PDA

View Full Version : GOS moose areas?

jjensen20
07-23-2008, 03:10 PM
Thinkin about heading up north for the GOS on moose for august 15. The only problem is I have no clue where to go. Can anyone help point me in the right direction?

Steeleco
07-23-2008, 03:24 PM
I think you'll find info hard to find in an open forum. The area is VERY busy come that time of year. Pink Mountain on the Alaska Hwy is a popular name that gets passed around.

Best best I'd think is to read the regs, get your hands on some decent maps, study them. Pick a spot and have at er!!!

Only the animals know where the best spots are on any given day!!

BCRiverBoater
07-23-2008, 04:19 PM
Just remember the moose population took a beating 2 winters ago. There was very low amount of bulls killed last fall. It is nothing like it used to be.

elkdom
07-23-2008, 04:31 PM
the meat cooler at (pink) mountain campsite was full by noon,the 16 of Aug,last year about 30 moose,the 3 rd day of moose GOS it started raining,everbody got wet and muddy and went home! boo hoo! the butchers around Dawson Creek and Ft St John were swamped all though the first month of moose GOS, so if you wanna stay home cause some people think the tic's ate thier moose! then thats your choice!

300wsm
07-23-2008, 04:35 PM
i will be at pink mountain despite the tick/winterkill. there may be better spots but that is the spot i have studied and planned for. i will be there aug 14th setting up camp and hopefully get my meat in the first 4 days of GOS.

300wsm

moosinaround
07-23-2008, 04:51 PM
So, If "I" was going to head up to that part of the world, I personally would look for mu 7-45, 7-46. I have worked in this part of the world doing silviculture surveys, and have seen quite a few Moose in Aug/Sept. I have worked close to the beatton river, or Holman river, Off of the Jedney Oil road+- mile 126 off the Alaska Hwy to the East. It is WAY back in there, about 60-70 km's. If it rains it will be like driving on black ice, and you will require tire chains and 4 wheel drive. It is hot this time of year, so be prepared to cool your meat off with many different ways. I mean, be prepared to dip it in water, game bags, blast it into town to a cooler, hang it in a shaded gully with a breeze, or eat it! Just joking on the last one! Take a quad!! Quad trailer for behind the quad is useful too! I found a real sweet area in 7-47 near the Fontas river. We had rutting bulls in our blocks for two days straight!! It was all heli access due to it being logged in the winter with ice bridges. If a person could get across the Fontas river, and hunt canfors cut blocks up near the BC/Alberta border, it was sick with moose. Poor access though.
It will be a good adventure, scenery is pretty too. It is different than the west side of the hwy in the foothills, and I wouldn't say it was nuts with hunters, we did see a few. Anyways hope this helps, and Good luck, Moosin

elkdom
07-23-2008, 04:56 PM
So, If "I" was going to head up to that part of the world, I personally would look for mu 7-45, 7-46. I have worked in this part of the world doing silviculture surveys, and have seen quite a few Moose in Aug/Sept. I have worked close to the beatton river, or Holman river, Off of the Jedney Oil road+- mile 126 off the Alaska Hwy to the East. It is WAY back in there, about 60-70 km's. If it rains it will be like driving on black ice, and you will require tire chains and 4 wheel drive. It is hot this time of year, so be prepared to cool your meat off with many different ways. I mean, be prepared to dip it in water, game bags, blast it into town to a cooler, hang it in a shaded gully with a breeze, or eat it! Just joking on the last one! Take a quad!! Quad trailer for behind the quad is useful too! I found a real sweet area in 7-47 near the Fontas river. We had rutting bulls in our blocks for two days straight!! It was all heli access due to it being logged in the winter with ice bridges. If a person could get across the Fontas river, and hunt canfors cut blocks up near the BC/Alberta border, it was sick with moose. Poor access though.
It will be a good adventure, scenery is pretty too. It is different than the west side of the hwy in the foothills, and I wouldn't say it was nuts with hunters, we did see a few. Anyways hope this helps, and Good luck, Moosin
hey there 'moosin' you keep it up and someones gonna start believing you! just kidding you mirror my opinions here!

BCRiverBoater
07-23-2008, 05:04 PM
The moose coolers here are always full every year. That will never change. Certain areas were hit hard with winter kill in the lower lying areas. The areas farther north (Pink Mountain north) with some good wintering areas and wind swept hillsides were not really effected. You talk to the farmers closer to town and see how may kills they packed off their land.

The moose in the mountains always have done well. Of course some accessible areas get hit very hard every year by residents. The more remote the location, the more productive it usually is. I am not sure how the moose pressure will be this year with all the talk of hunters flocking here for the new elk regulations.

BCHunterFSJ
07-23-2008, 05:07 PM
What does GOS stand for??????

browningboy
07-23-2008, 05:11 PM

General open season

elkdom
07-23-2008, 05:12 PM

GOS, abreviation for General Open Season, you buys your tag,your good to go hunt! no limited entry required, no problem if you need to ask! good luck this season!

riflebuilder
07-23-2008, 05:12 PM
Take your bow when you head up for moose. You will see a lot of them along the hiway and with a bow they are legal to harvest. I saw one of the largest B Bears ever eating clover on the side of the hiway. Not bow just a camera.

M.Dean
07-23-2008, 05:13 PM
Pink Mnt. Wish i was going but can't. JJensen, if i was going i,d go to the 135 rd, just this side of Pink Mnt, drive in about 20 kms, camp at the Beaton River bridge, set up camp and then hunt the 17 km road real hard the next day. Would bet you,d see a bull in there, if not hunt around the 25km mark, some excellent trails down to the river and all along the pipe line. A 4x4 is a must, 2 sets of chains, shovel etc. Expect mud like you have never dreamed of, or dust like only hell would have! I was going to take a small jet pump this year to set up in the river to wash the quads ands try to get the mud off me at nite! I,ve been to the 171, great place, the bucking horse river was good, the 120 rd was good, seen the biggest bull ever in there, no shot, just pissed us off, Chowede River was good, but i,d try the 135 Rd. Lots of bugs, bee's and fly's, so take lots of game bags and try to get your meat to a cooler if possible, if not wash it in the river to cool it, dry it real good with your wifes towels she let you take and put it in game bags on our meat pole, watch it real close, one blow fly in the bag and you have to take the quarter out and wash it and dry it again. When you decide, keep us up to date. M.Dean

BCRiverBoater
07-23-2008, 05:16 PM
And what I meant about low number of kills is compared to past years. The moose numbers were on a steady increase finally over the last several years and the harvest numbers was supporting that. But 2 years ago was a set back on the moose numbers. I am sure the overall moose kill numbers dropped for all the peace river region as a whole last fall. Of course the serious moose hunters still got their game but had to work a little harder for it.

I have never heard of a season where Pink Mountain cooler is not full the first day if not the second. That one cooler is in the heart of over 50% of the moose hunting that happens in this region. Think about how many moose hunters are within range of that one cooler that holds about 30-45 moose. There would have to be no moose at all being shot for that cooler to remain empty. Also early in the season it is so hot you have no choice but to take your meat in. Moose killed in Sept or October rarely see a cooler and go straight to ones house/garage to be hung and process or prepped for the butcher.

browningboy
07-23-2008, 05:19 PM
Pink Mnt. Wish i was going but can't. JJensen, if i was going i,d go to the 135 rd, just this side of Pink Mnt, drive in about 20 kms, camp at the Beaton River bridge, set up camp and then hunt the 17 km road real hard the next day. Would bet you,d see a bull in there, if not hunt around the 25km mark, some excellent trails down to the river and all along the pipe line. A 4x4 is a must, 2 sets of chains, shovel etc. Expect mud like you have never dreamed of, or dust like only hell would have! I was going to take a small jet pump this year to set up in the river to wash the quads ands try to get the mud off me at nite! I,ve been to the 171, great place, the bucking horse river was good, the 120 rd was good, seen the biggest bull ever in there, no shot, just pissed us off, Chowede River was good, but i,d try the 135 Rd. Lots of bugs, bee's and fly's, so take lots of game bags and try to get your meat to a cooler if possible, if not wash it in the river to cool it, dry it real good with your wifes towels she let you take and put it in game bags on our meat pole, watch it real close, one blow fly in the bag and you have to take the quarter out and wash it and dry it again. When you decide, keep us up to date. M.Dean

Thats a good area, you can also stay at the cabins "Boreal Camp" and ask for Brian at 3 km in from the main hwy. The bridge is a nice area especially the old homested that is beside it, we ran into a huge garden shed size grizzly at the 25 km mark, its just before the large willow patch.
Good luck.

Kechika
07-23-2008, 05:20 PM
Did the 15th opener for 2 years.Heat,dust,hornets and hungry bears made me give it up.Was very succesful mind you.Just doesnt seem right to hunting swamp donkies in t-shirts and shorts.

BCRiverBoater
07-23-2008, 05:23 PM
I agree. I like hunt into Sept. or even October. I like it cold without the bugs. Meat might be iffy as they are in rut or post rut but I would chance that over the meat spoiling in the heat. Shoot one when it is 30 degrees out and you can not even enjoy a beer over some pictures as you are in to big of a hurry.

Hangovers suck when it is 30 degrees in your tent by 5am. lol

elkdom
07-23-2008, 05:28 PM
And what I meant about low number of kills is compared to past years. The moose numbers were on a steady increase finally over the last several years and the harvest numbers was supporting that. But 2 years ago was a set back on the moose numbers. I am sure the overall moose kill numbers dropped for all the peace river region as a whole last fall. Of course the serious moose hunters still got their game but had to work a little harder for it.

I have never heard of a season where Pink Mountain cooler is not full the first day if not the second. That one cooler is in the heart of over 50% of the moose hunting that happens in this region. Think about how many moose hunters are within range of that one cooler that holds about 30-45 moose. There would have to be no moose at all being shot for that cooler to remain empty. Also early in the season it is so hot you have no choice but to take your meat in. Moose killed in Sept or October rarely see a cooler and go straight to ones house/garage to be hung and process or prepped for the butcher.

Sorry to burst your burble! but the butchers in Dawson Creek had about around 150 moose hanging in thier coolers ,waiting to be cut and processed in the first week,of moose GOS last year and continued to be busy all through the GOS and also most land near DCrk is farmland and logging cut blocks,from poplar logging,so thier may be some winter kill but for the most part,not enough to concern one self over! and as for residents(local) moose hunters very few the ones who work hard to find and kill a moose!

Avalanche123
07-23-2008, 05:50 PM
.Just doesnt seem right to hunting swamp donkies in t-shirts and shorts.

I hear ya there...!

GoatGuy
07-23-2008, 05:52 PM
Moberly and Peace are very easily accessible drifts.

Couple friends, fishing rods and canoes and you're off to the races.

elkdom
07-23-2008, 05:56 PM
Did the 15th opener for 2 years.Heat,dust,hornets and hungry bears made me give it up.Was very succesful mind you.Just doesnt seem right to hunting swamp donkies in t-shirts and shorts.

come on now,think of it kinda like hunting cape buffalo ,but its cheaper and you dont have to go through all that security at the airport! and all that jet lagg! lol

lunatic
07-23-2008, 08:27 PM
Sorry to burst your burble! but the butchers in Dawson Creek had about around 150 moose hanging in thier coolers ,waiting to be cut and processed in the first week,of moose GOS last year and continued to be busy all through the GOS and also most land near DCrk is farmland and logging cut blocks,from poplar logging,so thier may be some winter kill but for the most part,not enough to concern one self over! and as for residents(local) moose hunters very few the ones who work hard to find and kill a moose!

Nope ! They ALL died !:razz:

elkdom
07-23-2008, 08:36 PM
Nope ! They ALL died !:razz:

at least the ONES who get in my cross hairs do!

BCRiverBoater
07-24-2008, 03:38 PM
Sorry to burst your burble! but the butchers in Dawson Creek had about around 150 moose hanging in their coolers ,waiting to be cut and processed in the first week,of moose GOS last year and continued to be busy all through the GOS and also most land near DCrk is farmland and logging cut blocks,from poplar logging,so their may be some winter kill but for the most part,not enough to concern one self over! and as for residents(local) moose hunters very few the ones who work hard to find and kill a moose!

Burst my burble? :)

Anyways...I am done posting on this thread as I was only stating my view and view of friends from having lived here my whole life. You seem to want to argue every point I make anyways. I did not say you will or will not get your moose in this area. I was stating the numbers were down and they had a hard winter as they do every so many years. Of course the coolers are getting animals and they always will get animals as there are literally 1000's of hunters in region 7 every fall.

I do not even hunt moose as I am too busy chasing elk and sheep but I spend a ton of time on the rivers and back roads and also talk to 100's of locals and I can honestly say in the FSJ area that the numbers of moose I am seeing is way down from past years. Of course there are still plenty of moose but the numbers were on a very good rise 3-4 years ago and I feel they took a good hit. Of course over time they will rebound.

One thing to add is the moose I am seeing this year look very healthy and most cows had a healthy calf. I do not spend any time around Pink Mountain but I think the moose wintered well in the mountains that winter. The wintering areas of the mountains do not change much year to year and that is why they are the wintering ares.

Last spring we actually found 1 dead bull and 1 dead cow elk just lying under trees within 200 yards of a cabin. They looked like they just laid down and died. Appears they starved to death as there were no marks on them at all. Found it strange that we heard of all the dying moose etc from the hard winter and then we find 2 dead elk as well. Was no tics by any means but the 6-8 feet of snow with several hard crust layers surely played a role in this low lying area. Last fall I saw probably half the elk I had seen the previous year (could have just been a bad time of season or unlucky trip) and saw virtually no moose. I think it we saw 2-3 cows and one small bull. The fall before we were seeing about 10-20 moose a day and passed up several immature bulls and one legal 35-40" bull. Maybe coincidence but we definatily saw way less moose in hunting season. Again we were not looking for moose but that is what I personally saw while elk hunting.

Maybe purely coincidence but who am I to argue...I am only trying to state my view so feel free to pick it apart once again. I am obviously not the expert that other appear to be.

Blainer
07-24-2008, 10:44 PM
I have to agree with BCRIVERBOATER,last year is the first time I left without a moose.I usually have one on the ground opening day and between friends and locals that I know,I have seen as many as 13 hit the ground on day one.The old timer I hunt with has lived in the area for better than 70 years and it took him till day 8 to harvest a moose.
Just my opinion and not to upset anyone,but if I'm at a loss for a butcher,I'll contact Elkdom as he seems to know them all and how full they are.LOL
No offence as I'm sure the locals that live in the area would still get there moose,just a little more effort and fuel.

hunter1947
07-25-2008, 05:59 AM
J Jensen head up to Hudson hope region 7-35.

When you go buy the town about 6kl there is a road called Farrell creek rd ,take that road and head back in about the 6klm mark anywhere in that area is good for moose ,we connected on moose the two years we went there and were never there before ,we where there on Aug 15 for the hunt ,PS take a face net and some off to help keep you in your right mind.
Good luck. PS ,If you need any more directions feel free to PM me.

lunatic
07-25-2008, 08:30 AM
The moose are there......they are just slow learners......it took them a long time to learn to hide from all you LML foreigners:smile:

ryanb
07-26-2008, 08:29 PM
I was out last fall for early moose in the Chetwynd/Dawson Creek area. I only saw three or four cows, and one bull before opener on the 14th in 5 days total. It wasn't a serious hunt so I wasn't broken up about coming home empty handed. What really struck me though, was not hearing a single gunshot in those 5 days, and its open county where a gunshot sound will TRAVEL.