed boats, I see what you guys run on a regular basis and know what the demand is, hard to beat an outlaw lynx... I grew up on a Muskwa so I under stand what it takes to make a solid boat... it will be interesting to play with this new one....
we just built a 19 with a SC383, H212,3/8 bottom 1/4 inch 6061 delta pad and full plastic....that boat is tough....

what do you guys think of doing the gunnel tanks like wolf used to make?

I would love to see the boat and hope you do bring some up to the Poker run next year. There was a ton of new boats from different builders this year. Nice to see all the new styles. Shuman and Firefish are surely getting popular up here. Saw a few Thunder Jets and a few Edge boats as well. The Edge boats are really nice family river/lake boats. Of course there are some Harbourcrafts as well.

Big Bucks
07-25-2008, 11:33 PM
Hey Daryl I should have bought your boat years ago when you wanted to sell it . ARe you selling another one though , i saw an add with your name on it , it was another wolfmade boat . Me and Carlson are looking to get on together .

Big Bucks
07-25-2008, 11:35 PM
Hey Dirty , So do you think it would be better to go with a thunderjet over a North River boat then , Do they make Thunderjets tuff enough ?

BCRiverBoater
07-26-2008, 05:24 AM
You and Carlson to get "on" together? Is that like getting on each other. :p

Sorry I could not resist. No hard feelings I hope.

Any boat maker will custom build a boat for you with the bottom you want. Or at least most will. I can am super happy with my Firefish and they take pride in doing custom work and prefer making every boat different. They are always trying new things if no one else gives them ideas. All the guys I know up here with them would surely buy another before going anywhere else right now.

Hey Daryl I should have bought your boat years ago when you wanted to sell it . ARe you selling another one though , i saw an add with your name on it , it was another wolfmade boat . Me and Carlson are looking to get on together .

Ramshot
07-26-2008, 10:40 AM
BigBucks,
U tell Carl to give me a call and I can show u a wolfmade a buddy of mine has for sale. Man I'm glad I did not have to sell mine a few yrs back:x. Would have been my biggest mistake ever! Say hi to Roddy and Josh from me and will talk to u guys soon. Ramshot