PDA

View Full Version : West Coast Seal cull

mmcleodk
07-22-2008, 01:16 PM
Where can I find some information on this? I've heard it happens up island just about annually and was hoping to get involve in the next upcoming one.

Mr. Dean
07-22-2008, 01:38 PM
Think its a Pipe Dream.... Unless you're a poacher.

huntcoop
07-22-2008, 02:21 PM
Would poacher be the right name?

mmcleodk
07-22-2008, 05:28 PM
I had heard that they have one up island yearly? oh well I guess I was wrong

BlacktailStalker
07-22-2008, 05:29 PM
Contact fisheries and find out.

07-22-2008, 05:54 PM
I got excited there for a second!

mmcleodk
07-22-2008, 06:01 PM
I'll ask around, I remember because I have family up in Bowser and they were talking about it. Also its made newspapers a few times because protestors have made a big kerfuffle about it.

Rob
07-22-2008, 07:38 PM
Remember a couple years ago when paul mcartney and his bi%ch were trying to shut it down on the East Coast? I think she was trying to ban milk in the U.K as well at the time.People with too much $ can be dangerous.

Stone Sheep Steve
07-22-2008, 08:00 PM
Maybe this is the one you were referring to???

http://www.nationalpost.com/nationalpost/story.html?id=455979

SSS

ratherbefishin
07-23-2008, 12:51 PM
west coast seal cull?....no but it happens....I was talking to a visitor from the US who chartered a days salmon fishing last year -and lost 5 springs in a row to seals.He didn't seem too inclined to shell out another $300 this year.That's got to hurt the charter industry....
Here's a question for anybody opposing a seal cull-this guy hooked and lost 5 salmon to seals-if he had landed 2 -he would have limited out and quit fishing-but because of the seals-he killed,albeit indirectly-3 more.Does that make sense from a salmon conservation point of view?Think about it...

SAVAGE300
07-23-2008, 04:28 PM
I say kill or move them all and the makeral too, gotta wonder why theres no salmon-- makeral eat little fishes coming out of the sumas and other rivers, they havent got a chance to make to open waters

ratherbefishin
07-23-2008, 07:58 PM
I'm not sure if the ban on killing seals applies to First Nations people-if not maybe they could be pursueded to conduct a ''food fishery''...the thing is-my understanding is in the open ocean-seals can only catch salmon when they are already on a line-so salmon are not a natural food source to them.Therefore by not culling the seals, we are contributing to overpopulating them in areas where they are taking salmon.On top of this-not culling seals in rivers is putting endangered runs at risk,nulifying all the conservation work designed to restore the run.
What really annoys and frustrates me is the fact that a small group of vocal politically correct people can influence a whole fishery-and make a common sense solution illegal.When I hear about extraordinary[and expensive] methods being taken to ''relocate'' seal and sealions away from locks or river mouths,most of which don't work anyway-instead of just shooting them-it makes me wonder just who is making the decisions anyway.Where is common sense inall this-and why do these eco-wackos get given the time of day?

silvicon
07-23-2008, 08:11 PM
a hornet does it.
don't you guys have one on your boats?

clients lost some big springs last year, flasher and all.
not so this year (:

ratherbefishin
07-23-2008, 09:19 PM
seals get educated quickly-when I was a kid there was a $5 bounty on a seals nose-and you couldn't get within 100 yards of one-and they NEVER swam behind you boat.I don't want to get rid of all the seals-I just want ''educated'' ones-staying well clear of boats

Johnnybear
07-24-2008, 10:15 PM
My understaning is that fish farms:mad: can shoot them or used to be able to. Go figure. Their numbers (harbour seals) is off the map in the Georgia Straight. I must say I haven't seen as many sea lions around the East side (Nanaimo area) in the last 2 years but maybe they are moving to different areas. That marine mammal protection law that was put in place a few years back put's a nail in the coffin of ever decreasing the population.