PDA

View Full Version : Any advice on cow/calf moose hunting?

BiG Boar
07-24-2008, 08:28 AM
Saw 4 so far in my entire life. Trying to figure this out before the hunt, plan on spending 2 weeks up near ft st.james looking for these beasts. I dont know what you can do to see more of them or where to look. So far I hear red willow is good and early morning is good. Will be hunting oct 10-25th. Any help is always appriciated.

Second question is, looking to buy my brother a wedding present, am thinking of some kind of classic firearm under $1000. Want him to be able to pass it down to his kids. What would you buy? I was thinking over under shotgun.

Leaseman
07-24-2008, 08:31 AM
Look in any old slashes or burns..... in that area and that time of year, it should be as close to a freebie as you will ever get!!!

thatskindafunny
07-24-2008, 08:41 AM
No advice for the moose but an over under shotgun is a good choice. You many want to buy an old model 12 Winchester 20 gauge if it's going to be for birds.

Blainer
07-24-2008, 08:47 AM
I'm thinking you may be on you're way home on day 2,should be a fairly easy hunt,unless you hold out for a dry cow.You do know that you are supposed to harvest the calf in the event you see a cow and calf?
As far as firearm are concerned,look into the Henry line,they are replica's of the originals and I believe they still do custom engraving.
Good luck.

BiG Boar
07-24-2008, 09:03 AM
ya tell my buddy with the other draw from our group to shoot the calf and I take the cow right? Do we shoot at the same time?

Leaseman
07-24-2008, 09:05 AM
Lots of times when either the cow or calf is shot first, the other will hang around for awhile...

lip_ripper00
07-24-2008, 09:11 AM
Lots of times when either the cow or calf is shot first, the other will hang around for awhile...

The cow /calf will ALWAYS come back I waited 3 days for a calf to return after another hunter took the cow before trhe calf.

BiG Boar
07-24-2008, 09:18 AM
Would a calf live without the mother? I am guessing that it has best chances with the mother. But I am also guessing that they can live on thier own, otherwise they would make it illegal to take a cow with a calf?

lip_ripper00
07-24-2008, 09:22 AM
Would a calf live without the mother? I am guessing that it has best chances with the mother. But I am also guessing that they can live on thier own, otherwise they would make it illegal to take a cow with a calf?

bears or wolves would get it long before it starved

LeverActionJunkie
07-24-2008, 06:44 PM

thats why you are supposed to shoot the calf.

Blainer
07-24-2008, 07:09 PM
That is why it is a cow/calf draw;in the event you see a cow and calf,the responsible thing to do is harvest the calf.It would not make it thru the winter.
It probably should be illegal to harvest the cow,but what if you did'nt see the calf?
Patience.

browningboy
07-24-2008, 08:26 PM
Take the calf, best meat but beware, mom will stomp you a new arsehole if she gets the chance, as for the area, sounds like 7-28 or 29, should be a gimme however go there a few days before the leh starts to pick your moose for opening day!

hunter1947
07-25-2008, 06:06 AM
Head back in on the 115 road it is on your right side of the road headed to wards pink mountain.

This road goes forever back in there ,get back in about 70kl and find some good spur roads to turn off and hunt from them ,good luck.

CanuckShooter
07-25-2008, 08:11 AM
Saw 4 so far in my entire life. Trying to figure this out before the hunt, plan on spending 2 weeks up near ft st.james looking for these beasts. I dont know what you can do to see more of them or where to look. So far I hear red willow is good and early morning is good. Will be hunting oct 10-25th. Any help is always appriciated.

Moose love water.....cow/calf pairs will quite often be found farther away from the cultural communities near Ft. St. James...moose bed down at night and rise and move along in the mornings, so you should finda good spot and sit/watch it for several hours in the morning, this method is far more productive than road hunting.....look for tracks and fresh droppings, if you don't find any your in the wrong spot.

willyqbc
07-25-2008, 09:45 AM
so you should finda good spot and sit/watch it for several hours in the morning, this method is far more productive than road hunting.....

Having personally killed close to 20 moose and been in on at least 40 more, I will respectfully disagree with this statement. While it is not the most glamourous or exciting way to hunt moose, covering ground and checking as many slashes and openings as possible is definately the most productive way to harvest a moose in my opinion, particularly in the morning and afternoon. My rule of thumb is to look for slashes that are 5 minutes old or 5 years old....moose LOVE fresh logging and then again when its got some good growth in it. Later in the year when there is lots of snow on the ground look for older blocks with mixed growth including lots of willow.

Just my opinion
Chris